Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Rick Astley on the "Rick rolled" Phenomenon

That other thread got me thinking..."What does Rick Astley think about all of this?"

And the internet provided....

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7010507503
Quote:
Anne Lu - Celebrity News Service News Writer

Los Angeles, CA (CNS) - Rick Astley is unwittingly getting another chance at his career. The 80s English pop star finds himself the subject of the Internet phenomenon called "RickRolling."

The practice of "RickRolling" racked up an astounding 14 million views on YouTube. It gathered renewed attention after gossip blogger Perez Hilton posted a message on his website last week under a fabricated title "Whitney Smoking Crack... Caught On Tape!!!" with the link opening to Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" video.

Astley was quite confounded by it all as well. He couldn't believe that a pop song, never mind that it's his, would attract that much attention on the Internet.

He tells LA Times' Web Scout, "It's a bit spooky innit? I think it's just one of those odd things where something gets picked up and people run with it. But that's what's brilliant about the Internet."

"If this had happened around some kind of rock song, with a lyric that really meant something - a Brice Springsteen, 'God bless America'... or an anti-something kind of song, I could understand that."

"But for something as, and I don't mean to belittle it, because I still think it's a great pop song, but it's [just] a pop song... It doesn't have any kind of weight behind it, as such. But maybe that's the irony of it."

Astley, 42, thinks he's too old to cash in on the phenomenon and create something like that on his own saying posting his own YouTube remix would be "almost a young person's thing, that."

To sum up his thoughts on the "RickRolling" thing, the singer says, "Listen, I just think it's bizarre and funny. My main consideration is that my daughter doesn't get embarrassed about it."

Hmm...I'm a bit disappointed. To me personally, more than anything, the rick roll phenomenon is mostly about how freaking gay he looks with that hair, dancing around, singing that gay song. So funny.

I would like to get his take on that.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Click here for Rick's official website

Last edited by MavsX; 04-02-2008 at 04:26 PM.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

heh. I remember reading an interview with Kevin Bacon when the whole "6 degrees of Bacon" thing went around in the 90s. He was initially pretty mad about the whole thing, thinking that everyone was making fun of him. It made him a lot more famous, though, so he started to enjoy it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote