Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #281
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
In other thoughts, any worry on chemistry between Deron Williams and Carlisle? I just remember how much Utah was in disarray because of his relationship with Sloan. We all know how tough Carlisle can be on the PGs.
@espn_macmahon: Rick Carlisle on Deron Williams: "I'm a long-time fan. When this situation popped up, it was almost like it was too good to be true."

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-14-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #282
conjurer

conjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to allconjurer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@espn_macmahon: Rick Carlisle on Deron Williams: "I'm a long-time fan. When this situation popped up, it was almost like it was too good to be true."
Let's first see if he's still around next year, Rick.

Last edited by conjurer; 07-14-2015 at 07:08 PM.
conjurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:27 PM   #283
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@espn_macmahon: Rick Carlisle on Deron Williams: "I'm a long-time fan. When this situation popped up, it was almost like we are now the most non-athletic starting five in the league"
Fixed.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #284
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Fixed.
Those guys aren't athletic but all five of those guys in that starting lineup are fundamentally sound. They're going to give opposing teams fits with ball movement, shooting, and high IQ basketball plays. I'm pretty optimistic, I just hope everyone can get and stay healthy.
LSMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #285
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Those guys aren't athletic but all five of those guys in that starting lineup are fundamentally sound. They're going to give opposing teams fits with ball movement, shooting, and high IQ basketball plays. I'm pretty optimistic, I just hope everyone can get and stay healthy.
If we can get someone to help clear the boards I agree. This will be Parsons year to show if he can be an 18+PPg, efficient scorer. This team is HIGHLY susceptible to health issues, but with some luck I like our chances. Either way, we got some reasons to root and cheer for our Mavs as Dirk rides out his final years.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #286
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

If only we had a rebounding center to go with deron. FU jordan for wasting the FO time
Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM   #287
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

‏@DLord_DBdotcom: Contract info on Deron WIlliams #Mavs - as signed, a 1 yr deal for $5.4M in 2015-16, plus player opt to add another year at $5.6M

Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #288
Joe Blow

Joe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the rough
Default First Post

I'm here, not because of the Mavs, per se, but because I'm a long-time Williams fan. It will be interesting to see how he performs this year, at home. He was a leader and had a lot of "fire" in Utah and, despite their occasional clashes, had a lot of respect for Sloan. Overall, he played quite well in Brooklyn, just not up to the huge expectations which his signing generated.

I don't think he is "through" by any means, but he definitely needed a change of scenery. Once I get familiar with the Mavs, I'm sure I will learn to love them all. But, to be honest, for now I'm mainly interested in seeing if Deron can have a "comeback" year.

The talent is still there but his motivation has seemed to be lacking and his injuries have slowed him down. Although he was always much quicker than he appeared to be capable of in his younger days, he always relied heavily on fakes and deception. He is capable of playing an excellent "old man's game," I figure. We'll see, I guess.
Joe Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #289
Joe Blow

Joe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the roughJoe Blow is a jewel in the rough
Default Just a few months ago...

Williams did this against the Mavs, as y'all may recall. Not trying to stir up resentments, but it's better to have a player performing at that caliber with you, rather than against you, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNFf_UY5vk

Not sure how to incorporate a link into a word, or I would have embedded the link into the word "this."

Can someone educate me on these formatting matters?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:14 AM   #290
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blow View Post
Not sure how to incorporate a link into a word, or I would have embedded the link into the word "this."

Can someone educate me on these formatting matters?
Easiest way IMO is to type the word which you would like to attach the link to then highlight it and click the chain link + globe icon("insert link") and then type/paste the link in the pop up window.

It would look something like this-

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVNFf_UY5vk"]This[/URL*]

Simply delete the asterisk I have added to the end above and it would work.

The other way I know of is to click the insert link button first and type/paste the link in and then after you will need to delete the text following the "]" brace and bfore the "[/URL" brace. either way what I typed above minus the asterisk is what you would see when making the post.

Cheers, and here is to Deron having an offense that is more catered to his strengths and less pressure, here in Dallas, than being "the guy" in Brooklyn.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 07-17-2015 at 01:23 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #291
Joe Blow

Default Thanks for your help, Bryan.

I'm trying it out now with a link to another relatively recent game with Brooklyn. Here Williams is playing the gunner a role which he does not generally prefer.

I've tried in multiple times, but still can't seem to end up with a workable link, for some reason.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 07-17-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #292
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGR4pW-lWY"]Gunner[/URL*]

Edit your post with this(delete the asterisk) if you still can't get it to work on your own, you somehow got some added protocols in your direct link when pasting it into the box, or when you made a few edits a mistake was made.

I think maybe you tried to do both steps? I find it easiest to type "Gunner" highlight it then click the link button then in the box that pops up paste the link " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INGR4pW-lWY "

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 07-17-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:05 AM   #293
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

Quote:
I'm here, not because of the Mavs, per se, but because I'm a long-time Williams fan. It will be interesting to see how he performs this year, at home. He was a leader and had a lot of "fire" in Utah and, despite their occasional clashes, had a lot of respect for Sloan. Overall, he played quite well in Brooklyn, just not up to the huge expectations which his signing generated.

I don't think he is "through" by any means, but he definitely needed a change of scenery. Once I get familiar with the Mavs, I'm sure I will learn to love them all. But, to be honest, for now I'm mainly interested in seeing if Deron can have a "comeback" year.

The talent is still there but his motivation has seemed to be lacking and his injuries have slowed him down. Although he was always much quicker than he appeared to be capable of in his younger days, he always relied heavily on fakes and deception. He is capable of playing an excellent "old man's game," I figure. We'll see, I guess.
I am also optimistic about Williams. This is still Dirk's team. All Williams has to do is drive the bus on the court. No one is asking him to lead off the court. He can just play basketball. Regardless of how much money you make Dallas life style is a lot less hectic and stressful than NYC. That should alos make a difference. I have I hopes for DWill.
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:07 AM   #294
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

I have Deron ranked as the 7th best point guard in the Western Conf.

1. Chris Paul, Clipers
2. Stephen Curry, GoldSt.
3. Russell Westbrook, OKC
4. Mike Conley, Mem.
5. Damian Lillard, Trailblzrs.
6. Tony Parker, Spurs
7. Deron Williams, Mavs
8. Ty Lawson, Nuggets
9. Patrick Beverley, Rockets
10. Ricky Rubio, Twolves
11. Jrue Holiday, Pelicans
12. Eric, Bledsoe, Suns
13. Trey Burke, Jazz
14. D'Angelo Russell, Lakers
15. Rajon Rondo, Kings
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM   #295
howdoesmydirktaste

howdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud ofhowdoesmydirktaste has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post

1. Chris Paul, Clipers
4. Mike Conley, Mem.
6. Tony Parker, Spurs
7. Deron Williams, Mavs
8. Ty Lawson, Nuggets
10. Ricky Rubio, Twolves
12. Eric, Bledsoe, Suns
13. Trey Burke, Jazz
15. Rajon Rondo, Kings
And we're gunning for the 7th or 8th seed, so that's about right.
howdoesmydirktaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #296
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Quote:

1. Chris Paul, Clipers
4. Mike Conley, Mem.
6. Tony Parker, Spurs
7. Deron Williams, Mavs
8. Ty Lawson, Nuggets
10. Ricky Rubio, Twolves
12. Eric, Bledsoe, Suns
13. Trey Burke, Jazz
15. Rajon Rondo, Kings
Good list. And a great deal considering the following:
Paul - $20MM
Curry - $10MM (but soon to be $25MM+)
Westbrook - $16MM
Lillard - $25MM
Parker - $13MM
Conley - $10MM (and soon to be ~$20MM+)
D-Will - $5.6MM
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #297
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

1. Chris Paul, Clipers
4. Mike Conley, Mem.
6. Tony Parker, Spurs
7. Deron Williams, Mavs
8. Ty Lawson, Nuggets
10. Ricky Rubio, Twolves
12. Eric, Bledsoe, Suns
13. Trey Burke, Jazz
15. Rajon Rondo, Kings
I would put Bledsoe much higher. Right around where Deron Williams is. Rest of list is about right.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #298
Joe Blow

Default What went wrong with Williams?

Bill Self (now with Kansas) was the head coach at Illinois and, as I recall, recruited Deron and coached him for one year. Then Self bolted for Kansas and Illinois hired a successful coach from a smaller school (SIU), Bruce Webber, to replace him.

Webber wanted to install a motion offense and it confused most of the Illinois players, who were accustomed to Self's High-Low offense. Deron was the first to buy in and convinced his other teammates to apply themselves to mastering the new offense. That was Deron's sophomore season and they ended up losing to Duke in the sweet sixteen that year.

The next year, the team started out 29-0 and was ranked #1 all year long after beating Wake Forest. Early in the season Chris Paul's team (Wake Forest) came to Illinois ranked #1 and got thoroughly stomped (down by 30 points before losing by 19 or so). Illinois lost it's final regular-season game to a mediocre Ohio State team on a last second shot by a scrub, but then blew through the Big Ten and NCAA touraments, finally losing to North Carolina in the final when they had a chance to tie with less than a minute left.

That very year, NC sent 4 players to the NBA, all of whom were chosen as lottery picks, so they were a formidable opponent. Illinois ended up 37-2 (an NCAA record for wins at that point) and Deron skipped his senior year, to be drafted by Utah.

The point? Jerry Sloan ran a motion (flex) offense that suited Deron perfectly. Deron was very disillusioned with Avery Johnson's "iso" offense in his first year, and Brooklyn had a different coach, and radically different rosters, every year he was there. There was simply no continuity and no highly structured offense while he was there.

Various nagging injuries to his wrist and ankles also slowed him down, but even apart from them, he just never seem to feel comfortable and "at home" in Brooklyn, and that was at least one major reason for his "decline." Even so, he put up some very impressive numbers in Brooklyn and made the all-star team once while there.

From what I know, Deron should be much happier with Carlisle and his offense. He is friends with Dirk; they have played together on all-star teams. He and Wes Mathews had great chemistry at Utah and played very well together. As you all know, Dallas is "home" for Deron. All said and done, he should be much more comfortable in Dallas, I figure.

As some of the posted videos show, the talent is still there. Some of the athleticism is gone, but maybe not permanently. He never really based his game on athleticism to begin with anyway, so it's not as important to him as it is to others who succeed primarily on the basis of athleticism alone.

Deron is a sensitive soul in some respects, but you don't become a two-time state wrestling champ in a big-ass state like Texas without also having a considerable reservoir of toughness. Haters gunna hate, but there is no reason to bash Williams and predict disaster with him at this point. I think he will deliver much more than most seem to expect.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 07-20-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #299
Melonhead
Guru

I hope he sticks around for the rest of his career in Dallas. Solid smart vet, we just need a few pieces around the core of Deron, Wes, Parsons, and Dirk(for a couple more years)
Old 07-21-2015, 12:56 AM   #300
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Seeing the Deal the Rockets got (13M for Lawson and 2nd year not even guaranteed) while not giving up a single rotation player or Toppick we should have made that deal when we had a chance.

We could have even signed Deron aswell with his 5M per year contract while giving away Feltons Contract...That paired with DeAndre or atleast Tyson and we would be contending.

Now we are probably a 10th seed in the West.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #301
Twenty4sevenn

Twenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to allTwenty4sevenn is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
Seeing the Deal the Rockets got (13M for Lawson and 2nd year not even guaranteed) while not giving up a single rotation player or Toppick we should have made that deal when we had a chance.

We could have even signed Deron aswell with his 5M per year contract while giving away Feltons Contract...That paired with DeAndre or atleast Tyson and we would be contending.

If we get the good version of Deron Williams (which I think is a real possibility under Carlisle), he's better than Lawson. And for $8 million less.

The only thing to be upset about here is that Houston got Lawson. Not that we didn't.
Twenty4sevenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 AM   #302
Underdog

Quote:

How the hell does Houston getting Ty Lawson suddenly make us "10th seed in the West" when the Rockets were already the #2 seed? It's not like he went to New Orleans or Phoenix.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #303
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

So the Mavs are in the mess they are in because they traded draft picks for vets and treated the draft poorly in general by most people around here's assumption. So then the solution to getting us out of the problem is to trade a first for Ty Lawson?

Old 07-21-2015, 01:18 PM   #304
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
How the hell does Houston getting Ty Lawson suddenly make us "10th seed in the West" when the Rockets were already the #2 seed? It's not like he went to New Orleans or Phoenix.
1. Warriors
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. OKC
6. Grizzlies
7. Suns
8. Pelicans

Mavs and Jazz probably battle out the 9th and 10th spot.

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #305
Underdog

Quote:
1. Warriors
2. Clippers
3. Spurs
4. Houston
5. OKC
6. Grizzlies
7. Suns
8. Pelicans

Mavs and Jazz probably battle out the 9th and 10th spot.
What the hell does anything in this post have to do with Ty Lawson??

And you're ranking our team when we don't even have a starting center yet? Yeah, a half-baked cake tastes like shit -- maybe you should wait until it's done cooking before you try a bite.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-21-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #306
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets wait to see how many games Tyson plays for the suns next season....wouldnt be surprised if he misses at least 20
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #307
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Lets wait to see how many games Tyson plays for the suns next season....wouldnt be surprised if he misses at least 20
Why do you say that? I know historically he has been somewhat injury prone, but PHX has one of if not the best training staff in the league.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #308
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What the hell does anything in this post have to do with Ty Lawson??

And you're ranking our team when we don't even have a starting center yet? Yeah, a half-baked cake tastes like shit -- maybe you should wait until it's done cooking before you try a bite.
You don't think the Mavs have their starting center?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #309
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
You don't think the Mavs have their starting center?
We're talking about a guy who played 23.7 MPG last season and averaged over 30 MPG only once in his 12-year career (back in 05-06)... So, no, I don't think the Mavs have their starting center.

But they do have one of the better backup centers in the league.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #310
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

oops. wrong thread

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 07-21-2015 at 02:38 PM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #311
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We're talking about a guy who played 23.7 MPG last season and averaged over 30 MPG only once in his 12-year career (back in 05-06)... So, no, I don't think the Mavs have their starting center.

But they do have one of the better backup centers in the league.
Well, 23.7 MPG is half the game virtually. If he averages that, he's probably the starting center on this Mavs team.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #312
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Well, 23.7 MPG is half the game virtually. If he averages that, he's probably the starting center on this Mavs team.
Did I mention that last year was an "up" year for him? Zaza has averaged 21.0 MPG for his career, with 6 of his 12 seasons clocking under 20 MPG... The guy is a career backup.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:42 AM   #313
Joe Blow

Default A few excerpts from Bball Breakdown:

Deron Williams Played A Perfect Game, And Few Even Noticed

"Once on the cusp of household-name superstardom, once considered to have a career on the same trajectory as Chris Paul’s, you probably no longer think of such nice things when you think of Deron Williams. Now on his sixth coach since just the winter of 2011 (Jerry Sloan, Tyrone Corbin, Avery Johnson, P.J. Carlesimo, Jason Kidd, and now Lionel Hollins), Williams has taken on the hard-to-shake reputation as a locker room malcontent, destroying team chemistry and refusing to follow orders....

When I watch Williams, it almost seems impossible that he would ever be the type of player to cause locker room strife. There is no direct correlation between on-court unselfishness and off-court behaviour, of course, yet Deron is playing with an unselfishness that makes any connection hard to fathom. Williams makes the game look easy; he plays with total court awareness, and he is always looking to get the ball in the hands of the open man. Sometimes he is that open man, and he does not hesitate to take those in-flow shots....

My favorite play made by Williams the entire night is one that will not appear in the stat sheet. Actually, Williams never even touched the ball. Williams finds himself underneath the basket, guarded only by the much-smaller Sebastian Telfair. Williams therefore has every right to ask for the ball from Garnett in the high post, and, a split-second before this moment, Garnett was looking Williams’s way. Instead, though, Williams directs Garnett’s attention to the opposite elbow, where Joe Johnson has come open off of a Lopez screen. Recognizing the importance of getting primary scorer Johnson the requisite number of shots, Williams helps to create an assist without even touching the ball...

Deron’s totals on the evening were 17 points on eight shots, alongside only two turnovers (one of which was a questionable offensive foul call) and nine assists (which would have easily been in the double-digits if Garnett knocked down all of the open jump shots that Williams created for him). That is about as close to perfect as it gets. And this is not a one off. This is how Williams plays. We all used to believe it, yet at some point, his story arc lost its way. But do not buy into the narrative of his selfishness on the court. It just is not there."

http://bballbreakdown.com/2014/11/04...ng-with-deron/

I don't buy into the narrative either. Deron has always, especially in Brooklyn, repeatedly stated that he "just wanted to be a point guard." His coaches wanted him to be a primary scorer, often playing him at the 2 spot. He can do both. I think he is the only player besides Wilt Chamberlain to have league highs in both points (57) and assists (20) for a given year. But his preference is to be a play-maker. Carlise will, I think, give him that chance. Williams excels at pick and roll play, and Carlise loves to employ the good old P and R. This could be a very good fit.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 07-22-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #314
Underdog

Quote:
I don't buy into the narrative either. Deron has always, especially in Brooklyn, repeatedly stated that he "just wanted to be a point guard." His coaches wanted him to be a primary scorer, often playing him at the 2 spot. He can do both. I think he is the only player besides Wilt Chamberlain to have league highs in both points (57) and assists (20) for a given year. But his preference is to be a play-maker. Carlise will, I think, give him that chance. Williams excels at pick and roll play, and Carlise loves to employ the good old P and R. This could be a very good fit.
Carlisle could use Williams the same way he used Kidd -- distribute the ball, hit the three, get back on defense... But D-Will is a far more dynamic scorer than Kidd was during his second stint in Dallas, so it would be a shame to limit him in any way. There's a good chance he's the 2nd-highest scorer on the team this season.

It'll also be interesting to see how much control Rick gives Deron over the offense as a whole. With Kidd, RC let him dictate our flow offense -- will he trust a heady guy like Williams to do the same, or will he micromanage from the sideline like he has with Collison, Calderon and Rondo over the last few years?

Last edited by Underdog; 07-22-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:47 PM   #315
Joe Blow

Quote:
. It'll also be interesting to see how much control Rick gives Deron over the offense as a whole. With Kidd, RC let him dictate our flow offense -- will he trust a heady guy like Williams to do the same, or will he micromanage from the sideline like he has with Collison, Calderon and Rondo over the last few years?
This might help answer that question. Then again, it might not:

“I’m a longtime fan.” Carlisle told ESPN.com. “When this situation popped up, it was almost like it was too good to be true. He’s a tremendous player, and he’s coming home.”
Old 07-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #316
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

I uploaded this Deron Williams mix on youtube welcoming him to the Mavs and I thought I'd share it on here for you guys. Give me some feedback and leave a like if you enjoyed. Also try to share this video with fellow Mavs fans. I'll probably be making more mixes soon. Maybe a Chandler Parsons 2015 highlight mix.

Thanks guys, enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZUk3IvCPI

Last edited by Vinsanity; 07-24-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #317
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
I uploaded this Deron Williams mix on youtube welcoming him to the Mavs and I thought I'd share it on here for you guys. Give me some feedback and leave a like if you enjoyed. Also try to share this video with fellow Mavs fans. I'll probably be making more mixes soon. Maybe a Chandler Parsons 2015 highlight mix.

Thanks guys, enjoy.
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZUk3IvCPI
Link doesn't work -- you have "http://" in there twice.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-24-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:59 AM   #318
Joe Blow

Quote:
I uploaded this Deron Williams mix on youtube welcoming him to the Mavs and I thought I'd share it on here for you guys.
Thanks guys, enjoy.
Thanks, Vinnie, I did indeed enjoy that. Of course I'm a self-declared Williams homer, so what else would you expect?
Old 07-25-2015, 03:35 AM   #319
Joe Blow

Quote:
I uploaded this Deron Williams mix on youtube welcoming him to the Mavs and I thought I'd share it on here for you guys..
The part you included where he set an all-time NBA record with 9 threes in half was an amazing game to watch live.

Around the same time he set a career-high with 57 points in a game. Co-incidentally, Reggie Miller also had a career-high of 57 with a strikingly similar statline:

Miller: 16-29 4-11 21-23 5(reb) 8(asst) 1(steals) 57 pts
Dwill: 16-29 4-11 21-21 6(reb) 7(asst) 1(steals) 57 pts

Miller shot (and missed) 2 more free throws, had one more assist and one fewer rebound. Otherwise, their stats were identical.

Deron was channeling the Hall-of-Famer that night, for sure.

Last edited by Joe Blow; 07-25-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #320
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The part you included where he set an all-time NBA record with 9 threes in half was an amazing game to watch live.

Around the same time he set a career-high with 57 points in a game. Co-incidentally, Reggie Miller also had a career-high of 57 with a strikingly similar statline:

Miller: 16-29 4-11 21-23 5(reb) 8(asst) 1(steals) 57 pts
Dwill: 16-29 4-11 21-21 6(reb) 7(asst) 1(steals) 57 pts

Miller shot (and missed) 2 more free throws, had one more assist and one fewer rebound. Otherwise, their stats were identical.

Deron was channeling the Hall-of-Famer that night, for sure.
Utah dwill>any version of reggie
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote