Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #281
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Why do you assume that he won't double dip and try to get as much as possible? He still has a lot of varlue.
Who is under the cap and likely to make the play offs?

I only see Dallas.

Perhaps he can get the $2.5 million exception, but that's the maximum if he wants to go to a play off team. I'm not sure under the new CBA whether the salary he would receive after clearing waivers is deducted from what Houston pays him or not. If it is, then he will surely play at the vet's minimum because it won't matter.

I guess maybe he could go to Europe and collect two salaries?

In any event, other than leaving the NBA, I only see three possible destinations: San Antonio (the favorite); Dallas and Miami.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #282
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
If he is not claimed from amnesty waivers, he can sign as a free agent with any team, and can take as much as that team is willing to offer him. So he could easily get $4-5M a year from someone else, essentially making about $15M total this season.
Thanks...so Scola is wishing like hell that he clears waivers, I don't know if the MBT should get on the way of his wishes, save the ammo and move into better things.
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #283
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer View Post
Who is under the cap and likely to make the play offs?

I only see Dallas.

Perhaps he can get the $2.5 million exception, but that's the maximum if he wants to go to a play off team. I'm not sure under the new CBA whether the salary he would receive after clearing waivers is deducted from what Houston pays him or not. If it is, then he will surely play at the vet's minimum because it won't matter.

I guess maybe he could go to Europe and collect two salaries?

In any event, other than leaving the NBA, I only see three possible destinations: San Antonio (the favorite); Dallas and Miami.

If he clears waivers, he makes every penny that he signs for. He'll be a true free agent at that point. And he might be after one more big payday as opposed to joining a playoff team. Who knows.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #284
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

You have to bid at least 3mill a year for scola. He's an asset we can trade next summer. When FREE AGENTS like Nash costs 4 draft picks and mahinmi costs dahntay and Collison, picking up a solid starter and borderline star for nothing but cap space is a no brainer.

Seems like the new free-agency is all about snt deals that cost the new team more than just the new salary. Talented players rarely change teams without the new team giving up something and the old team getting something. Even if all we can seing next year is a late 1st rounder and cash, it's a huge net positive.

We may have missed out in deron but if we can use the space to stockpile cheap talent/trade chips that can get us that star later, then were really making lemonade in Dallas.

Plus, underpayed talent is only going to get more valuable. If scola is tradable under the same 2-4ml/yr salary, he'd be even more valuable as a trade chip when teams finally cinch their belts. A team may hesitate to pick up an over-paid humphreys but if they can pick up a solid starting piece for 3mill per, that's gotta be worth more.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-13-2012 at 08:47 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #285
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If he is not claimed from amnesty waivers, he can sign as a free agent with any team, and can take as much as that team is willing to offer him. So he could easily get $4-5M a year from someone else, essentially making about $15M total this season.
I may be looking at this wrong...

How many teams actually have that much to spend at this juncture? Whatever the number is for those teams that can throw him $4-5M, wouldn't they just be the ones who could potentially get him with a bid?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #286
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Edit: He can sign with any team except for the Rockets.
I thought that any money that Scola signed for, even after clearing wavers, would be duducted from the amount the Rockets owed him. So if his contract was $10M and he signed one for $4M with team X, then the rockets would only owe him $6M. So by negotiating a higher than minimum salary, wouldn't net Scola anything unless he got some team to pay him more than $10M/yr. Is this not the case?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #287
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I may be looking at this wrong...

How many teams actually have that much to spend at this juncture? Whatever the number is for those teams that can throw him $4-5M, wouldn't they just be the ones who could potentially get him with a bid?
I'm assuming that there would be a team near the cap that would offer him a portion or the entire MLE. To be honest, I don't know offhand which teams still have the whole thing to offer, but he's a good get at that price IYAM.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #288
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB View Post
I thought that any money that Scola signed for, even after clearing wavers, would be duducted from the amount the Rockets owed him. So if his contract was $10M and he signed one for $4M with team X, then the rockets would only owe him $6M. So by negotiating a higher than minimum salary, wouldn't net Scola anything unless he got some team to pay him more than $10M/yr. Is this not the case?
I don't believe that's the case with this Amnesty clause. It was for the previous one, though.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #289
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRB View Post
I believe that's only the case if he doesn't clear waivers. Once he does, Houston is on the hook for his salary, and he gets to double dip with his new team, as well.

Frankly, the idea that a guy of Scola's caliber would take the vet min is pretty out there. I don't know every single team's cap situation offhand, either, but I know the Hornets have space, and several other teams should have at least a BAE or mini-MLE to offer.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #290
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
You have to bid at least 3mill a year for scola. He's an asset we can trade next summer. When FREE AGENTS like Nash costs 4 draft picks and mahinmi costs dahntay and Collison, picking up a solid starter and borderline star for nothing but cap space is a no brainer.

Seems like the new free-agency is all about snt deals that cost the new team more than just the new salary. Talented players rarely change teams without the new team giving up something and the old team getting something. Even if all we can seing next year is a late 1st rounder and cash, it's a huge net positive.

We may have missed out in deron but if we can use the space to stockpile cheap talent/trade chips that can get us that star later, then were really making lemonade in Dallas.

Plus, underpayed talent is only going to get more valuable. If scola is tradable under the same 2-4ml/yr salary, he'd be even more valuable as a trade chip when teams finally cinch their belts. A team may hesitate to pick up an over-paid humphreys but if they can pick up a solid starting piece for 3mill per, that's gotta be worth more.
It might be the way that the MBT wants to go but at some point you have to go for the betterment of the team...Scola cannot play SF or Center he is a PF by definition..Dirk, Brand,Wright and Marion can play that position at ease.

If you bid on Scola for basketball reasons at this point make sure that it will not hinder you in the pursuit of a capable SG (Lee/Rush)

What is the minimum you can bid on Scola? a million? Deal...because I cannot see him getting more than 18 minutes a game and if it gets more is because Dirk is hurt and in that case.....Game Over
Old 07-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #291
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't believe that's the case with this Amnesty clause. It was for the previous one, though.
OK, that makes sense. I didn't realize that this one was different in that aspect. Sounds like a really good deal for a player to clear waivers. Scola should really play up the knee injury.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #292
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Belinelli, Dirk, Kaman would make us the whitest starting lineup in a long while?

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #293
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think Belinelli, Dirk, Kaman would make us the whitest starting lineup in a long while?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #294
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I just had it pointed out to me that the GIF I posted above is a really, really bad match with my current sig... Totally unintentional.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #295
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Sooooo European.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #296
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like Courtney Lee should be highly attainable for the 4.5Mil we have left, but I think the real sticking point would be the years. I don't think there's any way the Mavs go more than two years at that price.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #297
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

i wonder why the mavs are just getting guys with 1 year left on their contract? i dont care about the next big free agent in 2013. i care about now big baby. deron williams isnt a michael jordan.
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:25 PM   #298
jamaljasonandjimmy

jamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of lightjamaljasonandjimmy is a glorious beacon of light

do the mavs still got the brazilian guy?
jamaljasonandjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #299
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I feel like Courtney Lee should be highly attainable for the 4.5Mil we have left, but I think the real sticking point would be the years. I don't think there's any way the Mavs go more than two years at that price.
Agree with the thought process. I don't think a two-year deal is that much of a stretch for a guy that can shoot the rock as well as he can and has some defensive chops in him.

Also, it would appear the growth process for guys like DoJo and Roddy could meet their final wall if Lee, or any perimeter shooter who would be brought on, performs to a level of that is somewhat realistic. You'd have guys like Lee, Carter and Dahntay that could get minutes at the position...leaving few minutes for the young ones.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #300
pepe

Quote:
So far I heard about Courtney Lee, Foye and Belinelli, what about BRush? We might to be able to squeeze him out of the Warriors... KThompson and HBarnes are in his way not too much time for him
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #301
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe View Post
So far I heard about Courtney Lee, Foye and Belinelli, what about BRush? We might to be able to squeeze him out of the Warriors... KThompson and HBarnes are in his way not too much time for him
Rush would be fantastic, but he's restricted. Can't see the Warriors letting him go.

I'm personally not real interested in Belinelli.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #302
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
I think the difference between Rush and the rest is that he's a RFA.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #303
pepe

Quote:
Rush would be fantastic, but he's restricted. Can't see the Warriors letting him go.

I'm personally not real interested in Belinelli.
The Warriors have

Bogut
Lee
Curry
Thompson
Barnes
*Rush
*Jack

With Biedrens and Jefferson in payroll...3/15 will the Warriors match that?

Last edited by pepe; 07-13-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #304
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
The Warriors have

Bogut
Lee
Curry
Thompson
Barnes
*Rush
*Jack

With Beidrens are Jefferson in payroll...3/15 will the Warriors match that?
Yes. Without question.

And I'm not sure we'd offer that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #305
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaljasonandjimmy View Post
i wonder why the mavs are just getting guys with 1 year left on their contract? i dont care about the next big free agent in 2013. i care about now big baby. deron williams isnt a michael jordan.
If you only care about "now" then one year contracts should suffice, shouldn't they? I mean, we pretty much grabbed the best players that were left on the market AND maintained flexibility to land a big name free agent next summer.

Win-win.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #306
Underdog

Quote:
Boston Celtics Trying to Work Sign-and-Trade with Terry and Mavs
Bleacher Craport

According to WEEI, the Boston Celtics are attempting a sign-and-trade deal with shooting guard Jason Terry and the Dallas Mavericks, hoping to gain an advantage in landing free agents Courtney Lee or O.J. Mayo.

It appeared as though the Celtics were set on signing Terry to the mid-level exception, but now it seems as though they will try to bring Terry in via trade.

Regardless of whether or not the trade ends up happening, Terry will be coming to Boston. The trade is merely a way to try to get around the salary cap. A deal would allow Boston to pursue other options with the mid-level exception—most likely Lee or Mayo. Both names have been linked to Boston over the past few weeks.

Terry's former team, the Dallas Mavericks, are trying to work out a deal with Boston that would give them at least something in return, possibly a second-round draft pick for the future.

This deal would actually work well for all sides. The C's would get their desired man and a chance for another, the Mavericks would get some sort of return for the former Sixth Man of the Year and Terry might be able to make a little more money.

Suddenly, Boston could come out of free agency with not one but two solid players to come off the bench in 2012-13.

It is simply a brilliant move by Boston, and it could end up paying huge dividends.

Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.
So if we did a sign-and-trade with Boston, then they'd be free to pursue OJ Mayo or Courtney Lee? Aren't we looking at those guys too?

I'd rather pass on getting a second-rounder and make a play at Lee...

Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #307
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

They don't have the cap room to SnT Jet anymore anyway. Not at 5Mil+, at least.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #308
Underdog

Quote:
Good... Then that pretty much puts Boston out of the running for Lee too.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2012 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #309
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Ok, I'm comparing the potential of this roster to our championship team. Yeah, I am.

The summer before we started our championship season we were discussing and breaking down our team and probably considering ourselves a second-tier team that is trying to get over the hump of getting bounced in the first round.

Then 2011 happened. It showed us that if the chemistry and coaching is right, anything can happen. With that said, I want to compare our rosters on paper.

Defense - I think overall, our roster this year looks better defensively. Yes, Tyson is still a better defensive center than Kaman will ever be, but Kaman is not bad and Brand will be solid when he plays center. Only Marcus Camby had better stats playing post defense last season than Elton Brand (quoting Mark Followill on The Ticket yesterday). Jones is like our Deshawn. Collison is quicker than Kidd and can run with Westbrook types. Marion is still here (a joke he wasn't on the all defensive team last year) and if you bring Delonte back, we look salty on defense.

Offense - Give Dirk a full summer off and a full training camp and I believe he will be back to form. Kaman is a better offensive center than Tyson Chandler will ever be. His free throws are 10% better than Chandler and 25% better than Haywood. Brand is also much better than either of those guys offensively. He is also better at free throws. Brand destroys either of Dirks backups the last two seasons (Cardinal and Odom). Right now our front court is as good as it has ever been. Our back court is NOT as good as the championship team offensively. It won't be unless you get someone like Courtney Lee (.400 3-point shooter). If that happens you successfully replace Terry and then make the argument that our backcourt is close enough to our championship team and the front court is better. We also have Vince Carter who can give quality minutes. Collison can penetrate like JJ. His ability to run THIS offense is yet to be determined, but I would still give Jason Kidd the advantage in that category.

Coaching - the same, but with more defensive weapons. He must adapt our offense to the bigger front court.

Overall, you can make the argument that if this team could get deep enough in the playoffs, anything can happen. I can cite 2011 for proof of that. The "experts" believe OKC is light years ahead of us. It's BS. That's the same OKC roster we beat in 5 games two years ago. We did it with defense. If this new squad is better defensively, you can make the argument that we can get past them.

I'm not saying we are better than 2011. I'm saying chemistry and coaching could potentially put us in the same position/opportunity as 2011. Feel free to laugh at me and say that I'm stretching, but whoever tried to make the case that the 2011 squad was championship material going into the season probably got laughed out of the room as well.

Last edited by howdoesmydirktaste; 07-14-2012 at 10:32 AM.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #310
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

2011 Kidd and Dirk trumps anything we've done to the roster thus far.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #311
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
Kaman/Brand >>> Chandler/Haywood

Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #312
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Kaman/Brand >>> Chandler/Haywood
No. Quality over quantity.

And like I said 2011 Kidd and Dirk trumps anything we've done thus far.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #313
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Quote:
Isn't there some exception that lets you re-sign a player after his contract runs out without worrying about cap space? I don't think it matters if the Mavs have 5 mil in space in this instance.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #314
Underdog

Quote:
No. Quality over quantity.
Both Kaman and Brand are closer to Tyson's defensive skill level than most centers in the league and they're both better than him on offense... Haywood is trash on offense and is only effective on defense in certain matchups.

The quality is there. The quantity is there. This is the strongest the center position has ever been in the history of the franchise and it's not even close.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #315
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Considering we haven't even gone into training camp with this roster, I will agree with you. Plus Dirk and Kidd won a championship.

My point is that, going into the championship season, I'm not so sure your argument would still be made (getting bounced in the first round every year). The second part of my point is that you never know what you're going to get with potential and good coaching.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #316
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

Hey guys I agree this team is shaping up to be a solid team. I'm just not going to compare it to the same team that bulldozed through the NBA on its way to a title. Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Marion, Barea, Chandler all had the best performances of their careers all at the same time.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #317
Underdog

Quote:
Hey guys I agree this team is shaping up to be a solid team. I'm just not going to compare it to the same team that bulldozed through the NBA on its way to a title. Dirk, Kidd, Terry, Marion, Barea, Chandler all had the best performances of their careers all at the same time.
But the initial comparison was the perception of this team BEFORE the 2011 season started - you know, back when the entire world would've laughed at the notion that an oft-injured Tyson Chandler and a tiny little Jose Barea would've been the guys that not only put us over the top, but helped a perennial first round exit squad like the Mavs bulldoze their way to a ring...

Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Darren Collison could be underrated in the same way right now. Wait until Rick Carlisle gets his hands on them and Dirk opens everything up on the court for them before you judge.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #318
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Yeah, but going into that magical season, I don't even think the MBT fully knew what we had. I don't think anyone knows what we truly have this season. But on paper, I'm willing to make the argument that this team has potential that could rival that team. I'm not saying it will happen. But I will say that it could happen.

I'm hoping that coaching was the catalyst that brought out the best in that 2011 team. If that's the case, you can make the argument that this team could be coached into hanging with OKC and LA (since we have the same coach).
Old 07-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #319
howdoesmydirktaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But the initial comparison was the perception of this team BEFORE the 2011 season started - you know, back when the entire world would've laughed at the notion that an oft-injured Tyson Chandler and a tiny little Jose Barea would've been the guys that not only put us over the top, but helped a perennial first round exit squad like the Mavs bulldoze their way to a ring...

Chris Kaman, Elton Brand and Darren Collison could be underrated in the same way right now. Wait until Rick Carlisle gets his hands on them and Dirk opens everything up on the court for them before you judge.
Precisely.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #320
howdoesmydirktaste

The intangible that helped us win our championship was well-coached experienced veterans.

What do you call Dirk, Brand, Kaman and Carter with Rick as their coach?

Tags
4th seed or bust, big cocks, booster for the rooster, cockadoodledont!, cockadoodledoo!, cubes > russia., let's talk about roosters, let's talk about russia, let's talk about sex, wests side story