Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #161
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
He played a great game, but he's still the same old Stack. I yelled at my TV 5-6 times at terrible shots he took that he somehow made. Like 5-0 mentioned earlier, he has one good game every 35 or so, and the other 34 those bad shots always miss.
Sounds over the top. One good game for every 35 is about 3 per year, that's ridiculous.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #162
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The hate on stack mostly comes from seeing him take the ball, dribble, take mid-range jumper one, miss it, and keep shooting, and you're left to watch him keep on shooting, being pleasantly surprised to see one out of every 20 or so drop in. He's not "on fire" very often. But he sure thinks he is. This is his gift and his curse. When he is shooting lights out he'll keep shooting.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #163
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Sounds over the top. One good game for every 35 is about 3 per year, that's ridiculous.
Yeah, it's an exageration, but you get my point.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #164
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
The hate on stack mostly comes from seeing him take the ball, dribble, take mid-range jumper one, miss it, and keep shooting, and you're left to watch him keep on shooting, being pleasantly surprised to see one out of every 20 or so drop in. He's not "on fire" very often. But he sure thinks he is. This is his gift and his curse. When he is shooting lights out he'll keep shooting.
Right. The problem with him is that he keeps shooting no matter what. If his shot is off (which is most of the time) he still keeps shooting. It also wouldn't be as bad if he just didn't take as many threes, and didn't shoot so many bad shots.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 11-11-2006, 04:51 PM   #165
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy ALL
i have no idea why all you guys hate on stack so much?! he's clutch, he's fearless, and he's fucking tough! he takes it to the rack hard, has a nice jumpshot with extended range, has a beautiful free throw technique, and will kick you fucking ass after a game if you fuck with him on the court! I for one love your game stack, brush all the haters off and keep doing what you do.
Hes not clutch, he doesnt go to the rack hard anymore and he has a horrible jumpshot. Love all the F-bombs btw.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:47 PM   #166
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Hes not clutch, he doesnt go to the rack hard anymore and he has a horrible jumpshot. Love all the F-bombs btw.
Sorry to jump in the discussion without even reading anything but the last post, but c'mon now 5-0, Stack has a fairly decent jumper. In fact, I would call it above average from a little more than midrange on in. The problem with Stack is his decision making, period.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #167
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Sorry to jump in the discussion without even reading anything but the last post, but c'mon now 5-0, Stack has a fairly decent jumper. In fact, I would call it above average from a little more than midrange on in. The problem with Stack is his decision making, period.
His jumper looks good, it just doesnt go in the hoop...
Old 11-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #168
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

When he takes shots he sould be taking, they do go in the hoop 5-0...he's won the scoring title twice before and he can shoot. He misses too many layups and takes bad shots too often, that's the only problem....
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #169
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanatik33
When he takes shots he sould be taking, they do go in the hoop 5-0...he's won the scoring title twice before and he can shoot. He misses too many layups and takes bad shots too often, that's the only problem....
he won the scoring title because he shot a bagillion times a game. He was a 40% shooter then too. And because he got to the line then, hes not the same player he was then.

Also im curious, when was the second time he won the scoring title? His second highest scoring average of his career was 23.6

Last edited by Five-ofan; 11-11-2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #170
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well, I think when he misses it's usually a function of his athleticism failing him -- i.e. when he doesn't get enough elevation off the ground. To me, it seems like when Stack gets above everyone for the jumper, he rarely misses. This is one of his problems though -- I think ddh33 mentioned it in the last post-game thread -- he doesn't seem to fully realize what his body is or isn't capable of doing.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #171
Five-ofan
Guru

You know something funny, he has the second highest fg% of his career this year...
Old 11-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #172
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Well, I think when he misses it's usually a function of his athleticism failing him -- i.e. when he doesn't get enough elevation off the ground. To me, it seems like when Stack gets above everyone for the jumper, he rarely misses. This is one of his problems though -- I think ddh33 mentioned it in the last post-game thread -- he doesn't seem to fully realize what his body is or isn't capable of doing.
The problem with that is even when he was athletic he was a terrible % shooter, he has the second highest fg% of his career this year. To be honest i dont care if it is because of his athletecism failing him, he misses to darn much for whatever reason and he needs to realize it and quit shooting so effing much.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #173
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
You know something funny, he has the second highest fg% of his career this year...
Haha, I would have never guessed it, but he definitely was on fire -- for him -- the other night. The reason I'm taking up for Stack is that I watched game six of Phoenix series last night along with the end of game seven from the Spurs series. I know that is small sample to look at, but he looked really money on his jumpers in those games.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #174
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

He won't quit until someone tell him to, I think we brought him here to be an offensive threat
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #175
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Haha, I would have never guessed it, but he definitely was on fire -- for him -- the other night. The reason I'm taking up for Stack is that I watched game six of Phoenix series last night along with the end of game seven from the Spurs series. I know that is small sample to look at, but he looked really money on his jumpers in those games.
Yep 43.6, second highest of his career.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #176
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Quote:
The problem with that is even when he was athletic he was a terrible % shooter, he has the second highest fg% of his career this year. To be honest i dont care if it is because of his athletecism failing him, he misses to darn much for whatever reason and he needs to realize it and quit shooting so effing much.
True, his career fg percentage is pretty terrible, but factor in that he was on teams that depended on him jacking up shots like A.I. and maybe we get a different picture -- I don't know. Either way, I think Stack definitely needs to improve on knowing when and when not to do some of the things he tries to do. If he can do that ( a big if, imo ), I think he can be a pretty effective player for the Mavs.

Last edited by jleefilled; 11-11-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #177
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsFanatik33
He won't quit until someone tell him to, I think we brought him here to be an offensive threat
I think we took him to get harris. Doesnt matter what we brought him in for, hes not good enough to be that.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:28 PM   #178
jleefilled
Platinum Member

Completely off topic, but man, Dirk was such a stud in game six of the Phoenix series. From six minutes left in the third until the end of the game, the guy went Bezerk!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #179
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Completely off topic, but man, Dirk was such a stud in game six of the Phoenix series. From six minutes left in the third until the end of the game, the guy went Bezerk!
Haha, random...but yeah, he did.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #180
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Stack's problem is his decision making. He takes too many bad shots and commits to many TO's. If he would just take less bad shots and improve his decision making he'd have a higher FG %, and I wouldn't hate on him.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #181
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Such a simple pretty obvious joke to make, yet so true and so funny

Old 11-11-2006, 07:17 PM   #182
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Stack's problem is his decision making. He takes too many bad shots and commits to many TO's. If he would just take less bad shots and improve his decision making he'd have a higher FG %, and I wouldn't hate on him.
and then he wouldnt be stack.... Thats like saying if Earl Boykins grew a foot, he wouldnt be a defensive liability... The things you mentioned are what make stack stack.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 PM   #183
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

You guys still don't get it. His value or lack of value is not in his shooting percentage. Go back and read my longer previous post. His value is in "ISO" penetration and breaking down defenses to make the Mavs offense go forward. That is also Devin's value. Dirk does it very well. Terry does O.K. and is mainly a jumpshooter as far as his offensive contribution. Josh is improving on it. But, Stack excels at "ISO" penetration to force a double team. That opens the offense. Stack is excellent passing off the penetration move. Devin needs to improve. Dirk is awesome scoring or passing off his penetration. Terry does well also when he penetrates. Josh is emerging.

No penetration in ISO for the Mavs and the Mavs can't score points. Stack is valuable.

Dirk, Terry, and Stack combined for 88 points in the Suns game. Stack can't play that many minutes regularly so we need Josh back. Stack needs to take a fourth spot in scoring behind Dirk, Terry, and Josh.

But, we'll still use Devin and Stack to make the offense go when we face a stiff defense.
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #184
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...well, I really don't think he's been breaking down alot of defenses since the second half of last season. Plus, once he gets there, he's not finishing. And no, I don't take great value in his ability to pass once he penetrates because he's not a good decision maker.

Good try. It's a great theory and probably describes him in the past... but that's not the Stack that the Mavs currently have. He's more of a jumpshooter now. Plus, he'll back his way down and shoot the mid-range fade away. And that's the problem. A dynamic leaper that has always beena poor to mediocre shooter has lost alot of his leaping ability to go with some quickness. So, he's reduced to primarily a jumpshooter that ineffectively drives to the hoop more often than not. And once again, he's not a good jumpshooter so you can see the issue.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #185
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish we could get a basketball501 interpretation on this.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #186
Pro

Pro is on a distinguished road

Dont know why yall hate stack so much. In fact he is my favorite player on the team.
Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:17 PM   #187
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro
Dont know why yall hate stack so much. In fact he is my favorite player on the team.
Good for you

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #188
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro
Talk about having crappy taste in players...

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-12-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #189
Mavs Rule
Platinum Member

Mavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to allMavs Rule is a name known to all

Hey, Stack is playing well, he didn't even miss a dunk tonight.

Mavericks team pic. Guess which one is Stack.
Mavs Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 11:48 PM   #190
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs Rule
Hey, Stack is playing well, he didn't even miss a dunk tonight.
Yeah, the sun shines on the Pre-Cambrian's ass from time to time... Hell, lightning even struck twice in the same place in back to back games. I expect to see a two headed whale swimming in my aquarium at work tomorrow. The sun will rise in the north..... at 1:00 pm. God will send us another book to add to the Bible that contains passages saying that homosexuality is indeed 'cool with him'.

The world may end if the Pre-Cambrian has three good games in a row.

Last edited by Murphy3; 11-12-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #191
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe Stack is better as a starter? Should we begin a Stack should start instead of JHO thread?? Any takers?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #192
Murphy3
Guru

Umm...no. Stack was miserable last year as a starter when the Mavs were suffering through some injuries in the second half.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #193
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I was just joking. I still tense up whenever he gets the ball in crucial situations.
Stack = Turnover. But tonight he somehow kept it together.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 AM   #194
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro
I like stack as well, he brings a nice edge to the team. Wish he got to the line more, but I wish many of the mavs did as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 11-13-2006, 12:49 AM   #195
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I like stack as well, he brings a nice edge to the team. Wish he got to the line more, but I wish many of the mavs did as well.
the problem is thats not listed as the main positive of the other players you wish would get to the line....
Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 AM   #196
dude1394
Guru

Whatever guys.. You'all can rag on stackhouse all day long but the thoughts that we should have kept marquis instead of him or that we'd be BETTER without him on the team is pretty silly imo.

He's got faults like every other non superstar but he's still a guy who can get you 20+ on some nights very efficiently. If there are a bunch of those players sitting out there, then fine, let's bring 'em in. But until I see something better I think I'll continue to like him. I can't think of anyone on the bench I'd rather have out there than him. So what's the point of the constant hating other than hating? Don't get it really.

During the game is one thing but just to hate the guy because he's not as good as you wish he was seems silly.

I've heard that if he weren't here then dirk would get his shots and so that would be better. I doubt it honestly, unless we get a lot better outside shooters and playing offense is hard work as well. I like about where dirk is right now. If he isn't getting it I don't think it's only because of stackhouse.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:21 AM   #197
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I liked stack a lot tonight.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:34 AM   #198
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

9 assit gotta love it
Old 11-13-2006, 07:23 AM   #199
akajettery31

akajettery31 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down to all the stack haters

u guys who hate stack should juss go on somewhere because this guy has stepped up when he had 2.without him we dont win these last 2 games

give him some credit i mean 16p and 9ast last night come on.

dont yall loosers feel stupid
akajettery31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 07:49 AM   #200
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default to all the retard posters

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27392

Tags
<clutch tagging>