Pretty darn excited. I plan to make some time to watch games and cheer 8 47.06%
Cautiously excited. Let's see how we come out of the gates 2 11.76%
Suspicious. I want to see some good things before I will care. 0 0%
Not excited at all. 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #3201
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Adrian Wojnarowski: Restricted free agent F John Collins has agreed to a five-year, $125M deal to stay with the Atlanta Hawks, @excelbasketball agents Sean Kennedy and Jeff Schwartz tell ESPN. –
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #3202
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by BPo001; 08-04-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:32 AM   #3203
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Who do you want? Which free agent out there moves the needle?

At least Dragic has a purpose - he will help mentor Luka. Dragic will be in his ear telling him important things like "feed the big man" and "give up the ball instead of taking a contested step-back"
Lol

How many mentors do we need for Luka?

We have Kidd, Boban and his former National Coach.

At what point do we get a guy next to him that's not here to be a mentor but rather a baller who can help him on the floor take this team to the next level.

All this buddy buddy stuff and mentor stuff is starting to be a little overrated.

Wade was mentor for LeBron but dude could fucking ball

Paul was a mentor for Ayton and Booker but dude could fucking ball.

Luka might very well need a mentor but he needs a dude who can fucking ball just as much.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #3204
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Isn’t the 1st rounder the Bulls gave up their 2025 pick though? Same as what the Mavs could have offered I believe. Bulls owe a few first rounders from the Vucevic trade.
Mavs better not trade a 1st round pick for awhile especially with the roster they are putting out there lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #3205
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Kemba Walker
RJ Barrett
Evan Fournier
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson

You have 55 million in cap space and this what you do? But everyone want stop come to NY huh?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:35 AM   #3206
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Kemba Walker
RJ Barrett
Evan Fournier
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson

You have 55 million in cap space and this what you do? But everyone want stop come to NY huh?
Old 08-04-2021, 09:37 AM   #3207
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Kemba Walker
RJ Barrett
Evan Fournier
Julius Randle
Mitchell Robinson

They turned Elfrid Payton and Reggie Bullock into Walker and Fournier. That's not a home run, but that's certainly notable.

We turned 13 ppg J-Rich into 10 ppg Bullock...who I guess is a better defender?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #3208
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
If Derozen didn't want to come to Dallas....there was no way to get him. I'm not defending this front office by any means but Derozen clearly didn't want to play here. The rumors were always Miami and Chicago. The Mavs have been able to get NO one and they were adamant on keeping THJ......
The key word is IF he didn't want to come here. That's why I said it doesn't matter now. We don't know and I'm not sure it's clear that he didn't want to be here. That may be true and maybe the Mavs knew. Maybe they finally tampered as much as other teams do. IF they did know and still didn't pivot to get another guy to help Luka then we better hope Brown can take a big step forward or we make a trade.

I'm not even mad about it. I'm just not going to pretend like we shouldn't be annoyed at the lack of a move YET to help Luka so he isn't exhausted in 4th quarters from dragging the team all game. We still don't have another guy in the starting lineup who can dribble.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:42 AM   #3209
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
They turned Elfrid Payton and Reggie Bullock into Walker and Fournier. That's not a home run, but that's certainly notable.

That guy is just trolling a stupid point that he can't keep to let go of. He knows the Knicks have a shit owner or they would have gotten KD and Kyrie 2 years ago and yet they still did better than us or San Antonio in free agency yet he claims location doesn't matter or he thinks Dallas is a destination location. He's not even worth picking apart because it's too easy.

Anyone that thinks we're on equal footing as L.A. or New York needs their brain examined.

Last edited by JustJay; 08-04-2021 at 09:45 AM.
JustJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #3210
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
We still don't have another guy in the starting lineup who can dribble.
This is the big dilemma. I still see DFS and Maxi in the starting lineup together.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:52 AM   #3211
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:

I'm not trying to convince you that the Mavs had a better free agent class because it sucked. But my point was...they had even more cap space...the most in the league...just to end up with a broken down Walker who OKC just bought out and the Celtics didn't want.....and Fournier.

All I'm saying is the Knicks weren't a Fournier and Payton away from contending. Instead of getting swept by the Hawks.......they'll now lose 4-2.

Last edited by Dtownsfinest; 08-04-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #3212
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Isn’t the 1st rounder the Bulls gave up their 2025 pick though? Same as what the Mavs could have offered I believe. Bulls owe a few first rounders from the Vucevic trade.
Mavs cannot trade any first round picks at this time.

We can trade the rights to the 2022 draft pick but we can’t do that until we draft him.

Since the 2023 could be conveyed in 2024 or 2025, we can’t trade far future picks until 2027 u til Knicks get their second.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #3213
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Mavs cannot trade any first round picks at this time.

We can trade the rights to the 2022 draft pick but we can’t do that until we draft him.

Since the 2023 could be conveyed in 2024 or 2025, we can’t trade far future picks until 2027 u til Knicks get their second.
Ahh okay. Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t realize our picks could be conveyed to future years.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:10 AM   #3214
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
The key word is IF he didn't want to come here. That's why I said it doesn't matter now. We don't know and I'm not sure it's clear that he didn't want to be here. That may be true and maybe the Mavs knew. Maybe they finally tampered as much as other teams do. IF they did know and still didn't pivot to get another guy to help Luka then we better hope Brown can take a big step forward or we make a trade.

I'm not even mad about it. I'm just not going to pretend like we shouldn't be annoyed at the lack of a move YET to help Luka so he isn't exhausted in 4th quarters from dragging the team all game. We still don't have another guy in the starting lineup who can dribble.

Nah I'm annoyed. Not by Derozen though because I never thought he'd come here. I'm annoyed they didn't even attempt to get some of these guys out here. It was already a lackluster class. I didn't need to get the best player in this free agency class.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #3215
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Lol

How many mentors do we need for Luka?

We have Kidd, Boban and his former National Coach.

At what point do we get a guy next to him that's not here to be a mentor but rather a baller who can help him on the floor take this team to the next level.

All this buddy buddy stuff and mentor stuff is starting to be a little overrated.

Wade was mentor for LeBron but dude could fucking ball

Paul was a mentor for Ayton and Booker but dude could fucking ball.

Luka might very well need a mentor but he needs a dude who can fucking ball just as much.
Luka one of the best in the league....he doesn't need no damn mentor lol. I thought Kidd was going to be his mentor? The hell we need Dragic for?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:53 AM   #3216
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This is the big dilemma. I still see DFS and Maxi in the starting lineup together.
Yea, I'd say a dilemma is the nicest way to put it. Cluster fuck is another.

At the moment, Maxi might be coming off the bench now that we have Bullock, but then again there are some guys that DFS can't really defend. It's nice that we have the ability to switch those 2 around but it would be nicer if we had a guy that can guard both the quick PFs and the Thicc PFs.

Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-KP. We have shooters there but only 1 of them capable of dribbling the damn ball much less creating their own offense. Same thing if we switch DFS and Maxi

Old 08-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #3217
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) Luka
2) KP
3) THJ
4) Powell
5) Kleber
6) Brunson
7) Bullock
8) S. Brown
9) M. Brown
10) Burke
11) WCS
12) DFS
13) Green
14) Terry
15)
———two-way——-
16) Hinton - returns as two-way
17)
Correction
Old 08-04-2021, 11:12 AM   #3218
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yea, I'd say a dilemma is the nicest way to put it. Cluster fuck is another.

At the moment, Maxi might be coming off the bench now that we have Bullock, but then again there are some guys that DFS can't really defend. It's nice that we have the ability to switch those 2 around but it would be nicer if we had a guy that can guard both the quick PFs and the Thicc PFs.

Luka-THJ-Bullock-DFS-KP. We have shooters there but only 1 of them capable of dribbling the damn ball much less creating their own offense. Same thing if we switch DFS and Maxi
At this point I think the Mavs need to go get Buddy Hield....

He has some ability to create his own shot...

He's not DeRozan but he can give you a solid 2nd or 3rd option someone who I believe can be better than THJ in terms of consistency if he was given the chance to play next to Luka.

But for some reason I believe the Lakers are going to fucking steal him at some point for a cheap package.

Mavs will probably pass on him because they have to keep guys like Powell, Kleber and Brunson on board to keep building that awesome team chemistry and locker room.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:13 AM   #3219
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Haven't heard much with Oubre. Wonder if you could get him at a discount.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:20 AM   #3220
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
At this point I think the Mavs need to go get Buddy Hield....

He has some ability to create his own shot...

He's not DeRozan but he can give you a solid 2nd or 3rd option someone who I believe can be better than THJ in terms of consistency if he was given the chance to play next to Luka.

But for some reason I believe the Lakers are going to fucking steal him at some point for a cheap package.

Mavs will probably pass on him because they have to keep guys like Powell, Kleber and Brunson on board to keep building that awesome team chemistry and locker room.
What are we giving up for Buddy? Maybe he can create off the dribble but I have doubts he can do it at the playoff level vs great defenders. Maybe he can.

I still have hope that the next move we make is for the type of guy we really need instead of a slightly better THJ.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #3221
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Don't think Hield is realistic nor do I think the Mavs want to spend the money/assets on him.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #3222
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Sounds like Dragic is a tug-of-war.

Toronto wants to see what it can be and we're the only bidder. Mavs are smart to not offer much more than Powell/Burke.

Still, I can see Toronto waiting until the TDL and then waiving him and he comes via waivers.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #3223
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Sounds like Dragic is a tug-of-war.

Toronto wants to see what it can be and we're the only bidder. Mavs are smart to not offer much more than Powell/Burke.

Still, I can see Toronto waiting until the TDL and then waiving him and he comes via waivers.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #3224
OKMavFan41

OKMavFan41 is on a distinguished road

The Bullock contract can still be absorbed into the TPE, correct?

If that's case, could Dallas just work out a S&T with NYK - say double S&T with Reddick or something - to re-open the MLE?

Also, if the MLE is available, I wonder if Oubre would be an option to fit in that space.

The FO can still deal for Dragic or wait for the buyout, and that would effectively complete the offseason.

Extend Luka, re-sign THJ, add Dragic, Oubre, Bullock, Sterling Brown, and Moses Brown. I know there's no flashy moves there but I think that would be a decent offseason.

All that said, I have only a cursory understanding of cap space dynamics. So this might not be possible.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
OKMavFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #3225
BPo001
Diamond Member

Yahoo Sports top 10 available free agents:
1. Kawhi Leonard
2. Reggie Jackson
3. Victor Oladipo
4. Dennis Schroder
5. Lauri Markkanen
6. Danny Green
7. Kelly Oubre Jr.
8. Josh Hart
9. Hamidou Diallo
10. Paul Millsap

Last edited by BPo001; 08-04-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #3226
BPo001
Diamond Member

Last edited by BPo001; 08-04-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #3227
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Josh Hart or Reggie from that list I would think is attainable.

I like the idea of Buddy but I doubt Mavs will fork over their community leaders to improve the roster.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:39 PM   #3228
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
1. Kawhi Leonard
2. Reggie Jackson
3. Victor Oladipo
4. Dennis Schroder
5. Lauri Markkanen
6. Danny Green
7. Kelly Oubre Jr.
8. Josh Hart
9. Hamidou Diallo
10. Paul Millsap
Now see....it wouldn't be ideal....but right now Reggie Jackson, Markkanen, Oladipo, Diallo and Hart can all help this team right now. There are guys out there and on this list I'd take every single one of them over Sterling Brown and Reggie Bullock.

And what's going on with Kawhi? Has he not signed yet?
Old 08-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #3229
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
1. Kawhi Leonard
2. Reggie Jackson
3. Victor Oladipo
4. Dennis Schroder
5. Lauri Markkanen
6. Danny Green
7. Kelly Oubre Jr.
8. Josh Hart
9. Hamidou Diallo
10. Paul Millsap
People keep talking about how horrible this FA is, but that list isn't terrible. Can the Mavs move on from Dragic or not? That is the question.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #3230
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
People keep talking about how horrible this FA is, but that list isn't terrible. Can the Mavs move on from Dragic or not? That is the question.
Right. And plenty good ones are already gone.

The big names weren't there, but we weren't getting the big names anyway.

Old 08-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #3231
JustJay

JustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the roughJustJay is a jewel in the rough

I read Danny Green was trying to join the Heat, but never got confirmation he signed.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #3232
JustJay

dp

Last edited by JustJay; 08-04-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #3233
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

- The Mavs aren't holding up getting Dragic because of Dwight Powell. There has been multiple reports he has been on the trade block for awhile. What is more likely is Toronto wants young assets/picks from the Mavs and they are unwilling to include them. Miami should be the ones including more sweetener to Toronto for them to take on/buy out Dragic. Dragic has made it clear he wants to play for the Mavs, via a public statement. Possibly purposely giving leverage to the Mavs to wait it out for a buy out. I personally commend the Mavs for holding out on this one and not giving up assets that can be used in other trades. Dragic will come to the Mavs on his own, either buy out or next season after finishing his contract.

- There is still a lot of flexibility left for the Mavs to sign players or trade. And still lots of available free agents. Also lots of teams with mid-top tier stars on the verge of rebuilding or in need of a shake up. I am willing to bet the Mavs are doing every thing they can to use the assets they have to get in on major trades. If they exhaust all those options then they will use assets and cap tools to add more free agents.

- As much as everyone wants to keep blaming Cuban, I really doubt he is getting in the way of Nico in his first offseason. You don't become as successful as Cuban is by being a micromanager right out the gate with new talent. Nico could up and leave. What feels more likely to me is that there is a methodical process at play here and the results and details of that process just haven't came to light yet.

Of course, I am being optimistic here. But, I choose to be and believe that there is more reason to the above logic than delusion.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #3234
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Double post.. but TLDR: there are too many cap tools/assets still in our hands use for the Mavs to be done. And I doubt Nico is bought into "we love our boys in blue". He is a smart guy, wants to make a big splash now, and realizes the seriousness of the cap situation moving forward after Luka's deal starts.

Last edited by Robillion; 08-04-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #3235
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
This FA class is horrible I don't know how it can be seen any other way. We signed good role players and ppl want a star. The only star that was truly available was Derozan and Mavs didn't want him. That's a weak free agency.

And Outside of Green and Jackson nobody on that list does anything for me personally. And since we added Brown and Bullock it would be Jackson but I'd much rather have Dragic if the idea is running an offense while Luka sits.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #3236
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

1) Mavs don't have cap space. They can make moves to create it, but they're tapped out. They'll be well over the cap after Luka gets his extension too. That is a bomb waiting to drop, but the Mavs are smart to let it be the last piece. Mavs about to go from 92mill to 122 mill. Could be over 141 with Dragic and some creative moves.

2) Mavs can't trade 1st round picks. Period. 2022 can only be traded after we pick in the draft. 2023-2028 are locked until we know which year that second FRP gets conferred.

3) Mavs have only one roster spot open

4) Mavs are trying to trade Powell + Filler to Toronto for Dragic. That frees up cap space and roster spots.

5) Toronto just waived their only guy 6'9" and above, which means they are maybe getting ready to accept a trade for 1-3 centers

I'd be patient. There are 30 teams in the NBA. Mavs are "rumored" to be attached to every free agent so it looks like we're failing. There's also the mental bias of seeing teams picking up guys so it looks like we're totally failing, but the fact is that other than Heat, Knicks, and Lakers no one has done better as an established team and that's the rub with today's NBA. Bulls did better, but they did a complete reboot. Mavs are closer to Heat/Knicks than to the Bulls.

Right now? I 'd give our offseason a C+/B-. Bullock and the Browns are going to surprise and more shooters will help create more room for Luka to drive and THJ/DFS to get wide open. If Kidd can get KP engaged and our shooters continue to get open shots, we're going to be noticably better. It may just take another year or two to get some of our albatross contracts turned into something usable (Powell, etc.)

I'd say there's a
25% chance we are done for the offseason. Dragic comes at the TDL off waivers (which I'd give a C+/B- to)
70% chance we get Dragic this offseason (solid B)
5% we get Dragic and another guy (A- or better)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-04-2021 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #3237
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Also a much better shooter. The only thing Jrich is better at is playmaking and he seems to have lost all confidence in that part of his game.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:53 PM   #3238
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
This FA class is horrible I don't know how it can be seen any other way. We signed good role players and ppl want a star. The only star that was truly available was Derozan and Mavs didn't want him. That's a weak free agency.

And Outside of Green and Jackson nobody on that list does anything for me personally. And since we added Brown and Bullock it would be Jackson but I'd much rather have Dragic if the idea is running an offense while Luka sits.
Must spread rep
Old 08-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #3239
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
1) Mavs don't have cap space. They can make moves to create it, but they're tapped out. They'll be in the tax after Luka gets his extension too.

2) Mavs can't trade 1st round picks. Period. 2022 can only be traded after we pick in the draft. 2023-2028 are locked until we know which year that second FRP gets conferred.

3) Mavs have only one roster spot open

4) Mavs are trying to trade Powell + Filler to Toronto for Dragic. That frees up cap space and roster spots.

5) Toronto just waived their only guy 6'9" and above, which means they are maybe getting ready to accept a trade for 1-3 centers

I'd be patient. There are 30 teams in the NBA. Mavs are "rumored" to be attached to every free agent so it looks like we're failing. There's also the mental bias of seeing teams picking up guys so it looks like we're totally failing, but the fact is that other than Heat, Knicks, and Lakers no one has done better as an established team and that's the rub with today's NBA. Bulls did better, but they did a complete reboot. Mavs are closer to Heat/Knicks than to the Bulls.

Right now? I 'd give our offseason a C+/B-. Bullock and the Browns are going to surprise and more shooters will help create more room for Luka to drive and THJ/DFS to get wide open. If Kidd can get KP engaged and our shooters continue to get open shots, we're going to be noticably better. It may just take another year or two to get some of our albatross contracts turned into something usable (Powell, etc.)
Agree with basically all of this.

I will add that while risky I'm pretty sure the Mavs can remove the top 10 protection from 2023 to open up 2025 if they really wanted(Knicks have to agree but why wouldn't they?). I don't see them even considering that until next year though unless it could be the difference and get you someone like beal. Until then since you can only trade 7yrs into the future and 2025 is locked they could trade 2027.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM   #3240
SMC0007
Guru

Whole lot of assumptions lately.

Tags
jack.kerr aucks