Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #321
joemoeschmoe

joemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to alljoemoeschmoe is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFFDHT View Post
Which size do you mean? His shoes?
nba.com Height: 6-11 / 2,11 for both.
If you're talking about his weight (nba.com: Weight: 240 lbs. / 108,9 kg. ) you could be right, but somewhere there was a read that he gained a lot of weight (muscles) - so I'm not sure this is still correct.

Side note: after all us german guys on this board, prepare for some polish and probably even french users here...starts to look like a Euroleague Team
Damp is listed as 265 on espn. Although, I'd guess he's actually bigger than that.
joemoeschmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #322
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the signing. We had to upgrade the center position, and I don't see that there was a better option available. Consider this:

With the Clippers somehow able to move Randolph (I'm already giving them GM of the year), I doubt they're looking to move Camby or Kaman anymore. Having three talented big men in the front court--especially when two of them are injury-prone--I can't see why they'd be looking to get rid of one.

Chandler is another option who MIGHT have been available--and while I like his game and would not have been upset to see him here, he's been very injury-prone (let's not forget, OKC vetoed the trade for him this past season after he failed a physical), and some of his offensive game may have been more a product of CP's drive & dish ability than his own particular skillset. Also not sure what it would have cost to get him.

Gortat is what, nine years younger than Damp, and half the price? For those who don't believe Gortat is better than Damp, think of it this way--Damp averaged 23 MPG last year--that's right, less than half the game. The other half, we had a combo of out of position (Dirk), undersized (Bass) or very raw (Hollins) players at C. There are worse things we could have than 24 minutes each of Damp & Gortat.

Also consider that, regardless of what happens with Damp in the next 6 months, it is almost certain that he will NOT be on this team for the 2010 season, so getting his eventual successor on the roster now--and at a relative bargain for big men in this league--is a solid move.

The only real complaint I can see is, what is the opportunity cost of our having signed Gortat? The MLE, and what other players we could have gotten for it. I don't really see a starting 2 out there available for the MLE, which is our primary need this offseason. Artest & Ariza would both have been nice parts to add, though both play a position where we are already solid (SF), and both had other suitors, so there's no guarantee we could have had either anyway. Turkoglu & Marion are both likely to get more than the MLE, so we're not in the race there anyway. What does that leave? Felton, maybe? Don't forget, we still have the Stack chip to play there, essentially giving us two MLE-level slots, albeit requiring that we find a willing trade partner.

In all this, I am assuming two things: first, we do re-sign Kidd, so we don't have an immediate need at PG; and second, that we are able to turn the Stack chip into a starting SG. If both those things happen, then we've essentially kept our entire lineup intact, and upgraded our two weakest positions--a solid offseason by any measure.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #323
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
I really like the signing. We had to upgrade the center position, and I don't see that there was a better option available. Consider this:

With the Clippers somehow able to move Randolph (I'm already giving them GM of the year), I doubt they're looking to move Camby or Kaman anymore. Having three talented big men in the front court--especially when two of them are injury-prone--I can't see why they'd be looking to get rid of one.

Chandler is another option who MIGHT have been available--and while I like his game and would not have been upset to see him here, he's been very injury-prone (let's not forget, OKC vetoed the trade for him this past season after he failed a physical), and some of his offensive game may have been more a product of CP's drive & dish ability than his own particular skillset. Also not sure what it would have cost to get him.

Gortat is what, nine years younger than Damp, and half the price? For those who don't believe Gortat is better than Damp, think of it this way--Damp averaged 23 MPG last year--that's right, less than half the game. The other half, we had a combo of out of position (Dirk), undersized (Bass) or very raw (Hollins) players at C. There are worse things we could have than 24 minutes each of Damp & Gortat.

Also consider that, regardless of what happens with Damp in the next 6 months, it is almost certain that he will NOT be on this team for the 2010 season, so getting his eventual successor on the roster now--and at a relative bargain for big men in this league--is a solid move.

The only real complaint I can see is, what is the opportunity cost of our having signed Gortat? The MLE, and what other players we could have gotten for it. I don't really see a starting 2 out there available for the MLE, which is our primary need this offseason. Artest & Ariza would both have been nice parts to add, though both play a position where we are already solid (SF), and both had other suitors, so there's no guarantee we could have had either anyway. Turkoglu & Marion are both likely to get more than the MLE, so we're not in the race there anyway. What does that leave? Felton, maybe? Don't forget, we still have the Stack chip to play there, essentially giving us two MLE-level slots, albeit requiring that we find a willing trade partner.

In all this, I am assuming two things: first, we do re-sign Kidd, so we don't have an immediate need at PG; and second, that we are able to turn the Stack chip into a starting SG. If both those things happen, then we've essentially kept our entire lineup intact, and upgraded our two weakest positions--a solid offseason by any measure.
great post, bob

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #324
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Very well said, boba!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #325
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Right on bobatun!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #326
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Always have to like this.

Quote:
Are there any *other* tall players the Rockets can pursue now?

It looks like Marcin Gortat has rejected the over-the-top wooing efforts of Daryl Morey. Translation? It appears that the only legit center on the free agent market has spurned the Rockets' advances to sign with the Dallas Mavericks. Yes, Mark Cuban somehow out-bid Daryl Morey. Damn him.

So, uhhhh, are there any tall or even tall-ish players available that the Rockets can sign? Let's face facts - Yao Ming ain't walking through that door until at the earliest March of 2010, so we need someone to man the center position. There isn't a Dikembe option this year. Of the remaining options......... Brian Cook refuses to step inside the three-point line. Scola and Hayes will battle you, but they simply are not true centers and are undersized at the "4" position to begin with. Joey Dorsey would probably do anything (other than giving up strippers cold turkey) to get on the court, but he's not an NBA center.
That doesn't provide the Rockets with much good news. Shit.
Damn you, Mark Cuban!!

Last edited by dude1394; 07-04-2009 at 11:27 PM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #327
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With the Clippers somehow able to move Randolph (I'm already giving them GM of the year), I doubt they're looking to move Camby or Kaman anymore. .
"Other teams did better in securing the players we need, so the crap our brain trust does is excusable" is a poor basis for rationalization.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 AM   #328
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #329
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post

We could ship em Damp !
Old 07-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #330
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
We could ship em Damp !
Send em Damp for Battier+filler, or Damp,Stack for Battier +

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #331
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Send em Damp for Battier+filler, or Damp,Stack for Battier +
Damp for Battier? That doesn't seem like the best use of the Damp contract.

though I do like Shane's effect on the floor.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #332
FiZth

FiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of lightFiZth is a glorious beacon of light

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban used his Twitter page to deny reports that the team is pursuing Glenn Davis.

"Contrary to reports, the Mavs are not pursuing Glenn Davis. Great player, but we like our guys," Cuban wrote on Sunday morning.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...ursuing_davis/

---

I don't like this one:
"...but we like our guys".

Why didn't he said "we have other plans" or "Glenn Davis is not a player we are looking for". When they really plan to keep Damp, Hollins + sign only Gortat, then I am going to start firedonnienelson.com.
FiZth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #333
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post
Mavericks owner Mark Cuban used his Twitter page to deny reports that the team is pursuing Glenn Davis.

"Contrary to reports, the Mavs are not pursuing Glenn Davis. Great player, but we like our guys," Cuban wrote on Sunday morning.

If we wanted Big Baby, we could have just drafted him instead of Nick Fazekas...

Old 07-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #334
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn Davis? What reports??

Roddick and Federer going to the fifth set!
Old 07-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #335
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Glenn Davis? What reports??
Coming outta Boston

Old 07-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #336
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I cant think of a thing out of boston worth listening to. Not even the band Boston (from Ohio)
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #337
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin View Post
"Other teams did better in securing the players we need, so the crap our brain trust does is excusable" is a poor basis for rationalization.
Are you implying that we "need" Zach Randolph? That is ludicrous.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #338
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Were missing out on other black players who play tough and have an attitudes like Spartan warriors. Our team is truly doomed.

Glen "Big (cry) Baby" Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXgFC8q32Q

Randolph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13PK...eature=related
Randolph vs Cavs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2fn01cngg&feature=fvsr
Randolph vs Raptors stifling defense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHho...eature=related
Amazing putback vs the Knicks

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 07-05-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #339
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiZth View Post

---

I don't like this one:
"...but we like our guys".

Why didn't he said "we have other plans" or "Glenn Davis is not a player we are looking for". When they really plan to keep Damp, Hollins + sign only Gortat, then I am going to start firedonnienelson.com.
Given the subject of the rumor (Davis), the "we like our guys" comment could be interpreted as a reference to Bass (and perhaps Singleton, as well). Under those circumstances, I'm inclined to agree with him.

And actually, even if he's referencing Damp, I'm inclined to agree with him there too, as I'd much rather have Damp at center than Davis (goes without saying that Gortat likewise ranks as a higher priority).

Last edited by grndmstr_c; 07-05-2009 at 12:29 PM.
grndmstr_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #340
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Were missing out on other black players who play tough and have an attitudes like Spartan warriors. Our team is truly doomed.

Glen "Big (cry) Baby" Davis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GXgFC8q32Q

Randolph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A13PK...eature=related
Randolph vs Cavs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2fn01cngg&feature=fvsr
Randolph vs Raptors stifling defense
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFHho...eature=related
Amazing putback vs the Knicks
Randolph vs Cavs is beyond hilarious. Perfectly done!
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #341
pokwaPL

pokwaPL is on a distinguished road

Everybody in Poland love to see Gortat in Mavs!!! Go Polish Hammer! Greetings from Poland guys
pokwaPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #342
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

3 more days until we can even sign him, and 10 days till we know if he's ours. This offseason has way too much potential but is very trying on ones patience.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 AM   #343
Mavsfan2thedeath

Mavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to all

Quote:

excellent post. also, take a look at each's career stats per 36 minutes via www.basketball-reference.com :

Dampier: 11.3 pts, 10.6 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks

Gortat: 11.2 pts, 13 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks

on the surface, this looks like pretty much a lateral move at center, except for the fact that Gortat is still fairly raw, 24 years old, and has alot more room to grow. Dampier, on the other hand has maxed out his ability and is in all honesty on the decline (although he was solid last season). so i consider this an excellent move that will be even better if we're able to package stack and damp to get a quality starting 2 guard (if there is one to be had).
Mavsfan2thedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:28 AM   #344
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Oh come on. Eschmeyer put out plenty of solid games when he was given playing time. It's not so much a comparison as a warning that low minute players don't always carry the same level of production into larger playing time.

That's certainly not a lack of basketball knowledge to remember that.
I think you can count Esch's "solid" games in a Mavs uni on one hand. Couldn't comment on the one starting season he had w/ NJ when the Nets were HORRIBLE.

I'm not sold on Gortat but my lord, was there ever a bigger embarrassment to basketball than Evan Eschmeyer?

In 2000-2001 he led the league in some proprietary, pre-Hollinger player efficiency stat that Cuban was all hyped about. I always saw that signing as a knee jerk to the Sonics' Calvin Booth deal, and the first and last time Cuban used that particular stat to evaluate a player. Even then I had this image of Nellie picking up an extra 12-pack on the way home the night after Cuban proudly pranced in and announced that his statistician had found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow named Evan Eschmeyer.

So yeah, to compare anyone to Evan Eschmeyer, outside of Antoine Rigaudeau, is going to be met with some harsh opposition.

And I'll guarantee you Esch had no more than 5 solid games as a Mav. Solid being 20 minutes played or more with at least 8 points OR 8 rebounds. I'm going totally on memory but I'm 99% sure I'm right.

Back on that deal where the Sonics signed Calvin Booth away for 6 years @ the MLE, I see that as a precursor to the Jerome James deal, which might be a precursor to the Gortat deal.. each putting in a career-defining performance down the stretch, each going a little further in the playoffs than the previous... each getting a fully loaded MLE deal, only to be a giant bust thereafter.

The success rate for fully loaded MLEs since the 1999 lockout is probably less than 10%.

I am super skeptical of Gortat, as a result.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:31 AM   #345
chumdawg
Guru

You have a wildly mistaken view of cause and effect.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #346
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I only vaguely remember the Boothe summer but to my recollection there wasn't a bidding war. I think it was just Seattle saying "we've got to have this guy". I do remember the Jerome James summer and Isiah was the only one on him.

So while there are some similarities it's comforting that smart guys like Daryl Morey and John Hollinger think a lot of Gortat. I believe the Spurs had him on their list too. This is not a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a lot of respected basketball minds think this guy could be good.

The other thing that separates him from Booth and James is the fact that he's been consistently good, although in limited minutes, for two years straight. His buzz picked up in the Philly series but he wasn't a factor in the finals. This is not a case of a player turning it on for two weeks for a contract, he's produced every time he's been on the floor.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM   #347
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
So while there are some similarities it's comforting that smart guys like Daryl Morey and John Hollinger think a lot of Gortat. I believe the Spurs had him on their list too. This is not a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a lot of respected basketball minds think this guy could be good.

The other thing that separates him from Booth and James is the fact that he's been consistently good, although in limited minutes, for two years straight. His buzz picked up in the Philly series but he wasn't a factor in the finals. This is not a case of a player turning it on for two weeks for a contract, he's produced every time he's been on the floor.
great...Great stuff.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #348
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
I think you can count Esch's "solid" games in a Mavs uni on one hand. Couldn't comment on the one starting season he had w/ NJ when the Nets were HORRIBLE.

I'm not sold on Gortat but my lord, was there ever a bigger embarrassment to basketball than Evan Eschmeyer?

In 2000-2001 he led the league in some proprietary, pre-Hollinger player efficiency stat that Cuban was all hyped about. I always saw that signing as a knee jerk to the Sonics' Calvin Booth deal, and the first and last time Cuban used that particular stat to evaluate a player. Even then I had this image of Nellie picking up an extra 12-pack on the way home the night after Cuban proudly pranced in and announced that his statistician had found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow named Evan Eschmeyer.

So yeah, to compare anyone to Evan Eschmeyer, outside of Antoine Rigaudeau, is going to be met with some harsh opposition.

And I'll guarantee you Esch had no more than 5 solid games as a Mav. Solid being 20 minutes played or more with at least 8 points OR 8 rebounds. I'm going totally on memory but I'm 99% sure I'm right.

Back on that deal where the Sonics signed Calvin Booth away for 6 years @ the MLE, I see that as a precursor to the Jerome James deal, which might be a precursor to the Gortat deal.. each putting in a career-defining performance down the stretch, each going a little further in the playoffs than the previous... each getting a fully loaded MLE deal, only to be a giant bust thereafter.

The success rate for fully loaded MLEs since the 1999 lockout is probably less than 10%.

So you disagree with the comparison, but agree with my caution and even take it a step further by being "super skeptical"....

Ok.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #349
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

I just wanted to welcome all the new members from Poland.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #350
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
So you disagree with the comparison, but agree with my caution and even take it a step further by being "super skeptical"....

Ok.
Bingo. I just couldn't resist an opportunity to rag on Eschmeyer's cro-magnon head and Cuban's cro-magnon scouting technique that brought him in.

On the "give a young center a max-year MLE" boat, at that. It's been flame-out after flame-out since I've been paying attention to the NBA offseason.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:08 PM   #351
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
If we wanted Big Baby, we could have just drafted him instead of Nick Fazekas...

best. post. ever.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #352
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Its good to see folks starting to like Gortat, I couldn't understand all the hate around his signing. He is legit, and will prove all of his doubters wrong. That is all.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #353
sike
The Preacha

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSMF View Post
Its good to see folks starting to like Gortat, I couldn't understand all the hate around his signing. He is legit, and will prove all of his doubters wrong. That is all.
I'm sure even the "haters" hope you're right.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #354
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Who were the doubters?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #355
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post

EE > PP

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #356
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericksFan12 View Post
reported this a few days ago. Check it out, these guys are on top of their game in the sports world.
Please ban this spammer

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2009 at 07:34 AM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #357
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I like this Gortat guy already:

Quote:
"I just think that Dallas was a better fit for me," Gortat said. "They have Jason Kidd, and he's a great point guard. They've got Dirk Nowitzki, who is the best power forward in the league.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2009 at 07:35 AM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #358
sike
The Preacha

who doesn't like that! ^^^

great to hear this kid wants to play with his betters...

Last edited by sike; 07-07-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 AM   #359
Maringa
Golden Member

Maringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to allMaringa is a name known to all

So when is the do or die date on Gortat? How long do we have to keep waiting before Orlando decides to match?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #360
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

They have a week.

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?