Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 11:25 PM   #3481
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Kinda off topic but it seems like there's a lot of people thinking that Ellis will walk next summer for more money, and I've seen articles like this...
http://basketball.realgm.com/article...nge-Of-Scenery
but honestly, I think Ellis is here to stay. Monta hasn't been on many winning teams in his career, and the 13-14 Mavs were the best team he's ever played on. He's made it clear in interviews that winning is a priority for him. He left $10-12 mil on the table from Milwaukee last summer so he could come to Dallas and play for a better team. The dude wants to win, plain and simple. You could tell just from his body language that he was MUCH happier here in Dallas this past season than he was in recent years playing for bad Bucks/Warriors teams. And after all the upgrades we made this Summer, the Mavs will be even better than last season. So let's say we get a top 4 seed and make it the 2nd round or even beyond that... no way Monta leaves. Seems like the dude is finally happy. The Mavs were one of the few teams that actually wanted to take a chance on him last summer, and I'm sure that means something to him. The Mavs organization is high class, and he's seen that first hand now. But like I said, he wants to win... and the top teams like OKC, SA, LAC, CLE aren't gonna have the money to offer him next summer... and he's not gonna take slightly more to play for a bad team like the Kings for example.

My prediction for Monta next summer is either A.) he opts in to give us more financial flexibility or B.) (assuming he has another good season for us) we negotiate and give him his well deserved money (but maybe at a slight discount like $10-12mil/per). But I think he'll want to stay. We've made him feel welcomed by taking a chance in him and giving him a big role on our team. He's finally happy, I don't see him going anywhere. Cuban will find a way to make it happen in the best interest of the Mavs and Monta.
Vinsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 AM   #3482
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Kinda off topic but it seems like there's a lot of people thinking that Ellis will walk next summer for more money, and I've seen articles like this...
http://basketball.realgm.com/article...nge-Of-Scenery
but honestly, I think Ellis is here to stay. Monta hasn't been on many winning teams in his career, and the 13-14 Mavs were the best team he's ever played on. He's made it clear in interviews that winning is a priority for him. He left $10-12 mil on the table from Milwaukee last summer so he could come to Dallas and play for a better team. The dude wants to win, plain and simple. You could tell just from his body language that he was MUCH happier here in Dallas this past season than he was in recent years playing for bad Bucks/Warriors teams. And after all the upgrades we made this Summer, the Mavs will be even better than last season. So let's say we get a top 4 seed and make it the 2nd round or even beyond that... no way Monta leaves. Seems like the dude is finally happy. The Mavs were one of the few teams that actually wanted to take a chance on him last summer, and I'm sure that means something to him. The Mavs organization is high class, and he's seen that first hand now. But like I said, he wants to win... and the top teams like OKC, SA, LAC, CLE aren't gonna have the money to offer him next summer... and he's not gonna take slightly more to play for a bad team like the Kings for example.

My prediction for Monta next summer is either A.) he opts in to give us more financial flexibility or B.) (assuming he has another good season for us) we negotiate and give him his well deserved money (but maybe at a slight discount like $10-12mil/per). But I think he'll want to stay. We've made him feel welcomed by taking a chance in him and giving him a big role on our team. He's finally happy, I don't see him going anywhere. Cuban will find a way to make it happen in the best interest of the Mavs and Monta.
I agree that it's very likely that Monta re-signs next summer, but TBH even with the production he's given us and the great chemistry he has with Dirk, I'd have pretty serious reservations about giving him $12M per season. That's a lot of money to invest in a guy who has, perhaps for lack of a better way of saying it, a very spotty history of success in his career.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #3483
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I agree that it's very likely that Monta re-signs next summer, but TBH even with the production he's given us and the great chemistry he has with Dirk, I'd have pretty serious reservations about giving him $12M per season. That's a lot of money to invest in a guy who has, perhaps for lack of a better way of saying it, a very spotty history of success in his career.
If he can make a huge step forward in defense this year, he's worth it. That's a real big if though.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #3484
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Pretty much this. I appreciate what Terry was and what he did for us. Right now he's an expiring contract of 5mill who may be able to play the role of marksman off the bench for 5-10mpg. As a GM you can't play rivalries-- you have to do what is best for your team. I assume Morey wanted the picks and rental of Terry.
I agree. The only sense for Morey to do this was the get Terry's expiring contract + picks.

As much as I like Terry (see my last post above), but over the last two years the JET has unfortunately more looked like this:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Sportstudi; 09-03-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #3485
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver.../_/id/4703089/

Quote:
Here at the 2014 FIBA World Cup, Koponen told ESPN.com he intends to make the jump to the NBA after completing the final season on his contract with BC Khimki in Russia.
Covering the World Cup for my current employer, kid is looking strong.

Last edited by j0Shi; 09-03-2014 at 11:24 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #3486
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

dp

Last edited by j0Shi; 09-03-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #3487
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/maver.../_/id/4703089/

Covering the World Cup for my current employer, kid is looking strong.
13.7pts, 3reb, 3ast on 60%/45%/90%

Still, he's getting up there (26) and still hasn't proven to be NBA-viable in larger minutes. I like his efficiency, though and seems like a really nice kid with high motor (as well as good size for PG at 6'4.5")
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #3488
jay3189
Banned

jay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nicejay3189 is just really nice

Quote:
If Monta can be consistent on defense, then he is worth 10-14 million per year. He is of the best scorers attacking the rim, his playmaking ability is on point, and he doesn't play scared. I love his demeanor. I just want him to be a better defender.
jay3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #3489
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay3189 View Post
If Monta can be consistent on defense, then he is worth 10-14 million per year. He is of the best scorers attacking the rim, his playmaking ability is on point, and he doesn't play scared. I love his demeanor. I just want him to be a better defender.
agree.

He was 7th in the league last year in total Steals and ahead of some very notable players in that stat.
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/steals

And with Tyson behind him protecting the rim he can afford to take a few more risks :-)
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #3490
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Ellis is definitely not a defensive star, but his defensive +/- is also very misleading, because he was being replaced by guys like Harris who are defensive experts and bigger guys like Carter who were underrated defensive players. He also played with one of the worst defensive starting units in basketball (111pp100)

I don't expect him to be good or even above average this year, but he'll at least be average and our defense should be much improved and that is all that matters, really. Also, his gambling won't hurt us as much with a team capable of erasing his mistakes.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #3491
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Ellis is definitely not a defensive star, but his defensive +/- is also very misleading, because he was being replaced by guys like Harris who are defensive experts and bigger guys like Carter who were underrated defensive players. He also played with one of the worst defensive starting units in basketball (111pp100)

I don't expect him to be good or even above average this year, but he'll at least be average and our defense should be much improved and that is all that matters, really. Also, his gambling won't hurt us as much with a team capable of erasing his mistakes.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #3492
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

I know very little about Nelson's game...how is his defense?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 PM   #3493
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I know very little about Nelson's game...how is his defense?
Adequate, which is all we need. Last year it was pretty bad, but that was lack of effort. I think when he's here, he'll be serviceable. He'll never be accused of being a defensive star, but he should be alright. The combination of Ellis/Nelson does scare me a bit, because they are both a little challenged (height and fundamentals), but it's not about individual performances as much as it's about team defense.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #3494
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Adequate, which is all we need. Last year it was pretty bad, but that was lack of effort. I think when he's here, he'll be serviceable. He'll never be accused of being a defensive star, but he should be alright. The combination of Ellis/Nelson does scare me a bit, because they are both a little challenged (height and fundamentals), but it's not about individual performances as much as it's about team defense.
Thanks!!!
I'm a little concerned about that too but I do like the options of Harris/Ellis or Nelson/Crowder (or RJ).
I'm wondering if Harris would be a better option as a starter since we have plenty of offensive fire power with Ellis, Parsons and Dirk.
Nelson would give us more offense off the bench with Crowder, RJ, Aminu and Smith or Wright. Nelson's lack of size and D wouldn't be as exposed if he was paired with Crowder and/or Jefferson (or even Aminu).
Old 09-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #3495
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Thanks!!!
I'm a little concerned about that too but I do like the options of Harris/Ellis or Nelson/Crowder (or RJ).
I'm wondering if Harris would be a better option as a starter since we have plenty of offensive fire power with Ellis, Parsons and Dirk.
Nelson would give us more offense off the bench with Crowder, RJ, Aminu and Smith or Wright. Nelson's lack of size and D wouldn't be as exposed if he was paired with Crowder and/or Jefferson (or even Aminu).
The Mavs' best tool for hiding other players' defensive shortcomings is going to be Tyson, so from that perspective (not to mention the need for shooting on the offensive end) I think it makes sense to start Nelson. Also, as the superior defender you probably want DH out there getting closing minutes a fair share of the time, and accomplishing that while at the same time managing his minutes is probably most easily accomplished by bringing him off the bench. At least that's how I see it.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #3496
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
The Mavs' best tool for hiding other players' defensive shortcomings is going to be Tyson, so from that perspective (not to mention the need for shooting on the offensive end) I think it makes sense to start Nelson. Also, as the superior defender you probably want DH out there getting closing minutes a fair share of the time, and accomplishing that while at the same time managing his minutes is probably most easily accomplished by bringing him off the bench. At least that's how I see it.
I think the bottom line is the number of options RC has now for match-ups whether it is the starting lineup, closers, or other critical situations.
I'm hoping Crowder can take his game to another level, especially defensively, to fill a DeShawn Stevenson type role. That is one area where I think we are a bit vulnerable unless Crowder can step it up a notch.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #3497
Vinsanity
Golden Member

Vinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant futureVinsanity has a brilliant future

Was just thinking about this... am I the only one who would rather have Jameer Nelson as our starting point guard over Jose Calderon? Calderon was an incredible 3 point shooter for us last season, but let's be honest... that's about all he did. He mostly became a spot up 3 pt shooter with Monta running the point. People are knocking us saying that losing Jose will be a big loss for us, but I think Jameer brings a lot more to the team. Can shoot almost as well as Jose, can drive and get to the rim (something Jose almost never did last season), is a better leader with playoffs/Finals experience, they're the same age so it's not like we got older, both are about equal as passers (even though Jose is less-turnover prone), and Jameer is better defensively (not saying much, but still). Not to mention the contract we have Jameer on ($2.7mill) is much better than Jose's ($8mill).

So I think we've upgraded our starting PG position, and if Felton can get back to himself, our depth even got better. I'm really excited for this season
Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #3498
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Was just thinking about this... am I the only one who would rather have Jameer Nelson as our starting point guard over Jose Calderon? Calderon was an incredible 3 point shooter for us last season, but let's be honest... that's about all he did. He mostly became a spot up 3 pt shooter with Monta running the point. People are knocking us saying that losing Jose will be a big loss for us, but I think Jameer brings a lot more to the team. Can shoot almost as well as Jose, can drive and get to the rim (something Jose almost never did last season), is a better leader with playoffs/Finals experience, they're the same age so it's not like we got older, both are about equal as passers (even though Jose is less-turnover prone), and Jameer is better defensively (not saying much, but still). Not to mention the contract we have Jameer on ($2.7mill) is much better than Jose's ($8mill).

So I think we've upgraded our starting PG position, and if Felton can get back to himself, our depth even got better. I'm really excited for this season
I may look dumb if Nelson completely bombs, because we haven't seen him play yet and the drop-off in Nelson's game very well could be more about his age and less about being on a crappy team and in a bad situation.

BUT (and this is a BIG but), Nelson can't possibly be worse than Calderon. Nelson is weak defensively and not nearly the shooter that Calderon was, but Calderon hurt both our defense AND our offense. His total lack of playmaking/ability to pass to Dirk/Ellis completely erased any benefit of having a jumpshooter on the team. Calderon's inability to pass made Ellis run our offense, which caused our TO rate to increase by 0.8TO/min while both Calderon/Ellis were playing together.

If Nelson can run basic plays and get it to Dirk where he likes it while not being a black hole when passed to, then he will be a HUGE addition to this team and I'm excited to see him play. I still think I like Harris out there to close out games, because he can run a basic play and defend the more dangerous opposing guard, but Nelson simply can't be worse than Calderon and very well could be a nice spark plug that sets the tone of selflessness that this team needs in the first half.

The contract thing is just icing on the cake and means nothing until this offseason, when Nelson can be re-signed for cheap if he plays well or allowed to walk if he doesn't. Calderon still has two more guaranteed years after this one.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-05-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #3499
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson really seems like a Carlisle guy. I know that may be overused or cliched, but it really, really matters. Nelson won't need to be "coached" or taught how to play the position. He's a solid vet pg who knows how to run a team and is pretty consistent in what he will offer. I haven't really watched him since Howard left, but I remember him having a good balance of attacking versus shooting. And he is an above average passer.

He's a different player than Calderon so no need to really deeply compare the two. He can offer a different dynamic though and to my eyes (at least from the Howard days) is a better playmaker than Jose. We shall see...

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #3500
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Was just thinking about this... am I the only one who would rather have Jameer Nelson as our starting point guard over Jose Calderon?
Nope.

I was a little apprehensive when Calderon was first traded, but we've done more than enough to improve our team since then... Nobody shoots the ball as well as he does, but everybody does something -- if not many things -- better than him.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #3501
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
BUT (and this is a BIG but), Nelson can't possibly be worse than Calderon. Nelson is weak defensively and not nearly the shooter that Calderon was, but Calderon hurt both our defense AND our offense. His total lack of playmaking/ability to pass to Dirk/Ellis completely erased any benefit of having a jumpshooter on the team. Calderon's inability to pass made Ellis run our offense, which caused our TO rate to increase by 0.8TO/min while both Calderon/Ellis were playing together.
I always figured that Calderon's lack of playmaking was a result of him willingly taking on a smaller offensive role so we could maximize the production we'd get out of Ellis (i.e. Calderon is a fantastic catch-and-shoot scorer, while Ellis has always been primarily a scorer off the dribble who loses a lot of value if he doesn't have the ball in his hands). I always secretly wondered last season if we might have been better off starting Calderon with someone like Ellington (probably the best two-way shooting guard on the team), while still giving Ellis 25-30mpg off the bench. Probably not, but to me the reason why Calderon had to go was because both he and Ellis need the ball in their hands to be most effective.

I bet Calderon's going to be close to the 9-10APG mark that he's been at or around for a lot of his career... I think here it had a lot more to do with fit than it had to do with ability. And obviously that means that trading him was probably still a really good decision.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #3502
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Meet the Mavs is still on the books, but they're still finalizing a date. Could hover around the 22, 23 or 24th.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #3503
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Double posts are pretty dumb here...

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 09-05-2014 at 07:35 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #3504
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Meet the Mavs is still on the books, but they're still finalizing a date. Could hover around the 22, 23 or 24th.
I actually like it closer to the season. Gives us something to look forward to in the month of September...then camp is around the corner.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #3505
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I always figured that Calderon's lack of playmaking was a result of him willingly taking on a smaller offensive role so we could maximize the production we'd get out of Ellis (i.e. Calderon is a fantastic catch-and-shoot scorer, while Ellis has always been primarily a scorer off the dribble who loses a lot of value if he doesn't have the ball in his hands). I always secretly wondered last season if we might have been better off starting Calderon with someone like Ellington (probably the best two-way shooting guard on the team), while still giving Ellis 25-30mpg off the bench. Probably not, but to me the reason why Calderon had to go was because both he and Ellis need the ball in their hands to be most effective.

I bet Calderon's going to be close to the 9-10APG mark that he's been at or around for a lot of his career... I think here it had a lot more to do with fit than it had to do with ability. And obviously that means that trading him was probably still a really good decision.
I thought that too, but watching games, I just saw a guy who was unwilling or incapable of passing to Dirk. We'd run three or four plays and then pass it out to him. He'd either take a defended three, or make some awful pass without creating any movement. I can't tell you how many times the ball went to him, Dirk posted up and waited for the pass while Ellis called for it at the top of the circle and Calderon just waited 3-4 seconds and either took the three or passed around the outside. It drove me nuts. I don't think he's a dumb player, but he sure played dumb here and the idea that we wanted him to just be a spot-up shooter doesn't explain all of those stupid plays.

Regardless, there is no difference between a good player in the wrong system/poorly coached or a bad player who just plays up to his ability on the court-- they both hurt the team. I wish Calderon the best, but he was either an awful fit or a subpar player.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 09-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #3506
DGM
Banned

DGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really niceDGM is just really nice

[QUOTE=EricaLubarsky;1355633]I may look dumb if Nelson completely bombs, because we haven't seen him play yet and the drop-off in Nelson's game very well could be more about his age and less about being on a crappy team and in a bad situation.

If Nelson can run basic plays and get it to Dirk where he likes it while not being a black hole when passed to, then he will be a HUGE addition to this team and I'm excited to see him play. I still think I like Harris out there to close out games, because he can run a basic play and defend the more dangerous opposing guard, but Nelson simply can't be worse than Calderon and very well could be a nice spark plug that sets the tone of selflessness that this team needs in the first half.

The contract thing is just icing on the cake and means nothing until this offseason, when Nelson can be re-signed for cheap if he plays well or allowed to walk if he doesn't. Calderon still has two more guaranteed years after this one.[/QUOTE

Just like I said about Ellis last year Mavs fans will love Nelson. This guy is a little bulldog who can lead a team and score. I am very excited about seeing him with the other four starters.]
DGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #3507
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Shams Charania: Free agent Charlie Villanueva is nearing a decision between vet minimum offers from the Mavericks and Clippers, league source tells RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/dall....r18Pyt8U.dpuf
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #3508
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Shams Charania: Free agent Charlie Villanueva is nearing a decision between vet minimum offers from the Mavericks and Clippers, league source tells RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/dall....r18Pyt8U.dpuf
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #3509
spreedom
Diamond Member

I don't get why Villanueva would choose us over the Clippers, and I understand even less why we would pursue him at this stage.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #3510
spreedom
Diamond Member

I don't get why Villanueva would choose us over the Clippers, and I understand even less why we would pursue him at this stage.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:03 PM   #3511
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
why we would pursue him at this stage.
Stretch Four. Nuff said?
Old 09-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #3512
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Stretch Four. Nuff said?
A) Why do we need another stretch 4? We have Dirk, Parsons, and Jefferson as well as non-stretch guys like Aminu and Wright. That is a ton of depth.

B) He's not really better than any of those guys and we have 15 guaranteed contracts.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #3513
Vinsanity
Golden Member

I'd rather give any minutes that Villenueva would possibly get with us to Ivan Johnson. We don't really need another stretch 4. We have the best stretch 4 of all-time, we have Parsons who's gonna see time at PF when Dirk subs out, and Jefferson (40 3pt% last season) can play the 4 as well.

I hope he goes to the Clips.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #3514
Vinsanity
Golden Member

I <3 double posts

Last edited by Vinsanity; 09-08-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #3515
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Espn reporting done deal. Charlie V a Mav, but non-guaranteed.
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?s...ogle.com%22%7D

Last edited by bunkmoreland; 09-08-2014 at 03:21 PM.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #3516
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Added perimeter depth if Charlie V can spread the floor like he used to.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #3517
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:
It gives Greg Smith less pressure to preform good right away. Especially if we don't know how healthy he is quite yet.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #3518
rimrocker
Diamond Member

It'll be interesting to see if he will fit. My guess is that his role will be similar to Brian Cardinal's in 2011.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:20 PM   #3519
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

He does have size, but his game is as suitable for PFs as Wright's is, but significantly less talented.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #3520
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

The Legends are going to be stacked.

Tags
double post double post