Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-02-2001, 07:22 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

what does nash need to improve?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2001, 08:03 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

I don't think Nash needs to improve much on anything. He does everything pretty well. Maybe he could work on his hair [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] .

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:36 PM   #3
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to see Nash take the summer off and build up some muscle. He seems to get beaten to death some nights.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 08:32 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the things that make him a solid player hurt him at times also
sometimes he gets a little too out of control
Old 05-03-2001, 08:59 AM   #5
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Decision making, his skills are good, but he just makes some bad decisions at times. I definately think he can improve that aspect of his game.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:05 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

yep..he does get out of control at times and makes a bad decision or two.
but, he's getting there
Old 05-03-2001, 09:09 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

I do like that Nash has improved. Before the season ESPN (?) put a ranking of every player by position. Nash was in the bottom third of the rankings for point guards. Now I would put him in the top ten. If he repeats this year's performance, top five.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:25 AM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

several sports people were saying that nash wouldn't be the starter the first month of the season, that eisley would take his spot
i think we need find those people and rub it in their faces now
Old 05-03-2001, 09:27 AM   #9
MFFL
Guru

It's hard to do it to NBATalk - they are in dotcom hell.
Old 05-03-2001, 09:28 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

i think, not for sure, but i think sports illustrated was one of them that said eisley would take steve's spot
Old 05-03-2001, 09:32 AM   #11
MFFL
Guru

Wasn't there a reporter that said that the Mavs wouldn't even make the playoffs this year?
Old 05-03-2001, 10:10 AM   #12
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

The Mavs making the playoffs were always a question. I think we've surprised everyone, including ourselves, at how good we've become so quickly.

Nash needs to take the entire summer off and sit on his butt. The only basketball he should be playing should be on his PS2! That way he comes back healthy and ready for an entire season. Playing in the olympics hurts these guys in the off-season, because then there is NOT an off-season for them to recover.
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 10:18 AM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

there were alot of reporters saying the mavs wouldn't make the playoffs...

well, yes, it hurt them that nash and dirk played alot during the summer, but it also helped in some ways as well...
dirk continued to develop his game against strong competition in some of the rookie leagues and steve's confidence was way up after the end of last year and throughout the olympics.

but i agree, sit your butts down and relax some this summer
Old 05-03-2001, 11:26 AM   #14
TheKid
Diamond Member

He needs to play some basketball this summer. I agree not in the olympics or for those leagues, but some basketball in the summer is good for him though. I think to be successful in the NBA you need that year around competition to make sure you stay at the top of your game.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:31 AM   #15
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

pick up games are one thing, but organized ball (the olympics) is different.

Take the summer off, enjoy it, and pick up nice and fresh, ready for another run next year.

Keep in mind that we won't be surprising anyone next year. We'll have "the target" on us the entire season. That's been the Laker's problem this year after winning the championship last year. But, with a restfull summer, we should be able to pick up right where we left off. Plus, if Portland demolishes their team, that will be one less heavy-hitter in the west. I really expect most of their players to go to the east and strenghten those weaker teams.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:32 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

i think the mavs are past the point of suprising people
i've heard that thrown around alot, but i don't agree with it too much
the mavs might have suprised some teams early in the year, but i think they established themselves as a playoff team early. by doing that, i don't think they were overlooked by teams.

i just don't buy the whole suprising teams...
remember, the jazz are a #4 seed, still a solid team. the mavs aren't being overlooked by them going into the playoffs and they've still played them to a 2-2 tie so far.

the mavs are past the point of sneaking up on teams..that was gone 50 games ago or so
Old 05-03-2001, 12:42 PM   #17
TheKid
Diamond Member

I tell you what wouldn't be a bad idea, is for Fin to have Nash and Dirk come down to Chicago with him and play in the pro-am leagues there. I've watched some of those games and they are awesome. Alot of NBA talent and College talent, the games are great. It would be excellent for them. They play two times a week for about a month and a half and that would be perfect. People like Tim Hardaway, Juwan, Fin, Antoine Walker, Magette and TONS of college prospects. Alot of people that play oversease play there. I think if Dirk and Nash played in these leagues, it would not only be perfect, but for Fin, Nash, Dirk and Juwan to play with each other would be an additional bonus. It's highly unlikely but that would be awesome.
Old 05-03-2001, 12:44 PM   #18
TheKid
Diamond Member

Also the talent is so good, a few years ago Fin's team had, Fin, Big Dog (Glen Robinson), Juwan (when he was good with the Bullets), Donnie Boyce (who played for the Hawks for a little while) and Rashard Griffith (Fin's center on his college team) and they STILL didn't win the league! Craig Hodges team won it that year!
Old 05-03-2001, 12:46 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

that might be good for them....for awhile..then some rest also.

yeah, if dirk can work on his low post game there, then i'm all for it
Old 05-03-2001, 02:32 PM   #20
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

can anyone name 5 point guards that are better than nash in the nba right now. I have been thinking this all season, and this is what I have...

1. Kidd
2. Payton
3. Francis
4. Cassell
5. Nash
6. Marbury...would be a better 2 IMO...too out of control and selfish to run my team (most talent here though)
7. John Suckton
8. Barron Davis
9. T. Brandon
10. Bibby
11. Alvin Williams

Iverson is a 2 guard, I would say...

What do y'all think???
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 02:43 PM   #21
Murphy3
Guru

nash is a better shooter than cassell....
i'd just assume have nash, his game is on the rise.
if he's not as good as cassell now, he probably will be as good or better next year
Old 05-03-2001, 02:48 PM   #22
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

actually, I would rather have nash than anyone on this list right now. He is perfect for this team. But trying to see it from a non-homer view (which is hard for me to do), those are my present rankings. Nash could be top 3 soon though...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 05-03-2001, 02:53 PM   #23
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

I dont know... id take any of those top three over Nash... Although I really like Nash, so dont get me wrong.
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 03:01 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

nash is a team player, he fits in well, easy to get along with, relatively young, a great shooter, and he won't have any run-ins with the law or with beating women..
none of the other top 4 you listed meet all of those standards
Old 05-03-2001, 03:07 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'd choose any of those guys over Nash, but I'd gladly take any of them on as his backup. I'm a big Cassell fan but he doesn't quite fit the team mold as well as Nash. And if I didn't despise Kidd so much, it would be a toss-up between him and Nash, since both are excellent team players and ballhandlers. Davis and Bibby are both intriguing players with a lot of upside - should be interesting to see how much further they develop in the next couple years.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 03:15 PM   #26
The Crippler
Diamond Member

Francis isn't a bad guy is he? I haven't heard too many negative things about the franchise. He does taunt a little too much (esp. against the mavs), but he is a solid citizen isn't he? Anyway, I like his game a lot, and think he will be better than GP next year.
Old 05-03-2001, 03:27 PM   #27
Murphy3
Guru

i have heard negative things about him as a team player..
but if i were to possibly take one player on the list over nash..it would be him
Old 05-03-2001, 03:29 PM   #28
MFFL
Guru

I might be off base here, but I'd like to see Nash do it one more year before I put him into my top ten. There have been so many one hit wonders in the world of sports for me to put Nash into such elite company.
Old 05-03-2001, 03:34 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

yeah, good point
i don't know if you can put him in their category after a year and a half.. if you remember correctly, the last half of last year, nash played very solid basketball

but, a full year is enough for me to know that i wouldn't take the other guys over him at this point...except maybe francis
alot of one hit wonders play on bad teams also.....like gary trent, he put up very good numbers on a very bad team. alot of players do that, the whole team can't suck. i do know that trent would have been a solid player on a good team, but he wouldn't have put up near the numbers that he did for the mavs before he became mr injured reserve
Old 05-03-2001, 04:44 PM   #30
turbo.mav

turbo.mav has a spectacular aura aboutturbo.mav has a spectacular aura about

stockton should be higher than 7th-- i honestly, honestly, would rather have John Stockton as my pg than anyone else on that list
turbo.mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 04:47 PM   #31
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Even now that he's 39?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2001, 05:01 PM   #32
The Crippler
Diamond Member

as dj put, age had a great influence in my choices. I don't want a 39 year old point guard...do you?

now career-wise, there is no doubt in my mind that he is the greatest listed there.
Old 05-03-2001, 05:38 PM   #33
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

As far as ability while on the floor, I would say Stockton is the best on the list- he gives you everything you want in a point guard, and he still leads the league in assists (and probably steals) per 48 minutes by a fairly wide margin. His lack of ability to play heavy minutes, though, would make me put him below guys like Kidd and Payton...
Old 05-03-2001, 05:48 PM   #34
dallaslaker

I respect Stockton's and Malone's logevity and basketball knowledge, but there is no way I would want to play with either of those guys. I absolutely can't stand all the damn flopping they do. That completely ruins the game and just plays mind games with the other team and refs. If you want to act, make a guest appearance on a TV show, but leave it out of basketball.

Anyone else besides Stockton.
Old 05-03-2001, 11:14 PM   #35
Murphy3
Guru

well, i think when answered the question as to which player we'd like.. we did take age into account
well, at least i did