Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
See I don't think Dirk has to retire to develop young guys.
Except Dirk doesn't like playing with young guys... Everyone assumes that it's Carlisle keeping these guys on the bench, but it was Dirk who insisted on replacing Roddy with Stevenson, it was Dirk who wanted to trade Crowder/picks for Rondo, and it's Dirk who wants to chase the big fish every summer. He's not interested in rebuilding, he's not interested in developing future talent -- he wants to win now.

So, yes, Dirk does have to retire if you REALLY want to start building towards the future.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Except Dirk doesn't like playing with young guys... Everyone assumes that it's Carlisle keeping these guys on the bench, but it was Dirk who insisted on replacing Roddy with Stevenson, it was Dirk who wanted to trade Crowder/picks for Rondo, and it's Dirk who wants to chase the big fish every summer. He's not interested in rebuilding, he's not interested in developing future talent -- he wants to win now.

So, yes, Dirk does have to retire if you REALLY want to start building towards the future.
Wasnt aware of this. I just assumed they had a deal, asked Dirk what he thought, and he rolled with it
Old 06-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I wonder if his tune about that has changed a bit with the way Anderson filled in for Parsons. Or maybe just his tune towards Parsons has changed...

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #4
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I immediately balked when I heard Golden State would chase Dirk. Now, I say if we don't land anyone, sign and trade Dirk (he'll do it for us) for two future firsts. Let him spend two years in Golden State, let him get two more rings, then he can come home for a season and retire. Will it break my heart? Yes. Is it the best thing for all parties? Yes.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I immediately balked when I heard Golden State would chase Dirk. Now, I say if we don't land anyone, sign and trade Dirk (he'll do it for us) for two future firsts. Let him spend two years in Golden State, let him get two more rings, then he can come home for a season and retire. Will it break my heart? Yes. Is it the best thing for all parties? Yes.
What? That makes zero sense.
1) Dirk will not net us two first round picks. most likely not even one pick. If we wanted to rebuild by dumping a superstar the time was 3-4 years ago
2) Salary makes things really hard to just flip Dirk to the Warriors
3) Warriors aren't winning two consecutive rings in 17 and 18
4) Dirk likely doesn't have three years more left to play
5) Dirk is already a champion and a future hall-of-famer. He also doesn't want to go to the Warriors
6) why wouldn't Dirk just hold out inking his deal until after we take a dip into free agency?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 06-24-2016 at 11:27 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
What? That makes zero sense.
1) Dirk will not net us two first round picks. most likely not even one pick. If we wanted to rebuild by dumping a superstar the time was 3-4 years ago

IMO if the only way to get Dirk is give up two late firsts a contending team will do it.

2) Salary makes things really hard to just flip Dirk to the Warriors

If they have the cap space to chase Durant they have to cap space to absorb Dirk in a SNT

3) Warriors aren't winning two consecutive rings in 17 and 18

Moot point, it's completely feasible.

4) Dirk likely doesn't have three years more left to play

It's up to Dirk, KG is still kicking and his game doesn't translate nearly as well

5) Dirk is already a champion and a future hall-of-famer. He also doesn't want to go to the Warriors

Again, it's up to Dirk. Does he want to play with a bunch of scrubs? If our plan is to wait on Whiteside and Conley and we lose out on Parsons in the process then Dirk will not want to be here.

6) why wouldn't Dirk just hold out inking his deal until after we take a dip into free agency?

My point exactly. If after FA we come up with nothing why would he want to be here?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I'm glad Dirk is more loyal than you.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
tap2390
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm glad Dirk is more loyal than you.

If you prefer a 40-win team that has the 14th pick in the 2017 draft that's all you.