Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #321
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
AJ's comments really rub be the wrong way for some reason. I'm pretty dissappointed about the loss, but I think comments like that can be alienating and not necessarily productive. No internal leadership? That's pretty harsh.

I never agreed with Nelson's six-shooter theory, but its too late in the season for Avery to be unloading the uzi. Its not a good time to lose the team.
It is unfortunate that he said what he said in my opinion. I know that he's just trying to get more of a sense of urgency out of some of the guys, but this flies in the face of much of what he's said throughout the year...

But come on... don't crap on everyone after a loss to GS.

But here's exactly why this won't hurt the Mavs. Because they do have leadership. The Mavs will bounce back and be ready for the playoffs. This team has constantly responded all year long. That is a result of leadership.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #322
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Stack say Billups was the MVP just a month ago?

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #323
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Terry: This one falls solely on me.

Also: This team thrives on adversity.

I believe him, fully, with the second part. I bet they kick the crap out of the Kings tomorrow night.
from 600 miles away! Its going to be a sonic boom. The nuclear meltdown of the sun is going to knock teams down, in neighboring states
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #324
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Yea it hasn't been Dirk's day as far as comments about him are concerned lol. But I think AJ's comments can also be just to pump up Dirk. To let him know that he's not doing his job as a leader therefore he needs to step it up. I hope that's what he's trying to do atleast. If he feels this way i'd prefer he say it earlier in the season. Not when the post season is about to arrive.
There's pumping up and there's calling out. The line is very fuzzy in this case.

Ugh...

Of all the people on this team, Dirk doesn't deserve to have sh*t raining on him.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-13-2006 at 12:45 AM.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:43 AM   #325
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I want somebody to explain why Stackhouse is useful to this team heading into the playoffs (assuming Devin Harris can play).
Old 04-13-2006, 12:44 AM   #326
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

they should not have to though chum....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #327
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
from 600 miles away! Its going to be a sonic boom. The nuclear meltdown of the sun is going to knock teams down, in neighboring states
Honestly, what's the difference?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #328
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Terry: This one falls solely on me.

Also: This team thrives on adversity.

I believe him, fully, with the second part. I bet they kick the crap out of the Kings tomorrow night.
Terry needs to stop with the talk and step up instead. His lack of defense wants me to rip my hair out. It would be less painful I think.

And I hope they don't go to Sacramento when they're supposed to play Phoenix.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #329
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I know... It's idiotic of AJ to shit on Dirk and the team even after tonight's game. With all the injuries that they've battled through... With the way Dirk especially carried this team through all of it and kept them on a 60+ win pace. Why in the world would AJ do this? I know it's just a motivational tactic directed probably at guys like JET and Howard that really didn't show up tonight. But why would AJ do this?
Old 04-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #330
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran
I want somebody to explain why Stackhouse is useful to this team heading into the playoffs (assuming Devin Harris can play).
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 04-13-2006, 12:46 AM   #331
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, he *is* tough, I'll give him that. He doesn't mind mixing it up, whether it be driving the lane or throwing punches in the tunnel.

Might that be a factor?

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-13-2006 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #332
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I think what sike was trying to say is that Stack would make a mighty fine bucket boy.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 AM   #333
sike
The Preacha

Angry

Quote:
oh wait...I got it....AJ wants him to get 5 dimes a game.....and 4 turn overs......and 5 forced shots........and a entire 24 mintues of poor defense....should I go on?

Old 04-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #334
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think much of this kind of thing at all. AJ and Dirk seem to understand eachother just fine. Both men know that this team will only go as far as Dirk can take them.

However, what is much more disturbing to me is his blind love for Stackhouse.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #335
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly would have downplayed this game if I was AJ. The team is tired and wanted to rest for the playoffs, but were faced with the HCA thing which we could have fought hard for-- perhaps in vain.

As it is, we play like we're the Warriors-- just have fun because there is nothing important except for confidence and rest
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #336
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
oh wait...I got it....AJ wants him to get 5 dimes a game.....and 4 turn overs......and 5 forced shots........and a entire 24 mintues of poor defense....should I go on?
But of course, AJ would tell you that Stack helps the team in ways that the stats don't show..
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #337
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Chum - I guess if there's a fight in the parking lot, he could come in handy.

sike - It's just weird to me, because Stackhouse is easily the worst defender on the team (he makes Terry look like the Glove), and he's inefficient offensively. And oh yeah, he can't shoot from more than 8 feet with any consistency.

I just don't get it.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:50 AM   #338
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
I know... It's idiotic of AJ to shit on Dirk and the team even after tonight's game. With all the injuries that they've battled through... With the way Dirk especially carried this team through all of it and kept them on a 60+ win pace. Why in the world would AJ do this? I know it's just a motivational tactic directed probably at guys like JET and Howard that really didn't show up tonight. But why would AJ do this?
I think you nailed it. I think it's guys like Jet and Howard. Actually--and especially considering that AJ played the point like Terry does, and given that Terry stepped up and took full blame after the game (and presumably after hearing from the coach)--I think it's probably about Terry. Dirk is Dirk. He is going to be Dirk, no matter what happens. You could set a bomb off outside the arena, and Dirk will still give you 25.

AJ wasn't happy with Terry tonight, I think is the case.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #339
Murphy3
Guru

KG, it's because of his attitude. It's amazing, but if you act tough, you get away with playing at a below average level most of the time. If you want the ball, it doesn't matter if you only hit the shot 39% of the time. If you get in a player's face and talk shit, it doesn't matter that you've constantly been burned on defense.

With regards to AJ, all that matters to this guy seems to be his attitude..even if he doesn't come anywhere close to backing it up. You know what? He acts like volunteering to come off of the bench is such a noble thing for the guy to do. Guess what? He should be coming off of the bench. He's not good enough to start on this team.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:53 AM   #340
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
As it is, we play like we're the Warriors-- just have fun because there is nothing important except for confidence and rest
I'm sorry, but I don't understand a word you are saying.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #341
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
I think you nailed it. I think it's guys like Jet and Howard. Actually--and especially considering that AJ played the point like Terry does, and given that Terry stepped up and took full blame after the game (and presumably after hearing from the coach)--I think it's probably about Terry. Dirk is Dirk. He is going to be Dirk, no matter what happens. You could set a bomb off outside the arena, and Dirk will still give you 25.

I hope so. That does make some sense.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #342
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
KG, it's because of his attitude. It's amazing, but if you act tough, you get away with playing at a below average level most of the time. If you want the ball, it doesn't matter if you only hit the shot 39% of the time. If you get in a player's face and talk shit, it doesn't matter that you've constantly been burned on defense.

With regards to AJ, all that matters to this guy seems to be his attitude..even if he doesn't come anywhere close to backing it up. You know what? He acts like volunteering to come off of the bench is such a noble thing for the guy to do. Guess what? He should be coming off of the bench. He's not good enough to start on this team.
In summary: F*ck Stack.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:55 AM   #343
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

I don't know that it wasn't aimed at Dirk...but even if it wasn't, that is not the way that it sounded... It's not the way that it'll be looked at by the public..by the media. Regardless of the intent, he threw the heart, TALENT and soul under the bus.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #344
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:

I'm with you.

Terry 34 - Harris 14
Griffin 15 - Daniels 15 - Harris 18
Howard 35 - Griffin 13
Nowitzki 42 - Powell 6
Diop/Dampier - 48

I see no problems with that playoff rotation, except perhaps the 4th scorer issue against San Antonio, but Harris can remedy that.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:00 AM   #345
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand a word you are saying.
we can play the rest of the season like we're already out of the playoff hunt because seeding is set.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:03 AM   #346
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I don't know that it wasn't aimed at Dirk...but even if it wasn't, that is not the way that it sounded... It's not the way that it'll be looked at by the public..by the media. Regardless of the intent, he threw the heart, TALENT and soul under the bus.
And you know what..in a way...in a way...in a way it wasn't a lot unlike Stackhouse's MVP comments. AJ made a big deal of saying that he has to take the blame for games like this, while at the same time implying that he shouldn't have to take the blame for guys like this. If you thought his laying the blame on the lack of "internal leadership" fell on Dirk, you can then infer that AJ thinks he would be a better coach if Dirk were a better player. And that ties in somewhat with what Stack said.

Oh, but that is a terrible reach. But then again, "I've been waiting for 79 games for internal leadership" would indeed seem to imply that Dirk just isn't the kind of internal leader AJ wants.

I don't know. It's confusing. I know it's a motivational ploy, but the only rational explanation I can think of is that AJ wants Terry to exhibit leadership and he doesn't think he's doing it well. But yeah, why throw Dirk under that same bus?
Old 04-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #347
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
we can play the rest of the season like we're already out of the playoff hunt because seeding is set.
Well, now we can! But I was holding on to some hope before tonight.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #348
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Clearly 6th worst in franchise history. As Bill Walton might say, "What a cataclysmic turn of events!"
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #349
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
And you know what..in a way...in a way...in a way it wasn't a lot unlike Stackhouse's MVP comments. AJ made a big deal of saying that he has to take the blame for games like this, while at the same time implying that he shouldn't have to take the blame for guys like this. If you thought his laying the blame on the lack of "internal leadership" fell on Dirk, you can then infer that AJ thinks he would be a better coach if Dirk were a better player. And that ties in somewhat with what Stack said.

Oh, but that is a terrible reach. But then again, "I've been waiting for 79 games for internal leadership" would indeed seem to imply that Dirk just isn't the kind of internal leader AJ wants.

I don't know. It's confusing. I know it's a motivational ploy, but the only rational explanation I can think of is that AJ wants Terry to exhibit leadership and he doesn't think he's doing it well. But yeah, why throw Dirk under that same bus?
Well, I think AJ said on the radio today or yesterday that Dirk is the MVP of the league.... I don't necessarily think his post game comments were directed at Dirk... But that is how it'll look.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:07 AM   #350
sike
The Preacha

"I just don't get it."

you and me both vet-man.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 AM   #351
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I'm with you.

Terry 34 - Harris 14
Griffin 15 - Daniels 15 - Harris 18
Howard 35 - Griffin 13
Nowitzki 42 - Powell 6
Diop/Dampier - 48

I see no problems with that playoff rotation, except perhaps the 4th scorer issue against San Antonio, but Harris can remedy that.
Griffin's and Harris's minutes might be a little heavy there. But still and all, it's a fultile exercise given that we know Stack is going to play. And I'm afraid that Stack going to the starting lineup this late in the season was a one-way street. The guy is going to play about 30 minutes, no matter what. You can probably take about 18 of those from Griffin and about 12 from Harris, in the distribution you have suggested. Daniels's minutes seem about right.

Last edited by chumdawg; 04-13-2006 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #352
sike
The Preacha

"Well, I think AJ said on the radio today or yesterday that Dirk is the MVP of the league"
I heard this too...but it was certainly not a rousing type of endorsement....it more sounded like a guy who wanted to help his player out...but then again maybe I'm reading too much into it...

Old 04-13-2006, 01:11 AM   #353
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
But still and all, it's a fultile exercise given that we know Stack is going to play.
I know, you're right. I was just posing the hypothetical question. Your 28-30 mpg guess is probably about right, too.

Before tonight, I've been willing to live with Stackhouse's horrible defense and subpar shooting and decision-making. Suddenly, now I'm not.

He needs to be gone in the summer. I just hope he doesn't get in the way of our title run this year.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:13 AM   #354
spurs4life
Banned

spurs4life has a little shameless behaviour in the past

hahahaha what a bunch of shit your team is

can't even win the season series versus a team that is 30-47

and you call yourselves the second best team in the west? HA

have fun in the playoffs, dickwads
spurs4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #355
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs4life

Goodbye.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #356
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1...and you're gone.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #357
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

yay, I changed someone's box-rep-score finally
Old 04-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #358
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:

I feel better now.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #359
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Before tonight, I've been willing to live with Stackhouse's horrible defense and subpar shooting and decision-making. Suddenly, now I'm not.
It's because, despite his mediocre play, he at least acted the part of the supportive teammate. He brought the intangibles in the lockeroom and on the court - 'attitude', 'heart', blah blah blah. Tonight he showed his true colors, and they are schmucky.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:16 AM   #360
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:

Go enjoy your split with Atlanta elsewhere.