Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-27-2010, 01:23 AM   #121
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we get killed by orlando because we'd have to be doubling him. We had beaten phoenix at home but this team was reeling at 50% before the deal, they were mentally checking out of the season.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #122
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
So jkiddo should save himself for that game???????? Of course you know that without this type of effort they never get to those games.
Nah, of course not, but still - I mean the fact alone that he is able to play like that at 36 - fantastic! But he played what - 44 mins?

Don't get me wrong - I'm as thrilled as you, but there is always something to be worried about, isn't there?

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #123
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Kidd has been WAY more aggressive on offense which I love. We know he won't beat you off the dribble. But he's actually been looking to attack the basket on the fast-break, and he's mixing in a couple two point jumpers off the dribble. Even if he only hits 40% on those, it's good for keeping teams honest.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #124
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
none of them...and I'm not tossing that out as shock value either. They weren't good enough with gooden.
The whole team wasn't good enough with anyone. The trade has somehow re-energized the whole team....so yes, Haywood is a clear upgrade over Gooden and that has made a difference....but don't make it like Gooden was the whole reason the team was losing.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #125
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

the 19/16/17 game got me thinking. Has anyone ever had a 20/20/20 game?
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #126
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The whole team wasn't good enough with anyone. The trade has somehow re-energized the whole team....so yes, Haywood is a clear upgrade over Gooden and that has made a difference....but don't make it like Gooden was the whole reason the team was losing.
Gooden's inability to be a true center was a huge reason for the defense stinking it up. This IS a veteran team and veteran teams know when they aren't good enough, they were not good enough and they began to play like it imo.

I believe they were also sort of waiting for josh to assert himself and when he didn't they knew that they were toast.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 AM   #127
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Gooden's inability to be a true center was a huge reason for the defense stinking it up. This IS a veteran team and veteran teams know when they aren't good enough, they were not good enough and they began to play like it imo.

I believe they were also sort of waiting for josh to assert himself and when he didn't they knew that they were toast.
Correct. At the beginning of the season, I was of the opinion that if we had EVERYONE healthy, we MIGHT be able to challenge Denver, but most certainly not the Lakers. Given the fact that we never really had Josh, and Damp has been injured the last 3 months, what do you expect? They got deflated, de-energized, and embarrassed a few times. We needed a change. We got that, along with a shit ton of "toughness" in Butler/Haywood/Stevenson. I think that, once we get Butler/Damp/Thomas back, we will be one of the most dangerous teams in the league, and will have the size, length, athleticism, toughness, defense, and offense to match up with anyone, except possibly the Lakers and Cavs.

The only problem I foresee is at backup PG. I don't think JJB is gonna cut it, nor do I think Roddy will get enough time to develop enough to be a consistent threat in the playoffs, against tough, nasty defensive teams. Ergo, I'm hoping come playoff time Kidd can play around 43mpg....I don't trust anyone else on this team at the 1 at this point.

Quote:
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #128
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Someone posted this on DB. Good read from Atlantas side of the story. They really did lose their composure.

Quote:
The Hawks lose on a night when losing seemed impossible

9:46 pm February 26, 2010, by Mark Bradley

I kept asking the question, and nobody really had an answer. How do you lose this game? How do you lose on a night when you led by 13 points with 5 1/2 minutes left? How do you lose on the night you had played some of your best basketball in two months if not 20 years?

Said Al Horford: “We were at home. All the factors were lined up. I don’t think we’re the kind of team that blows a lead, even though we blew one at Golden State [on Sunday].”

They blew this 13-point lead even worse than they blew that 18-point lead. They blew this one as bad as a good team ever blows a game. They blew this because Dallas coach Rick Carlisle waited until the end to throw up a zone defense, and the Hawks’ coach waited until the final two minutes of regulation to get called for a personal foul.

OK, so technically it was a technical foul, but it involved a collision with a player. Mike Woodson bumped Jason Kidd while the Dallas guard was dribbling down the left sideline with the Hawks leading by two points. Kidd stuck out his elbow to draw contact, but there was no question Woodson was in the wrong.

Said Mike Bibby, who had answered two of Kidd’s three fourth-quarter treys with 3-pointers of his own: “[Woodson] was on the court.”

Said Woodson: “[Kidd] made a heck of a play. I’m not going to get into a [spitting] match with him … He did what he had to do, and it didn’t favor our team. I’ve got to take the hit for it.”

Instructive choice of words: Take the hit.

Horford again: “It was tough. Jason Kidd really changed things for them.”

Kidd is 36, a half-dozen years past his prime, but he willed his team to this victory in a way reminiscent of a young Earvin Johnson. Kidd’s line: 19 points, 17 assists, 16 rebounds. He shrugged off a wretched third quarter — he took eight shots, missing seven — and over the final five minutes of regulation had nine points, three assists and four rebounds.

And where were the Hawks? Missing their shots, missing their composure, missing in action. Over the game’s final 10 1/2 minutes (counting overtime) they scored 13 points. The Mavs dusted off their zone — Jamal Crawford: “They saved it for the end; that was smart on their part” — and the Hawks could do nothing against it.

Horford: “They couldn’t guard us one-on-one.”

But that’s the point. The Mavs overrode their weakness. As Woodson noted, the Hawks “controlled the game until the six- or seven-minute mark.” Then they threw it away.

Let’s not sugarcoat it. This was a bad, bad loss. Aired on ESPN, it offered the Hawks a chance to prove their bona fides against one of the best teams from the West, and they played really well up until the point where they fell flat.

“We’ve been blowing some leads,” Woodson said, and the inability for a basketball team to close out a game is as crushing as a baseball club that hands the ball to its closer and watches him blow the save.

“We’re a team that can handle adversity,” Crawford said. “We’ll bounce back.”

As bold as those words were, they rang hollow this night. A really good team doesn’t lose games like this, and that’s what the Hawks aspire to become and, for tantalizing stretches, seem to be. But how do you lose on a night when a technical foul against your coach for brushing the opposing point guard is the difference between winning in regulation and walking off with various manifestations of egg — scrambled, poached, everything except sunny-side-up — on your face.

Said Josh Smith: “You can’t lose a game like that.”

No, you can’t. But they did.

BEAT LA

Last edited by badfish22; 02-27-2010 at 02:31 AM.
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #129
aurelino9

aurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to allaurelino9 is a name known to all

ESPN says there have only been six 15/15/15 games in the last 30 seasons. Two each by Magic, Bird and Kidd.
aurelino9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:19 AM   #130
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Lol @ Horford's "they can't guard us one on one" comment. Haywood and Dirk shut down Horford and Smith. Yeah JJ scored 1 on 1 for three quarters. Most of Atlanta's points were on three pointers and fast breaks. The zone was mainly to keep JJ from penetrating.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #131
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
Lol @ Horford's "they can't guard us one on one" comment. Haywood and Dirk shut down Horford and Smith. Yeah JJ scored 1 on 1 for three quarters. Most of Atlanta's points were on three pointers and fast breaks. The zone was mainly to keep JJ from penetrating.
He's a dumb ass Billy Donovan disciple.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:42 AM   #132
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

The quick 7 points in these 28 seconds right here were the game.

Quote:
4:56 Dirk Nowitzki misses driving layup 79-90
4:54 Brendan Haywood offensive rebound 79-90
4:54 Brendan Haywood makes two point shot 81-90
4:54 81-90 Al Horford shooting foul (Brendan Haywood draws the foul)
4:54 Brendan Haywood misses free throw 1 of 1 81-90
4:52 Jason Kidd offensive rebound 81-90
4:50 Jason Terry makes 26-foot three point jumper (Jason Kidd assists) 84-90
4:31 84-90 Al Horford lost ball (Jason Kidd steals)
4:28 Jose Juan Barea makes layup (Jason Kidd assists) 86-90
That was some high energy by Kidd. The big offensive rebound and quick pass to Terry for 3, then the steal at the other end and the behind the back pass to Barea on the fast break. Very cool. That ratcheted up the intensity to an incredible level. Just prior to that Dallas was trying, but Barea was getting abused, and the Mavs kept getting pushed back to a double digit deficit, and I was thinking about the "can't win 'em all" postgame thread I'd be reading.

After that, Bibby and Kidd traded threes, and on that wave of intensity, Kidd found a way to punk Woodsen and the Hawks just choked.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #133
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

BAM....you just got KIDDIRKED
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 AM   #134
TNT

TNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to all

I want Kidd's jersey. He's playing like an all-star and that's what we need to win at least west championship.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 AM   #135
TNT

TNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to allTNT is a name known to all

edit: and gonna be world champions
Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #136
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

KIDDIRK!
Old 02-27-2010, 04:20 AM   #137
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Video
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:24 AM   #138
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but thought this was amusing.

Quote:
Jason Kidd's unusually clever play

By John Hollinger

Mike Woodson took a charge from Jason Kidd that ended up costing Atlanta.

ATLANTA -- Jason Kidd may be an old dog, but he still has some new tricks up his sleeve.

With 1:36 left in regulation in the Mavs’ 111-103 overtime win over the Hawks, Kidd made a move he said he’d never tried at any level. It was the veteran move to end all veteran moves -- a player drawing contact from an opposing coach.

“That play just presented itself,” said Kidd. “It’s just something that’s reaction and understanding what the team needs.”

Atlanta led 97-95 at the time as Kidd dribbled down the left sideline and saw Hawks coach Mike Woodson a full step into the court directing his players where to be on defense. Woodson didn’t see Kidd barreling toward him, but Kidd knew exactly how to take advantage.

The 36-year-old vet dribbled even further left than normal, straight toward Woodson, and made sure he drew contact. Woodson leaped away at the last minute, but he’s been retired for 20 years now and his instincts aren’t quite as sharp as when he was starring for the Kansas City Kings. The result? Contact between Kidd’s extended forearm and Woodson’s chest, and an automatic technical foul on Atlanta. Dirk Nowitzki’s free throw gave Dallas a key point that cut the Hawks’ lead in half -- one that proved crucial since the game eventually went to overtime.

“I went in a straight line,” said Kidd. “If I can’t beat him [to the spot], I’m in trouble.”

“[The official] said I was on the floor,” said Woodson. “I tried to move back and I was moving back and [Kidd] reached over the line and grabbed me.”

As near as anyone can tell, this was one of the few instances of such a play ever happening -- one coming when Milwaukee coach Del Harris collided with Denver guard Michael Adams in 1991. That play, however, happened because Harris walked on to the court to protest a call; Adams never intended to cross paths with him. Then Sonics coach Bob Hill "fouled" Rip Hamilton in 2006.

This play, on the other hand, happened because Kidd forced it to happen. Teammate Jason Terry called it the smartest play he’d ever seen.

“I saw him on the court, and we needed to get us a point somehow,” said Kidd. “I made the officials make something happen. He’s not supposed to be on the floor but for some reason it’s a fashion thing for coaches to be out on the floor…I’m surprised it hasn’t happened more.”

Kidd and Woodson shared some words immediately afterward, but it wasn’t bad blood as much as immediate lobbying to the refs for what to call.

“He was talking like I tried to take him out,” said Kidd. “I was saying you can’t be on the floor, you’re a coach, you’ve got no uniform on.”

As both Carlisle and Mavs owner Mark Cuban pointed out afteward, it should have been a technical foul on Woodson regardless since he was well out of the coaching box. But it likely would have slid had Kidd not forced the officials to make the call -- Woodson isn’t the first coach to wander on the court while giving defensive instructions.

“Sometimes you take a step or two [out],” said Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. “It’s very rare to see a coach out as far as he was, but it does happen.”

Kidd’s veteran move was one of two rare plays he contributed to in the fourth to help rally Dallas from a 13-point deficit in the last five and a half minutes of regulation. The other was a five-point play with 4:50 to go that cut Atlanta’s lead from 11 to six. First, Dallas got a foul and basket from Brendan Haywood. When he missed the subsequent free throw, Kidd grabbed the offensive rebound and quickly pitched it out to an open Jason Terry, who sank a 3.

That sequence was part of a lightning fast 12-0 Dallas run that took just 1:39. Kidd’s fingerprints were all over it -- after the five-point play, he stole a pass to Joe Johnson and threw ahead to J.J. Barea for a run-out lay-up, then found Dirk Nowitzki for a wide-open 3 on the next trip.

Kidd, who finished with 19 points, 17 assists and 16 rebounds in what Carlisle termed “an all-time great performance,” then teamed with Nowitzki (37 points) to finish off the Hawks in OT. Kidd posted Mike Bibby with the Mavs up by four and 1:06 left and, when Atlanta’s Josh Smith inexplicably doubled him, kicked to an open Nowitzki for a 3-pointer that all but sealed it.

Nonetheless, it was a play Kidd made that did nothing for his own stat line that everyone in both locker rooms talked about afterward.

“He did what he had to do,” said Woodson. “I’ve got to take the hit for that.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...ly-clever-play

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 02-27-2010 at 04:28 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:35 AM   #139
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas Mavericks basketball, where amazing happenings.!!
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:51 AM   #140
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Brilliant game by Kidd. Real Badass
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #141
CadBane
Banned

Lol, I was reading Twitter and apparently the signs Dirk was throwing up after that 3 in OT is some sort of Eastside gang sign. First the Jigga man, now tossing up gang signs. Who says Dirk has no street cred!?
Old 02-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #142
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Hawks went to the FT line more - 21 times to our 11
Hawks had fewer turnovers - 7 to's to our 13
DeShawn had a -23 +/-
Mavs had 50 rebounds to the Hawks 41

….......................................Mavericks. ...........Hawks
Fast break points:.................29........................ .19
Points in the paint:...............44.........................40
Team TO ( points off ):.....13 (14)....................7 (9)

Thought that Carlisle coached a heck of a game tonight.
His use of timeouts were great, and calling the zone D
and sticking with it was a great move.

Only Kidd / Magic / Bird have had a /15/15/15/ game in the last 20 years.
Two each by Magic, Bird and Kidd.

Dallas improved to 22-6 when scoring 100-plus points and 22-5 when out-rebounding opponents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dirt_dobber; 02-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #143
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfanforlife09 View Post
The only problem I foresee is at backup PG. I don't think JJB is gonna cut it, nor do I think Roddy will get enough time to develop enough to be a consistent threat in the playoffs, against tough, nasty defensive teams. Ergo, I'm hoping come playoff time Kidd can play around 43mpg....I don't trust anyone else on this team at the 1 at this point.
I know this has been mentioned many times, but in that scenario, Terry is the best option at backup point. When Kidd's not on the floor, put Terry next to Butler or Stevenson, and you've got a serviceable backcourt until Kidd gets back in.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #144
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Lol, I was reading Twitter and apparently the signs Dirk was throwing up after that 3 in OT is some sort of Eastside gang sign. First the Jigga man, now tossing up gang signs. Who says Dirk has no street cred!?
I wondered where the heck that was coming from. I've never seen him throw up those before. And jkiddo trotting down the floor holding his gorilla balls. Funny stuff from the seemingly stoic mavs.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #145
Sportstudi
Diamond Member

Sportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant futureSportstudi has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan View Post
the 19/16/17 game got me thinking. Has anyone ever had a 20/20/20 game?
Yes, one time. In a February 2, 1968 game Wilt Chamberlain had 25 points, 22 rebounds, and 21 assists. See here.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the former." (Albert Einstein)
Sportstudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #146
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk's definitely gangster.

tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #147
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was pretty sweet. I unfortunately knew the outcome before I got to watch it this morning, but it was still pretty epic.

Not going to do a full run down at this point, but Kidd is obviously ridiculous, Carlisle threw in a hugely successful curve ball with the three guard lineup and the zone, and Mike Woodson is a terrible coach.

Soo...here's the biggest question I came away from tonight with: Where is Caron Butler? He once again was not at the game, correct? Does that strike anyone as weird?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #148
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post

Soo...here's the biggest question I came away from tonight with: Where is Caron Butler? He once again was not at the game, correct? Does that strike anyone as weird?
Eh, not entirely...with him being a new player and everything I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, it's a while off before I go all J-Ho conspiracy on him.

They said he was at shoot-around and warmed up but they didn't clear him to go. Injuries have been a problem for him in the past, so it's not like this isn't new territory for him. His knees give him some trouble, so maybe the reaction to the medicine put his knees in a bad spot. Plus I wouldn't want to rush him back if it's not absolutely necessary.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #149
Gray Sage

Gray Sage is on a distinguished road

It's so great when Kidd and Dirk are really operating. You can see something coming, you know it's going to happen and the opponents CAN'T STOP IT! I love it.
Gray Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #150
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Kidd is one of the greatest basketball players I have ever had the privilege of watching. And probably the smartest player I can remember.

Butler said something about his Knee "tightening" on the TNT post game the other night...did anyone else catch that?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #151
dmavs1980

dmavs1980 will become famous soon enough

dirk was on fire all night as well draining every tough shot which is hidden by kidds dominating performance. terry was great too for the 2nd straight game, maybe he is finally getting his shot back
Old 02-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #152
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike View Post
Jason Kidd is one of the greatest basketball players I have ever had the privilege of watching. And probably the smartest player I can remember.

Butler said something about his Knee "tightening" on the TNT post game the other night...did anyone else catch that?
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tn...5_inside_3.nba

there you go

- for those who don't want to watch it - he did say his knee tightened up because of the medication... who knows.... I hope he'll be in on sunday.

Last edited by Lor20; 02-27-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #153
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmavs1980 View Post
dirk was on fire all night as well draining every tough shot which is hidden by kidds dominating performance. terry was great too for the 2nd straight game, maybe he is finally getting his shot back
Yeah. Dirk is the story of this game if Kidd didn't go off like he did. He played fantastic.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:32 PM   #154
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think he is having straw withdrawals.

Which means somewhere, out in the distance, Emperor Stern is laughing maniacally as everything is going exactly according to plan...

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #155
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

This was about as memorable as Dirk's 29 in the 4th against Utah

seriously.

i turned the game on as soon as i got home with 5 minutes left in regulation after following on my phone. So glad I didn't miss that ending. Just.. Wow.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:44 PM   #156
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well that was pretty sweet. I unfortunately knew the outcome before I got to watch it this morning, but it was still pretty epic.

Not going to do a full run down at this point, but Kidd is obviously ridiculous, Carlisle threw in a hugely successful curve ball with the three guard lineup and the zone, and Mike Woodson is a terrible coach.

Sturm said it best Thursday after the Lakers game: the Mavericks lead the league in "ehhhh don't worry about that so much". First it was Josh Howard in training camp, then Dampier and his mystery injury and most recently Tim Thomas and Butler. He also echoed a point I made this summer that the Cowboys would never be able to get away with this type of thing. The local basketball media either isn't very aggressive or doesn't want to risk pissing off the team losing access.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #157
mavErika
Golden Member

mavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant futuremavErika has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Someone posted this on DB. Good read from Atlantas side of the story. They really did lose their composure.
the author added this in the comments section:

Mark Bradley

February 26th, 2010
10:11 pm

I’m adding quotes and stuff to this post for print purposes, but I’ll be back with you soon. Players are stunned, you should know. Woodson is stunned.
mavErika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #158
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

it wasn't just a great comeback...it was a great game. Bibby and Co. had many answers to the Mavs big shots...

I gotta say this game made me even happier than the Lakers win.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM   #159
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
it wasn't just a great comeback...it was a great game. Bibby and Co. had many answers to the Mavs big shots...

Agreed. The Lakers game made me feel like the Mavs could hang. This game made me feel like they are a team on a mission.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #160
ReDirkulous Tyme

ReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to beholdReDirkulous Tyme is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I concur, fine sir. This game was epic, as far as 4th quarter play/overtime goes. So much fun to watch!!!

However, heres the question: assuming we get Butler back without nagging injuries, does Kidd still have to score 11+ppg for the Mavs to beat the good teams? Will Terry continue to shoot well coming in behind a guy that can already score?

I've seemed to notice a trend with Terry and his streakyness. He seems to accept coming off the bench because he has always played behind terrible starting 2's. It has seemed whenever the Mavs have gotten good production from Roddy/JJB/whoever else, JET has been terrible. Then he began starting at the 2, and his production skyrocketed. What happens if we get consistent scoring from Butler in the area of 18ppg? Will Terry revert to sucking ass? And if so, can Kidd step up and score?

Questions, questions, questions. The thing I'm loving though, is that since the ASG, Kidd has provided the answers, along with Dirk and co. of course

Quote:
Things in the mirror are closer than they appear.
ReDirkulous Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
big nut bust, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!