Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #321
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to take time - plain and simple
Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #322
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
This is going to take time - plain and simple
Easy for you to say pal!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #323
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that offensively it is going to take time. But defense (just any defense) requires effort and desire and not much else to be competitive. Right now the Mavs are a whole bunch of don't give a crap, there just isn't any other way to put it.

I do think the dismantling of the team has quite a bit to do with that. I expect they will get to give a crap but they are not there yet.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #324
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Welcome to the club, Lakers.

See, can happen to anyone. Blame it on the lockout.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #325
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Mavs gonna get the number 1 pick and get Dwight Howard! Boo yall baby!
I think, that's the plan. Dwight Howard would be perfect for Dallas. Much better than Deron Williams.
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #326
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
Welcome to the club, Lakers.

See, can happen to anyone. Blame it on the lockout.
i dont blame it on the lockout. all the young teams that were crappy in the past are starting to get competive. kings, clips, twolves, pacers
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #327
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
It most certainly is, which is why I never suggested any such thing. If you think that's what I was saying, perhaps you should more carefully re-read the context in which I made the "professionals" comment.
If I am not really smart at seeing through the curtains, then perhaps the error was yours. I took it as your saying something like "Hey, these are NBA players, they should be able to play defense no matter what." They being professionals, and all.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #328
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I understand that offensively it is going to take time. But defense (just any defense) requires effort and desire and not much else to be competitive. Right now the Mavs are a whole bunch of don't give a crap, there just isn't any other way to put it.

I do think the dismantling of the team has quite a bit to do with that. I expect they will get to give a crap but they are not there yet.
I think both are going to take time, but good point nonetheless. No one is gonna miss wide open shots on purpose or not run around screens because you are the champs. You actually have work...hard. Easy for me to say in my recliner. I think they still have to decide whether they want to get gritty, roll up their sleeves and dig in. Right now I don't see the fire and I think some of it has a bit to do with the lack of a backbone. Even if it's not the vocal and intimidating presence of TC, they could use the shot blocking and activity from What Williams brought.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #329
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If I am not really smart at seeing through the curtains, then perhaps the error was yours. I took it as your saying something like "Hey, these are NBA players, they should be able to play defense no matter what." They being professionals, and all.
You took it incorrectly, and it's not because it was shrouded in curtains.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #330
CapitanObvious

CapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud ofCapitanObvious has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
You turned the game off early, didn't you?
Wasn't able to watch the game actually. Was at work.

CapitanObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:46 AM   #331
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
i dont blame it on the lockout. all the young teams that were crappy in the past are starting to get competive. kings, clips, twolves, pacers
The kings and wolves are still crappy, teams that have large roster turnover will take time to get on the same page. I agree that the effort isn't there, but its not just that, they don't anticapate (sp?) each others next move like last years team did and they do not play good position defense. It is going to take 10 or so games.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 AM   #332
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
The kings and wolves are still crappy, teams that have large roster turnover will take time to get on the same page. I agree that the effort isn't there, but its not just that, they don't anticapate (sp?) each others next move like last years team did and they do not play good position defense. It is going to take 10 or so games.
Except in Denvers case...

Old 12-27-2011, 12:52 AM   #333
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
You took it incorrectly, and it's not because it was shrouded in curtains.
Okay. Then what was it you meant? I was under the impression that you thought the Mavs had "professional" basketball players who should necessarily be able to play good defense whether or not their little Teddy bear Tyson Chandler was there to hold their hand.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #334
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Except in Denvers case...
Other than Rudy everyone that played major minutes for Denver was a nugget last year.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 AM   #335
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle taking the heat for this one. He has a point, he doesn't have these guys ready to play.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 AM   #336
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the defensive success last year was based on solid rotations and helping each other out. That disappeared now because of all the new faces on the roster, not entirely because Chandler is gone. They need time to develop new chemistry.

But because of that the defensive liabilities of Kidd, Terry and Carter are unfolded. Kidd had great success against Kobe, Wade and company, but faster points like Lawson today just blow by and score or create for others at will: The Denver backcourt made most of their damage with Kidd and Terry both playing.

I'd be intrigued if West could play near 30 minutes (I doubt it). Throw in Roddy for additional 15 and you have a good perimeter defender on the court nearly all the time (+Marion). Carter could slide to the SF spot and get some minutes there. Roddy has the ability to fight throw screens and to catch up in the paint with his man, at least altering the shot. Kidd & Terry are two steps slow after the p&r and that's simply not good enough if the help defense is not tuned.

Next up is Harden & Westbrook and it won't be pretty. They'll eat Terry and Kidd alive.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #337
mavs777
Diamond Member

Why not put Kidd on Affalo and avoid having Kidd/Carter paired together?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 AM   #338
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That was actually one of my least favorite teams. You had Harper as a holdover, and a way-too-young Jimmy Jackson...and then those lottery busts. It got a lot more fun when we added the other two J's...and Tony Dumas!
You've forgotten the greatness of Donald Hodge, I see.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #339
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Okay. Then what was it you meant? I was under the impression that you thought the Mavs had "professional" basketball players who should necessarily be able to play good defense whether or not their little Teddy bear Tyson Chandler was there to hold their hand.
That was the impression I got, too.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:08 AM   #340
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Other than Rudy everyone that played major minutes for Denver was a nugget last year.

K Mart, Jr SMith

Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #341
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We need to chill.

1) Its not like this phenomenon of losing bad is a new one. I cant tell you how many games we allowed FG% in the 50s and 60s and were slaughtered on the boards. That was WITH Chandler. That was also the same team that won the championship last year.

2) We are obviously hung over, which is not unusual in the history of the NBA.

3) We are introducing a lot of new players and new plays in the playbook, without the benefit of a full pre-season and training camp. We are going to learn as we go. A team simply cant win a game playing unfamiliar plays in practice mode. Good teams will eat you alive doing that and both teams so far are heading to the playoffs.

4) We got beat by the second best team in the league on opening night, and then got slammed with another good team the very next night with no time to recover, practice or retool. The B2Bs are rough particularly early when there is so much work to be done and B2Bs always reduce the team's chances. Denver was excited for their first game. We got slaughtered in our opener and then little more than 24hours later we had to face another team

5) Im not going to say that our chances are great this year-- few teams repeat. Fewer with a completely retooled roster of older players. This shortened season benefits the young guys and the guys that have already played a season together. Miami, Chicago, Denver, OKC are all winners. We have less time to gel, less time to practice and less time to rest the team's older bones-- plus its hard to be motivated when you've been chasing a championship for more than a decade and you finally get it. The guys are pros, but its hard to get up when you've already secured your dream

Im not saying this team will win it all, but this team will make the playoffs for the 11th straight year and they will pull it together. This team is not in freefall and people need to check their overreactions at the door for at least another month.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #342
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Erica, you gotta take down the Chuck sig. There aint no way in hell he gave this year's Mavs team a thumbs up the way they have played.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #343
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon View Post
Forget about plan when Howard will go to NJ for Lopez+Okur in late February.
this is my greatest fear, if Howard goes to NJ we are F'd, and for a long time.
ibivibiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #344
SMC0007
Guru

Yes, because a team without Howard will not win it all!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 PM   #345
ibivibiv

ibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really niceibivibiv is just really nice

Quote:
Yes, because a team without Howard will not win it all!

You know exactly what I mean, there aren't a lot of big names freeing up anytime soon and we are about to lose all of ours...

2013 you have what... Rubio? Griffen (like he'd leave if the Clippers keep their momentum they have now) and Rubio is still and unproven talent

2014 is a little better, Wade and Lebron but that is Wade + 2 more years on his knees and Lebron... well I can't imagine him wanting to come here

So any other wise cracks, or can we agree the stakes are high with us gambling on picking up our next "super star".
Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #346
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibivibiv View Post
this is my greatest fear, if Howard goes to NJ we are F'd, and for a long time.
Howard is overrated. He doesn't really make those around him better 1 of his 4 "blocks" is a goal tend. Our best chance would be to draft a C. I mean we still do have the draft you know.

I would much rather have Deron. This is turning into a PG driven league.
Dale4Saul2Red0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #347
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twelli View Post
I think, that's the plan. Dwight Howard would be perfect for Dallas. Much better than Deron Williams.
Much better?

Dwight is a better player, but when it comes to PG, we are going to be pretty bare at that position once Kidd retires soon. Deron is a superstar, and he's young. I'd love to have him.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale4Saul2Red0 View Post
Howard is overrated. He doesn't really make those around him better 1 of his 4 "blocks" is a goal tend. Our best chance would be to draft a C. I mean we still do have the draft you know.

I was about to write an argument of why you're wrong, but why? It's freaking Dwight Howard. If you think he's overrated, fine, but good luck finding anyone who agrees with you...

Last edited by tcat075; 12-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #348
ibivibiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale4Saul2Red0 View Post

Exactly but Howard -> NJ means no Deron or Howard to here. Deron will stay in NJ if they nab Howard so it's a double wammy. As long as Howard goes somewhere else I think Deron is ours for the taking.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #349
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
K Mart, Jr SMith
not sure your point, they are still giving minutes to players that know the system and have been playing together.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #350
mavs777
Diamond Member

NJ would have no use for Okur. Lopez is decent player coming off a serious injury. And there are quite a few good shooting guards available in next years free agency.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #351
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
not sure your point, they are still giving minutes to players that know the system and have been playing together.
Sure, point is they were key players. We are still giving minutes to players that know the system and have been playing together.