Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-05-2004, 10:11 PM   #1
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default Barry Bonds about to join Hank and the Babe....

What a great game he had tonight....

HOUSTON -- Barry Bonds hit his 659th home run Monday night, putting him just one behind his godfather, Willie Mays, for third place on the career list. The San Francisco Giants slugger smacked a first-pitch fastball from Houston Astros starter Roy Oswalt just over the right-field wall in the eighth inning. The three-run shot tied the score at 4.

The Giants went on to win 5-4 when Cody Ransom scored on a J.T. Snow sacrifice fly to right. Bonds, dogged by questions about steroids all spring, had two doubles and a walk in his previous three plate appearances. Once Bonds, 39, passes Mays, only Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755) will lie ahead on the hallowed homer list.

Bonds, whose father, Bobby, died last year, had Mays with him throughout spring training for moral support. When Bonds hits No. 661, Mays will present his godson with the diamond-augmented Olympic torch he carried for the 1996 Olympics.

It's not the first milestone Bonds has reached in Houston. In 2001, he hit his 70th homer of the season at Minute Maid Park, tying Mark McGwire's record. Bonds hit three more after leaving town, setting the single-season mark of 73.

--- Maybe he's been doing steroids, maybe he hasn't ....but he's got great bat speed and a lot of longevity.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 PM   #2
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Barry Bonds about to join Hank and the Babe....

Yeah, but Hank and the Babe did it without the steroids....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Astounding that a guy that averaged 36-40 homeruns a year in his prime can all of a sudden start hitting 60+ with regularity in his late 30's when most people start declining. It couldn't have been just the water.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:44 PM   #4
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"Maybe he's been doing steroids, maybe he hasn't "???? Maybe he hasnt????hahahahah...ya whatever...
Old 04-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #5
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE: Barry Bonds about to join Hank and the Babe....

I don't care if he was on or not on steroids because he is just head and shoulders the most dominant force in baseball right now. He is more dominant than Shaq is in basketball. Props to this guy.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:40 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Steroids have nothing to do with hitting the ball....only the distance. Barry Bonds is one of the greatest players in mlb history at putting the wood on the ball. Give him props for that anyways. I hate Bonds with a passion, but prove he did steroids and prove that he wouldn't have been able to knock the shit out of the ball anyways.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
How do you know that?
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
Originally posted by: MavsFanatik33
How do you know that?
Are you implying that the Hank took some juice too or that Bonds isn't on steroids?

MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:26 PM   #9
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Are you implying that the Hank took some juice too or that Bonds isn't on steroids?
No. It's just that people don't know if players of the past did or didn't take steroids, and people don't know if or if not Bonds is taking them. Bonds did admit to taking Creatine, a supplement that is used to build muscle mass.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

"I don't care if he was on or not on steroids because he is just head and shoulders the most dominant force in baseball right now. He is more dominant than Shaq is in basketball. Props to this guy. " This comment blows me away..it really does... I dont even know where to begin...lets see...was he head and shoulders better when he was 50 pounds lighter?? NO- he was an all star- but not hitting 70 home runs..

Ben Johnson was head and shoulders FASTER than anyone in the world- what happened to him? Hmmm..he was stripped of his gold medal and record. Its a damn double standard and its sick. Thats the problem here...too many are like mavsfanforever and looking the other way, as long as he is "head and shoulders above" anyone else who cares...well, for the integrity of the game- I CARE...records are made to be broken- the natural way..not the drug way...

Old 04-07-2004, 11:22 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Bonds' ability to not miss opportunities is just unbelievable. He'll gladly go to an 0-2 count if the 2 strikes aren't thrown in an area in which he's comfortable driving the ball. There's really no other power hitter in the game that can do this. His ability to wait for his pitch without compromising his ability to get hits and to drive the ball is absolutely amazing.

Sure, it is possible that he's doing or has done steroids. However, he is heads and shoulders a better hitter over the past few years than he has ever been at any other point throughout his career with or without the home runs.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:46 PM   #12
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
"I don't care if he was on or not on steroids because he is just head and shoulders the most dominant force in baseball right now. He is more dominant than Shaq is in basketball. Props to this guy. " This comment blows me away..it really does... I dont even know where to begin...lets see...was he head and shoulders better when he was 50 pounds lighter?? NO- he was an all star- but not hitting 70 home runs..

Ben Johnson was head and shoulders FASTER than anyone in the world- what happened to him? Hmmm..he was stripped of his gold medal and record. Its a damn double standard and its sick. Thats the problem here...too many are like mavsfanforever and looking the other way, as long as he is "head and shoulders above" anyone else who cares...well, for the integrity of the game- I CARE...records are made to be broken- the natural way..not the drug way...

When ben Johnson was striiped of his gold he was the only one in that had the advantage of steroids and thus Carl Lewis was the one who got the medal. We are talking about Baseball where none of us have any no.s in terms of percentage of players who take steroids. Infact Bqonds may be competing with fellow players who are themselves on steroids. What percentage I am not sure but we do know that it is atleast 5%.

Secondly, how many people have the talent to hit 70 home runs. BTW, steroid testing was not even a part of the MLB agenda until this season. Ben johnson very well knew the substance he took was banned and he was representing his country. There is a huge difference in the comparision you presented between Ben and Barry. No double standards here.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #13
reeds
Golden Member

I am not comparing players taking steroids TODAY with BONDS..I am talking about AARON and RUTH and MAYS...there is no doubt those three never took them.....the point is, if BONDS ends up #1, was he the best HR hitter ever???MANY will say NO- he was not natural...myself included

And I NEVER said Bonds wasnt talented- that would be stupid..he is one of the best ever....its just a shame the numbers are tainted....anyone who beleives they are not is very very ...well....lets just say they are looking the other way or they dont want to beleive the obvious
Old 04-17-2004, 10:28 PM   #14
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

Does anyone doubt Bonds was on the juice? If we all agree he was juiced then the record is TAINTED, because we cannot be sure of what he would have done had he remained clean.

Bonds is a petty, sorry individual. I don't care what a person does as an athlete, you are either a good human or you are not. I don't think he has to help children every day or anything, but he could do with treating people with some respect once in a while. But what can we expect from someone who doesn't respect himself?

Lift some more weights Barry, just know that when you are getting your awards and people are smiling at you, they are all thinking about all the drugs you did and how they effected your performance.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:04 PM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nash13
Quote:
No. It's just that people don't know if players of the past did or didn't take steroids, and people don't know if or if not Bonds is taking them. Bonds did admit to taking Creatine, a supplement that is used to build muscle mass.
Umm Steroids are in use since the the mid 60´s. And that stuff was alot worse then what is being used today (worse with the meaning not as effective).

So Aaron could have used them later in his career, Ruth sure couldn´t.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #16
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

He's just done it again in the 4th inning.............667 is now in the books.

That's the seventh straight game Bonds has hit a homer in I believe.

If he keeps this up, he'll reach and pass Babe Ruth before this season ends.

He only needs 57 more homers to reach that mark.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:48 PM   #17
reeds
Golden Member

Funny- Henry Aaron has already said he wont chase Barry around the country if his record is about to be broken? WHAT?? Are you kidding me? The man has flown in planes his whole life- its nothing for him to follow Barry around waiting for the record to fall...its OBVIOUS what Hank is saying- he is just too classy to come right out and say it..he DOESNT agree with how BARRY is breaking the record, and he wants NO part of it...he is just too classy to say so...

Hank=CLASS
Bonds...NOT CLASS...period