Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 08:58 PM   #3201
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Right? Hopefully just bad reporting...ugh.
https://hoopshype.com/player/marcus-morris/salary/
Quote:
His agent is Rich Paul of Klutch Sports Management.
Could also just be that we expressed interest and felt he was LA bound.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #3202
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Not at all. That's the realist viewpoint. I've been watching the NBA too long to not know how this will play out.
Oh. Well I'm sure you have been watching NBA much longer than the rest of us. I should have thought about that before posting a response.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #3203
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Oh. Well I'm sure you have been watching NBA much longer than the rest of us. I should have thought about that before posting a response.
Measured sarcasm. Well played.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:09 PM   #3204
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
I've played this game far too long to not know where this goes.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #3205
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
The rest of "us"? Who is "us"? Me and you are having a direct conversation. When I made that statement it wasn't a "I know what I'm talking about" type statement. We are all on the same level as far as our knowledge of basketball at least that's how I view it. I'm just saying as a Mavs fan I've seen this story before. I saw it all through out the end of Dirks' prime. You get a idea of what it takes to contend in this league and I'm sorry but this lineup even if Doncic and KP play all-world isn't it. If the Mavs don't know that it disturbs me. My homer days probably ended back in 2017.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:31 PM   #3206
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Oh....is that what that was lol?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #3207
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

If Gallinari becomes a Mav, then how long will that last? I feel like we're just acquiring pieces for future trades. I like Gallinari, but how will he fit in with Doncic and Porzingis?
Old 07-02-2019, 09:53 PM   #3208
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
If Gallinari becomes a Mav, then how long will that last? I feel like we're just acquiring pieces for future trades. I like Gallinari, but how will he fit in with Doncic and Porzingis?
Its hard to tell. He stays hurt so much chances are he's going to be in a suit and probably should be a candidate for "load management". IF he's healthy...I don't see why he can't work. He can shoot. How he fits the MAvs as a hold? I'm not sure. At this point I'd be interested in a 3 and D guy. May be that guy is already on the team but you can never have too many of them.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:56 PM   #3209
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Part of the reason the Mavs are having trouble getting free agents is that we are just too far away from competing. Look at Kemba, for example. He's going to one of the top 4 teams in the East. Why would he choose Dallas instead?

We are a few years behind teams like Utah, Denver, Portland, Sac, the Nets and the Clippers in being competitive. Maybe now is the time to add the kind of players that will be key contributors 1 or 2 years down the road, when Luka and Porzingas are ready the challenge the best.

We need to add some shooters and defenders, some blue collar kinds of guys. We got 1 in Curry. The MBT seem to think Maxi and Powell and DFS will continue to develop. Add in a Green and a Morris and build a culture as a hard working, smart team. That would be a team worth rooting for...the kind that top free agents would be willing to join. But right now, we just aren't ready.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #3210
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Part of the reason the Mavs are having trouble getting free agents is that we are just too far away from competing. Look at Kemba, for example. He's going to one of the top 4 teams in the East. Why would he choose Dallas instead?

We are a few years behind teams like Utah, Denver, Portland, Sac, the Nets and the Clippers in being competitive. Maybe now is the time to add the kind of players that will be key contributors 1 or 2 years down the road, when Luka and Porzingas are ready the challenge the best.

We need to add some shooters and defenders, some blue collar kinds of guys. We got 1 in Curry. The MBT seem to think Maxi and Powell and DFS will continue to develop. Add in a Green and a Morris and build a culture as a hard working, smart team. That would be a team worth rooting for...the kind that top free agents would be willing to join. But right now, we just aren't ready.
There may be some truth to this. In my eyes......if we added a star player they would see that we are in the mix. We were a player away from contending......but in reality may be we aren't. Like even the Nets......they at least made the playoffs last year plus they are in the East.

I think its a harder sell as a non-playoff team out West. As a matter of fact.......were there any real big signings out West aside from Warriors getting Russell?
Old 07-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #3211
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This is a rational take, and one that is obviously in the works of hopefully happening.

It's rather unfortunate that GS might not only still be as strong, but the rest of the West is simply brutal. Kemba's decision is really a message that it just isn't the right time to compete. Hopefully such things put a bit less pressure on Luka and KP as they carry the team to the future. It's important that they grow into superstars versus needing them desperately to carry us to a championship form day 1.

Of course, none of this excuses being asleep at the wheel on the first day of free agency. That fact cannot be escaped no matter the spin. But a Green/Morris singing would suffice to a solid B either way.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:11 PM   #3212
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

As ugly as this FA off-season appears to be on paper, I think we are getting the tools that Rick has to work with.
Although not star studded, Rick has to be somewhat excited to have a lot of pieces that fit his system and his coaching ability might become a huge success factor this season.

We do have pieces that could maximize Luka's talents and that will only contribute to his growth. I think this team will surprise everyone.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 10:22 PM   #3213
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still curious about the Miami trade though. Not sure the salaries, but I'm guessing if that went through it was Green/Olynyk/Jones jr versus Green/Morris/Curry.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:25 PM   #3214
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
The rest of "us"? Who is "us"? Me and you are having a direct conversation. When I made that statement it wasn't a "I know what I'm talking about" type statement. We are all on the same level as far as our knowledge of basketball at least that's how I view it. I'm just saying as a Mavs fan I've seen this story before. I saw it all through out the end of Dirks' prime. You get a idea of what it takes to contend in this league and I'm sorry but this lineup even if Doncic and KP play all-world isn't it. If the Mavs don't know that it disturbs me. My homer days probably ended back in 2017.
As a Mavs fan you have seen this story before? Luka and KP have yet to play a single game together. The team isnt done with FA and trades either. I appreciate your keeping it real version though. I'm just not writing them off yet.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #3215
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

I guess I dont see DFS the way the FO does unless somehow it's more of a trade asset going forward. Hes not consistently improving, he has a cpl good games but then he disappears for weeks and he will take mins from Jackson who I hoped would get more this season.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:58 PM   #3216
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
As a Mavs fan you have seen this story before? Luka and KP have yet to play a single game together. The team isnt done with FA and trades either. I appreciate your keeping it real version though. I'm just not writing them off yet.
I'm not writing them off either. Maybe you are misunderstanding my stance. I'm saying as of now this roster is terrible. Its not a real playoff team. I don't see what trade assets they have but if they do make some trades for the better then I will feel different if its for the better.

And when I say I've seen this story before I've seen the minimal changes and retreads we sign in free agency and have no draft picks too how for it. This organization owes it to Luka and KP not to waste their career on a bad to mediocre supporting cast.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #3217
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Depth chart with 3pt%
Powell (30.7)/Kleber (35.3)/ Mejri (32.4)
KP (39.5)/ Morris (37.5) /Kleber (35.3)/ Jackson (37.2)
Doncic (32.7)/ Jackson (37.2)/ DFS (31.1)/ Broekhoff (40.9)/ Lee (28.2)
Curry (45.0)/ THJ (34.0)
Green (45.5)/ Brunson (34.8) / Barea (29.7)

---------------
Atetokounmpo (xx)
Macon (45.5)
===================

ASsuming we get Green and re-sign Mejri, we have 1 more roster spot

If Brunson and Doncic take a step forward between rookie and sophomore year and Maxi takes a step forward between his sophomore and junior year, that's potentially a really strong three point shooting team 1-4 and maybe even 1-5.
Bump from the Morris rumor
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #3218
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not writing them off either. Maybe you are misunderstanding my stance. I'm saying as of now this roster is terrible. Its not a real playoff team. I don't see what trade assets they have but if they do make some trades for the better then I will feel different if its for the better.

And when I say I've seen this story before I've seen the minimal changes and retreads we sign in free agency and have no draft picks too how for it. This organization owes it to Luka and KP not to waste their career on a bad to mediocre supporting cast.
I'm not really understanding why its such a big deal to compete for the 8th spot in the playoffs, when the goal is to win a championship. No way we are winning one in the next 2 years, so the real goal is to build a team that can compete in 2 or 3 years.

That team will have Luka dominating the ball, KP scoring 25 ppg, Curry hitting a lot of open threes, and some hustle guys defending, getting rebounds and running the floor for Luka to hit on the fast break.. None of the people we had a chance at in free agency were going to move the needle very far...all the really good guys went to teams with a better chance at competing now than the Mavs have at this point.

People keep saying they don't understand the obsession with guys who fit. Are you old enough to remember the Antoine-Antwan year, or the "three J's?" All five were great players, but because they could not play together, the Mavs were not very good. Dennis Smith will probably be a great player...but he was not fitting in and didn't act like he wanted to. So the MBT turned him into KP. Because he is a better fit.

People complain about lack of picks. Because we don't have picks, we have 2 budding superstars. Would you rather have Luka and KP, or the 3 picks we gave up to get them?

Its a long way from winning 40 and missing the playoffs to wasting Luka and KP's careers. Together, they have only played what, 3.5 years?

Cool your jets. There are a lot of pieces still moving. Good players will be dumped and Donnie is very good at finding them.Guys like Monta Ellis and Darren Collison, Dalembert, Elton Brand and ZaZa were all brought in at this point, after the free agency rush. Its not time to panic. Yet.

This years Mavs are already a lot better than last years. And will likely get better still. I'd rather watch them slowly improve than watch Luka standing around, hoping Kemba will pass the ball back to him.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 AM   #3219
CanadianMavsFan

CanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud ofCanadianMavsFan has much to be proud of

Mixed feelings so far. I hated the Dragic trade and was glad that it fell apart. I badly wanted Beverley but it looks like the Mavs never really had a shot at him (reportedly took a discount to stay with LAC). By now some posters know my negative feelings on Kemba, so I was happy when he went to Boston instead. Kind of bummed that the Mavs didn't fork over some cash for Ed Davis just for the rebounding, but he is one-dimensional and guys like him are becoming obsolete in this league.

If the Mavs can snag Green and a big like Morris free agency gets a B+. That gives RC a lot of solid pieces. KP just needs to stay healthy. Luka will be a year better and the team should challenge for 45+ wins. If Kawhi goes to the Lakers the Western Conference may be locked up for 2-3 years anyway. Use that time to develop talent and build slowly.
CanadianMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #3220
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

What do you guys feel about Kawhi?

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 04:32 AM   #3221
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Bradley Beal?
Lestat_1795 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:55 AM   #3222
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

At this point, the guy I'm really missing would be Vuc. Yeah, he's not perfect, but age, position, and skill set are exactly what we need. We're not going to be Philly or Utah on D, but we'd have some nice size and be solid. Okay, enough with the wishful thinking.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #3223
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I guess I dont see DFS the way the FO does unless somehow it's more of a trade asset going forward. Hes not consistently improving, he has a cpl good games but then he disappears for weeks and he will take mins from Jackson who I hoped would get more this season.
I don't think the FO really thinks much either, hence the salary. He's not going to get more minutes this year... he'll get less. He's being pushed down in the pecking order.

But there is something to be said for a guy who plays hard, is good in the locker room, and knows the system for a small salary.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #3224
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm not really understanding why its such a big deal to compete for the 8th spot in the playoffs, when the goal is to win a championship. No way we are winning one in the next 2 years, so the real goal is to build a team that can compete in 2 or 3 years.

That team will have Luka dominating the ball, KP scoring 25 ppg, Curry hitting a lot of open threes, and some hustle guys defending, getting rebounds and running the floor for Luka to hit on the fast break.. None of the people we had a chance at in free agency were going to move the needle very far...all the really good guys went to teams with a better chance at competing now than the Mavs have at this point.

People keep saying they don't understand the obsession with guys who fit. Are you old enough to remember the Antoine-Antwan year, or the "three J's?" All five were great players, but because they could not play together, the Mavs were not very good. Dennis Smith will probably be a great player...but he was not fitting in and didn't act like he wanted to. So the MBT turned him into KP. Because he is a better fit.

People complain about lack of picks. Because we don't have picks, we have 2 budding superstars. Would you rather have Luka and KP, or the 3 picks we gave up to get them?

Its a long way from winning 40 and missing the playoffs to wasting Luka and KP's careers. Together, they have only played what, 3.5 years?

Cool your jets. There are a lot of pieces still moving. Good players will be dumped and Donnie is very good at finding them.Guys like Monta Ellis and Darren Collison, Dalembert, Elton Brand and ZaZa were all brought in at this point, after the free agency rush. Its not time to panic. Yet.

This years Mavs are already a lot better than last years. And will likely get better still. I'd rather watch them slowly improve than watch Luka standing around, hoping Kemba will pass the ball back to him.
You have to start somewhere. You don’t just go form being 12th in the West to competing. For a title. So we are not competing for the 8th spot...we are competing for the playoffs and trying to get playoff experience while adding pieces and moving up the standing to the point when we can compete.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #3225
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't think the FO really thinks much either, hence the salary. He's not going to get more minutes this year... he'll get less. He's being pushed down in the pecking order.

But there is something to be said for a guy who plays hard, is good in the locker room, and knows the system for a small salary.
Yep..DFS is getting paid life changing money..but in today's NBA, that's not really rotation money... .he's either very end of the rotation or on the outside looking in.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #3226
JJP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Yep..DFS is getting paid life changing money..but in today's NBA, that's not really rotation money... .he's either very end of the rotation or on the outside looking in.
Yeah, pretty much. Every team has a couple of these.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #3227
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
not to waste their career on a bad to mediocre supporting cast.
Dirk

If it hadn't been for the one year that Dirk loaded a team on his back and took home a championship, he would have had a much different looking career
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:10 AM   #3228
quietsavant

quietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud ofquietsavant has much to be proud of

Quote:

I think you are spot on with your reasoning here.

The missing link though, I think is that our cornerstone players are relatively young and haven't built the kind of camaraderie/equity/influence on other players , YET..around the league. And that will come with time.

Luka of course seems like a really likable kid and has a chance to be able to do that. He has the right combination of a badass game, swagger and fun personality that I can see him being able to recruit and influence recruiting.

Right now Mark and Donnie and Rick are doing all the legwork. It's much easier when your players can do it.

Kemba walker took a trip for the Jordan brand to Paris with Jason Tatum just before Free Agency. Thats the kind of recruiting and insider info about a team that can give a team like Boston a leg up over other places. And eventually Kemba had made his decision before the opening bell rang.

Pat Beverley talked about Lou Williams convincing him to come back to LA.

KD, Kyrie, Deandre were already talking about teaming up and Spencer Dinwiddie did some recruiting as well.

Lebron and Rich Paul of course had their influence on AD.

Love him or Hate him, a player that had that gift of gab and social influence was Chandler Parsons. He was just close with a lot of guys in the league. Our players don't have to be that but I can already see Luka winning the respect of a lot of the guys. That's going to grow and I believe he's going to be big for us recruiting outside of the lines.

The good Ol days : Click

Last edited by quietsavant; 07-03-2019 at 09:12 AM.
quietsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #3229
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

I don't want to play for the 8th seed. I'd rather straight up tank then do that.

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up extremes in order to make a point. The 3 J's SHOULD'VE worked. Their problem was not about talent.
Antawn Jamison was solid here. HE won 6th man of the year. Antoine Walker was the one who didn't fit and Antoine Walker turned into Jason Terry which was a big part of our championship run. No one is asking for you to make dumb moves. But you can't be afraid to make moves either. Scary front offices don't win in this league. You have to take risk.

Once again...nobody complained about picks. The league saves teams like us who otherwise would probably trade our picks every year if they let us. Not concern with not having picks. Concerned with trade assets though and picks are usually that if you don't have personnel to trade.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #3230
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Dirk

If it hadn't been for the one year that Dirk loaded a team on his back and took home a championship, he would have had a much different looking career
HE really would and if we're being honest......a lot of those guys played over their heads that year. I don't think people realize how unreal Jason Terry was that post season. Guys played some of the best basketball of their career in that post season.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 AM   #3231
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. Every team has a couple of these.
They do but they usually play the vet. minimum for them or something close to it. I have no problem with what he got. That seems to be the going rate for the type of player he is.......my concern is what it does for Justin Jackson.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #3232
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsavant View Post
I think you are spot on with your reasoning here.

The missing link though, I think is that our cornerstone players are relatively young and haven't built the kind of camaraderie/equity/influence on other players , YET..around the league. And that will come with time.

Luka of course seems like a really likable kid and has a chance to be able to do that. He has the right combination of a badass game, swagger and fun personality that I can see him being able to recruit and influence recruiting.

Right now Mark and Donnie and Rick are doing all the legwork. It's much easier when your players can do it.

Kemba walker took a trip for the Jordan brand to Paris with Jason Tatum just before Free Agency. Thats the kind of recruiting and insider info about a team that can give a team like Boston a leg up over other places. And eventually Kemba had made his decision before the opening bell rang.

Pat Beverley talked about Lou Williams convincing him to come back to LA.

KD, Kyrie, Deandre were already talking about teaming up and Spencer Dinwiddie did some recruiting as well.

Lebron and Rich Paul of course had their influence on AD.

Love him or Hate him, a player that had that gift of gab and social influence was Chandler Parsons. He was just close with a lot of guys in the league. Our players don't have to be that but I can already see Luka winning the respect of a lot of the guys. That's going to grow and I believe he's going to be big for us recruiting outside of the lines.
That's a good point. That's the pitfalls of dealing with euro players who didn't go through the AAU route. A lot of these guys have known each other since they were children. All we can do is hope that with hopefully Luka racking up some NBA awards and All star appearances that he starts to develop these relationships. Seems like he's pretty cool with Dennis Smith from their time being here.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM   #3233
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
They do but they usually play the vet. minimum for them or something close to it. I have no problem with what he got. That seems to be the going rate for the type of player he is.......my concern is what it does for Justin Jackson.
I've thought a lot about Jackson and seriously hope he isn't being overlooked by the fans and FO. Until we sign someone else, he could easily progress to the third best player on the team. He certainly played like it at the end of last season.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #3234
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't want to play for the 8th seed. I'd rather straight up tank then do that.

I don't know why you guys keep bringing up extremes in order to make a point. The 3 J's SHOULD'VE worked. Their problem was not about talent.
Antawn Jamison was solid here. HE won 6th man of the year. Antoine Walker was the one who didn't fit and Antoine Walker turned into Jason Terry which was a big part of our championship run. No one is asking for you to make dumb moves. But you can't be afraid to make moves either. Scary front offices don't win in this league. You have to take risk.

Once again...nobody complained about picks. The league saves teams like us who otherwise would probably trade our picks every year if they let us. Not concern with not having picks. Concerned with trade assets though and picks are usually that if you don't have personnel to trade.
You also have to keep KP and Luka happy. I don't think tanking is going to do that...
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #3235
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
You also have to keep KP and Luka happy. I don't think tanking is going to do that...
Yea. They aren't tanking. A few may underestimate Doncic and KP but the FO isnt going to do that to them.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #3236
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Marcus Morris would be a nice get. Good shooter, versatile, decent rebounder. Anyone care to speculate what the holdup for signing might be? Does he get a different contract if we don't sign Danny Green? 3yrs-40m or so, basically the Thad Young contract, sound about right?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #3237
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to make the playoffs if healthy.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #3238
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
We are going to make the playoffs if healthy.
One thing is for certain: regardless of where Kawhi signs, a very good team is going to miss the playoffs in the West.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #3239
ChileanMavsFan

ChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of lightChileanMavsFan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Marcus Morris would be a nice get. Good shooter, versatile, decent rebounder. Anyone care to speculate what the holdup for signing might be? Does he get a different contract if we don't sign Danny Green? 3yrs-40m or so, basically the Thad Young contract, sound about right?
Perhaps Morris is waiting to see if the Lakers get Kawhi or not? If they don't, they might be interested in signing him.

Last edited by ChileanMavsFan; 07-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.
ChileanMavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #3240
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@espn_macmahon: Source: The Mavs have agreed to a deal with center Boban Marjonovic. @TheSteinLine first.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 07-03-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
win now