Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #3161
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Wow, we would have insane depth if we got Green and Morris.

Potential depth chart:

Porzingis/Powell/Mejri
Morris/Kleber
Doncic/Jackson/DFS
Green/THJ/Broekhoff/Lee
Curry/Brunson/Barea

I would almost wonder how we divide up minutes on that roster. That said, it is Fish so almost surely won't happen.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #3162
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post

Potential depth chart:

Porzingis/Powell/Mejri
Morris/Kleber
Doncic/Jackson/DFS
Green/THJ/Broekhoff/Lee
Curry/Brunson/Barea

I would almost wonder how we divide up minutes on that roster. That said, it is Fish so almost surely won't happen.
Honestly, I'd look at trading some of that depth for more up front talent... Which is hopefully the plan here.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #3163
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Green isn't worth him only hosing the Lakers?
That was my thought. Green may stick in Toronto if Kawhi stays.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #3164
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
That was my thought. Green may stick in Toronto if Kawhi stays.
Better than watching LeBron/Davis/Kawhi dominate the league for the next few years... Danny Green ain't worth that.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-02-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #3165
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Honestly, I'd look at trading some of that depth for more up front talent... Which is hopefully the plan here.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:28 PM   #3166
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Better than watching LeBron/Davis/Kawhi dominate the league for the next few years... Danny Green ain't worth that.
True. However, the cynic in me wonders if the LA Glass would be able to keep all 3 of those guys healthy and on the court. I'd love to see that scenario implode spectacularly, but I'd prefer not to ever see them together to begin with.

Anybody else think that the Nets are going to have a tough road ahead? I foresee major disappointment there in the next couple of years over the moves made this offseason. Just my .02.

Last edited by turin; 07-02-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #3167
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Do LeBron, Kawhi, and Davis enjoy All-Star games that much to want to recreate the event on a nightly basis? Cause that's what they'd be doing essentially. Also they must hate the Celtics cause they'd help close the gap between the franchises.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #3168
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I'll happily pass on Green to keep Kawhi in the East, since adding Green doesn't get us past either LA team if they land Kawhi.
Yea but not matter how much doom and gloom the start of FA was.....having another backout could put us all on suicide watch.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 07-02-2019 at 07:32 PM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:31 PM   #3169
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:
Would love that, especially if we could somehow get rid of THJ in the deal. Having all these quality guys at reasonable contracts will make it very easy to make trades down the line. This would be about the best scenario we could ask for after losing Kemba and the disaster that was day 1 of free agency. But again, it's Fish so I'm not getting my hopes up.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:35 PM   #3170
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what Kawhi thinks of Lebron? F them all individually either way.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:41 PM   #3171
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Does anyone know what Kawhi thinks of Lebron? F them all individually either way.
He knows he scared him when he was 21 and went back into the game while LeBron was shooting free throws.
Old 07-02-2019, 07:57 PM   #3172
Underdog

@Boweman55:

2012: waited for Deron Williams

2013: waited for Dwight Howard

2014: waited for Carmelo Anthony

2015: waited for DeAndre Jordan

2016: waited for Mike Conley

2017-2018: tanked

2019: waited for....Danny Green.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #3173
Underdog

@townbrad: Confirmed Mavs' interest in Marcus Morris, first reported by @fishsports, but also am told Mavs have "a few ahead" of Morris. Mavs are not expecting Danny Green news until tomorrow at soonest.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #3174
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Honestly think Utah won this free agency hands down. Needed to replace Rubio with a guy who can shoot and add scoring. They did both and didn't sacrifice defense doing it. They were already a top 1-3 defensive team and now their offense should be at worst top 8 imo.
@wojespn: Free agent guard Emmanuel Mudiay has agreed to a one-year deal with the Utah Jazz, league sources tell ESPN.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #3175
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
@Boweman55:

Wasn't Whiteside in there somewhere as well?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #3176
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
@townbrad: Confirmed Mavs' interest in Marcus Morris, first reported by @fishsports, but also am told Mavs have "a few ahead" of Morris. Mavs are not expecting Danny Green news until tomorrow at soonest.
A few ahead? So we are down to missing on Morris because...waited on Green.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #3177
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:

Potential depth chart:

Porzingis/Powell/Mejri
Morris/Kleber
Doncic/Jackson/DFS
Green/THJ/Broekhoff/Lee
Curry/Brunson/Barea

I honestly think so many on here are overlooking and underestimating Brunson and the Mavs plan for him. Why would Curry starts over Brunson. IMO unless we sign a top PG...Brunson is easily out starter and I like that.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 PM   #3178
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, I could definitely see Lee and Jackson being shopped.
I hope they keep Broek and play him this year....just another sharp shooter for Luka to setup.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM   #3179
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
I honestly think so many on here are overlooking and underestimating Brunson and the Mavs plan for him. Why would Curry starts over Brunson. IMO unless we sign a top PG...Brunson is easily out starter and I like that.
Curry is more of a floor spacer and Brunson more of a playmaker.
I personally would like to see Curry and Green starting with Luka and Brunson running the 2nd unit.
Plus, if I'm not mistaken Curry was much more efficient as a starter with us. Of course we didn't have Luka then.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #3180
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Yeah, I could definitely see Lee and Jackson being shopped.
I hope they keep Broek and play him this year....just another sharp shooter for Luka to setup.
I hope Jackson sticks around. I liked his fit and fame a lot last year. If he keeps working he could be a Matrix light.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #3181
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Curry would potentially start over Brunson because he shoots better, we dont need another pg with Doncic. Defensively Brunson is better but you get the most out of Curry when he has the best facilitator and most weapons around him.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:13 PM   #3182
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
That leaves 1 open roster spot... Either we aren't using the rest of our cap space, or we're about to vastly overpay someone.
that means either Devin and Salah are out or both

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #3183
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
That's the pessimistic view. Without the unicorn and Doncic playing together 1 game who knows.
Not at all. That's the realist viewpoint. I've been watching the NBA too long to not know how this will play out.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #3184
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
If reports are correct the Mavs have done everything they could to replace Brunson. From Beverly to Walker.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #3185
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Curry would potentially start over Brunson because he shoots better, we dont need another pg with Doncic. Defensively Brunson is better but you get the most out of Curry when he has the best facilitator and most weapons around him.
I prefer Curry starting also with Brunson running the 2nd unit.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:28 PM   #3186
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
@wojespn: Free agent guard Emmanuel Mudiay has agreed to a one-year deal with the Utah Jazz, league sources tell ESPN.
Yikes. Jazz are going for it. That's a real solid pick up.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #3187
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think they have to do the opposite. Who's scoring on the 2nd unit? Seems like it would make more sense to have Curry off the bench.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:31 PM   #3188
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The NBA has become kind of stale. Kind of happy to have another team to hate.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #3189
AO41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
If reports are correct the Mavs have done everything they could to replace Brunson. From Beverly to Walker.
Someone like Walker is a clear upgrade and Brunson would have still gotten plenty of time and someone like Bev was a very good over all fit. I don’t think those additions would have impacted Brunson negatively.

Brunson is a long term piece.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 PM   #3190
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

Potential depth chart:

Porzingis/Powell/Mejri
Morris/Kleber
Doncic/Jackson/DFS
Green/THJ/Broekhoff/Lee
Curry/Brunson/Barea

You can't say you have depth and you have Marcus Morris, Danny Green and Seth Curry starting for you.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #3191
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Someone like Walker is a clear upgrade and Brunson would have still gotten plenty of time and someone like Bev was a very good over all fit. I don’t think those additions would have impacted Brunson negatively.

Brunson is a long term piece.
This is the thing. I look at Brunson...may be I overvalue him but I look at him as a starter in this league and he's cheap. Now would I rather have Kyrie Irving over him? Of course.....but if I had 32 million like the Mavs.....my first objective would've been to address starting 2 guard or the 5. For me to address point guard it would've had to have been a star player. Pat Beverly ain't it and I like Kemba but he's not either.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:35 PM   #3192
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

Quote:
@Boweman55:

Aside from Danny Green they all have something in common. No championship rings! I expect that to change for DeAndre Jordan though.

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 07-02-2019 at 08:43 PM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #3193
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think they have to do the opposite. Who's scoring on the 2nd unit? Seems like it would make more sense to have Curry off the bench.
As of now, Curry is needed for 3-point shooting for spacing with starters. If we get Green, then that's a different story. As for Brunson, he'll be needed to run the 2nd unit and distribute. Personally, I liked Burke for this role, since he's more of a spark plug and individual scorer more in the mold of a JJB, but we have to work with what we've got atm. My guess is that Jackson will be with the 2nd unit for the most part, so he'll be a nice piece on the floor with Brunson in 2nd unit. He can shoot the 3 and can even slash to the basket. Also, Powell and Brunson had a bit of chemistry last year, so there is plenty of flexibility there. The main issues will be rebounding and defense, whether it's first or second team.

Last edited by turin; 07-02-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #3194
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
You can't say you have depth and you have Marcus Morris, Danny Green and Seth Curry starting for you.
For what it's worth, I think Brunson starts in that equation with Curry coming off the bench.

It's not the most handsome starting 5, but its competitive and will allow us to develop our core.l

There's no way around it. We are ALL disappointed with this free agency. Donnie and Cuban constantly trying to be the smartest people in the league is getting old.

Our success next year will be dependent on how Luka + KP develop, KP's health, and the growth of Brunson, Powell, and Kleiber. If they can prove to be effective role players for us on a winning team, then we have them on quality contracts. Last year, they looked decent because they played a ton of garbage minutes in non competitive games.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-02-2019 at 08:40 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:45 PM   #3195
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
For what it's worth, I think Brunson starts in that equation with Curry coming off the bench.

It's not the most handsome starting 5, but its competitive and will allow us to develop our core.l

There's no way around it. We are ALL disappointed with this free agency. Donnie and Cuban constantly trying to be the smartest people in the league is getting old.

Our success next year will be dependent on how Luka + KP develop, KP's health, and the growth of Brunson, Powell, and Kleiber. If they can prove to be effective role players for us on a winning team, then we have them on quality contracts. Last year, they looked decent because they played a ton of garbage minutes in non competitive games.
I expect to see Rick tinker with a lot of combos early on in the season, so Brunson and Curry should both get plenty of action with starters. I really don't care one way or the other. I just want the most effective, efficient group out there. If that's Brunson starting, then I'm fine with that. Rick should have a field day with the ability to mix things up. I just hope it results in W's and continued player development.

Last edited by turin; 07-02-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM   #3196
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Uh, this is puzzling. I don't see many guys available who are better than him. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.

Last edited by Skywalker; 07-02-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #3197
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
This is the thing. I look at Brunson...may be I overvalue him but I look at him as a starter in this league and he's cheap. Now would I rather have Kyrie Irving over him? Of course.....but if I had 32 million like the Mavs.....my first objective would've been to address starting 2 guard or the 5. For me to address point guard it would've had to have been a star player. Pat Beverly ain't it and I like Kemba but he's not either.
Dragic for Lee would be a nice swap on a 1-yr rental and would take care of the PG position. This would work if we only get Green. Those 2 moves would probably finish off our cap space, but would Miami be willing to work with us after what's already transpired? That still leaves a huge hole in the 5 spot for rebounding and defense.

Last edited by turin; 07-02-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #3198
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Uh, this is puzzling. I don't see many guys available who are better than him. Hopefully it's just a smokescreen
Right? Hopefully just bad reporting...ugh.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #3199
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
I saw that a few minutes ago and thought the same thing. Either it's a smoke screen, or there's some alternate horse trading possibilities.... because there aren't any free agents left better that Morris at the forward position.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #3200
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Yea I do too. Its much too early to argue about this one though. We are on the same page about it with what we have.

Tags
win now