Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 PM   #2761
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

Rescue Dawn, Christian Bale sure does enjoy it in Vietnam.

"What Dirk is doing is legendary stuff, this is a joke how good this man is" - JVG
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 01:28 PM   #2762
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeahh!!!

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #2763
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

No way I can compete with the above, but plenty of travel time recently so polished off:

Moon - really enjoyed it, didn't think Rockwell had the acting chops but he pulled off a demanding role very well. Understand the critical acclaim for the film.

Cedar Rapids - meh, a little disappointed. Felt like the film couldn't make up its mind as to whether it wanted to be a full out comedy or something a little deeper. Straddled that line awkwardly. Ed Helms basically played his role in The Office and John C. Reilly played the role he always plays in every movie. Not a terrible movie but wouldn't watch it again.

The Big Red One - Another great WWII flick, Lee Marvin's a badass. Mark Hamill emphatically demonstrated over the course of two hours why his movie career went nowhere outside of Star Wars.

The Dirty Dozen - Another excellent Lee Marvin WWII movie.

Source Code - Good premise, interesting movie, decently acted. Couldn't help but feel like DeCaprio and Damon passed on this script before Gyllenhaal signed on. And can we all agree that Michelle Monaghan (who? my point exactly) has taken ownership fof the role of supporting actress whose name you don't remember? She's been in a bunch of movies but I honestly didn't remember her in a single one until I Wikipedia'd it.

Priest - ugh, last and least. The gf wanted to see this. Who's leg did Paul Bettany hump to get cast not once but twice (Legion) as an action hero??? I swear I took his lunch money in middle school. Whatever, he snagged Jennifer Connelly so he must have something going for him.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #2764
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Oh...and recently crushed Roots. Powerful, powerful stuff. From a personal perspective, makes me want to write something Haley-esque for Chinese Americans in 20 years when I have more time on my hands.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #2765
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedays View Post
No way I can compete with the above, but plenty of travel time recently so polished off:

Moon - really enjoyed it, didn't think Rockwell had the acting chops but he pulled off a demanding role very well. Understand the critical acclaim for the film.

Cedar Rapids - meh, a little disappointed. Felt like the film couldn't make up its mind as to whether it wanted to be a full out comedy or something a little deeper. Straddled that line awkwardly. Ed Helms basically played his role in The Office and John C. Reilly played the role he always plays in every movie. Not a terrible movie but wouldn't watch it again.

The Big Red One - Another great WWII flick, Lee Marvin's a badass. Mark Hamill emphatically demonstrated over the course of two hours why his movie career went nowhere outside of Star Wars.

The Dirty Dozen - Another excellent Lee Marvin WWII movie.

Source Code - Good premise, interesting movie, decently acted. Couldn't help but feel like DeCaprio and Damon passed on this script before Gyllenhaal signed on. And can we all agree that Michelle Monaghan (who? my point exactly) has taken ownership fof the role of supporting actress whose name you don't remember? She's been in a bunch of movies but I honestly didn't remember her in a single one until I Wikipedia'd it.

Priest - ugh, last and least. The gf wanted to see this. Who's leg did Paul Bettany hump to get cast not once but twice (Legion) as an action hero??? I swear I took his lunch money in middle school. Whatever, he snagged Jennifer Connelly so he must have something going for him.

Sam Rockwell, for my money, is THE most underrated actor in Hollywood. You would have known coming in he'd have the chops to pull it off if you'd seen him in "Snow Angels", "Jesse James", and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". "Moon" is one my favorite films, amazing. I was disappointed in "Source Code" (it was Duncan Jones, the director of "Moon", second film). The end was really weak IMO. Just made no sense and felt tacked on for the sake of avoiding a "dark" ending, which I really hate.

"Priest" looked awful, which is a shame. The GN is cool, and Bettany is a hilarious guy in person (I love Jennifer as well).

I absolutely loved "Cedar Rapids". One of my favorite comedies.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #2766
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Sam Rockwell, for my money, is THE most underrated actor in Hollywood. You would have known coming in he'd have the chops to pull it off if you'd seen him in "Snow Angels", "Jesse James", and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". "Moon" is one my favorite films, amazing.
I saw him in Jesse James, thought that was a great movie. The younger Affleck is underappreciated - he had a blowout 2007 (Jesse James, Gone Baby Gone and Ocean's 13), then real quiet. I'll have to add the other two to my list. Maybe the real reason I have a tough time taking Rockwell seriously is because I keep seeing him in that damn Galaxy Quest jumpsuit (guiltily confess to liking that movie).

Quote:
I was disappointed in "Source Code" (it was Duncan Jones, the director of "Moon", second film). The end was really weak IMO. Just made no sense and felt tacked on for the sake of avoiding a "dark" ending, which I really hate.
Bingo, another reason why I felt let down by it. That and the musical score...way over the top. Jones should have Nowitzness advise on their next film.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:47 PM   #2767
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was disappointed in "Source Code" (it was Duncan Jones, the director of "Moon", second film). The end was really weak IMO. Just made no sense and felt tacked on for the sake of avoiding a "dark" ending, which I really hate.
Yep. I liked Source Code until the last, I dunno, 2-3 minutes? Really tried to force everything into a happy ending at the end there.

Of course, you never know where the pressure to add that kind of ending came from. It may not have been the director at all.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #2768
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

An underappreciated actor is Ryan Gosling in my opinion. He was absolutely terrific in Lars and the Real Girl, The Believer, The Slaughter Rule, and Blue Valentine. He's actually great in all his movies even when the movies aren't necessarily all that great such as Murder by Numbers, Remember the Titans, and The Notebook.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #2769
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I thoroughly enjoyed Source Code. I do get the ending was a bit of "really, did you REALLY have to do that?" but I still found it to be quite enjoyable.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #2770
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a gosling fan as well. Solid all around. Guy is one of the few attractive leading men that can actually act.

i saw this poster in the theater the other day:

the movie's not about gosling as a young clooney or anything, but good lord does he really really look like a young george clooney.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #2771
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

except young george clooney really looked like this:

Old 08-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #2772
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I'm a gosling fan as well. Solid all around. Guy is one of the few attractive leading men that can actually act.

i saw this poster in the theater the other day:

the movie's not about gosling as a young clooney or anything, but good lord does he really really look like a young george clooney.
The biggest difference that I've noticed between their looks is that Gosling doesn't have the big "ME" tattooed on his forehead. He's an actor with all kinds of attention thrown his way.. does he really need the tat to draw even more?
Old 08-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #2773
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
The biggest difference that I've noticed between their looks is that Gosling doesn't have the big "ME" tattooed on his forehead. He's an actor with all kinds of attention thrown his way.. does he really need the tat to draw even more?
Hahaha, reminded of this infamous post in the Billups race thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco

What?

You thought this thread was dead?

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #2774
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

"Break the bank for Billups!"

-Silk Smoov
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM   #2775
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sam Rockwell, for my money, is THE most underrated actor in Hollywood. You would have known coming in he'd have the chops to pull it off if you'd seen him in "Snow Angels", "Jesse James", and "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind". "Moon" is one my favorite films, amazing. I was disappointed in "Source Code" (it was Duncan Jones, the director of "Moon", second film). The end was really weak IMO. Just made no sense and felt tacked on for the sake of avoiding a "dark" ending, which I really hate.

"Priest" looked awful, which is a shame. The GN is cool, and Bettany is a hilarious guy in person (I love Jennifer as well).

I absolutely loved "Cedar Rapids". One of my favorite comedies.
You left off his best role...in The Green Mile
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #2776
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Watched "Stake Land" from NetFlix last night. Pretty cool little vampire/post-apocalyptic Indie. Part of the plotline was weak, but great cinematography, direction, and acting. Very dark film.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #2777
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Black Swan. I don't know if there's any reason to watch this other than to see Mila Kunis munching on Natalie Portman, but that's reason enough.

True Grit. Good flick. I'm obviously way behind on movies.

Let Me In. Pretty cool movie.

Last edited by alexamenos; 09-04-2011 at 09:49 AM.
alexamenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2778
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Watched HANNA last night. It was decent with good action and cinematography. Not a great plot and some terrible henchmen, but enjoyable. The crown jewel though was the soundtrack by Chemical Brothers. You almost didn't even care what you were watching as long as that music continued.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #2779
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Watched HANNA last night. It was decent with good action and cinematography. Not a great plot and some terrible henchmen, but enjoyable. The crown jewel though was the soundtrack by Chemical Brothers. You almost didn't even care what you were watching as long as that music continued.
Agreed. Bana and Ronan were great. Sharp dialogue, cool directing by Joe Wright. My main problem was the plot.

*SPOILER*

Ronan's character is this badass super-human. She could have killed those weakass hitmen in an instant. So WHY is she running from them the whole film? It doesn't really jive.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #2780
CadBane
Banned

Liked "Contagion" a lot.

"Drive" was fantastic!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #2781
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

^I'm sure you're peeved Cad that Universal pulled the plug on At The Mountains of Madness. You can blame flops like Cowboys and Aliens for that.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #2782
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
^I'm sure you're peeved Cad that Universal pulled the plug on At The Mountains of Madness. You can blame flops like Cowboys and Aliens for that.
Tom Cruise starring in a 3D, $150mil PG-13 movie (that should be rated R) where the "good guys" don't (or at least aren't supposed to) win?

Some plugs are meant to be pulled...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-23-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #2783
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Tom Cruise starring in a 3D, $150mil PG-13 movie (that should be rated R) where the "good guys" don't (or at least aren't supposed to) win?

You had me at 3D.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #2784
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Yikes. I definitely didn't read that part and would be fine never seeing Cruise in a film ever again.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #2785
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Oh, I was furious. It's such a joke. "Battleship" gets a 200 million dollar budget, but Universal nixes "At the Mountains of Madness"???

- Lovecraft + Del Toro + 3D + Cameron Producing + Cruise starring?

By the way, the reason they balked is because Del Toro wouldn't budge on a Hard R, so it was NEVER going to be 3-D. Not sure why the Cruise hate. Think what you want about his personal life, but he's a very capable actor. He wouldn't be my first choice (Dafoe or Cillian Murphy would have), but still.

It's possible Del Toro & Cameron will take it elsewhere (WB...).

But I'm just fed up with Universal. They nix "ATMom", they nix "The Dark Tower", they killed Gore Verbinski's Hard R "Bioshock". But hey, 200 mill for a movie starring Rhianna and Brooklyn Decker...
Old 01-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #2786
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Almost five months since this thread had a post?

50/50 was really, really good.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #2787
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Ah. Three movies over the last month, three really good ones, I thought. Sherlock Holmes 2, Mission: Impossible 4 (in a very pleasant surprise), and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #2788
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

2011 was a pretty weak year for movies imho. My two favorites were probably Contagion and Moneyball. I might put Girl with the Dragon Tatoo on the list, but I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #2789
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Arthur: sucked
Moneyball: not bad, interesting. I didn't love it though.
Drive: Very awesome. It has such a weird feel to it, that I thought I was gonna hate it, but in the end I didn't.
Wallstreet: Money Never Sleeps: Meh, it was ok.
Mission: Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol: Really? WTF, REALLY awesome. It was so entertaining that I was a bit surprised when it ended, and I looked at my watch and noticed that it was WELL over two hours long. Right amount of action, right amount of comedy, overload of fun.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #2790
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I loved Mission Impossible 4 too, definitely a pleasant surprise. I like the whole series, but wasn't expecting much from this one. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I really liked Moneyball as well, I thought it was insightful, funny, and entertaining throughout. I loved that era of baseball, and Brad Pitt played Billy Beane perfectly.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #2791
CadBane
Banned

Sherlock Holmes 2 was such a pleasant surprised. I loved it, better than the first. I had low expectations considering the mediocre reviews (lower than the first).

MI4 was really cool...ending was contrived and cheesy, but otherwise, great action film...and a Sawyer cameo!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #2792
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sherlock Holmes 2 was such a pleasant surprised. I loved it, better than the first. I had low expectations considering the mediocre reviews (lower than the first).
I like that it didn't follow the same template as the first one, as you often find in Hollywood sequels. Even when they brought back some of the same elements, they'd put a fresh spin on it (like the slow motion fight breakdowns). Definitely on par with the first one as a solid popcorn flick.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #2793
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
Black Swan. I don't know if there's any reason to watch this other than to see Mila Kunis munching on Natalie Portman, but that's reason enough.

True Grit. Good flick. I'm obviously way behind on movies.

Let Me In. Pretty cool movie.
Black Swan = Super Overrated as a film...decently interesting as a gimmick.

True Grit = Good Cowboy Fun + Acting

Let Me In = Creepy Little Vamp Kid + Acting

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #2794
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

"Drive" was fantastic!
The coolest movie I've seen in a long time.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #2795
sike
The Preacha

Quote:

MI4 was really cool...ending was contrived and cheesy, but otherwise, great action film...and a Sawyer cameo!
Still need to see Sherlock Holmes 2...

MI4 was a disappointment to me following the great turn by philip seymour hoffman as the villain in MI3.

Found the action wonderful and everything else (like the actual movie), pretty pedestrian.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:13 PM   #2796
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed MI4, just a straight up action movie. Then you add on the 6 minute prologue to The Dark Knight Rises before the movie. Worth the price of the ticket.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #2797
Murphy3
Guru

Watched first season of Homeland.. It's solid. Just watched Thor and .....Captain America. Thor was rather tame, but I did enjoy it enough for the $1 rental. Captain America..solid movie, but just a bit let down that it wasn't better.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #2798
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I liked Thor overall - kicked off with action (as opposed to having to sit through an origin story), but dragged in the middle. Some people didn't like Kat Dennings or the overall humor, i liked both. Overall I was pleasantly surprised.

Still need to see Captain America.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #2799
CadBane
Banned

Watched "Another Earth" last night. Very ambitious and well done for such a low-budget. Had some real plot holes...but the ending is a nice thinker.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #2800
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'll put the Ides of March on my list. Funny how Ides, Moneyball, and Contagion are all filmed in a similar hypnotic/subtle way.

Tags
annoying thread title, cadfail goes to work, flash fluff warning, got a bit fluffy in here, inception geeks..., stupidgookisstupid, what the fluff?