Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-19-2007, 02:31 AM   #321
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ames7
Anything happen of note that doesn't show up on the box score? Tragically I won't be getting television OR radio for the rest of the preseason... Sounds like I missed a beat down.
The first team offense seamed to pretty much moved the ball at will in the first half. Nick Folk hit a 52 yard field goal with 30 seconds left in the first half. Anthony Spencer looked good.

This seems like one of the bigger yawner offseasons in a while. No real stories to report, no huge position battles. That's a good thing, I think.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #322
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

I like the joey thomas kid at the corner he looks like he has a nose for the ball
Old 08-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #323
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
I like the joey thomas kid at the corner he looks like he has a nose for the ball
so did Derek Ross--I miss that guy. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes during Parcell's era.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #324
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
so did Derek Ross--I miss that guy. IMO, one of the biggest mistakes during Parcell's era.
People still believe this?

He's been out of the league since 2004. He showed promise early but ultimately he didn't have the maturity to stick in the NFL.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #325
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
You missed the first teamers administer a whipping that the hapless Broncos will not soon forget. In the second half, you missed Tyson Thompson demonstrate speed and athleticism nonpareil, and Isaiah Stanback score his first (of what will surely be hundreds of) touchdowns in a Cowboys uniform.

But other than that, pretty much just another Cowboys win.
You know what I thought as I watched Stanback make the effortless over the shoulder catch in the endzone? We haven't had a playmaker wear that number 86 since the GREAT Butch Johnson left in 83'. Since that time it's been soiled by the likes of Eric Bjournsen and Mike Luckey. Looks like it could be in good hands again.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #326
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
You know what I thought as I watched Stanback make the effortless over the shoulder catch in the endzone? We haven't had a playmaker wear that number 86 since the GREAT Butch Johnson left in 83'. Since that time it's been soiled by the likes of Eric Bjournsen and Mike Luckey. Looks like it could be in good hands again.
True, true. Stanback did look awfully smooth on that play. I'll tell you what I was thinking when I saw him on the sideline after that brilliant play. I was thinking "That dude has HUGE guns hanging from his shoulders!"
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #327
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
The same Mike Lucky that Mickey Spagnola said accounted for 10-15% of the Cowboys offense at one point?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #328
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

tyson thompson gives me the same headache that JJ does in the fack that he has great abilty to run through a open hole and turn it into 10 to 15 yards in the blink of a eye, but he seems to lack vision and cutback ability, like julius if there is not a obvious lane he just plows into the line for 1/2 a yard.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #329
snoop

and i think derek ross is still in jail
Old 08-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #330
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the game last night. I sat in the corner of the endzone, and sat 8th row (which is actually second row from the field). It was nice seeing three touchdowns on my end =] Too bad I didn't get a TO fade to my corner =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:49 AM   #331
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i miss d.ross's knack for the ball sigh

Contact Me
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 AM   #332
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
i miss d.ross's knack for the ball sigh
You have til February 3rd, 2008 to catch one =O

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 08-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #333
snoop

was anyone else surprised by brad johnson's mobility in the pocket, I did not see that coming
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM   #334
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoop
was anyone else surprised by brad johnson's mobility in the pocket, I did not see that coming
not really. he was actually considered extremely athletic/mobile in his younger(vikings) days. he reminds me a bit of brunell in that respect(though he was never the runner brunell was). Hes older and the wheels arent consistently there but hes got more than you would think.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #335
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

i'm going way out on a limb and saying that I don't think the cowboys are going to absolutely suck this year.

i haven't been this jacked for a season in quite some time.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #336
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

in a backup role Johnson will be great. but his endurance (much like Bledsoes) would simply run out if he were forced to play 10 straight games. go go romo
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #337
snoop

hatcher is going to return to practice soon I want to see what he can do I was really impressed with him in his limited role last year, he might be able to give canty or spears a push for a job next year
Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #338
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

This first half tonight makes my ass want to take a dip of snuff. This is unacceptable!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:08 PM   #339
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Is the "wearing white jerseys at home against the Boys so as to force them into their unlucky blue uniforms" trend growing? The NFC East teams will do it, of course, but it seems like new teams, such as the Panthers and now the Texans, are wearing white when they can against us.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 PM   #340
chumdawg
Guru

This is the worst Romo has played in a Cowboys uni. Pitiful.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #341
dirno2000
Diamond Member

I don't think Romo played bad. Especially when you consider he had no running game.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:00 PM   #342
chumdawg
Guru

Are you kidding me? His throws were way off the mark, and it appeared that the offense was unsettled a lot of the time. It was CRAP.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 AM   #343
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Relax.

The first two pre-season games meant NOTHING.

This one also means nothing.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 AM   #344
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Are you kidding me? His throws were way off the mark, and it appeared that the offense was unsettled a lot of the time. It was CRAP.
Yep, he majorly underthrew a pass to TO that got picked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI
HOUSTON (AP) - Late in the third quarter against Houston's backups, Romo badly underthrew Owens and was picked off by rookie Fred Bennett . It was Romo's last play of the night and he finished 14-of-22 for 197 yards.

Matt Schaub and the Houston Texans became the first team to score a touchdown against the Dallas Cowboys ' starters this preseason on Saturday night.

They didn't stop at just one.

Go Texans, woot, woot. Another good showing to make me feel almost as good as I did back in 1910

Last edited by And1; 08-26-2007 at 02:20 AM.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #345
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Julies Jones = most over-rated RB ever!
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:28 AM   #346
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Actually, he just sucks.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:03 AM   #347
dirno2000
Diamond Member

There were probably a couple of throws that Romo would like to have back but at the end of the day he completed 64% of his passes and connected on a couple of 3rd and longs. With no running game to speak of I'd call that a pretty good night.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #348
alby
Guru

Pretty good game. no worries. we still need more pressure on the opposing QBs

Contact Me
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #349
ty
Diamond Member

Pretty good game.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #350
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

buffalo bills fan BEFORE the cowboys creamed them 52 - 17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwCiQ...F%3Fstart%3D10

haha suckers!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #351
ty
Diamond Member

LOL, I love the Cowboys.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #352
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
buffalo bills fan BEFORE the cowboys creamed them 52 - 17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwCiQ...F%3Fstart%3D10

haha suckers!

Yup...

BILLS = Boy I Love Losing Superbowls!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #353
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

rumor is that there will be some kind of trades coming down before next sunday...or maybe free agent signings. rumor started by Jerry Jones himself.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:14 AM   #354
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

hopefully it involves julius jones for a young wide receiver and/or defensive back
Old 09-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #355
alby
Guru

poor julius

Contact Me
Old 09-01-2007, 06:47 PM   #356
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Cowboys have their 53.

Aaron Glenn was one of the cuts. He's been terrible this preseason, but I still find that surprising.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #357
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei
hopefully it involves julius jones for a young wide receiver and/or defensive back
is there any fire here?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #358
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Cowboys have their 53.

Aaron Glenn was one of the cuts. He's been terrible this preseason, but I still find that surprising.
did anyone else notice that Barber was listed ahead of JJ? Its not alphabetical either....interesting.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 09-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #359
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
is there any fire here?
I doubt it. There aren't enough good CB's to go around and most teams treat all but the most elite backs as disposable.

I'd rather have Julius in a contract year than the type of corner I think he'll bring in return.

Last edited by dirno2000; 09-01-2007 at 07:38 PM.
dirno2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #360
sike
The Preacha

from dallascowboys.com on the running back spot "While Julius Jones has been the starter, Marion Barber has been impressive to the point where it should be a consideration to mix up the lineup"

dang I would love this so much. when one back makes twice as many plays on a consistent basis...that should NOT be ignored

dirno, what do you think about this possibility?

Last edited by sike; 09-01-2007 at 07:40 PM.