Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 AM   #321
mnmpeanut

mnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to allmnmpeanut is a name known to all

zubie out another 3 to 4 weeks after surgery on his foot. they hope to have him back by the end of march so he can get ready for the playoffs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....24d76299.html
Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #322
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Such a bummer about Zubie, but at least Bouch is coming back & our rookie Ds haven't imploded thus far. It's pretty amazing they've been able to do what they've done since the ASG w/out Zubov & Boucher. Probably for the best they're getting this foot thing taken care of now & hopefully get him back in time for the playoffs.

Trade deadline is tomorrow & the Stars are rumored to be in on just about everyone. I'm so terrified of this Brad Richards thing, guys. He's gonna make almost $8 mil(!!) for the next few years. And I'm not a big fan of giving up Mike Smith. You know who I want, is Olli Jokinen. I didn't realize he's only 29. I kind of don't they're going to do anything though.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:21 PM   #323
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think...well...I don't know. Brad Richards would be a freaking albatross at this point. Worse than Norstrum. I can't wait to be rid of him.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #324
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Someone explain to me why the Stars are linked to this Brad Richards guy, who is apparantly wildly overpaid and has a horrendous plus/minus, and yet Sturm wonders if it wouldn't be genius.

Please explain it so that a caveman such as myself can understand such things.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #325
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I don't even understand it. As someone who loves everything Bob Sturm, I can't explain why he's saying that.

This team is winning and scoring in such a way right now that hasn't happened in a very long time. I say leave it alone.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-25-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #326
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Heika has a decent analysis here:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-richards.html

Too much money for me though. He doesn't score enough goals. He's another pass first guy. He's a great player but not for that money.

His biggest upside is that he has averaged more than a point a game in post season play. 47 points in 45 games. That's pretty stout. But he has Lecavelier and St Louis to pass to on the power play so...

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-25-2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #327
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

my girlfriend works as a personal ass. to the stars head team phy. and about 4 or 5 days ago she heard him on the phone talking about one of the stars saying "he is not even able to skate yet, I am not sure he will be ready for the playoffs". I guessed it was zubie and lo and behold he has the surgery to fix his foot. I guess he was convincing the team and zubov that now was the time to have it. Hope he is back and 100 % by then. Kind of amazing what we have done without him this year.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #328
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

I thought Heika summed it up pretty well...to me, the minuses outweigh the plusses by way too much. And I like Brad Richards, I do. That year TB won the Cup, I followed them pretty closely after the Stars got knocked out (again) & Richards was fantastic. I don't believe he's as bad as he's been this year. If he were like he was in that Cup year, it might be a genius move. But that's a big if & if you're wrong, you're stuck w/no cap flexibility for like the next 3-5 years.

BTW, Jackson is denying that TSN report that the Stars have made an offer (reportedly including Mike Smith). It doesn't sound like they've had serious talks. Good.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:17 AM   #329
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well Prospal is gone. That would've been my recommended deal, even if were just a rental. It wouldn't have cost much.

The Blue Jackets and the Black Hawks are actively pursuing Richards (why?) and as far as I can tell...so are we. I would love to shove Norstrum off on them...but Smitty, I can't bear the thought. What if Marty goes down? Tobias Stephan? Good luck with all of that.

If I lose Smitty and Devin Harris within a 1 week time frame I'm going to be pissed.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #330
ames7
Diamond Member

People on the HockeysFuture boards now saying Richards' agent was just on a Canadian radio station & says Richards has been traded to Dallas. Unconfirmed package is Smith, Halpern & Fistric. Still nothing from the TSN guys.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=481307&page=39

If this is true, I hate this deal.

EDIT: TSN is saying Richards has not been presented with a deal by the Lightning as of 7 minutes ago to ask him to waive his NTC. Everyone is still pushing Dallas as the frontrunner.

Last edited by ames7; 02-26-2008 at 10:06 AM.
ames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM   #331
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I understand what they're trying to do.

Lately in the summer, guys like Richards (28 years old, almost a point a game, durable) will go for not only big money, but 5, 6, 7 years as well. This is something that Armstrong was notorious for hating (unless it's Brenden Morrow) and I think the new 2 headed monster doesn't like the idea either. So now they get Richards for 2 years after this one, and get rid of Norstrums money soon, and maybe even (gulp) Zubov's money after another year....well you get the picture.

We got lucky with the defense this year. Obviously no one expected that we would find 3 legit NHL defensemen in one year. I would've rather moved Grossman than Fistric, but I guess those 2 are about the same. Nisky is the big deal, and he's not going anywhere. Still, the Stars will carry only 6 healthy d-men for another month, and then HOPEFULLY get Zubov back.

The issue I have with it, is Mike Smith. There has been much talk on the broadcast this year about what a luxury it is to have 2 awesome goaltenders. We heard the same thing when Hedberg was here. I wonder if the Stars are taking this for granted? Fernandez, Turco, Hedberg, Smith....we're a goalie factory. Better hope that well didn't dry up with Stephan.

And Halpern....excellent guy. Love him...but sorry dude, it's Brad Richards, who does all the things you do (dependable, decent face offs, penalty kill) and also scores like crazy.

Still...the idea of shaking things up when everything is going so well right now is a bit hard to take for me. Interesting trade when you consider that it's 1 d-man, 1 forward, and 1 goalie.

Realistically....your top 12 gets better, no question.

Your back 6 stays about the same, as you get Boucher back on Thursday, and Zubov back down the road.

You're backup goaltender was hopefully not going to play too much down the stretch, and the Stars have gobs of time off in March so Marty can rest.

The only thing is the money in the future.

The more I think about it, it's not that bad. But I guess we'll check out the chemistry issues and see.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #332
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Another thing: Guerin was a 2.246 million hit on the cap this year.

Halperns 2.00 + Guerin + Norstrum = 8.496 in cap space that gets replaced by 7.8 of Richards next year. If you think about it...that's not a bad deal.

The problem then comes that you have Hagman, Antti, Otter and Stu in need of money for next year. So how far up is the cap going to go next season?

Someone in that group is going to lose out. I hope to hell it's Miettinen, personally. Hagman and Ott are making themselves expensive this season. It's fun to watch, but one of those guys might get swept away. Hagman is unrestricted. That is scary to me.

I wonder if Stu will retire. All in all, things aren't in as bad of shape as I had originally thought.

Modano's number goes down by 2 million next year....but I don't think that changes the cap hit.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #333
ames7
Diamond Member

I want them to offer Hagman the Jeff Halpern special. Something like 4 years at $2mil/per. I have absolutely no problem w/that.

I think Stu(uuu) can pretty much retire whenever. He's already said he doesn't want to play anywhere else. He's just going to continue signing one-year deals for under a mil with us until we no longer have room for him, then hopefully we give him some kind of coaching job.

If it is Richards for Smith, Halps & Fistric, I still wouldn't like it even outside of the money issues just b/c it almost seems like overpayment. They want the goalie. We're the only ones who can really give them a good (& young) one. So if we're going to agree to take back all that $$$, I'd hope they'd push TB to take a lesser player back (like Connor as speculated previously) instead of one of our 3 young D's. I'm assuming Halpern is being thrown in to take his $2 mil off.

BTW, am watching the TSN/NHL Network feed on NHL.com... still nothing on this deal. I'm thinking the previous report is a false alarm. Usually TSN is first on these things.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #334
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I've gone from hating this deal, to indifference...and now I am worried that Vancouver might get him, as ESPN has them on the list now of suitors.

I hate those bastards (canucks).
Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 AM   #335
ames7
Diamond Member

I'll tell you what I'm terrified of. TSN was just saying Calgary is in on Olli Jokinen. Nobody is really talking about them, but Calgary scares me. I love Olli Jokinen. Why aren't we in on this? He'd be cheaper than Richards.

We're not tied to Jokinen or Hossa at all & I'm not understanding that. I like both of them more than I like Richards.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:20 AM   #336
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Me too. Olli would be great. We should've been in on prospal. He went cheap...and to Phili....why?

I'm not sure what the Panthers want though. If it's picks then we won't be involved. We've given too many of those away and I dont think Hullckson (as I've decided to start calling them) want to continue that trend.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #337
ames7
Diamond Member

Brian Campbell to the Sharks. Uh oh. This is not good.

If another West team gets Hossa/Jokinen, we're might NEED to get Richards to keep up.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #338
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Crap.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 AM   #339
ames7
Diamond Member

Richards sounds close. TSN is saying he has been asked to waive his NTC & they believe Dallas & TB have agreed to terms.

EDIT: IT'S DONE. Details coming...

Last edited by ames7; 02-26-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #340
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

FWST reporting the same thing.

I guess we'll wait for a few minutes....

I hate trade deadline days. I can't get S done.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #341
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

its been reported on the ticket...

talk to me about what this deal does, flaco???

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 AM   #342
ames7
Diamond Member

Smith, Jokinen & Halpern. Okay. I'm hating it less.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:50 AM   #343
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Hmmm.....
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #344
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

who are they getting and are they any good?

The Ticket was saying this was going to be the biggest deal of the day.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 02-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #345
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
its been reported on the ticket...

talk to me about what this deal does, flaco???
Read my post above #331 and also read this:

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...-richards.html

But mostly...it should help give them more scoring depth. But we lose our awesome backup goalie, again. So if Turco goes down...we be boned.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-26-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM   #346
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Very mixed feelings about this. Very much mixed feelings. I'm excited to see it though.

He's listed as a Center/Left Wing.

So do you play him with Modano and Ott?

Or with Hagman and....Miettinen/Eriksson?

It might be a while before this gels.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #347
sike
The Preacha

So Richards is the linchpin....how do you asses his overall game and impact to this team?

Where does this place the Stars as far as playoff hopes? For example, could they say this deal could put them over the top?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #348
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well here is this guy eating lobster bisque out of the Stanley Cup...

And he won playoff MVP that year.

So.... yeah it could. It's all about chemistry in the NHL. He's really a 50/50 guy when it comes to passing and shooting...so I hope we can find him someone to finish off some passes. I hope this gets Modano excited.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #349
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Well here is this guy eating lobster bisque out of the Stanley Cup...

And he won playoff MVP that year.

So.... yeah it could. It's all about chemistry in the NHL. He's really a 50/50 guy when it comes to passing and shooting...so I hope we can find him someone to finish off some passes. I hope this gets Modano excited.
thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #350
ames7
Diamond Member

We're getting Holmqvist back too? Let's see his numbers:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2139

Better hope Tobias Stephan is as good as they think.

Richards is more a set-up guy. He's still pretty young...I believe 27. Great playoff experience--obviously, he was the Conn Smythe winner (Stanley Cup playoff MVP) when the Bolts won the Cup in 04. I do like that he's a proven playoff performer cause you gotta remember that Ribeiro isn't yet & Mo hasn't looked good in the playoffs for several years now. The +/- numbers will improve in Dallas...I mean, he's probably going to play w/Modano & Lehtinen, two of the best defensive forwards in the league. How can they not get better?

I like Jussi, but he's inconsistent. He's one of those guys that is just good enough to pay more for than you want to. Halps is a victim of needing to clear cap space & too many centers.

Your centers now: Ribs, Richards, Modano, Stu(uuu), Ott, Lundqvist. Almost all of these guys can also play wing. I've heard it's not a good idea to put Richards at wing though...
Old 02-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #351
sike
The Preacha

Bob and Norm talking trade right now...

Bob says Richards is one of the better guys in the league...

Old 02-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #352
sike
The Preacha

Richards is last in the league in +/-

Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #353
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah....he needs a change in scenery, me thinks. Plus the lightning are the second worst team in the league. I'm not too worried about it.

And if he plays with Modano and Ott, as I suspect.....he won't need to worry about his +/- too much.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #354
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Holmqvist on the books for an even million this year....he won't be back here next year. He's a decent insurance policy for the remainder of the season.

I think Tobias Stephan needs to get his popcorn ready for next season. He could be watching some good shows from the bench at the AAC.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #355
sike
The Preacha

Bob is at his best talking Hockey

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #356
ames7
Diamond Member

Again, am totally not worried about his +/-. Come on. Guys just don't have bad +/-s in Dallas.

Here's some opinions:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...y/WBhockeyblog
http://mirtle.blogspot.com/2008/02/r...to-dallas.html

I think that as a hockey trade...this is absolutely a win for us. But as Bob says, we're married to this core now. So they better win.

Good breakdown here: http://www.forecaster.ca/thestar/hoc...7-08&x_id=1096

Mike Smith is on TSN right now...streaming video through www.nhl.com. Sounds like he's pretty emotional.

Last edited by ames7; 02-26-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #357
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Bob is at his best talking Hockey
That's why he is my leader
Old 02-26-2008, 12:35 PM   #358
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The biggest reason I like this deal....it should strike fear into the hearts and minds of the Shark fans, and temper their enthusiasm about their deal.

I will however be fearing their power play a great deal more than I had this season.

The Ducks already made their moves in getting Selanne and Geezermeyer back in the lineup.

This is going to be a fun couple of months for somebody.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #359
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

BREAKING NEWS:

Devean George has blocked the Brad Richards deal

film at 11.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #360
ames7
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
BREAKING NEWS:

Devean George has blocked the Brad Richards deal

film at 11.
LOL. Genius.

Seriously though...listening to Bob & Dan...I think I've been talked into a complete 180. I now really like this deal. I thought Bob made an interesting point comparing it to the Kidd deal. Kidd is a win-now 2-year window deal. Richards/Morrow/Ribs/Turco represents about a 5-year window...with or without Modano & Zubov. The only question mark is who takes over the net when Turco is done? (He's already 32!)

How did this franchise reload without anyone noticing it was happening? Suddenly we're in great shape for the future.