Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #41
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
But am I nuts for thinking that Damp is still a far superior center to diop? Better scoring and rebounder clearly...not as good a shot blocker, but better at clogging the lane.
No, I don't think ur nutts. But I personally would rather start Diop myself because it seems that's when we got the most of Damp. When he had something to prove, and came off the bench more agressive.
Diop has better hands I think and With Kidd, I am eager to see someone NOT fumble away 30% of the handoffs and passes down low!
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 10:57 AM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Damp sets killer screens too. He really fails against thin, quick "pogo" rebounders. Damp is a really underrated post defender. There arent many post players in the league but he absolutely shuts down his man.

Diop isnt a great screen setter but he actively looks for the ball inside on offense. He's an average on-the-ball defender but thrives when leaving his man to help the weak side. He's also the best defender we have against "tweeners" like Duncan who are not pure centers and is an excellent defender in traffic against thin, athletic forwards/centers.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 08-05-2008 at 10:59 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #43
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Damp sets killer screens too. He really fails against thin, quick "pogo" rebounders. Damp is a really underrated post defender. There arent many post players in the league but he absolutely shuts down his man.

Diop isnt a great screen setter but he actively looks for the ball inside on offense. He's an average on-the-ball defender but thrives when leaving his man to help the weak side. He's also the best defender we have against "tweeners" like Duncan who are not pure centers and is an excellent defender in traffic against thin, athletic forwards/centers.
I agree with your assessment, EL. I still prefer Damp getting most of my center minutes with Diop filling in a healthy portion of the time.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:15 AM   #44
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Bass is not quick enough to play small forward, IMO. Can you go big against some teams and keep him on the floor - sure, but if they go small, or they have an elite swingman, it is a foul waiting to happen. Bass is a backup 4 and the inside 4 when Dirk is really moved to the 5. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt you see any great length of time with Bass, Dirk, and Damp/Diop on the floor at the same time -- although there are a few teams, I think it would work great against (NO, and LA for example).

Diop and Damp are both good solid players, but neither are spectacular. Both could stand an upgrade, but both have a role -- and maybe Dallas can get by if they produce in their role. I am expecting Diop to start though, just because of the way Carlisle used Big Ben when he was at Detroit (that agile shot blocker that trys to block from the off side). Damp is more of an on the ball defender where Diop is more of an off the ball one, IMO. Both have a place, but neither is greatly offensively gifted.
<edit> got caught up taking so long EL did a better job than I explaining the Damp/Diop issues <end edit>

Right now, I am expecting Kidd, Terry, Howard, Dirk, Diop to start with Bass, Stack, and Damp as the 6-8 and Wright and Greene getting a little time. JJB will get a little burn, but not much. Everything else will be situational, IMO.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 08-05-2008 at 11:18 AM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #45
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Bass is not quick enough to play small forward, IMO. Can you go big against some teams and keep him on the floor - sure, but if they go small, or they have an elite swingman, it is a foul waiting to happen. Bass is a backup 4 and the inside 4 when Dirk is really moved to the 5. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt you see any great length of time with Bass, Dirk, and Damp/Diop on the floor at the same time -- although there are a few teams, I think it would work great against (NO, and LA for example).

Diop and Damp are both good solid players, but neither are spectacular. Both could stand an upgrade, but both have a role -- and maybe Dallas can get by if they produce in their role. I am expecting Diop to start though, just because of the way Carlisle used Big Ben when he was at Detroit (that agile shot blocker that trys to block from the off side). Damp is more of an on the ball defender where Diop is more of an off the ball one, IMO. Both have a place, but neither is greatly offensively gifted.
<edit> got caught up taking so long EL did a better job than I explaining the Damp/Diop issues <end edit>

Right now, I am expecting Kidd, Terry, Howard, Dirk, Diop to start with Bass, Stack, and Damp as the 6-8 and Wright and Greene getting a little time. JJB will get a little burn, but not much. Everything else will be situational, IMO.

Well, he's only 6'8'' 240. The same build as LeBron. I think you're underestimating Bass' quickness quite a bit. He is out of place at the C more than he is at the SF. He can't hit the 3, well with his improvement nothing would surprise me really, he is a great shooter. It wouldn't blow my mind if he were able to eventually extend his range as Najera has done.

Im not saying to start the proposed lineup, just explore it and see if we can utilize what we have here. Do you or anyone else agree that Bass doesn't see enough mins behind Dirk alone? As far as foul trouble goes, the opposing SF is in just as much trouble as Bass is on the other end with the size mismatch! Besides how many times has Bass fouled out, is it really that big of a problem?
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #46
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I think Bass has to move to SF if we don't make anymore moves.

Why not at least try it?

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #47
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Whoa I must've been asleep. When did the Raptors get Jermaine O'Neal? Raptors potentially can be the 2nd best team in the East if healthy. Does this mean they gave up on Bargnani or just attempting to get depth at the 4 and the 5?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:12 PM   #48
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Whoa I must've been asleep. When did the Raptors get Jermaine O'Neal? Raptors potentially can be the 2nd best team in the East if healthy. Does this mean they gave up on Bargnani or just attempting to get depth at the 4 and the 5?
depth -- TJ Ford deal.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote