Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 04-23-2004, 10:14 AM   #1
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default Pat Tillman Former AZ Cardinal; current Army Ranger- KIA in Afghanistan.

Quote:
Former NFL Player Pat Tillman Killed in Afghanistan, CNN Says
April 23 (Bloomberg) -- Pat Tillman, a former player with the National Football League's Arizona Cardinals, was killed in action in Afghanistan, Cable News Network reported.

Pat and his brother Kevin joined the U.S. military after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Kevin Tillman left a minor league baseball career to join the military, CNN's Barbara Starr said.

Pat Tillman was accepted into the U.S. Army's elite Rangers unit in December 2002 after joining the Army earlier that year.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Pat Tillman Former AZ Cardinal; current Army Ranger- KIA in Afghanistan.

Quote:
According to a Pentagon source, Tillman was killed in action when his unit's patrol was attacked by small arms fire and mortars during a coordinated ambush in eastern Afghanistan.

One enemy combatant was killed, and Tillman was the only U.S. soldier killed during the ambush, said Pentagon sources. His brother, Kevin, is in the same platoon.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Pat Tillman Former AZ Cardinal; current Army Ranger- KIA in Afghanistan.

I am feeling crushed and heart broken today, but I also am proud of the sacrifice he gave for our country. Now here is a real Super Star. I hope the NFL does something special to remember him. Somebody is suggesting painting the 40 yard line Red White and Blue in his honor. That was I can tell my kids the significance of the Red White and Blue 40 yard line on the NFL football field.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis
"This is a painful day for the Tillman family and my condolences go out to them. I have known Pat since 1998 and I don't know if I have ever met a more dedicated person in my lifetime. He represented all that was good in sports, bringing passion, honor, integrity and dignity to the game.

"Pat knew his purpose in life. He proudly walked away from a career in football to a greater calling, which was to protect and defend our country. Pat represents those who have and will make the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I am overwhelmed with a sense of sorrow, but I also feel a tremendous feeling of pride for him and his service. He was not the first and won't be the last to give his life for his country. He always shunned the limelight and I am sure he would want that continued, but his life deserves to be celebrated and for his story to be told.

"He and the people he served with are what make this country such a special place. It was an honor to be his friend and coach and I will miss him."

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.
"I am heartbroken today by the news of Pat Tillman's death. The tragic loss of this extraordinary young man will seem a heavy blow to our nation's morale, as it is surely a grievous injury to his loved ones.

"Many American families have suffered the same terrible sacrifice that Pat's family must now bear, and the patriotism that their loved ones' exemplified is as fine and compelling as Pat's. But there is in Pat Tillman's example, in his unexpected choice of duty to his country over the riches and other comforts of celebrity, and in his humility, such an inspiration to all of us to reclaim the essential public-spiritedness of Americans that many of us, in low moments, had worried was no longer our common distinguishing trait.

"When Pat made his choice to leave the NFL and became an Army Ranger, he declined requests for interviews because he viewed his decision as no more patriotic than that of his less fortunate, less renowned countrymen who loved our country enough to volunteer to defend her in a time of peril. It is that first lesson of patriotism that we should reaffirm in our own lives as we celebrate the courageous life and mourn the heroic death of this most honorable American."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association
"All NFL players mourn the tragic and untimely death of Pat Tillman, one of our own. His courage and heart transcended football and we will miss him. Pat Tillman is a true American hero. Our thoughts and our prayers are with the entire Tillman family."

White House spokesperson
"Pat Tillman was an inspiration both on and off the football field," White House spokesman Taylor Gross said. "As with all who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the war on terror, his family is in the thoughts and prayers of President and Mrs. Bush."

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Pat Tillman Former AZ Cardinal; current Army Ranger- KIA in Afghanistan.

FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

You know, today, I came to the D-m.com forum to post my reply to MavsKikiNYC in the "Knicks to the lottery" thread as to defend my opinion and my favorite team, the New York Knicks..........

But now, I cant bring myself to do it.

That topic, like every other topic here and in the news just seems so petty and irrelevant compared to this.......especially considering Pat Tillman's cause, to defend our country and those lost in the 9-11 attacks. I lost two family members that day. For his ultimate sacrifice to defend the honor of those lost and those still living, I will forever be great full to Pat Tillman, whom I don’t even know and never got to thank in person.

Words just can’t express what I feel today with this news. It even has me questioning if I am doing the right thing in life. Should I be here enjoying all the luxuries of American life that other fight for, defend, and often sacrifice there lives for. Or should I join this band of brothers and sisters who defend our honor and freedom regardless the cost of it. Seriously, this now has me strongly thinking about joining our nation’s armed forces and properly serving my country. Right now I feel a mix of emotions........a little sad for this happening to Pat Tillman.......A little Angry for this happening to Pat Tillman.......but mostly proud to say I'm an American, just like Pat Tillman is. If anyone now dares question the spirit of America and its citizens, all we American's have to do now is show them a picture of this brave patriot.......they'll get the whole picture from there.

Honestly, I don’t feel Tillman's tributes should be just limited to the NFL. I feel that the entire sports world should literally stop for a second to honor a sports true hero. At tonight’s NBA playoff games in Boston and Houston, a moment of silence needs to be observed before the national anthem for America's fallen patroit. The same needs to be done throughout baseball tonight. Even at tonight's Canadiens vs. Lightening game, even though a team from Canada is represented and involved, it still needs to happen.

In the NFL, I feel not only should the Cardinals permanently retire his number, but the whole league needs to do the same as well. Sadly, I just feel the "40 line yard tribute" and the story behind it would just be forgotten over time. But if his jersey, say retired on the background of an American flag, were hanging in every stadium's rafters, his legacy and his ultimate sacrifice would never be forgotten at any time. And when were at the game with our children (...or future), we can show them the meaning of a true sports hero and introduce them to the man that is Pat Tillman and his story. Just like Jackie Robinson's number and is to baseball, Pat Tillman's number needs to be for football.

Tonight, out front of my apartment, I will light a candle in remembrance and honor of this fallen hero. I hope most of you will join me in doing the same.......

R.I.P Pat Tillman.........your actions make us all proud to be American's, just like you were and will forever be.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

definitely a sad day.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:23 PM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

By turning his back on a fat contract and enlisting, Tillman proved that he was a one-in-a-million special type of guy. Rest in peace, Pat.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:19 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: OutletPass
By turning his back on a fat contract and enlisting, Tillman proved that he was a one-in-a-million special type of guy. Rest in peace, Pat.
That wasn't the only time he turned down a fat contract. He turned down a larger contract offer while in the NFL from another team because he wanted to stay with the Cardinals.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 02:49 AM   #9
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

This certainly was very sad news to me, to everybody here in the Valley of the Sun, and accross the country.

Arizona State University will retire his number, 42, during a game against Washington this year.
The Cardinals are going to retire his number, 40, in a game next season also.

It was never about the money to him and thats very rare in a person in today's society. He was a very selfless person and I dont think he would want all this attention that he is getting from his death, even though it is very appropriate, as he thought of himself as just another guy in the crowd.

Some little things about Pat to get a better understanding about the person he was.

He would study and do homework inside a lit up ASU football stadium. A marketing major, he carried a 3.8 grade point average through college and graduated with summa cum laude honors after 3 1/2 years.
His first purchase when he got his first NFL contract was a mountain bike, not a BMW or a Benz, but a bike. He would ride his bike to his practices many times.
During a high school football game, his team was ahead by a lot and his coach sat all of the starters. Tillman kept sneaking back into the game, because he didnt want to stop playing. The coaches eventually took his pads away to keep him out of the game.
He ran a marathon and participated in a 70-mile triathlon, just to see whether he could do it or not.
The St. Louis Rams offered Tillman a five-year, $9 million contract when he was a free agent after the 2001 season, but Tillman stayed with the Cardinals, who were paying him $572,000 a year.

He was not only a great football player(Pac-10 defensive player of the year in College and a Pro Bowl safety in the NFL) , but he was a very special person as well and he will be missed by many.

My condolences go out to Pat's family and friends.
Rest In peace Pat Tillman.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:29 PM   #10
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Meet my new sig.........reverted to honor Tillman and those lost in war.