Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute
Default The f'ing left

mcsluggo's reply in the "Democrats are so patriotic" thread and the recent bruhaha over Edwards' bloggers had me thinking: are people on the left really that crass?

Apparantly, I'm not the only one.

http://newsbuckit.blogspot.com/2007/...er-say-on.html

Seven words you can never say on television"... but which are said on the Internet. A lot.
a post written by Patrick Ishmael
Posted Wednesday, February 28, 2007 @ 8:15 PM
Talk about potty-mouths.

The Net's not always a kid-friendly place; there is plenty of foul language out there. And of course, the blogosphere is no different.

But how different are the Rightosphere and Leftosphere when it comes to "dirty" language? Which side produces the most profanity-laced diatribes? Via Instapundit, I happened upon this interesting challenge from InstaPunk:

I propose an exercise to be performed by those who have the software and expertise to carry it out. The exercise is this: Search six months' worth of content, posts and comments, of the 20 most popular blogs on the right and the left. The search criteria are George Carlin's infamous '7 Dirty Words.' [Click this link for the list of expletives.]

And this is what I found, using what I deemed -- through a mix of TTLB and 2006's Weblog Award lists -- to be the 18 biggest Lefty blogs, and 22 biggest Righty blogs. I couldn't account for the 6-month time period, and I even gave the Lefty blogs a 4 blog advantage. But it didn't make much of a difference.

So how much more does the Left use Carlin's "seven words" versus the Right? According to my calculations, try somewhere in the range of 18-to-1.

Yowsers.

How did I get this result? I searched Google using the following format and recorded the page results that were returned:

site:xyz.com "search term 1" OR "search term 2" OR "search term 3"...

Nine search terms total -- the seven profanities as single words, and two of those as their own two-word variations. I then added the individual site results together and compared them. The results are below.

Of course... is anyone surprised? Barring some mass programming shenanigans on the part of Right blogospheric bloggers, this pretty well fits, and goes beyond, the predictions most of us would have made.

Feel free to replicate the experiment and send your results, or if you have a refinement to the method or blog lists, send those, too. We're always willing to add to the profanity data bank.

And of course, this isn't scientific. But hey, it's pretty @*%#$&! close.

(Cross-posted at Gateway Pundit.)

Labels: blogosphere
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote