Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #321
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 08:09 AM   #322
NBAfan1996

NBAfan1996 has a spectacular aura aboutNBAfan1996 has a spectacular aura about

I don’t think he will but if he opts out
With cap

sign Dragic in the summer?

KP
Barnes
Hardaway
Luka
Dragic

That team on offense could be one of the best in the league.
Defensively is where I’d worry. Trading Barnes for a more defensive big who can shoot the three pointer could make sense.

Last edited by NBAfan1996; 02-03-2019 at 08:12 AM.
NBAfan1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:18 AM   #323
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Wait, is that sarcasm?

Only way I could be happier is if we also dumped Barnes and Powell.
Don't understand all the Barnes hate I see here. He's been everything the Mavs hoped he would be when they acquired him.

Powell is seeing reduced minutes this year, but he's fine at what he does. Is everyone think we need a more defensive minded backup? Ok. But that doesn't mean Powell is crap.

Plus...blowing it all up might be good for long term...but next year would be all about getting the pieces to gel again. It takes time to build team chemistry.

Last edited by BigDog63; 02-03-2019 at 09:48 AM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:30 AM   #324
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Zhi Zhi View Post
OK, so what is NY's play with this? Just getting something before KP bolts this summer as a FA? Not sold KP will recover from the injury?
They get lots of cap space, enough to sign 2 max contract players. TWO being the key, I think...because why would ONE want to join this team?

Quote:
And is KP a complete unrestricted FA this summer, and do we get any early-Bird rights or anything like that? Trying to figure out why we just wait until the summer to go after him
He is a RFA this summer, I believe.

Why wait, when we can unload 2 contracts we wanted to unload? And weren't likely to resign DJ. Jordan has been a great rebounder, and fine with lobs on offense...but I got the impression Mavs were looking for more.

I AM concerned about the rebounding gap this trade leaves Mavs in...and not sure a Barnes replacement fixes that (without taking too much scoring away). What great rebounding/defensive/3 shooting PF is everyone thinking they can get?

On the other hand, I strongly believe rebounding is more want to/coaching than anything else. If you can play in the NBA, you can rebound the basketball, especially on defense. So maybe simple coaching is the real fix here.

This is one thing Don Nelson used to say that just drove me crazy: "we don't have good rebounders". BS. You didn't COACH good rebounding. If everyone blocks out effectively, how do you not get most defensive rebounds? Does it take a tremendous amount of physical ability to block out? No, it does not. It just takes want to and coaching.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #325
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan1996 View Post
With cap

KP
Barnes
Hardaway
Luka
Dragic

That team on offense could be one of the best in the league.
Defensively is where I’d worry. Trading Barnes for a more defensive big who can shoot the three pointer could make sense.
We'd also get absolutely murdered on the boards as well with that lineup.

I think the Mavs should concentrate on acquiring a rebounding/defensive Center or PF that fits with KP. With KP's injury history I'd like to have some insurance there as well.

I'm glad we got THJ before the end of the season because we'll have a chance to see if he is a good fit and starting material going forward. If not we can procure another wing in the off-season. We should be in decent shape on the wings depending on what Barnes decides. If he opts in we should be focusing primarily on a big imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-03-2019 at 12:58 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #326
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Don't understand all the Barnes hate I see here. He's been everything the Mavs hoped he would be when they acquired him.
He did what we wanted when we got him, but he provides nothing of what we need now.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #327
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Luka and Barnes don't work together at all.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #328
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Last edited by turin; 02-03-2019 at 02:01 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #329
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post

Powell is seeing reduced minutes this year, but he's fine at what he does. Is everyone think we need a more defensive minded backup? Ok. But that doesn't mean Powell is crap.

Plus...blowing it all up might be good for long term...but next year would be all about getting the pieces to gel again. It takes time to build team chemistry.
Barnes is an offensive black hole. He is Mr. ISO who fearlessly drives into 3+ defenders in the paint without a second thought to passing out. As for Powell, he's an overexhuberant empty stats guy who is a poor finisher and poor defender. Yes, he can finish lobs, but he needs to be able to do so much more than that, especially at his ridiculous salary. Oh yeah, he also spends about 20% of his time picking himself up off the court. :-O
Old 02-03-2019, 02:45 PM   #330
Jayme96

Jayme96 will become famous soon enoughJayme96 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Welp Dallas just gained a ton of fans (and bandwagon fans)
I'm definitely going to start watching Dallas now. Porzingis has been my favorite player in the NBA for quite a while now, and I really like Doncic as well, so why not? If something appeals to you, go for it.

I think this trade is a slam dunk for the Mavs, assuming Porzingis comes back from injury 100%. I would think that being able to train with and learn from Dirk, and play with Doncic, along with what you'd assume is a lotto pick, #11 right now, could easily be #5 or #6 if they tank more, they could easily put something good enough around him to make him want to stay.
Jayme96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #331
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme96 View Post
I'm definitely going to start watching Dallas now. Porzingis has been my favorite player in the NBA for quite a while now, and I really like Doncic as well, so why not? If something appeals to you, go for it.

I think this trade is a slam dunk for the Mavs, assuming Porzingis comes back from injury 100%. I would think that being able to train with and learn from Dirk, and play with Doncic, along with what you'd assume is a lotto pick, #11 right now, could easily be #5 or #6 if they tank more, they could easily put something good enough around him to make him want to stay.
Dallas traded this year's pick as part of the package for Doncic -- we only keep it if we end up in the #1-5 range, so we're gonna need a lot of help from the lottery balls falling just right... But we do have some cap space and a few tradable assets, so there are still ways to get better.

Welcome to the board, hopefully Luka/KP entertain for years!

Old 02-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #332
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan1996 View Post
With cap

How would Dragic not have the same issues with Doncic as DSJ did? Luka is the PG...so what position would Dragic play?

What the Mavs need is a player who can defend the opposing teams PG, and hit 3s. That is not Dragic.

The Mavs need to construct a roster with a variety of wing players, and a couple of those need to be good defenders. A young Shawn Marion type would be perfect. Or a Bruce Bowen.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #333
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Dragic doesnt fit the timeline or the need. Im fine for the vet minimum, but i prefer to sign other guys with the cap space /exceptions.

We are pretty much out of assets to attach to expiring contracts in a trade, so the FA signings will be incredible important.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #334
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Dragic doesnt fit the timeline or the need. Im fine for the vet minimum, but i prefer to sign other guys with the cap space /exceptions.

We are pretty much out of assets to attach to expiring contracts in a trade, so the FA signings will be incredible important.
Yeah, I wonder what we can get with that $12.9m trade exception? Pretty sure it can't be packaged into a trade either -- doesn't it have to be straight-up for a player?

Last edited by Underdog; 02-03-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #335
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, I wonder what we can get with that $12.9m trade exception? Pretty sure it can't be packaged into a trade either -- doesn't it have to be straight-up for a player?
Yes, you cant attach the exception to another player salary to make it work for a higher paid dude. You can just trade an incoming player into the exception (salary has to fit in, but dont know if its maximum 12.9 or the 125% 12.9m stuff)

Last edited by sefant77; 02-03-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #336
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Yes, you cant attach the exception to another player salary to make it work for a higher paid dude. You can just trade an incoming player into the exception (salary has to fit in, but dont know if its maximum 12.9 or the 125% 12.9m stuff)
Interesting... That certainly opens up some possibilities.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-03-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:09 PM   #337
Jayme96

Jayme96 will become famous soon enoughJayme96 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Dallas traded this year's pick as part of the package for Doncic -- we only keep it if we end up in the #1-5 range, so we're gonna need a lot of help from the lottery balls falling just right... But we do have some cap space and a few tradable assets, so there are still ways to get better.

Welcome to the board, hopefully Luka/KP entertain for years!
Thanks. I saw that it was top 5 protected, and that's not inconceivable for that pick to get to #5 even without luck in the lotto, and anything in the lotto has a chance. I'm curious what the future picks are that are in this deal. If this year's pick isn't traded, they keep having the option to it with various protections until '22 when it's unprotected I believe? The NBA likes to complicate these trades with so many contingencies.

I'm hoping so too. I lost interest in the NBA for a long time thanks mainly to LeBron's little pacts taking the competitiveness out of the league (I'm still steamed the Mavs got screwed by the refs in the Finals against the Heat), but the NFL's recent antics made me start watching more NBA and less NFL the last couple years. Problem is? The Bulls (my team from when I was a kid, as they were the closest thing to a local team we had prior to the Timberwolves existence, and my uncle knows the owner so he hooked us up with great seats to go see Jordan play back when I was in high school) are barely watchable if LaVine and Markkanen aren't playing. I'd like to watch a couple up and coming young teams develop, just as I did the Bulls in the 80s before they got rolling in the 90s. That could have been the Wolves if they wouldn't have made that dumb trade for Butler. I think that Doncic and Porzingis make this a very intriguing team to watch for the long haul. If the dominoes fall right (getting caps pace to land a FA this year, and/or getting a high draft pick, albeit in what appears to me to be a very weak draft), they could really be onto something. 2 superstars age 19 and 23 = a great start if they can keep them & avoid doing what the Thunder did.
Jayme96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:18 AM   #338
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe what trash organization the Knicks are. They even excluded media from official conference calls that were unwilling to adopt their narrative of KP being the bad guy? Then this whole bullshit graphic on their in-house TV channel to smear him: https://twitter.com/SBondyNYDN/statu...38559438536709

I sincerely hope KD, Kyrie, and whatever other big free agents will take a hard look at this mess and then go "fuck you".
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #339
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Okay, we have our super stars, now it's time to build around them. We don't need any soft ass centers/players around them. We need tough SOBs, defensive terrors that can shoot the 3 around them. Go out and get that, and you're looking at a Championship contender. We don't need any more go to scorers on the floor, you crowd out your guys when you do that.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:46 AM   #340
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mavs in their Knicks debut.

DJ had a decent game.

Wes came out and showed the Knicks what we already knew.

DSJ was super meh

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #341
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
DSJ was super meh
Was a typical game for him, wasn't it? Knicks will probably go through the same mix of praise and frustration like us. He had that one great play where he sliced through the paint and then dished to Knox for a wide open three, but otherwise really basic passes to shooters and not much true "playmaking". Plus the usual misses at the rim, trying to do too much, etc.

Based on what I'm reading everyone taking the "glass half full"-approach, but you know the MSG can get impatient rather fast. Oh and Wes won't stay on the Knicks I assume. Either traded or bought out.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #342
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Was a typical game for him, wasn't it? Knicks will probably go through the same mix of praise and frustration like us. He had that one great play where he sliced through the paint and then dished to Knox for a wide open three, but otherwise really basic passes to shooters and not much true "playmaking". Plus the usual misses at the rim, trying to do too much, etc.

Based on what I'm reading everyone taking the "glass half full"-approach, but you know the MSG can get impatient rather fast. Oh and Wes won't stay on the Knicks I assume. Either traded or bought out.
It was basically a typical game for him. I expect him to have a slight uptick in his numbers if he is allowed to run the show. He has a lot to learn yet and still functions at a low level of seeing the floor and anticipating. Hopefully he and Knox can grow together and be successful.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #343
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:

DJ had a decent game.

DSJ was super meh
Yeah, I watched just out of curiosity. On Wes' first possession as a Knick, he was on the right side of the basket beyond the 3 pt line, put the ball on the floor, dribbled into 3 defenders and lost the ball. LOL He then bricked his first 4 shots. I laughed and quit watching after that. I am so glad he's gone. Now time to get rid of Barnes and Powell. T-minus 3 days and counting (also praying).
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM   #344
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Yeah, I watched just out of curiosity. On Wes' first possession as a Knick, he was on the right side of the basket beyond the 3 pt line, put the ball on the floor, dribbled into 3 defenders and lost the ball. LOL He then bricked his first 4 shots. I laughed and quit watching after that. I am so glad he's gone. Now time to get rid of Barnes and Powell. T-minus 3 days and counting (also praying).
Some highlights. But the comments below them are a fun read. Ahhh Optimism.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...s-knicks-debut

John Schmeelk

@Schmeelk
Getting to watch Dennis Smith Jr. and not having to watch Tim Hardaway Jr the rest of the year will make the last couple months much more enjoyable.

12:17 PM - Feb 3, 2019 · Nutley, NJ
69 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Steve Popper

@StevePopper
We're 53 seconds in and we've got a Dennis Smith Jr. reverse layup and a blocked shot by DeAndre Jordan. The Knicks are going to be picking 15th in the draft after finishing 40-42.

12:12 PM - Feb 3, 2019
24 people are talking about this

still a frank ntilikina fan account

@kaelinphoebe
who cares about the actual super bowl when you can watch dennis smith jr. start after practicing exactly zero minutes with his new teammates. cheers nice one

11:39 AM - Feb 3, 2019
See still a frank ntilikina fan account's other Tweets

Ben Lyons

@iamBenLyons
Watching @DeAndre dunk on @JoakimNoah made me believe in the positive energy of the universe again. There is hope...#Knicks2020

1:48 PM - Feb 3, 2019
See Ben Lyons's other Tweets

SAFDIE

@JOSH_BENNY
In a few years, Deandre Jordan might be an all time “Once a Knick, always a Knick.”

12:41 PM - Feb 3, 2019
See SAFDIE's other Tweets

Kazeem Famuyide

@RealLifeKaz
I know I’m not the only one waiting for the “who you got?” From DeAndre Jordan when he shoots free throws

12:16 PM - Feb 3, 2019
See Kazeem Famuyide's other Tweets

c b c 🍓

@chelseybcoombs
Someone buy me a Deandre Jordan jersey

12:16 PM - Feb 3, 2019
See c b c 🍓's other Tweets

Joseph Flynn

@ChinaJoeFlynn
Wesley Matthews looks terrible, unless you are an opposing GM reading this, in which case he looks great!

12:52 PM - Feb 3, 2019

Old 02-04-2019, 11:03 AM   #345
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

DJ had a decent game.

DSJ was super meh
League Pass was super sketchy with me and renewed my one-team pass with a pass for all games. My new past time is going to be to watch the Knicks.

Jordan was incredibly awful defensively. Had rebounds and had a few lobs inside. Nothing surprising.

Matthews tried to do too much. Still lost his man on defense. Went 0-5 on threes and then made one. Got so cocky he shot a three when the Knicks were making a run with 2minutes left and completely missed. Drained all the momentum.

Smith was just lost. Lots of blown layups. The Knicks were so surprised every time "ohhhh just a little too much English on that one" or "so close. Just rolled off the rim". That's pretty standard for him. He also had a lot of "assists" where the receiving player took more than three steps and he still got the assist. He didn't make a single play where he disrupted the defense and passed it out to an open guy. All his assists were passing it around the arc.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #346
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
League Pass was super sketchy with me and renewed my one-team pass with a pass for all games. My new past time is going to be to watch the Knicks.

Jordan was incredibly awful defensively. Had rebounds and had a few lobs inside. Nothing surprising.

Matthews tried to do too much. Still lost his man on defense. Went 0-5 on threes and then made one. Got so cocky he shot a three when the Knicks were making a run with 2minutes left and completely missed. Drained all the momentum.

Smith was just lost. Lots of blown layups. The Knicks were so surprised every time "ohhhh just a little too much English on that one" or "so close. Just rolled off the rim". That's pretty standard for him. He also had a lot of "assists" where the receiving player took more than three steps and he still got the assist. He didn't make a single play where he disrupted the defense and passed it out to an open guy. All his assists were passing it around the arc.
I thought he had 2 assists that he worked the PnR well and cut a pass out to open 3, One to Vonleh and One to Knox. But he these guys aren't going to change their stripes just because they changed jerseys.

The only one who has a chance is DSJ who has plenty of room and time to grow.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #347
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

I'm sorry but it still just doesn't seem real. We got Porzingis??? Really??? I really love it when non-basketball people ask who he is and then I get to go into a lengthy explanation. So much fun!

I've had a Luka-smile on my face all weekend long.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #348
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

They were speculating on 105.3 radio that there might have been some meniscus damage as well in his knee, but I haven't heard any confirmation of it. I was just taking the top of my jeep and the radio was on. Didn't catch it all.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #349
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
They were speculating on 105.3 radio that there might have been some meniscus damage as well in his knee, but I haven't heard any confirmation of it. I was just taking the top of my jeep and the radio was on. Didn't catch it all.
That would be new and perhaps even reason to invalidate the trade.

Quote:
The Knicks have indicated no meniscus damage discovered during surgery – which ... is a big relief.

-NYPost
They couldn't determine if there was any meniscus damage until they went in, but they went in a year ago and at least the Knicks openly said there was no meniscus damage. If they lied to the press and lied to the Mavs, then that would be a major scandal.

Jabari Parker has had two ACL injuries, and one with significant meniscus damage. The one that was just ACL was 11months or so. The one with the meniscus took more than a year (16-17months) to fully heal. Lots of guys coming back from that as good as new, but meniscus damage would put his return off a lot more.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-04-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #350
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they said the press conference is at 1:30 today. KP is at practice today as well. Sounds like 105.3 plans to cover the conference (you can listen on the radio.com app if you’re not local).
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #351
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That would be new and perhaps even reason to invalidate the trade.

They couldn't determine if there was any meniscus damage until they went in, but they went in a year ago and at least the Knicks openly said there was no meniscus damage. If they lied to the press and lied to the Mavs, then that would be a major scandal.

Jabari Parker has had two ACL injuries, and one with significant meniscus damage. The one that was just ACL was 11months or so. The one with the meniscus took more than a year (16-17months) to fully heal. Lots of guys coming back from that as good as new, but meniscus damage would put his return off a lot more.
If Casey Smith signed off on the trade then I trust his opinion. He would absolutely do what’s best for the player first and the team second. If Casey says he can play he will.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #352
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It was Mike Basik so severe grain of salt. Haven't seen or heard anything else with regards to the injury.

Although I guess it doesn't matter much since he isn't playing this season anyway.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #353
Underdog

@treykerby: Kristaps Porzingis should have to get all of Dirk Nowitzki's haircuts at various times during his Mavericks career.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #354
BPo001
Diamond Member

Few pics/vids of the new guys at practice.
https://1053thefan.radio.com/article...-practice-gear
Old 02-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #355
Underdog

Old 02-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #356
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...2F%3FPage%3D36

Old 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #357
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Saw another video where Holger was in the house... I wonder who he's working with today? (other than Dirk, of course)

Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #358
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Saw another video where Holger was in the house... I wonder who he's working with today? (other than Dirk, of course)
I think Kleber really needs the reps. Man, if he can get his shot going, then I'm perfectly happy starting him next to Taps.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #359
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Another angry New Yorker:

https://youtu.be/V_ufD31Ztlc

Lestat_1795 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #360
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat_1795 View Post
Another angry New Yorker:

https://youtu.be/V_ufD31Ztlc

Garbage character resulting in a garbage video