Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-23-2004, 01:38 AM   #1
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default Eli Manning

Is it bothering anyone else that he is refusing to go to the Chargers if drafted? I think it's pretty damn ridiculous myself. It didn't really stain the career of John Elway, but if Manning isn't great, this stigma could hang over him.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2004, 06:59 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Eli Manning

I really don't believe that he'll refuse to go to San Diego. I'm shocked that this behind the scenes story was leaked. From what Mickey Spagnola said, it was probably leaked by the NFL office.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:09 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Chris Mortenson said it was leaked by the Chargers GM A.J. Smith. I'm thinking to make Archis Manning look like an ass.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Chargers leaked it so they have an excuse not to take Manning.

I'd take him anyway. F' em.

You know, his contract would only be for 4 or 5 years. After that he can go play for whoever he wants. He just wants the best of both worlds. He wants to be the first pick and get the money and prestige that goes with it but he doesn't want to play for a bad organization. Unlike when his dad played, he can freely leave after a few years. Hell, in 5 years he can sign a minimum wage deal with the Giants and be happy and spend his most productive years there but he doesn't want to do that.

Screw Steve Francis. Screw John Elway. Screw JD Drew. It isn't as if poor working schlubs aren't transferred to Minnisota on a regular basis. For some reason the scenario that comes to mind for me is Chris Webber trying to get out of Sacremento a few years ago and complaining that the CBA prevented a team from offering more money than Sacremento-he wanted out but he wanted the money to so he bitched about it and settled for the money.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Eli Manning

yes, i'm definitely bothered by it. i'm bothered by all the holdouts dooby mentioned (especially francis). the point of having the #1 pick is to help your team get better (after all, the team sucked, so that's why they have the #1 pick). eli could help take that team to prominence (along with LT). all archie sees is a potential career like his... playing well with the hapless saints.

plus, San Diego is GORGEOUS. who wouldn't want to play there?

i say pick him anyway. if he refuses to go up to the podium (as its rumored), that'll brand him as a whiner for life.

i agree with dooby as to the reason the chargers leaked it. they have made QB/draft blunders in the past: leaf, trading the vick pick... this way, they can avoid risking a #1 on a QB, and say they had a good reason for it.

but... if they don't trade the #1 to someone wanting to take manning, or if they take someone else with the #1, that leaves manning for the Raiders, who I'm sure the chargers don't want to help out.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #6
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Crazy- I am actually agreeing with the majority..I really think it sucks- and If I were SanDiego, Id draft him anyway..the NFL is much different than it was when Archie played..teams do not stay bad for long- its much more balanced..its not like the Chargers are in that bad a shape anyway..they have a stud RB and with Manning that team would be heading in the right direction...who knows how good they could be in a few years..It really sux players can mess it all up by playing the Elway card....

and your right on- sandiego may be the most beautiful city in this whole country!! what an ass
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Ah, the memories of Kiki V come flooding back !!
Old 04-23-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
dallas_esq
Golden Member

dallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the roughdallas_esq is a jewel in the rough

"Whateva! I do what I want!"- Eli Manning
Old 04-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It's difficult to have sympathy for someone like Eli Manning in this situation. But, I also believe that this is probably more his father's doing than his own.

However, that doesn't excuse what has transpired.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

where was archie when peyton got drafted by the colts? the colts sucked at the time, and peyton helped to bring them up to where they are now. we didn't hear any complaining then.
Old 04-24-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Just some thoughts. Their is talk that Coughlin will start Eli Manning over Coughlin. This year's 3rd and next year's one and five. Wow, a good pickup by the Chargers. Especially if the Chargers had rivers rated just as high as eli.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Great deal for the Chargers. They planned on getting Phillip Rivers anyway and they get a 1st, 3rd, and 5th rounder for free. I'm a bit suprised by some of these picks. I see alot of teams just building on a position they are already fine at like the Cardinals. They have Johnson and Boldin and drafted Fitzgerald. I guess if you are going for the best player available that's a route you can't fail at however you can't tell me Sean Taylor isn't beter suited for the Cardinals. Redskins are having the best offseason by far.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #13
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

I think that the Chargers got Rivers, a 1st and a 5th next year.....what a rape job by the Charger's GM....who happens to be a rookie. Nice job, rookie !
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 PM   #14
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
I think that the Chargers got Rivers, a 1st and a 5th next year.....what a rape job by the Charger's GM....who happens to be a rookie. Nice job, rookie !
They also got a 3rd rounder this year. The plan for the Chargers were for them to trade down and grab more picks because they need more than 1 position to build on. They did it. If Eli ends up being a pretty good qb in this league the fans or critics can't blame the Chargers for trading him away because the guy didn't want to play for them. It couldn't have happened any better for the Chargers.

1996-2005
Old 04-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #15
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

The teams in front of the Cowboys have no need for a running back. Unless a team attempts to move up Stephen Jackson could call to the Cowboys.

1996-2005
Old 04-24-2004, 02:14 PM   #16
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I hated to see Andrews go to Philly...I was hoping he would drop.