Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 AM   #321
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Orlando would be stupid to get back assets that would make them an 8th seeder for years to come. They would be better off walking Dwight, not taking any contracts back, tanking for the draft and rebuilding from there. If I was Orlando I would laugh at the thought of receiving Tyson and Amares terrible contracts. But unfortunately their GM is the same one who signed Lewis to 6 year 119 mil, traded for Arenas, traded for Turk back and fucked up their team.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2012, 12:50 AM   #322
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
I don't even care about Deron and Howard at this point. Just get me the big man (Howard) and Nelson and Cuban could definitely fill out the roster with the remaining cap space. You might even be better off like that. Instead of D12, DWill, Dirk and a bunch of veteran minimum guys you could have D12, Dirk, and some very solid pieces to fill out the roster.
Except D12 won't agree to come here without Deron.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #323
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFTR View Post
Except D12 won't agree to come here without Deron.
I highly doubt that. Dirk just won a championship without Deron.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:59 AM   #324
MavsFTR
Golden Member

MavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud ofMavsFTR has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
I highly doubt that. Dirk just won a championship without Deron.
There's a reason why his first choice is the Nets.
MavsFTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #325
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

In Avery I trust ( to get us deron )

"New Jersey – The Nets ten point win against Charlotte set an NBA record, but not in a good way. New Jersey finished the game with a lower field goal percentage than their opponent. That was the 17th consecutive game that the Nets were outshot by the team they were playing to open the season, breaking the Clippers record of 16 straight games set back in 1994. It’s surely worth noting that the Clips went 0-16 in those games, while the Nets managed to eke out five wins despite their miserable shooting.

Some of New Jersey’s shooting woes can be blamed on Avery Johnson’s change in offensive philosophy following the injury to starting center Brook Lopez. Instead of an inside-out offense that pounds the ball into the low post, Johnson made the executive decision that the Nets would be a three point shooting team, concentrating on getting good looks from the perimeter. That’s why the Nets lead the league in shot attempts from beyond the arc, and it’s at least a good portion of the reason why New Jersey ranks #29 out of 30 NBA teams in shooting percentage overall – only Sacramento is worse. "
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #326
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, like i told allready, on word from Dwight/Deron "Fire him or we dont sign" and he is gone. But the good thing is that they arent many great coaches available.

But hey, maybe Phil Jackson is allready sick of Peyote so he gets a shot with another super star combo...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #327
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

When I was living in NY a couple seasons ago, and getting ready to buy season tickets to the Nets (full season cost less than a 10-gamer to the Knicks), I told my season ticket rep that I'd want my money back if they hired Avery Johnson. He laughed at me. Maybe now he sees why. What player could possibly want to play for that dude?
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #328
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice
Default My wish for the offseason in summer 2012

Hi, everyone. After reading in this forum for a while i now have have decided to register and join some of the discussions. I'm not allowed to create new topics of my own so I think this topic should be not the worst fit:

Deron and Dwight may want to keep Matrix and Carter on the team and accept a little paycut just like the Heat Players did with Haslem last Season. Assuming that the FO is able to trade away Odom, Beaubois, Jones and Haywood (or amnesty him) and renounce the rights to everyone but Nowitzki, Marion and Carter the Mavs cap situation would look like this I think:

01 Dirk Nowitzki 20,907,128$
02 Shawn Marion 8,396,364$
03 Vince Carter 3,135,000$
04 Empty Spot 473,604$
05 Empty Spot 473,604$
06 Empty Spot 473,604$
07 Empty Spot 473,604$
08 Empty Spot 473,604$
09 Empty Spot 473,604$
10 Empty Spot 473,604$
-------------------------------
Mavs Team Salary (/w Cap holds): 35,753,720 $
Projected Salary Cap 2012-13: about 60,000,000 $
Projected Salary Cap Room: about 24,246,280 $

1. Sign both to 12,123,140$ 4 year contracts (last year PO)
2. give MLE to the JET 5,800,000$
3. sign Kidd and/or Nash and Delonte for vet minimum
4. sign Cardinal and a backup Center
5. sign 1 or 2 vetmin guys to fill the 12 roster spots

What do you think of this vision. Is it possible after doing the math in the new CBA? Is it probable? what your wish for the next offseaon? Would love to read your comments

Last edited by Firnen; 01-24-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Firnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #329
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firnen View Post
Hi, everyone. After reading in this forum for a while i now have have decided to register and join some of the discussions. I'm not allowed to create new topics of my own so I think this topic should be not the worst fit:

Deron and Dwight may want to keep Matrix and Carter on the team and accept a little paycut just like the Heat Players did with Haslem last Season. Assuming that the FO is able to trade away Odom, Beaubois, Jones and Haywood (or amnesty him) and renounce the rights to everyone but Nowitzki, Marion and Carter the Mavs cap situation would look like this I think:

01 Dirk Nowitzki 20,907,128$
02 Shawn Marion 8,396,364$
03 Vince Carter 3,135,000$
04 Empty Spot 473,604$
05 Empty Spot 473,604$
06 Empty Spot 473,604$
07 Empty Spot 473,604$
08 Empty Spot 473,604$
09 Empty Spot 473,604$
10 Empty Spot 473,604$
-------------------------------
Mavs Team Salary (/w Cap holds): 35,753,720 $
Projected Salary Cap 2012-13: about 60,000,000 $
Projected Salary Cap Room: about 24,246,280 $

1. Sign both to 12,123,140$ 4 year contracts (last year PO)
2. give MLE to the JET 5,800,000$
3. sign Kidd and/or Nash and Delonte for vet minimum
4. sign Cardinal and a backup Center
5. sign 1 or 2 vetmin guys to fill the 12 roster spots

What do you think of this vision. Is it possible after doing the math in the new CBA? Is it probable? what your wish for the next offseaon? Would love to read your comments
1. There is no way they're signing 12Mil contracts.
2. You won't have the MLE, only the Cap Room Exception, which is 2.4 Mil for 2 seasons.

If the dream scenario somehow pans out, and you're trying to get them to take a little less money to keep some of the guys rather than renounce/trade them, those conversations are going to be about guys like Wright and Mahinmi and Roddy. There's no way that it's about Marion.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #330
Firnen

Firnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really niceFirnen is just really nice

@ jthig32

1. hmm if you are right the have to give away Matrix (shouldn't be that tough the way he's playing) and Vince so they can offer up to 17,000,000$ to both of them. but still thinking if mister "ego" signs for only 14,000,000$ a rational minded player like Deron Williams could accept 12.

2. if Jet wants to retire himself and his jersey in Dallas he might even accept the CRE
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #331
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Let me preface by saying I'm not 100% clear with all the new CBA rules, Can we sign D12 and D Will if their combine contracts go over the cap? Or is there some rule against it? I understand there are more restrictions for luxury tax paying teams like no MLE ect.

With Dirk (~21 Mill), Marion (~8.6), Roddy (~2.2), D Jones (~1.2) = 33 Million
This gives us about 13.5 Million for both D12 and Dwill. I think the players will have to get 14.5, similar to the heat contracts.

To make this all easier I think we need to jump on the Celtics woes and trade Marion, Roddy, Jones, for Ray Allen's expiring.
DTownKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #332
DTownKidd

DTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the roughDTownKidd is a jewel in the rough

Again that's a huge risk we have to make mid-season, so we will see if Cuban is going all out for this
Old 01-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #333
Firnen

@Dtownkid

you must have 12 players under guaranteed contracts. So you have to add a minimum player salary (= 0 year experience) for every missing player in your roster up to the 12th spot.

There is no need to break up this years team and tank this season you should be able to trade away those players next offseason easily
Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #334
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

If we dont trade Odom he has a 2.4M buyout for next season.

So more 2.4M in the books an against the cap...
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #335
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

JET should atleast get a 5M per offer. Freaking Jamal Crawford got that and JET >>> Jamal. If JET gets an offer double what the Mavs can offer aka if 3D happens, I suspect JET is gone.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #336
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm starting to think that 3D probably isn't going to happen... And it probably shouldn't.

The argument FOR a Dirk/Dwight/Deron combo is pretty obvious - add the best big man in the game and one of the best pass-first PGs in the league alongside Dirk, the best perimeter big man of all time. Then dominate.

But last year's Finals have already shown us that it's not so easy to dominate with 3 great players - it takes a whole team to win. No doubt that Dirk/Dwight/Deron would be better-fitting parts than LeBron/Wade/Bosh, but what about the rest of the team? How can you build a squad when ALL of your salary is tied up in only 3/5 of a starting lineup?

Looking at this team in its current state, I think it goes without saying that our PG position is the weakest while our center position is pretty damn solid. So if you had to choose between Dwight and Deron, then Deron is definitely more of a necessity right now.

That Dwight money could go a long way in retaining guys like Terry, Roddy or Mahinmi - not to mention all the other FA's on the market (including slightly cheaper bigs like Bynum or Lopez)... Otherwise you're banking on ring-chasers piling on at vet minimum for a chance to win with 3D, which hasn't turned out too well for the Heat or Knicks, so why would the Mavs be any different?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #337
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm starting to think that 3D probably isn't going to happen... And it probably shouldn't.

The argument FOR a Dirk/Dwight/Deron combo is pretty obvious - add the best big man in the game and one of the best pass-first PGs in the league alongside Dirk, the best perimeter big man of all time. Then dominate.

But last year's Finals have already shown us that it's not so easy to dominate with 3 great players - it takes a whole team to win. No doubt that Dirk/Dwight/Deron would be better-fitting parts than LeBron/Wade/Bosh, but what about the rest of the team? How can you build a squad when ALL of your salary is tied up in only 3/5 of a starting lineup?

Looking at this team in its current state, I think it goes without saying that our PG position is the weakest while our center position is pretty damn solid. So if you had to choose between Dwight and Deron, then Deron is definitely more of a necessity right now.

That Dwight money could go a long way in retaining guys like Terry, Roddy or Mahinmi - not to mention all the other FA's on the market (including slightly cheaper bigs like Bynum or Lopez)... Otherwise you're banking on ring-chasers piling on at vet minimum for a chance to win with 3D, which hasn't turned out too well for the Heat or Knicks, so why would the Mavs be any different?
I'll respectfully disagree. I hear what you're saying as the 2-star recipe has been successful (most recently the 90s/00s Lakers). That said, three-stars have been successful and probably more so (Spurs, Bulls). I also have a lot more faith in the Mavs ability to plug in minimum vet guys than their contemporaries - be it cap knowledge or stat skills, they just do a better job of spotting them. Mavs will also retain their draft picks so they can restock their roster in a way that the Knicks, Heat and Nets can't.

Just from the existing roster, I think there are a number of guys who the Mavs would have atleast a 50% chance of getting to take minimum deals or would be kept for 3D.

Deron/Kidd
West/Roddy
VC
Dirk/BC/Yi
Dwight/Wright

As for Dwight vs Deron, Dwight is the 2nd best player in the league, who can be the best over stretches. It would be like the Heat deciding to pair Bosh and Wade and deciding to use LeBron money elsewhere. As an asset and foundation, I'd take Dwight before Deron (and aging Dirk).

Lastly, 3D's greatest beauty is that it is a win now move but also a long-term bet. Dirk is going on 34 in 5 months. Look at how Ryan freaking Anderson is doing next to Dwight. Imagine Dirk and then an All-NBA PG. Deron and Dwight will allow Dirk to be a successful second/third banana until he's pushing 40.

Last edited by rabbitproof; 01-24-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #338
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I sometimes have the same doubts, but it's the way Deron, Dirk and Dwight would fit that I find really tantalizing. They make so much more sense as a trio than the Miami threesome. And you'd have the two hardest-to-fill roles covered (true point guard and dominant two-way low post player). I'd wager Dallas would have an easier time finding a SG and SF to fill out the starting lineup than Miami has so far had finding a quality point guard and center.

And I don't count the Knicks with the Heat. They've only got two stars, and both are selfish, one-dimensional players who are no more valuable than Chris Bosh.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #339
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

Sorry if this ventures into trade thread territory but any thoughts about Jamison and his 15 million expiring as a target?

LO and Wood would fit salary-wise. Obviously, more talent is going out than in but it's possibly a better fit (the team can use easy buckets) and also provides lots more cap flexibility (removes Wood's long deal + Odom's guaranteed 2.4M). Might need to include a young prospect (Yi or Wright or DoJo) or a pick.

Cavs come out with 2 legit starters + prospect to pair with Irving/Varejao/Thompson.

I would also only feel a little bad about jettisoning LO to Cleveland.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #340
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

we've got a solid center for years, I think, in Mahinmi. He keeps getting better. Deron is the most important pickup, Kidd will be 40 next year.
Deron/kidd
Roddy/jet
Marion/who knows
Dirk/Wright/Yi
Mahinmi/Yi/Wright

Pretty good darn lineup that lots of people would like to join, i think
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #341
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Based on this season I'd rather have Howard than Deron tbh. But Cuban said this years data can't be trusted and he certainly has a point.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #342
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

id rather have McGee and Dwill and possibly Eric Gordon
Dwill/roddy
Eric Gordon/west
Marion? possibly amnesty
Dirk/Wright
Mcgee/Mahimi

and then what happens with JET,KIDD(retirement?) and backup SF
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #343
Firnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Sorry if this ventures into trade thread territory but any thoughts about Jamison and his 15 million expiring as a target?

LO and Wood would fit salary-wise. Obviously, more talent is going out than in but it's possibly a better fit (the team can use easy buckets) and also provides lots more cap flexibility (removes Wood's long deal + Odom's guaranteed 2.4M). Might need to include a young prospect (Yi or Wright or DoJo) or a pick.

Cavs come out with 2 legit starters + prospect to pair with Irving/Varejao/Thompson.

I would also only feel a little bad about jettisoning LO to Cleveland.
could be really a good thing for both teams. We only need Haywood in the PO if we would face the Lakers or the Magic. If LAL sits at a solid lottery spot near the trade deathline or the mavs are sure the dont meet them in the PO
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 PM   #344
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

You never know if Mahinmi will be another Diop though. I'd rather have Howard
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #345
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
I sometimes have the same doubts, but it's the way Deron, Dirk and Dwight would fit that I find really tantalizing. They make so much more sense as a trio than the Miami threesome. And you'd have the two hardest-to-fill roles covered (true point guard and dominant two-way low post player). I'd wager Dallas would have an easier time finding a SG and SF to fill out the starting lineup than Miami has so far had finding a quality point guard and center.

And I don't count the Knicks with the Heat. They've only got two stars, and both are selfish, one-dimensional players who are no more valuable than Chris Bosh.
I think Miami in a sense can get by with just a spot up shooting point guard. LBJ and Wade can both initiate the offense with the PG straddling the 3 point stripe. You'd hope the PG is one that can defend all PG's, giving Wade and James a blow on the defensive end, or allow them to free lance. Seems the SG and SF position are the easiest to fill, look at Miami, getting Mike Miller signed up, then adding Shane Battier this season. With the 3D you're probably looking at a top notch defender who can spot up and probably a slasher at the other wing.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #346
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post

I also think Dirk's play this season on a gimpy knee should remind everyone that while he's still awesome, he might not be that far away from taking a significant step backwards. We've all thought that Dirk would age gracefully, and he still might, but knee issues on 7 footers is no joke.

There's a very real argument to be made that adding Deron Williams to the majority of this current roster is the better move for next season. But what about the three seasons after that if Dirk starts dealing with significant knee issues?

The move for the next four years is to go after both, no matter what that means to the rest of the roster.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 01-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #347
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I've been thinking a little more about this in a vacuum...

The cap is $58mil, Dirk is making $21mil next season, which leaves $37mil (**assuming that all contracts are dumped**)... I believe the minimum amount of players required to make up a roster is 13, which means you'd need another $5mil to fill out the last 10 roster spots at $500k each... That leaves $32mil for Dwight and Deron.

Deron is making a little over $16mil and Dwight is making about $18mil this season. Would they be happy with ~$16mil/year each? Can they do better than that with another competitor? What's a max deal in this league under the new CBA?

I guess one option to free up some team-building cap space is if Deron and Dwight back-loaded their contracts for when Dirk's deal expires, then the Mavs can re-sign him to less money over the last 2 years... For example:

Dwight: 12/12/20/20
Deron: 12/12/20/20
Dirk: 21/23/10/10

Total: 45/47/50/50

The numbers above are ridiculously generalized, but they do illustrate a way to free up enough cap space over the next 4 years to keep a competitive team around Dirk/Dwight/Deron, if we chose to go in that direction... I guess it's doable, but it sure as hell would be tricky.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #348
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

The cap is $58mil, Dirk is making $21mil next season, which leaves $37mil (**assuming that all contracts are dumped**)... I believe the minimum amount of players required to make up a roster is 13, which means you'd need another $5mil to fill out the last 10 roster spots at $500k each... That leaves $32mil for Dwight and Deron.

Deron is making a little over $16mil and Dwight is making about $18mil this season. Would they be happy with ~$16mil/year each? Can they do better than that with another competitor? What's a max deal in this league under the new CBA?

I guess one option to free up some team-building cap space is if Deron and Dwight back-loaded their contracts for when Dirk's deal expires, then re-sign him to less money over the last 2 years... For example:

Dwight: 12/12/20/20
Deron: 12/12/20/20
Dirk: 21/23/10/10

Total: 45/47/50/50

The numbers above are ridiculously generalized, but they do illustrate a way to free up enough cap space over the next 4 years to keep a competitive team around Dirk/Dwight/Deron, if we chose to go in that direction... I guess it's doable, but it sure as hell would be tricky.
DLord says the current estimate for next year's cap is actually a little over 61Mil.

He also says max contracts for Howard and Deron are 19Mil and 17Mil, respectively.

As to your scenario, you can't front load contracts like that. Raises from year to year are capped at a relatively low percentage (7.5% for Bird, 4.5% for non-Bird).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-24-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #349
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
DLord says the current estimate for next year's cap is actually a little over 61Mil.

He also says max contracts for Howard and Deron are 19Mil and 17Mil, respectively.

As to your scenario, you can't front load contracts like that. Raises from year to year are capped at a relatively low percentage (7.5% for Bird, 4.5% for non-Bird).
Yeah, my numbers were exaggerated to make a point, but still, I thought the raises were a lot bigger than 4.5%. My strategy would definitely help relieve some cap space, but it wouldn't be nearly as effective in facilitating the coexistence of 3 max players as I had thought...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #350
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know, really. Looking at the numbers both D12 and Deron would have to take a cut (which isn't unlikely since Dirk, and Miamis all did that, around ~15M-20M each over 5 yrs?), but how are you supposed to build around that? Look at the MPG of the Big3 in Miami or even Knicks. I don't think Dirk can give you 38-40 a night and you might think he has to without being able to sign anybody above the minimum.

You guys have studied the topic for a while know. What's your take on that?
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #351
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I also think Dirk's play this season on a gimpy knee should remind everyone that while he's still awesome, he might not be that far away from taking a significant step backwards. We've all thought that Dirk would age gracefully, and he still might, but knee issues on 7 footers is no joke.

There's a very real argument to be made that adding Deron Williams to the majority of this current roster is the better move for next season. But what about the three seasons after that if Dirk starts dealing with significant knee issues?

The move for the next four years is to go after both, no matter what that means to the rest of the roster.
I remember talking about Dirks possible knee issues lingering on thru the rest of his career last year when he injured it and people scoffed. I'm nowhere near 7ft and it hindered my abilities quite a bit. He has looked sluggish and slightly hobbled all season. The way he moves looks rough, if you have ever sustained a bad knee injury it's hard to imagine getting back to what you were. Maybe you can fight thru the pain for a while but it eventually catches up to you. I'd hate to see him decline before his time because of an injury of any kind.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #352
Firnen

it should be a possibility that they opt out after 3 years to put their annual raise up to 7.5%...

Howard will really save tons of money if he has to pay no state tax. ( He has endorsment deal about 15,000,000$ i think playing in a major market on a real contender should boost this a lot)

Last edited by Firnen; 01-24-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #353
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think you just do it and hope that you can find some pieces to fill it in.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #354
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I don't know, really. Looking at the numbers both D12 and Deron would have to take a cut (which isn't unlikely since Dirk, and Miamis all did that, around ~15M-20M each over 5 yrs?), but how are you supposed to build around that? Look at the MPG of the Big3 in Miami or even Knicks. I don't think Dirk can give you 38-40 a night and you might think he has to without being able to sign anybody above the minimum.

You guys have studied the topic for a while know. What's your take on that?
This season alone they've signed Delonte and Wright to vet minimum deals. Those are players that you could easily see helping in a rotation. You could also argue that Vince could potentially have been talked into the Cap Room exception.

If they really have to renounce every single contract before signing them, it will be difficult that first year. But if they work it out so that they can keep Wright and Roddy, maybe Mahinmi...well now you're getting somewhere. I'm not 100% sure on the numbers, but I think you could keep those three on the books for only about 2.5-3Mil less cap space than what would be available without them there.

So you keep those three, then you have the cap exception that will almost certainly net you a very productive rotation player. And let's not forget Nick Calathes, maybe he brings you back something of value, or comes over and contributes himself.

After that, you fill out roughly 7 spots with vet minimum guys, which is 1 more than the Mavs have on their roster right now.

Then the following season you have the mini-MLE and more trade opportunities start to open up as you start to build assets.

I think it's doable.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 01-24-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #355
Firnen

i think Roddy will make 2.2 Million and wright has a TO for about 0.8...that would be your 3 million.
Ian should have some suitors at the end of the season (think he ll get 3-6 millions depending on how he develops till June)
Old 01-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #356
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firnen View Post
i think Roddy will make 2.2 Million and wright has a TO for about 0.8...that would be your 3 million.
Ian should have some suitors at the end of the season (think he ll get 3-6 millions depending on how he develops till June)
But without them on the roster the open roster slots cost ~800K, so it's actually only 2.2 Mil less cap room. Plus whatever Ian's cap hold costs, which is the one I'm not sure about.

We also have early bird rights on Ian, so if we can keep his cap hold in place while we sign the free agents, we could then give him a ~5Mil contract.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #357
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Any chance at all that DWill is no longer a MAX player? I doubt it, but he's been really off this year.

From ESPN's 5-on-5 on the season's most dissapointing player:

"Deron Williams. His team's general awfulness has mostly overshadowed it, but Williams' play has not been near his norm. It seemed that Williams would have the jump on the rest of the league, coming back across the pond in game shape, but so far, it's questionable whether he will command franchise-player money in this summer's free-agent market."

"Deron Williams. Offensively, Williams is posting career lows in field goal percentage, true shooting percentage and assist rate. He's committing turnovers like an old ABA player, and defensively he's still not a factor. It's time to stop giving Williams a free pass. Yes, his teammates are bad, but he's not helping the way a "superstar" should."
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #358
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
This season alone they've signed Delonte and Wright to vet minimum deals. Those are players that you could easily see helping in a rotation. You could also argue that Vince could potentially have been talked into the Cap Room exception.

If they really have to renounce every single contract before signing them, it will be difficult that first year. But if they work it out so that they can keep Wright and Roddy, maybe Mahinmi...well now you're getting somewhere. I'm not 100% sure on the numbers, but I think you could keep those three on the books for only about 2.5-3Mil less cap space than what would be available without them there.

So you keep those three, then you have the cap exception that will almost certainly net you a very productive rotation player. And let's not forget Nick Calathes, maybe he brings you back something of value, or comes over and contributes himself.

After that, you fill out roughly 7 spots with vet minimum guys, which is 1 more than the Mavs have on their roster right now.

Then the following season you have the mini-MLE and more trade opportunities start to open up as you start to build assets.

I think it's doable.
Yea, it's the 7 guys you get, not the first 7 that walks through your door. I had a hard time understanding why the Heat would give the remaining cap money to Mike Miller on a long term deal. You have point guard and center open, why not go spend that money on those positions. I mean it's nice to have that back up wing, but it could have been spent in a better way. Now if LBJ had the intention of becoming a PG, then it makes absolute sense to sign up Miller, but LBJ did not want to be the PG at all. So with James Jones already on the roster, they add Miller. I think the Mavs will face similar issues, but need to spend the allottment much wiser than the Heat. Maybe it's just easier to score wings in this league, if the Mavs do get the 3 D, they should be able to get bargain basement deals on great wings.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #359
Firnen

Quote:
But without them on the roster the open roster slots cost ~800K, so it's actually only 2.2 Mil less cap room. Plus whatever Ian's cap hold costs, which is the one I'm not sure about.

We also have early bird rights on Ian, so if we can keep his cap hold in place while we sign the free agents, we could then give him a ~5Mil contract.
I think Ian was signed as FA to a 2 year contract -> early bird -> 175% increase of the last salary or average salary [5.15 Million for 2011/12]

Last edited by Firnen; 01-24-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #360
DTownKidd

Quote:

Its actually a minimum of 12 (sorry to nit-pick). But in order to have the MINIMUM minimum contract they have to have 0 years in the league.
http://www.nba.com/news/cba_minimumsalary_050804.html

Most of the NBA rookie contracts have team options after 2 or 3 years, so unless we are getting the scrubbiest of scrubs, we are looking at closer to 7 or 9 million. Again not being an @ss but I think every dollar counts here.

Also keep in mind that if we want to sign draft picks those rookies are not eligible for the minimum. http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

In the end we can't fill our team with a bunch of undrafted rookies is my point haha

Tags
awesome to think of, colonystateofmind, death knells, delusional1234, deroff, git'erdonecubes, i have a dream, markus123no, michael reddish?, my ass bleeds for tyson, never happen dumbazz, oilfieldva-jay-jay, sard's sources outta @ss, shark tank for dwight, tank for dwight