Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-25-2002, 04:02 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I want to see this kid in a Dallas Cowboys uni [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know Troy Hambrick was a stud this year but I've just always wanted Williams to play in BigD.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2002, 04:41 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I'd definitly be for it. I bet he ends up in Miami though.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 06:15 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i'd love it
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:20 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe if Cuban bought the Cowboys...hhmmmm.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately Cuban couldn't be as creative with a football team. That damn hard salary cap.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:47 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

baseball needs a salary cap similar to football.... yes, it sucks at times..but it would help save my beloved sport
Old 02-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I actually prefer a soft cap with a luxury tax like basketball. There's an area where you can make unrestricted moves (under the cap), an area where the moves have to be creative (over the cap), and a final stopping point for most teams (the luxury tax).
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

yeah..but i think the basketball cap is too liberal
Old 02-26-2002, 01:09 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

<< yeah..but i think the basketball cap is too liberal >>

The best thing about it is that it is designed for teams to have an easier time keeping their players, but the LT, at least this year, has kept old overpaid vets from sticking around too long. Somebody like Sam Perkins would have stuck around another year for what he was making had his team not been fearful of the LT. It's too early to tell yet, but so far I like the basketball cap. Football just has way too many good ol' boys being waived because of salary cap concerns. Basketball is kind of a middle of the road solution.

Another great thing about the basketball cap is the rookie scale salaries. No holdouts. That's just beautiful.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

i do like the rookie scale..but i do like a harder cap...just my HSO

it wouldn't help the mavs..but think of how we would feel if it were someone else that wasn't afraid of the LT and we were stuck with an owner that was spending $30 mil on players
Old 02-26-2002, 07:03 PM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

We'd feel pretty bad, but surely not as bad as the way we felt when guys like Zachanelli and Sonju were calling the shots.

But fans always bitch when you have overpaid players that don't contribute relative to their salary. So now, because of what Cuban's doing, you're saying the same fans will be upset because their owners are too cheap to take on bad contracts. Bad contracts, which, by nature, overpay underacheiving players. You're right, but it just goes to show that as an owner, you can't win unless you gauge success by your own measures and no one elses. (Turning a profit of X, making the playoffs... whatever).

Hopefully, over the course of a few years, Cuban's over-the-cap spending will eventually be an example of a creative business model that proves to other NBA owners that spending LT-type money, as long as it's smart, doesn't have to hurt as bad as they think. Then, maybe a few more will follow suit. But a lot of that has to do with the initial investmants Cuban has shown that he's willing to make.

And of course, this is all contingent on the current CBA staying in place or a new one being pretty similar.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 04:42 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

The Waco Unreliable Times reports that talks between the Fins and Saints have broken off due to the demand that the Saints also throw in a draft pick. Apparently the Fins don't want to give up their #1 and #3 pick because they would not have another until round 5. The Saints are balking at sending them Williams and a #3. The Waco paper reports the Cowboys have made initial contact with the Saints and have entered the fray with about five other teams. Go Jerry!

Williams wearing doublestars would be huge.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 09:13 PM   #13
BiteMeVescey

BiteMeVescey is on a distinguished road

If we were to get him, he'd be able to get here quickly. I didn't think you could make an SUV go 126 mph[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]