Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-03-2005, 06:43 PM   #41
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs looking into trading Finley to East (DMN)

However I also think dirk HAS to be able to beat a mcgrady and marion on the blocks. He can't always play them the same as he does a big, with a fade-away. So although I agree that the mavs could have helped, he needs to be unstoppable as well, which means a lot more post-up expertise against smaller players.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #42
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Mavs looking into trading Finley to East (DMN)

Wow this thread got way off topic. When this came out I proposed a whole bunch of trades on the trade board, funny how people said they would never happen, but as soon as I heard Donnie say that the organization was thinking of waiving Fin, I figured it to be a front so they could trade him. They are too smart to not use an asset to get something for the team. If they cannot pull off a trade and cut him I will be on the pissed off side of things, but until that happens we should all have patience.

What I did not anticipate was the huge reaction of all the teams willing to give up the MLE for Fin for at least 3 years maybe longer. Think about that. IF Fin gets waived someone is going to pay 5mil a year plus raises for 5 years (~30mil). Now that Fin's FA price has been set so high, people start thinking about a trade. They could dump 1 to 2 bad contracts and get Fin for 3 years which is probably the most that people will really want to sign him and only be out the 20-30mil.

Indiana would be the team I see most likely to pull a trade. They are on the brink of getting to the finals and a replacement for Reggie is just what the doctor ordered. They also have some bad contracts. Chicago might be a true player next year if they get a few breaks with their bigs and they have a real veteran like Fin. That would also be the best place for Fin to try and finish his career.
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 10:54 PM   #43
freestyle

freestyle has a spectacular aura aboutfreestyle has a spectacular aura about

How would the trade work for Reggie? Does he come out of retirment briefly for the trade and then re-retire? Would the Mavs then immediately avoid having to pay all of Fin's salary and related luxury taxes?
freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 01:13 AM   #44
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

By the way, in an earlier fin thread, I suggested that this might be the strategy and I offered up Fin for Ira Newble\Luke Jackson\S&T Diop\Trade exception.

They are way under the cap and will be really desperate if they cannot get Redd or Allen. Fin is just the kind of guy that could be a real help to the stability of that team. Lebron would get him open look after open look. They might look at Mobley or one of the waived players, but why not dump Newble and get Fin for about the same price as getting him in Free Agency?

Instead I would do Newble\Snow\Trade Exception of about 5mil. Newble gets a fresh start, and we get Snow as our 3rd PG which would not be a bad thing or we could waive him if that was an option. They end up paying an extra 16-20mil or so for fin. About the same as signing him for 6mil over 3 years. That is a good backup plan for them if Redd or Allen go the other way. The good thing is that they most likely will need just such a plan.

Now if Redd goes to Cleveland would the Bucks be willing to do anything? I doubt it as they are not desperate to keep thier other players, but you never know. We could trade for Booth 1 more time.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:20 AM   #45
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Random point: You can't package a trade exception to get a more expensive player. You can only use a trade exception to get a player of equal or lesser value. Thus, the Cleveland examples don't work.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #46
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I just looked at Eric Snow's contract. Someobody was very drunk the day they offerd that doozy.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:10 AM   #47
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: The Miles
I just looked at Eric Snow's contract. Someobody was very drunk the day they offerd that doozy.
nah the blind guy just couldn't see the contract when he signed it
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I dont remember off hand but wasnt Snow's contract signed in Philadelphia?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #49
dakook041

dakook041 is on a distinguished road

Trade Finley to Knicks:

*Penny(expiring, can play backup at pg,sg,sf)
Jerome Williams ( Hustle Player, will give dallas toughness especially as our 3rd PF.
OR
*Malik Rose ( hustle player, will get down and dirty down low at the Pf spot)

For

Finley
Tariq

*= Playoff experince

Why we do this? Cause if finley is gonna get cut and we get nothing out of it, Mavs messed up especially if we don;t land a good SG or PG in free agecy. This way will allow us to still save money cause penny is a expiring, and williams has 2 years left on his. and we get rid of tariq's contract as well. And then now u have a hustle Pf at the 3rd string so thats a +, also gives you option to trade kvh depending on what they get in free agnecy, also getting penny would take care of the 3rd string pg if we can;t find any, also he can backup Daniels at SG, and also SF. And we don't lose that much playoff expirence either.

Whatcha think?

Oh ya i doubt Knicks Would Do this trade mavs might have to add a little more.
dakook041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #50
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I dont remember off hand but wasnt Snow's contract signed in Philadelphia?
Yep.. it was irrational exuberance after they made their run to the Finals in '01. It's also how Aaron McKie got his big contract there.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #51
Stressboy

KG, the Cavs are under the cap so salaries do not have to match. We would be gettting a trade exception to make up the difference of Fin - Snow+Newble. I would try to get Luke Jackson but I doubt they would do that.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #52
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
KG, the Cavs are under the cap so salaries do not have to match. We would be gettting a trade exception to make up the difference of Fin - Snow+Newble. I would try to get Luke Jackson but I doubt they would do that.
Sorry, Stressboy, I misread your post.

That said, Snow/Newble sounds really gross to me. I'd rather just waive Finley.

Old 07-05-2005, 10:53 AM   #53
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Luke Jackson has barely been on the floor..Why would anyone trade for him? He could be a total bust for all we know.

Red flags should also go up when you see Cleveland looking for a marquee 2 guard, when they have Luke Jackson, who was a lottery pick...Obviously, they don't think much of him.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 AM   #54
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone correct me here but didn't I hear either on this board or at ESPN that players would not be allwoed to be traded and waived under the amnesty provision?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #55
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

I don't know what ESPN has reported on the issue, but it has been widely speculated that such moves would be stopped by Stern if they were merely attempts to circumvent the purpose of the amnesty rule (that the waived player couldn't stay with his original team).
Old 07-05-2005, 01:05 PM   #56
Stressboy

KG, I agree I don't think Snow/Newble are a good for us, but I think we could use the trade exception if we got a big enough one, for a pretty decent player in a S&T, such as a Swift. Also, as someone mentioned about the circumvention thing, so long as Fin does not get waived, I don't see why we could not take on a bad contract and waive it such as Snow's.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #57
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Swift would be nice...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:03 AM   #58
cripple balls

cripple balls is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: dude1394
Quote:
"Our first choice would be to keep Fin in a Mavericks uniform until he retires," Nelson said. "But as we run through the creative options, there seems to be less and less prospect of that happening. We have heard from a lot of people."
Why do they say this crap. It's obvious pr and also obviously not true.
If you were trying to sell a piece of crap car, would you call it a piece of crap in your advertisement ?
cripple balls is offline   Reply With Quote