Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #121
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Gerald's not been practicing well. Maybe his attitude landed him in the doghouse. Maybe the coaching staff is actually really pleased with his work ethic and commitment, but feel like there are some aspects of his game that need refinement in order to for him to become the best player he can be long-term (ball-handling, passing, defensive technique), and feel its better for his development if he can work on getting his skill set together in practice before they ease him back into the lineup.

Here's the main point, though. We simply haven't seen enough good basketball (as distinct from crazy athleticism and youthful energy) out of Green to call Rick a fool for not playing him. Factor in what JJB's done with his chance (highest on-court +/- on the team right now; integral part of a rotation that's managed to turn the corner on that 2-7 start by going 11-3 since), and the accusation seems even more unjustified.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #122
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Maybe Gerald's not been practicing well. Maybe his attitude landed him in the doghouse. Maybe the coaching staff is actually really pleased with his work ethic and commitment, but feel like there are some aspects of his game that need refinement in order to for him to become the best player he can be long-term (ball-handling, passing, defensive technique), and feel its better for his development if he can work on getting his skill set together in practice before they ease him back into the lineup.

Here's the main point, though. We simply haven't seen enough good basketball (as distinct from crazy athleticism and youthful energy) out of Green to call Rick a fool for not playing him. Factor in what JJB's done with his chance (highest on-court +/- on the team right now; integral part of a rotation that's managed to turn the corner on that 2-7 start by going 11-3 since), and the accusation seems even more unjustified.
You make good points Grandmaster but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, how can burying a player on the bench make him the best player he can be longterm? Most of the time young players get better when the coach tells them he trusts them and gives them minutes. And JJB playing well actually proves my point, Rick gave JJ minutes which is why JJ is shining right now, im pretty sure if he did the same for Green we would see a similar or probably better result.

And like I said before it makes no sense to start someone who is 5 foot 10 inches at SG over someone who is 6 foot 8
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #123
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

There's a critical difference between JJB and Green, namely that JJB's toolbox of basketball fundamentals seems to be pretty nearly complete. A guy who's got the foundation in place is going to get more out of in-game experience than a guy who's very much a work in progress, because in-game experience isn't about developing a skill-set, it's about learning how to get the best use out of the skills you already possess. JJB has had success because he has the skills, and because he's been able to take a step forward in terms of using those skills in a way that helps the team (I'm hoping there are more steps he'll be able to make, because there's still considerable room for improvement with his decision making). Gerald, on the other hand, doesn't have the skills, so I'd argue that the in-game experience isn't going to do him nearly as much good at this point.
Quote:
And like I said before it makes no sense to start someone who is 5 foot 10 inches at SG over someone who is 6 foot 8
It makes perfect sense if the team plays better with the little guy than with the bigger guy (and lest we forget, it makes a difference that when your starting PG has the size to play shooting guard, and the strength and rebounding ability of a SF). That said, I'd like to see JJB transition back to the bench, with Josh, and perhaps Wright finding their way back into the starting 5. Barring a trade, or significant improvements from Green or Williams, I'm expecting the Kidd/Wright/Josh/Dirk/Damp lineup to be the best choice as a starting 5.

Which reminds me, honestly, that Wright's absence (assuming he's healthy) is more puzzling to me than Green's, since Wright looked to be finding his way before the injury. Best I can figure, and it would seem to fit with what we've seen of Carlisle so far, is that DG's been doing well enough filling a role in the starting lineup that features JJB that Carlisle's going to continue giving him a chance for the time being. Perhaps he'd also prefer to wok one player into the starting 5 at a time, and getting Josh up to speed is a higher priority.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #124
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I think this team is still torn between wanting to win this year and playing for the future. JJB on the floor gives us a better chance to win games right now, and with 9 teams battling it out for 8 spots in the west, every game could be important in the standings. I think this is also responsible for Diop seeing no minutes, George seeing way too many minutes, Bass not playing as much, etc. If the Mavs were just a little worse--enough so that the playoffs looked like they weren't going to happen for them this year--then I think the smart move would be as many minutes as possible for Green, Wright, Diop, Williams, Bass...even JJB, at point, rather than alongside Kidd. That way you'd see what we have for the future, guys would learn, we'd get a better shot at the lottery...but that would be a total give-up this year, which they're not ready to acknowledge this year. Becomes the same problem the Yankees have had the last few years--there's no patience for a "rebuilding" year or two in the organization.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #125
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they're torn at all with concerns to that. Right now, they are 100% about winning this season.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #126
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
There's a critical difference between JJB and Green, namely that JJB's toolbox of basketball fundamentals seems to be pretty nearly complete. A guy who's got the foundation in place is going to get more out of in-game experience than a guy who's very much a work in progress, because in-game experience isn't about developing a skill-set, it's about learning how to get the best use out of the skills you already possess. JJB has had success because he has the skills, and because he's been able to take a step forward in terms of using those skills in a way that helps the team (I'm hoping there are more steps he'll be able to make, because there's still considerable room for improvement with his decision making). Gerald, on the other hand, doesn't have the skills, so I'd argue that the in-game experience isn't going to do him nearly as much good at this point.
I think Green would have already improved if he were still starting. He needs to take his lumps and play thru it "in-game". I agree that he probably couldn't gain as much as JJB from in-game exp but I think with our record and the injuries we have had it would have only helped us overall going forward for him to have continued his starting.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:06 PM   #127
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I see what GMC is saying, but in the end, I still believe Carlisle is making a mistake by not playing Green. Especially when you consider how thin our bench is anyway. Based on what I've seen, I really don't think Green is that far from being a 10+ scorer every night. Bottom line, as far as his position is concerned, I think Green is our best option.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #128
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

As long as Green has his hands up, Kidd easily gets him 6 points.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #129
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I don't think they're torn at all with concerns to that. Right now, they are 100% about winning this season.
Good point. I guess it's ME that is torn.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #130
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VhZh-mBaUU

Watch this video and tell me why Gerald Green isn't starting.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsufferingmavsfan View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VhZh-mBaUU

Watch this video and tell me why Gerald Green isn't starting.
Because anyone can have a good game/good highlight reel?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58IJjYKCEjU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtnyZ-LnozQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaBFiA_hcAM

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #132
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Anyone can have a good Game/highlight reel? Im going to use your own logic. Antoine Wright is the starting 2 guard but when Green was the starting 2 guard he had more "good" games than Wright. So why isn't he starting?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #133
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Antoine Wright is the starting 2 guard but when Green was the starting 2 guard he had more "good" games than Wright.
Bullsh!t...

Wright: 7.4ppg / +6.69eff / good defender / 25 double-digit scoring games
Green: 5.2ppg / +3.79eff / bad defender / 9 double-digit scoring games

(if you're going to lie, try to make it plausible...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #134
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Bullsh!t...

Wright: 7.4ppg / +6.69eff / good defender
Green: 5.2ppg / +3.79eff / bad defender

(if you're going to lie, try to make it plausible...)
Hey internet thug, did you get my message?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #135
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Greene is lazy defensivly and takes horrific shot attempts, Wright is quite simply the much better player
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #136
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hey internet thug, did you get my message?
I refuted your statement with facts and you're calling ME the thug? Rich...

Why don't you respond to the words I posted - what do you see in those numbers that makes Green a better choice than Wright?

Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #137
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone can have a good Game/highlight reel? Im going to use your own logic. Antoine Wright is the starting 2 guard but when Green was the starting 2 guard he had more "good" games than Wright. So why isn't he starting?
Green isn't starting because he's not very good at basketball. At least not when compared to most other NBA players.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #138
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I refuted your statement with facts and you're calling ME the thug? Rich...

Why don't you respond to the words I posted - what do you see in those numbers that makes Green a better choice than Wright?
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why he called you a thug. That was sort of out of place.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #139
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure why he called you a thug. That was sort of out of place.
It's related to another thread. Underdog is only a thug in the political forums when a mod gets on one of his buddies...

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #140
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Underdog is only a thug in the political forums when a mod gets on one of his buddies...
To be fair - I stood up for SilkSmoov the same way during the elections...

(and believe me - nobody was happier to see him banned than I was...)

Last edited by Underdog; 04-15-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #141
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
To be fair - I stood up for SilkSmoov the same way during the elections...

(and believe me - nobody was happier to see him banned than me...)

True. Your true motivation is simply to fight the authority, no matter the venue.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #142
LSMF
Diamond Member

Time to own Underdog:

Gerald green vs Antoine Wright :
Green on Nov 3 vs Cavs: 16 mins, 10 Pts, 4 Rebs, 4-7 shooting, 2/2 Ft
Green on Nov 7 vs Nuggets: 14 mins, 13 Pts, 5-9 shooting, 1/1 Ft
Green on Nov 9 vs Clippers : 34 mins, 13 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 5-12 shooting
Green on Nov 11 vs Lakeshow: 25 mins, 17 pts, 6 rebounds, 1 stl, 6-15 shoting, 4/4 FT
Green on Nov 19 vs Rox: 13 mins, 6pts, 2 assists, 1 stl, 1 block
Green on Jan 11 vs Kings : 13 mins, 9pts, 4 rebs, 4-9 shooting
Green on Jan 13 vs Nuggets :16 mins, 8pts, 3-8 shooting
Green on Feb 5 vs Jazz: 10 mins, 6pts, 2-3 shooting, 1-1ft

Wright on Nov 25 vs Pacers: 39 mins, 24 pts, 4 rebs, 10-18 shooting, 0-5 from 3pt land
Wright on Jan 1 vs Knickerbockers: 21 mins, 13 pts, 2 assists, 6-8 shooting
Wright on Jan 11 vs Kings : 25 mins: 6 pts, 2 assists, 4 rebs, 3-7 shooting
Wright on Jan 13 vs Nuggets : 28 mins, 6pts, 1-7 shooting, 3 ast, 4rebs
Wright on Jan 14 vs Whorenets: 37 mins, 15pts, 3 asts, 3 rebs
Wright on Jan 28 vs Warriors : 25 mins, 9 pts, 1ast, 2 rebs, 4-7 shooting
Wright on Jan 31 vs Cheat: 17 mins, 6pts, 2 asts, 2-5 shooting
Wright on Feb 2 vs Magic : 29 mins, 6pts, 6 rebs, 2-4 shooting
Wright on Feb 5 vs Jazz: 14 mins, 0pts, 1 reb, 0-5 shooting
Wright on Feb 10 vs Kings: 24mins, 23pts, 3stl, 1ast, 8-14shooting, 6/6 ft
Wright on Feb 12 vs Celts: 31 mins, 10pts, 3 rebs, 4-10 shooting
Wright on Feb 27 vs Thunder: 27 mins, 5pts, 1reb, 2-5 shooting
Wright on March 10 vs Suns: 28 mins, 12 pts, 4 rebs, 4-6 shooting
Wright on March 11 vs Blazers: 30 mins, 2pts, 1 reb, 1-7 shooting

What this shows is that Wright gets more minutes than Green but Green has shown in that the few minutes he gets, if he's a starter like he was at the beginning of the season or if he's playing garbage time minutes like he is now: he can flat out score.
This is a team that consistently has scoring droughts, Green has proving that he can score and yet he cant get any playing time. If Green is being benched for his defense, then why is that at times we play a 3 guard lineup? Is someone going to try to say that Green's defense would be worse than 5'10 Barea at SG? Wright is not a bad player but Green is a better finisher, better athlete, better rebounder, shooter and scorer than Wright. Gerald green is better than Antoine Wright.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #143
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Time to own Underdog:

Green on Nov 9 vs Clippers : 34 mins, 13 pts, 12 rebounds, 2 assists, 5-12 shooting
Green on Nov 11 vs Lakeshow: 25 mins, 17 pts, 6 rebounds, 1 stl, 6-15 shoting, 4/4 FT

Wright on Nov 25 vs Pacers: 39 mins, 24 pts, 4 rebs, 10-18 shooting, 0-5 from 3pt land

What this shows is that Wright gets more minutes than Green but Green has shown in that the few minutes he gets, if he's a starter like he was at the beginning of the season or if he's playing garbage time minutes like he is now: he can flat out score.
This is a team that consistently has scoring droughts, Green has proving that he can score and yet he cant get any playing time. If Green is being benched for his defense, then why is that at times we play a 3 guard lineup? Is someone going to try to say that Green's defense would be worse than 5'10 Barea at SG? Wright is not a bad player but Green is a better finisher, better athlete, better rebounder, shooter and scorer than Wright. Gerald green is better than Antoine Wright.
Want to try again? Wright and Green are both shooting 30% from 3, Wright is shooting 2% less than Green but it easy to argue Green gets that number higher for the sole reason of who he is generally playing against. Green averages about 2 rebounds more per 48 minutes not a huge difference, while Wright has about a 1.5-1 assist/ TO ratio, Greene is .5/1, which shows his horrific decision making, Wright is a much much better defender as he almost always guards the teams best 1/2/3 scorer. Wright is a much better bball player than Green, it isn't even close.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #144
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Want to try again? Wright and Green are both shooting 30% from 3, Wright is shooting 2% less than Green but it easy to argue Green gets that number higher for the sole reason of who he is generally playing against. Green averages about 2 rebounds more per 48 minutes not a huge difference, while Wright has about a 1.5-1 assist/ TO ratio, Greene is .5/1, which shows his horrific decision making, Wright is a much much better defender as he almost always guards the teams best 1/2/3 scorer. Wright is a much better bball player than Green, it isn't even close.
Try what again? Are you saying that Wright is a better finisher and shooter than Green is?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #145
mavs777
Diamond Member

Quote:
Try what again? Are you saying that Wright is a better finisher and shooter than Green is?
They are both just as bad at shooting (the numbers prove that)
Old 04-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #146
Underdog

Quote:
Time to own Underdog:

I like how you pick & choose the numbers that best support your argument while ignoring the rest of the data...

Here's some more numbers:

Green: 4 teams in 3 years (traded twice, CUT once...)

Wright: 2 teams in 3 years (traded once...)

But I guess you're smarter than at least 3 other NBA coaches, not including Rick Carlisle who you're obviously smarter than because you're a head coach in the NBA and he's not...

[funny - I don't FEEL "owned"...]

Last edited by Underdog; 04-15-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #147
LSMF
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like how you pick & choose the numbers that best support your argument while ignoring the rest of the data...

Here's some more numbers:

Green: 4 teams in 3 years (traded twice, CUT once...)

Wright: 2 teams in 3 years (traded once...)

But I guess you're smarter than at least 3 other NBA coaches, not including Rick Carlisle who you're obviously smarter than because you're a head coach in the NBA and he's not...

[funny - I don't FEEL "owned"...]
Green is better than Wright
Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM   #148
Underdog

Quote:
You should type that statement 30 more times in a row because I don't quite get it...

Old 04-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #149
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Wrong, of course. How can you look at percentages and say Green is a worse shooter? He's had hardly any 3PT attempts this year. Last year, Green shot 39% from 3PT line (better than Dirk, Josh and JET this year). The year before that, on 250 attempts, Green shot 37%. Both solid shooting percentages. For his career, Green shoots 36%.

Best Wright has shot in a season? 32%. Career 3PT shooting? 29%.

Green is clearly the better shooter over Wright. Inside the arc, have you ever seen Wright make contested jumpers? Not often. Green can hit fadeaways, step-backs, and an assortment of other contested jumpers (although I sure wish he would stop taking those shots...he does shoots too low of a %).

I'd take Green over Wright any day on an open 3 pointer or an open jump shot.

Last edited by tcat075; 04-15-2009 at 06:08 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #150
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Mavsfan, I'm a huge Green fan. I think he should play more, but right now, Wright is a better overall player. I'll admit that.

I understand scoring isn't everything. Green has to play better defense. I've seen him play great defense at time.

Wright plays good defense. Name another wing who plays good defense, consistantly (thus ruling out Josh Howard, who sometimes plays good defense). We don't have one.

Wright earned a spot partly out of necessity, partly because he DOES play great defense.

However, here is one thing I'd like to point out about Green and Wright. People criticize Green for taking bad shots, and its true. But how is Wright taking 3 pointers any better? For Wright, a 3PTer is a BAD SHOT. And people criticize Wright for taking 3's, but not on the same level as they criticize Green...
Old 04-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #151
tcat075
Diamond Member

Did you realize that Wright still doesn't have a 100 3PT makes in his CAREER?

Green almost had 100 3PT makes in one season... (he had 95)
Old 04-15-2009, 06:23 PM   #152
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

This is a weird argument. I think we can all agree that Green is the better offensive player and Wright the better defensive player. The reason we play wright is because we need the defense more than we need the offense. We go through droughts because we are a jump shooting team (especially with josh out) - it is bound to happen.
Green isn't the answer though since he is also mostly a jump shooter

Last edited by Lor20; 04-15-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #153
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
This is a weird argument. I think we can all agree that Green is the better offensive player and Wright the better defensive player. The reason we play wright is because we need the defense more than we need the offense. We go through droughts because we are a jump shooting team (especially with josh out) - it is bound to happen.
Green isn't the answer though since he is also mostly a jump shooter
Green has the ability to drive. Someone needs to make it clear that if he sees the floor, his role should be the following:

1) Drive. Draw fouls, finish strong.

2) Don't get burned on defense. We aren't expecting a lock-down job, just adequate not to give up easy buckets.

3) Shoot open jumpers, and only open jumpers. 3's and mid-range. You can't tell the kid not to shoot open jumpers at all...that'd be similar to telling Josh not to shoot open jumpers at all. Josh can hit them at a high %, and so can Green. But, just like Josh, the trouble comes when he attempts stupid jumpers.

4) Pass when a shot isn't available.

5) Use his jumping to get rebounds and put-backs. Especially put-backs. I understand if he trails off for a fast break on defense, but on offense he's got to hit the boards hard.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #154
tcat075
Diamond Member

And yes, I agree with the assessment that Wright = defense, Green = offense, Mavs need defense.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:47 PM   #155
Itachi

Itachi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcat075 View Post
And yes, I agree with the assessment that Wright = defense, Green = offense, Mavs need defense.
Maybe we should find a way to combine both players. We'd get Green Wright? Get it? hahaha, don't hurt me
Itachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #156
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

G$ also seems to completely bust the plays down. It swings to him, it's going up. That wouldn't sit long let me tell ya with the rest of the team.

If he'd cut his shot attempts by about 2/3'rd...he'd probalby get more playing time.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #157
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

Gerald has been a great cheerleader this year. I'm satisfied with that.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #158
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't, never could do nothin.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #159
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Did anyone even notice this guy getting hurt? Is he okay?

...hahah...

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #160
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

He should be fine. Plus, Carlisle isn't playing him, there isn't much reason to be worried about the injury outside of being worried about his well being.