Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 08-06-2004, 10:00 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newspapers in decline

Now I'm beginning to understand why so many newspapers are fudging their numbers. I imagine it's the same newspapers that so holier than thou wrote about enron and other comapanies.

polipundit

Media Self Parody: "News"Paper Circulation Edition
Fewer people subscribe to weekday newspapers, today, than the number of persons who subscribed to such papers . . .

in 1970.

And that is despite the fact the country's total population is almost 40 percent higher than it was, back in 1970.

And the pace of the decline of newspaper influence actually is accelerating. Since 1992, in fact, and even without adjusting for population increases, newspaper circulation has declined 11 percentage points; nearly one point per year.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2004, 07:36 AM   #2
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default RE: Newspapers in decline

Comparing a newspaper's fudging their circulation numbers- which is a question of if the printed papers actually were delivered to people or not- to the fraud at Enron, MCI, Adelphia et al is ridiculous.

Those companies commited financial fraud, manipulation of markets for their own self interest and greed, and cost not only their shareholders but consumers billions of dollars, aided by some in our government.

The fact that print circulation has declined is old news. very old. as you pointed out, it's a trend for the last 30 years.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Newspapers in decline

The above post is obviously a parody, but the real issue is a little troubling.

There's been a similar decline in the percentage of Americans who read books; I wish I could remember the percentage of Americans who had read ONE BOOK or more in the past year, but I think it was only around 60%.

ONE BOOK.

Sigh. Is reading and being informed becoming passe?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:28 AM   #4
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Newspapers in decline

Quote:
Originally posted by: sturm und drang
The above post is obviously a parody, but the real issue is a little troubling.

There's been a similar decline in the percentage of Americans who read books; I wish I could remember the percentage of Americans who had read ONE BOOK or more in the past year, but I think it was only around 60%.

ONE BOOK.

Sigh. Is reading and being informed becoming passe?
I tend to think that it is due to the onslaught of technology as entertainment. Internet, PS2, X-Box.... heck, alot of the good fiction books get made into movies anyway.

It is disturbing. I have an Aunt who's son (my cousin) was diagnosed with ADD. The Doctor's prescribed the usual medicine. Well my Aunt was having none of it. She worked with my cousin, a hard nosed kid who always did just enough to get by in school and at home, and turned his interests into things such as reading books and long-term projects and away from the video games. She canceled the AOL account. Well after about a year of consternation and continued patience by my Aunt he began to enjoy those projects and books. He is now a star student that graduated this year.

I think things like that prove that technology can be wonderful, but is often times over used. And the more it is around you the more you accept the dependency on it in your every day lives.

So what I am trying to say is, technology is evil. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]