Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2004, 11:34 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Two big games needed for Mavs' Big Three

Two big games needed for Mavs' Big Three
Mavs will look to Nash, Finley, Nowitzki to get them back in it at home

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Mavericks point guard Steve Nash shot 32.4 percent from the field in the first two games of the playoffs, which would have looked awful if not for the performance of teammate Michael Finley.

Finley's 32.0 percent marksmanship was compounded because he couldn't get off a shot with a chance to be a hero Tuesday.

Nash and Finley are two of the Mavericks' Big Three. The third member, Dirk Nowitzki, has been solid, for the most part. But the Mavericks are down, 2-0, to Sacramento and face the unpalatable task of needing four wins in five games to survive the Kings.

Still, if anybody is questioning the trio's future – whether it be in Game 3 on Saturday night at American Airlines Center or beyond – Don Nelson has two words for you: You're wrong.

"I'll never forget at Golden State when I traded Mitch Richmond for Billy Owens," the Mavericks coach said Thursday. "I was listening to my basketball people and they convinced me that it was the thing to do. They said we needed to get bigger. So we traded a proven player for a question, even though [Owens] was bigger.

"It was the biggest mistake I ever made. We got bigger. But we weren't [as good]."

By acquiring Owens, Nelson broke up the threesome of Richmond, Chris Mullin and Tim Hardaway. The Warriors spent the next decade or so trying to recover.

"I will never do that again," Nelson said. "When you have three great players, you build around them. You don't get rid of them. That's a dumb philosophy."

The Big Three is not delivering the most vital statistic – wins. Yet they give the team its best chance of getting back into the series.

Not that the pressure isn't on them. Nash and Finley – not to mention Nelson – know the same external stress was there last season when the team went to Game 7s with Portland and Sacramento. The Mavericks won both series.

"I can't control what happened yesterday," said Finley, who missed 17 of 25 shots in Games 1 and 2 in Sacramento. "I can't really control what's going to happen tomorrow. My mind-set is controlling what I can do today, [to] play in the now."

The Mavericks had an hour-long practice devoted mostly to Finley on Thursday. The coaches tried to get his shot fixed with repetition. Nash and Nowitzki put in extended shooting practice in a late-night session Wednesday after returning from Sacramento.

That work ethic is another reason Nelson said he'd be inclined to keep the three players together.

"We're in new territory, uncharted territory," Nash said. "This is a new team. It's one thing to say that you, Dirk and Mike have been here before. We have, but not with the next group of guys. So if they don't understand what's transpired before, it's irrelevant."

Nash said he likes the Mavericks' situation and the group of core players. And Nelson is in agreement that nothing has been decided, neither in this series nor for the future of the franchise.

"We can still win the series ... that's the bottom line," Nelson said. "There are no automatics. That's for sure. But we've been very good at home. We have to assume we're going to play better at home. We need both games.

"Whether we won a game on their court or not, it doesn't matter. It's going to be a great series."
Old 04-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Two big games needed for Mavs' Big Three

Quote:
The third member, Dirk Nowitzki, has been solid, for the most part
What does the guy have to do to escape comments such as this? Dirk hasn't been solid. Dirk has been dominant this post season just as he usually is.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Through 2 games Dirk is the leading scorer of the playoffs at 30 points, to go with 11.5 rebounds, 3.5 blocks and 2 steals.

It is just that his dumb ass coach doesn't see the need to get him the ball.

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

30 points, 11.5 rbs, 3.5 blk, 2.0 stls, shooting close to 54%. Yeah pretty "solid".

Problem is that people still think "big three" when they think about the Mavs. In reality it is "Big Dirk" plus 3 - 4 pretty good players plus a couple role players. Especially Nellie and Dirk himself will have to get this through their heads. I´m sure the media would take notice. As long as you hear that "Big Three" BS from the Mavs themselves the media won´t drop it either. In this case Dirk will be held responsible for the shortcomings of the other two members of the "big three" to a certain degree, plus his individual performance will be underrated by most.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 AM   #5
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

I definitely think you're right, Fidel. This will never be referred to as 'Dirk's team' as long as there's the 'big three'. Well, probably with Fin, mostly; even Dirk still considers him the leader of this team (as he said in a quote in one of the threads here), and when your best player doesn't consider himself the leader, no perceptions of him will be changed.

I'm not saying get rid of fin, just wish maybe fin would have a serious talk with Dirk or something, just tell him to "take the freaking reigns, I just can't anymore."

I suppose this all has been beaten to death already, though...