Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-03-2001, 08:48 AM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, i say go with bradley as long as possible..until he gets into foul trouble.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2001, 08:51 AM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I don't think we really have anyone who can guard him for a hole game. I say we just let him get his and try to shutdown the others(Russel, Marshell, etc.).

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:54 AM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Bryant and then Bradley. Utah is going to start strong, so keep Bradley out of early foul trouble. Let Malone work against Bryant and get a little tired. Plus it would be a great change of pace - the physical inside shovings of Bryant vs the shot-blocking Bradley

Let Juwan cover Utah's centers. Utah doesn't feed off any player who's name isn't Malone or Stockton so if the center scores a few buckets, who cares.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:55 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

no, the mavs don't have anyone that can guard him for the whole game
but, i do think the mavs should stick bradley on him to keep him remotely in check for the first quarter or so.
if howard guards malone for most of the night, malone will score 40.

malone will get his 25, but the mavs need to make him work harder to get his 25-30.
if he scores 25 and takes 24-25 shots, then it's a success for the mavs.
but if he scores 30 and only takes 17-18 shots, well, then malone got the better end
force him to work more..hit the jumpshot
Old 05-03-2001, 08:57 AM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

the only problem i have with howard guarding polynice is that if howard guards him, polynice will have 7-8 offensive boards and 4-5 offensive put backs.
the mavs can't let polynice be that big of a factor.

i don't think the mavs will go with bryant before bradley.
but i do like the combination.

welcome to the board MFFL. I beat you by one day
Old 05-03-2001, 09:33 AM   #6
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

You beat me by a day and by about a gazillion quality posts.
Old 05-03-2001, 10:07 AM   #7
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

Let Howard take the brunt in the beginning. Then in the second half, those old legs will be a little more tired and he'll have to be shooting fall-away jumpers over Bradley. That's what worked in Game 4. As always, my viewpoint is to "stick with what works until they find a way to stop it." Malone has ALWAYS had a history of having trouble against significantly taller defenders.

When Travis Knight was with the Lakers, he used to give Malone problem because of his height and long arms. The same with Elden Campbell. Del Harris used to play Shaq at the center and put Elden Campbell on Malone.

Bradley played extremely well and I think has earned the right to go again against him in Game 5.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:19 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

judging by the numbers, howard on malone has been the least effective. booth, bradley and bryant have all guarded him better.
howard has looked bad guarding malone ....he's proven that he's very little resistance for malone
Old 05-03-2001, 11:37 AM   #9
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

It just baffles me when Malone is getting position 1 and 2 feet from the rim. Hell, front the guy when he's that far down! Howard really needs work on his defensive presence. Next season, let's see what happens in the off-season with the guy and how he comes back to a team that wants him around. I think that will really encourage him to work hard.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:27 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

yeah...give him an offseason and see what he can do..
i don't know if much will change, ...but it is obvious that he needs to spend very little time guarding malone
Old 05-03-2001, 02:38 PM   #11
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

I agree with the idea about shutting down everybody but Malone. Malone will get his points, no matter what. Try to contain him, but I feel the key is getting the ball out of Stockton's hands. If we can get him out of the ball game, we'll be money.
Old 05-03-2001, 02:42 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

yes, malone will get his points...but the key to him getting his points is how he gets them..
does it take 25 shots for him to get 25 points or does it take him 18 shots to score 30?
well, that is the difference between bradley guarding him and howard guarding him.

yes, you're correct, very key to get the ball out of stockton's hands
Old 05-03-2001, 06:28 PM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

I think I should guard Malone.
I´m 6 foot 0, weighting 150 pounds (I don´t know if thats correct).
So I guess matched up against me Malone won´t do anything [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 11:24 PM   #14
dallaslaker

NO, I want Malone! I'm a 6 foot nothing over 200 over weight white guy with no jump. But I love to bang baby!!!!
Old 05-03-2001, 11:27 PM   #15
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Put me in there to be the thug. I'd give him a quick elbow to the face, but get me out quick before he kicks my A$$ [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 12:30 AM   #16
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Thats a trip, Robb. That is fucking hilarious. Hey, all you people saying we need to ditch Mad Max, come on. Thats two Gators on the squad. I say, the more Gators, the better baby! MILLER FOR ROOKIE OF THE YEAR!
Old 05-04-2001, 12:38 AM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

haha, ditch maxwell and trade for miller
Old 05-04-2001, 12:40 AM   #18
MFFL
Guru

Reggie - what the hell happened to your icon? The old icon was you! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 05-04-2001, 12:43 AM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

how about my new icon