Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-03-2006, 01:05 AM   #321
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe will remember what??? Hell, he would probably WANT that again... It takes their best defender out of the game against him... Superstars don't back down and "remember" hard, (or in this case, incredibly excessive), fouls... They keep coming at you with everything they have and you can rest assured that is exactly what Bryant will do.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #322
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Nash: "The playoffs are bringing out the best in everybody. All of us choirboys are living up to our reputations."
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #323
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I will try to blow up that video and put it in slow motion to determine if Barkley was right, (he said that if you look carefully you will see that the elbow Bell complained about never actually hit him). Of course, we all know that Barkley is a joke, but still...

Bell is pretty good at flopping, but I don't know if he would get that mad unless he was really hit!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:09 AM   #324
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
There is a difference between a hard foul and that crap Raja pulled... Most hard fouls dont get you tossed... And most don't potentially cost your team by getting you suspended in the playoffs... That was REAL smart on his part!
Flagrant 2's get your tossed, brutha. That's what they are defined as: fouls that get you tossed.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 AM   #325
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Flagrant 2's get your tossed, brutha. That's what they are defined as: fouls that get you tossed.
Yup... Flagrant 2s do get you tossed, but the good ol hard foul is NOT a flagrant 2... A flagrant 2 is bullshit like Bell pulled, which was just STUPID!

How you can support that type of crap on the basketball court, (grabbing a guy around his neck and stopping all of his momentum and then taking your other arm and slamming him to the ground), is truly beyond me!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #326
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
And isn't that what hard fouls are about? You want them to remember it, right?
Chum, I usually agree with you on things, but not on this one. Acceptable hard fouls are those where an attempt is made on the ball, not those to take out a player. Raja Bell made no play for the ball there. To me, it was just plain dirty.

Like I said earlier, when Bell was here he was one of my favorite players on the team. He was one of the few guys on that 02-03 team that actually played defense. He was a great teammate in that he didn't back down and he would get in an opposing player's face if that opposing player messed with any Mav. I remember him going after Rashard Lewis in a hotly contested battle after a hard foul was administered on another Mav (can't remember which one). That's all well and good, but what he did tonight isn't worthy of my respect.

I remember an article written by Hunter S. Thompson back in the 02-03 Kings series in which Thompson ripped Bell's character. I did some digging and found it. Here's a bit of what he said:

Quote:
Now some jackass named Bell is trying to sock Bobby Jackson in the face. Jackson has a broken jaw and a fractured orbital bone above his eye. Incredible. How low do you have to sink in the slime of human stupidity to deliberately whack one of the classiest players in the league in the face when he has a cracked eye-bone and a broken jaw?

That is unacceptable rudeness. Bell is a knee-crawling, back-stabbing punk with the soul of a Rat and the heart of a filthy virus. The NBA should have him committed to a state Mental Hospital, and locked down with restraints until he gets his entire body dyed bright yellow, which will stay on his skin forever.

Excellent, eh? You bet. There is only One way to deal with a vicious Punk -- and that way is viciously. Take my word for it. I know exactly how to deal with human scum…
I remember thinking at the time, "Wow. That's harsh! Raja's a great guy!" Plus, I remember watching those replays and it was clear that Raja wasn't trying to hurt Jackson on that particular play. However, with some of the things I've seen him do this year, I can see a bit of Thompson's point.

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #327
chumdawg
Guru

I can understand that criticism of Bell. And certainly I'm not trying to say that it was a hard foul as opposed to a flagrant foul. But this is the playoffs we are talking about here, and the stakes are high, and no one ever said this was a gentlemen's game.

There is physical play every time Dampier leans up against Gasol. There is physical play when Dirk knocks Gasol in the face. There is physical play in these playoffs.

Because the stakes are high. As Nash said, these aren't choirboys out there. These are guys fighting tooth and nail for a championship. These are guys who will hurt you, man. These are Roy Williamses who will pull you down from behind and break your leg. These are Pete Roses who will knock you out at home plate and end your career.

This is not golf. This is a contact sport. And the dial has been turned up in these playoffs.

There is a gladiator element to it, yes. I don't deny that.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #328
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

But again Chum... There is a BIG difference in playing physical, (or even giving hard fouls), and what Bell did. He himself said it was a mistake so how can you back it. It was a stupid mistake and even he knows that... Apparently you are the only one that doesn't!

I guess you are just a lot more "old school" than I am... Personally, I don't think there is a place for that crap... HE CLOTHESLINED HIM CHUM... He clotheslined him.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:52 AM   #329
chumdawg
Guru

You're damn right, he clotheslined him. Right there in front of God and everybody.

And I might add that he is the first person to ever take on the great Athenian god Kobe Bryant in such a way.

Of course he is going to say what he is going to say. That's all part of the scheme. Point is, Raja Bell looked the great evil monster in the eye and said: Not in this house!

That's a warrior, man. That's a warrior.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:59 AM   #330
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I gained a lot of respect for Kobe on that play actually. The guy handled it like a warrior.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #331
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I guess you just hate Kobe... That is the only way you could be saying what you are with a straight face.

I would rather a guy like Griffin that doesn't back down from anyone and plays tough and SMART rather than a headcase like Bell... If that is a warrior, I want no warriors on my team!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #332
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Will they really suspend Raja after letting Evans off the hook?

I thought it was hilarious, but I hate Kobe and love me some Raja.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #333
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

That is a good pont FreshJive... I guess I would have to call Evans' play more worthy of a suspension so he probably won't.

With that said, again, that junk has no place on an NBA court.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:20 AM   #334
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
I guess you just hate Kobe... That is the only way you could be saying what you are with a straight face.

I would rather a guy like Griffin that doesn't back down from anyone and plays tough and SMART rather than a headcase like Bell... If that is a warrior, I want no warriors on my team!
Check your purse at the door, Dan.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:23 AM   #335
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen the play and did not catch the game but I don't think there's a place for blatant takedowns in the league - which is what it sounds like from this board. Hope they don't suspend him thoough, I'm looking forward to what Kobe vs Raja will bring in Game 6.

Congrats to the Suns!

Dirty 4
Filthy 3
Nasty 2

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:27 AM   #336
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is a good pont FreshJive... I guess I would have to call Evans' play more worthy of a suspension so he probably won't.

With that said, again, that junk has no place on an NBA court.
I hear ya. It was definately reckless. It looked like he was originally going for the ball, and then inteneded to just stop Kobe's drive with a foul, but his emotions got the better of him and he finished it off too hard.

I'll admit that if it weren't Kobe I wouldn't have been so amused.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:32 AM   #337
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Never mind. I just watched it about 20 times (its just so horrific ). He never went for the ball. He was thinking takedown from the start.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #338
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

You know..... that was really classless what Bell did, what a punk. And I have a feeling that it's going to bite his team in the behind when they play on Thursday.

That wasn't a clothesline, that was a frickin' mugging.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:44 AM   #339
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Completely classless. I hate Kobe, but good grief, how anyone could support that move without having their tongue firmly planted in their cheeck (*cough* CHUM *cough*) is beyond me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #340
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #341
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I like the lady in the stands with her hands to her face that you can see when the camera starts to zoom in on Raja after the body slam.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #342
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Should he be suspended? Probably. But I don't want him to be. If he is in the game at Staples Center I think that would be a positive for the Lakers more so than the Suns.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:27 AM   #343
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
After Bell threw Bryant down, he pointed to the Lakers' bench and yelled, "That's your foul."
Is it possible for me to both applaud and condemn Raja's clothesline?? I'd like to take that option, if its there.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 05-03-2006, 09:41 AM   #344
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

i have always like raja but that play is just bs. I am all for hard fouls. I wish we would give more of them. If he had just put kobe on his ass fine but there is no place for that play in basketball. That is just complete and utter crap.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 09:47 AM   #345
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Check your purse at the door, Dan.
Yeah... That was called for...

I guess we should all check our purses because NO ONE AGREES WITH YOU!

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:58 AM   #346
mary
Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Is it possible for me to both applaud and condemn Raja's clothesline?? I'd like to take that option, if its there.

Ok, I'd like to take that back..since the clip finally finished downloading (using dial-up at work). There's no applauding that one...across the throat...you've got to be kidding me.

Bell deserves much more than a 1-day suspension for that IMO.

Old 05-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #347
sixeightmkw
Golden Member

sixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of lightsixeightmkw is a glorious beacon of light

It really seems that there have been alot more fights and shoves and dirty plays this playoffs then in years past. The Reggie Evans play, I forget who it was that just basically did a hockey check mabey the heat game on a bulls player, the continuous fights with the lakers and suns, stack getting into with the guy from memphis, Warrick acting like he is a badass shoving Dirk a couple of times. Just alot of fighting. I don't mind tough play, but this is getting out of hand.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #348
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

EDIT:

Thanks for the explanation...

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #349
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

EDIT:

That is crazy... I thought there were SEVERAL other posts... I guess my mind played tricks with me when I saw your post disappear... I didn't think we could fully delete a post.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 05-03-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:35 AM   #350
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

It was only one post... mine.

I deleted it because it was only a repeat of your edit in your post. I didn't see your edit. But yeah, I stated that apparently we all needed to check our purses.

I should have edited, not deleted it I guess.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:37 AM   #351
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate koberapist as much as the next guy, but that was an assault. I loved seeing it sure. Nobody deserves to get beaten down more. However, Bell (if not before) has officially become a dirty player. That was pretty brutal. But I enjoyed it immensely.

Bell will get suspended for at least 2 games. Why? Because the league values the rapist more than Kamans balls.

Last edited by Drbio; 05-03-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #352
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Crap like that should get you suspended... unless you do it against Kobe. Then I'm all for it!
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #353
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You guys all might think I like Kobe, but I really don't. In fact, I almost find myself hating him at times when he has that little "I am better than you" smug look on his face, (but I have more respect for him as an NBA PLAYER than 95 percent of the other guys in this league)...

With that said, this isn't about who it happened to, it is about the actions that Bell took... If Bell did this to Walton or Brown or whoever, he still should be punished dearly for it and I would still be on here just like this complaining about it. I hope he doesn't get suspended, but he should - just like Evans by the way.

It was a TERRIBLY stupid play and, while it unfortunately might be weighed into it, it shouldn't matter who he did it to.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #354
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Ah the Kobe hate!
Old 05-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #355
chumdawg
Guru

I could sit here and watch that video clip ALL DAY.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #356
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is fun to watch isn't it?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #357
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Too bad our purses we all checked are blocking your view.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #358
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #359
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Jeremiah, of course it is possible as that is what he said in the press conference pretty much verbatim.

That however does NOT make it right and he himself admitted as much. You might not be able to fault him for it, but a ton of others can. That shit has no place in basketball.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #360
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Taken from the daily dime on espn.com:

Kobe and Phil, in fact, stunned observers here by making a co-plea to commissioner Stern to spare Bell from suspension.

"We want him out there," Jackson said. "We want their full team out there to play. It's the only way to do it. You have to earn what you win."

It came across as a noble stance, especially given Jackson's well-chronicled status as a pioneer in the art of calculated quotes at the post-game dais to work the refs for the next game. If you're looking for the ulterior side of it, maybe Jackson wants to make sure the home crowd has a target. Maybe he just wants to make sure Kobe's at his edgiest. Bryant, after all, also says he's rooting against a suspension, insisting that Tuesday's escalation in his season-long tiff with Bell "actually excites me."
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote