Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #321
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
If you don't want to complain, I will. 26 points, but 23 shots to do so. Plus 13 FT's to help him out. Awful game. Horrid game. Missed a ton of open looks, including a wide open look at the end of the game.

11 rebounds and the Barea assist were nice, but Dirk doesn't play to make good passes and get rebounds. He plays so he can score for this team, be their go-to guy. He wasn't anyhting like that tonight...
Yeah, the 13 free throws are part of what makes me hesitant to complain. His shot wasn't falling, but at least he was getting to the line and rebounding. No matter who you are, your shots won't always fall. Dirk can occasionally completely disappear when his shot doesn't fall. Didn't do that tonight. It sucks, and I wouldn't give him a pass for it, but I can't say I'm disappointed with his effort the way I have been with some games this year.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #322
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg_veteran View Post
He's a classless punk, but I could say that about several of the Nuggets.
If I was Denver parent, I would be morally opposed to taking my kids to a Nuggets game.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #323
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

awesome game by hollins tho- 9 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks in 22 mins. i really want to see more of that. 7ft AND he can jump.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #324
frankvizza

frankvizza will become famous soon enough

we almost did lol ,, damn wright
frankvizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #325
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's see:

Positives
Hollins was sick. Blocking and dunking like a crazy man.

Barea is really, really good on the offensive end when he's on.

Negatives
Dirk was anti-un-non-clutch.

Green's shot selection still sucks. Someone needs to tell this kid he needs to be taking 3 shots: driving dunks, open 3's and open to semi-contested jumpers.

Wright was worse than Dirk and that's saying something.

Singleton didn't respond well at all to his start. Was really bad. His 3 was the only good thing he did all game.

JET scored 20 but with a lousy %.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #326
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
If I was Denver parent, I would be morally opposed to taking my kids to a Nuggets game.
Your kid would get tatted up just from watching them on a regular basis.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #327
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Singleton's not really a good fit at SF for long stretches because he doesn't provide enough scoring.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #328
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
Yeah, the 13 free throws are part of what makes me hesitant to complain. His shot wasn't falling, but at least he was getting to the line and rebounding. No matter who you are, your shots won't always fall. Dirk can occasionally completely disappear when his shot doesn't fall. Didn't do that tonight. It sucks, and I wouldn't give him a pass for it, but I can't say I'm disappointed with his effort the way I have been with some games this year.
Most of his FT's were because of lose ball fouls and the like, when Denver was over the limit. I know his only 2 in the 4th quarter was due to a lose ball foul.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #329
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Singleton's not really a good fit at SF for long stretches because he doesn't provide enough scoring.
And he gets pulled away from the basket which is where he does his best work, offensively and defensively.

On the game as a whole; it sucks lose a close one like that, but I'm pretty darn impressed with their effort tonight. This team shouldn't be capable of playing at that level with their injury situation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #330
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

we could have really used howard today to drive..... i really hope we somehow get to #7 or 6....
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #331
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

And are there Mav fans that really think the Mavs stand a chance against the Lakers?

The Mavs f*cked up again. It has been the norm this year. Of course BGMav or ProdigyDub will tell me how there are lots of other chances.. or some such.

And the talent level on the Mavs is pathetic. Everyone else competing for the playoffs has a good 8 man rotation. The Mavs are the f*ckin' isle of misfit toys.

Isle of Misfit toys
Wright can guard but can't score/shoot
Barea can't guard but can shoot
Damp can't score but can guard
Bass can score but can't guard
Dirk can score but can't guard
Terry can score but can't guard
Kidd can't score but can pass (can't guard quick players)
Singleton is hit or miss, he can sometimes score or sometimes guard
Green can score but can't do anything else
Carroll can't guard or shoot
George can guard but can't shoot/score
Stackhouse can't do anything

There is not a single two way play on the Mavs team.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #332
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
awesome game by hollins tho- 9 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks in 22 mins. i really want to see more of that. 7ft AND he can jump.
He played his heart out (as he usually does in every game). If he can continue to play defense the way he did, grab the boards, block or alter shots, and provide his youthful enthusiasm and energy, he can really help this team.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #333
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
And he gets pulled away from the basket which is where he does his best work, offensively and defensively.
Right.

Quote:
On the game as a whole; it sucks lose a close one like that, but I'm pretty darn impressed with their effort tonight. This team shouldn't be capable of playing at that level with their injury situation.
The only reason I'm disappointed is that the Mavs could have moved up tonight. NO lost, and the Mavs needed to take advantage. I really don't want LA in the first round.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #334
frankvizza

frankvizza will become famous soon enough

you forgot about hollins
frankvizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #335
tcat075
Diamond Member

If Green can fix his shot selection, he'd be a lot better player.

Green should be taking open 3's and jumpers, should be driving (and kicking if lane is too clogged), and alley-oops. Fast break dunks, for sure. I'm even okay with jumpers that are contested, as long as he knocks them down sometimes and doesn't try to fade away or do some shit while shooting it. Put back dunks are good for him, too.

But besides that? All those other shots gotta go. No more falling-away jumpers, no more trying to draw contact when the defender is on the ground 15 feet away from the basket, no more trying to shoot pull-up jumpers with a man in his face.

edit: But Carlisle shouldn't stop using him immediately because of a bad game. You have to give the kid some time and see how he reacts. Green had a bad performance, but maybe if he gets four or five games in a row, he'll play better. It just doesn't make sense to play the kid, then bench him the first time he has a bad game. You've got to work through mistakes.

Last edited by tcat075; 03-27-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:20 PM   #336
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Bayliss,

you're really throwing a fit about a loss without Kidd? It's not even worth throwing Howard in the debate because he's been gone for a while and I can't say with confidence he would've made a positive impact on the game to where it would've made the difference.

I sure know Kidd would've made a difference. But way to get all down about THIS loss and lump it with the other ones you've noted in the past. I would say this one is pretty different.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #337
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
I was very impressed with their effort tonight as well. Honestly, when I heard that Kidd wasn't going to play, I knew it would be extremely tough to get a win. It was just unfortunate that Dirk was off tonight and JET had minimal impact on the game as well. But considering that those 2 guys struggled for most of the game, it was still a close game. Credit goes to Hollins and JJB. Both really played well tonight.
monty55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #338
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:

Definantly, Singleton's biggest strength is rebounding, which benefits him when playing the 4 or 5, not the 3.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #339
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The only reason I'm disappointed is that the Mavs could have moved up tonight. NO lost, and the Mavs needed to take advantage. I really don't want LA in the first round.
Definitely hurts, that's for sure. But going into the game without Kidd or Josh, if you tell me I can have the ball in Dirk's hand with an open 15 footer to win it as the game ends, I take that no questions asked.

I wish we could get some news on Josh's situation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #340
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

I know the Mavs got more freethrows than the Nuggets tonight...

But the Nuggets are thugs. They clobbered and fouled and shoved, and pushed the Mavs players all night long.

And whether Dirk's shot had a prayer of making it or not at the end, that was a blatant, ridiculous foul. The Nuggets basically threw him down to the floor. The Refs HAVE to call that and they did not, presumably just because they wanted to go home.

Garbage.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #341
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Did he ever get his Cortisone Shot?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #342
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Definitely hurts, that's for sure. But going into the game without Kidd or Josh, if you tell me I can have the ball in Dirk's hand with an open 15 footer to win it as the game ends, I take that no questions asked.

Agreed, on both points.

See you all on Sunday.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 PM   #343
tcat075
Diamond Member

I hate the Nuggets. Billups reminds me of Bowen, except on offense. Anderson joins Josh in the offseason for daily crack smoking. JR is just a thug.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #344
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:

You'd give the ball to Dirk in the clutch with an open shot because you know Dirk is going to make that.

And he didn't.

That's why it hurts.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #345
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
And are there Mav fans that really think the Mavs stand a chance against the Lakers?

The Mavs f*cked up again. It has been the norm this year. Of course BGMav or ProdigyDub will tell me how there are lots of other chances.. or some such.

And the talent level on the Mavs is pathetic. Everyone else competing for the playoffs has a good 8 man rotation. The Mavs are the f*ckin' isle of misfit toys.

Isle of Misfit toys
Wright can guard but can't score/shoot
Barea can't guard but can shoot
Damp can't score but can guard
Bass can score but can't guard
Dirk can score but can't guard
Terry can score but can't guard
Kidd can't score but can pass (can't guard quick players)
Singleton is hit or miss, he can sometimes score or sometimes guard
Green can score but can't do anything else
Carroll can't guard or shoot
George can guard but can't shoot/score
Stackhouse can't do anything

There is not a single two way play on the Mavs team.
You forgot Hollins, who sadly may be the best two-way player on the team. Dunks and blocks. That's two ways.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #346
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Give Dirk all the credit for this one. He was freakin' HORRIBLE in the second half.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #347
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Hollins is a little like Green. He really isn't two way. His really doesn't have offense. And if you consider him dunking to be offensive then you have to say Kidd is a two way player as well. Kidd can hit 3s....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #348
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Hollins is a little like Green. He really isn't two way. His really doesn't have offense. And if you consider him dunking to be offensive then you have to say Kidd is a two way player as well. Kidd can hit 3s....
Good point. Hollins is nice when people are creating shots for him, but he can't provide offense. Nor can Kidd. Kidd can't create his own offense.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #349
MaVs 41 BaLler
Golden Member

MaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud ofMaVs 41 BaLler has much to be proud of

What about Shawne Williams what happen to that kid?
Did he die?

and how long is it going to take till usher develops into the next lebron james

Last edited by MaVs 41 BaLler; 03-28-2009 at 08:47 PM.
MaVs 41 BaLler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #350
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaVs 41 BaLler View Post
What about Shawne Williams what happen to that kid?
Did he die?

and how long is it going to take till usher develops into the next lebron james
I really liked Shawne's D and rebounding, but he was really struggling with his shooting. I think Singleton makes him a bit redundant.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #351
tcat075
Diamond Member

Why is this still stickied?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #352
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
Why is this still stickied?
I don't follow....

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Tags
doom, is a fun game, it's goofy time!, secretly want the lakers, u go root for lakers