Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-25-2005, 03:45 PM   #1
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default "Closers" for the playoffs

Quote:
What is Avery Johnson looking for in the final four weeks of the regular season? "We need to find out who the five guys are who can play the best defense for us," Johnson said. "Who can get stops for us? Those are the guys who are going to be finishing games for us." When asked how many of the five he identified, Johnson responded that the only player who will be on the court for sure at the end is Dirk Nowitzki.
My choice for the "Closers" during the playoffs: Damp, Dirk, KVH, Josh, Terry

Based on what I've seen from KVH over the past 3 games, I'd pick him over Finley or stack. He can shoot the three almost as well as Finley. And he can take it to the rack or get to the line almost as well as Stack. Moreover, he's a much better rebounder and passer than either of 'em, at this point of their careers.

On Offense: Terry, Dirk & KVH can spread the floor or take it to the hoop on the best of 'em. Damp & Josh can prowl the paint for easy putbacks. This would be a tough fivesome for even the Spurs to guard.

On Defense: These 5 may easily be our best. KVH seems like a solid defender, much better than what I've heard of him before his arrival. Dirk's improved significantly this year to the point, he's almost intimidating at times. Terry is solid for his position. Damp could anchor the middle while Josh could be used to take out the opponent's best player.

Stack, Fin, Daniels, Bradley and Harris need to be used well in the first 40-42 minutes of the game to provide enough rest so the "Closers" can just takeover and smash the opponents into submission during the final 6-8 minutes.

Spurs, Suns, Sonics, Kings, Rockets or whoever... they're gonna' die so fast that it almost feels painless! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: "Closers" for the playoffs

That is a pretty solid 5 and backup 5. I think they really do have a 10 man rotation.

Who are the other 2 that make the playoff roster? PPod, Benga, Hendu, or DA?
I will assume that Hendu and DA are on the roster, but PPod/Benga instead of DA might be intriguing.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:"Closers" for the playoffs

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
That is a pretty solid 5 and backup 5. I think they really do have a 10 man rotation.

Who are the other 2 that make the playoff roster? PPod, Benga, Hendu, or DA?
I will assume that Hendu and DA are on the roster, but PPod/Benga instead of DA might be intriguing.
I agree. It's likely that Hendu & DA may get selected for their experience. But given Harris & even Daniels can be used at PG, in case Terry gets hurt, I wouldn't mind having a big like PPod or Benga for those 6 additional fouls. We need all the fouls we could get at the Center position, when we're playing against TD, Amare or Yao. Moreover, given Damp's injury history, PPod or Benga would serve as nice insurance, just in case.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

68 games in and we don't yet know who our best defenders are?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #5
V2M
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Josh obviously is our best perimeter defender and Damp, our best defender in the paint. Dirk's automatic at 4, admittedly.
So, I guess, it's a question of Terry vs Harris at point and a choice among KVH, Stack, Daniels and Finley for that final spot at 2/3.

May be, it's just AJ's way of trying to keep everyone on their toes defensively for these final 3 weeks.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not when the former head coach would play certain players because he couldn't remember the lineups from his hangovers.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
roadrunner
Golden Member

roadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to beholdroadrunner is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but AJ was on with GAC this afternoon. He stated that his 5 on the floor at the end of the game would have to be able to defend, rebound, and score...in that order. He stated that, at this point, he would only guarantee that Dirk would be 1 of those 5.
We ran like a simple play, and usually the ball doesn’t come get me until later. So I just trotted through the play and I looked to the ball, and it was already right there in my face. … He sees the floor so well and sometimes he throws the ball and we don’t see it. He’s liable to really throw anything.” Dirk

Kidd to Dirk is the present day Stockton to Malone.

roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:40 PM   #8
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: roadrunner
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but AJ was on with GAC this afternoon. He stated that his 5 on the floor at the end of the game would have to be able to defend, rebound, and score...in that order. He stated that, at this point, he would only guarantee that Dirk would be 1 of those 5.
J-Ho (without a doubt), Terry (needs to get his head in the game), Damp (hold down opposing center), KVH/Daniels/Harris (pick one)
Old 03-25-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
JD45

JD45 is on a distinguished road

KVH/Dirk/Damp would work in a zone, but they would be too slow for perimeter defense in man. I vote for Dirk/Damp/Howard/Daniels/Harris as top 5 defenders to close.
JD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Damp Dirk and Howard then who ever is hot at a particular time. Ther are games when Terry looks great other times he looks clueless same with Devin. When will Damp return?
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

IMO, Damp, Dirk and Josh are locks. If Fin shot is on and he continues to play the same exact defense he's been playing since AJ has been coach then i'd go with him at the 2 and Terry or Harris at the 1. I've really liked what i've seen from Harris. Not necessarily his passing but his defense. If Terry is playing like he did last night I sub in Harris for him. So if everyone is on I go with this:

Damp
Dirk
Josh
Fin
Terry

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 11:50 PM   #12
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Terry (if he's having a poor game than MAYBE Devin)
Marquis/Fin/Stack (whoever’s on)
Josh
Dirk
Damp
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 12:04 AM   #13
DirkGoesNuclear

DirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura aboutDirkGoesNuclear has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
.... If Fin shot is on and he continues to play the same exact defense he's been playing since AJ has been coach ....
Finley isn't exactly playing any lock down defence, it's just that he hasn't been scorched. At times he is still giving too much room to the opponent on the jump shot. And when was the last time he took a charge? When was the last time he grabbed a tough rebound in traffic?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:37 PM   #14
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

the props people have been giving to Finley for rebounding aren't legit, if you ask me. most of the boards he's been pulling down have either been tipped to him or he's been the only man under the basket. not exactly going up strong for boards.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

KVH will NEVER start over Finley. Even if he plays better than Fin, Fin will always start. Same as Stack. If you remember, whenever Stack started, it was always because Fin, or Howard injured. Both KVH and Stack were acquired specifically to come off the bench. In the 2003 playoffs against the Kings, we all remember how Nick Van Exel was absolutely on fire. He averaged 25ppg in that series, but he never once started over Nash. Likewise, nobody will start over Finley.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote