Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough
Default steve francis to return to the houston rockets

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4982185.html

cuttino mobley is not going to be very happy.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Geez...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

i don't like this move at all... James and francis are practically the same player. francis better have agreed to not dribble the ball for an hour then chuck it up.
francis + james + bonzi + Tmac = bad chemistry

this is a step backwards

Last edited by DOMINATOR; 07-20-2007 at 01:44 AM.
DOMINATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Mobley is probably begging The Clippers to let him go back to Houston.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

The Rockets were doing well in adding player... but this is overkill.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #6
AstroRocket

AstroRocket has a spectacular aura aboutAstroRocket has a spectacular aura aboutAstroRocket has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATOR
i don't like this move at all... James and francis are practically the same player. francis better have agreed to not dribble the ball for an hour then chuck it up.

this is a step backwards

Francis did a great job adjusting his game for the good of the team in 03-04, then almost averaged a triple double in the playoffs. He'll do fine and really infuse the team with some competitive fire.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 07-20-2007 at 11:50 AM.
AstroRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

i guess it could work... adelman sure has a project on his hands.

JL3 is supposedly going to the hornets.
Rafer/Sura will probably be traded... dunno about luther head.

right now at PG: Stevie, James, Rafer, Brooks, JL3, and sorta Head
Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

life is funny

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2942354
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
i guess it could work... adelman sure has a project on his hands
No kidding. Bonzi is still coming back right? If Aldeman can get this team together and make a run he deserves coach of the year.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Devereux

Devereux is on a distinguished road

Well, if nothing else, this team will be deep.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

What a strange group for Adelman to be coaching!

He uses a passing/cutting hi/lo offense, and now has an inside threat in Yao, and a bunch of one on one dribbling fools. I am not sure that James, Francis, or even TMac will work in Adelmans offense. Either that or he changes his offense to better utilize the skills his team possesses.

<edit> Think of it this way. James works better with the ball in his hands. TMac works best with the ball in his hands. Francis works best with the ball in his hands. The Ball NEEDS to be in the hands of Yao most possessions to start the offense and go inside out, but I don't see the outside shooters on that team.

It wouldn't surprise me if Yao ends up the most non properly utilized player in the league.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson

Last edited by dalmations202; 07-19-2007 at 03:32 PM.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:33 PM   #13
Stranger
Golden Member

Stranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to allStranger is a name known to all

I'm glad he's not coming here. The Rockets, as usual, will be dangerous and interesting.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

The Rockets, as usual, can suck it!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #15
Nelly

Nelly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
The Rockets were doing well in adding player... but this is overkill.
It's not overkill if the players are signing for cheap....Scola getting about 2.6 mil a year, Francis about 2.6-3 mil a year, bonzi for 2.5 mil a year, mike james 4 or 5 mil a year.
Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:17 PM   #16
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

holy crap that team is stacked... very deep.. could be scary.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM   #17
Dortmund

Dortmund will become famous soon enoughDortmund will become famous soon enough

and with deep i dont mean "crappy mavericks deep." i mean actually talented players deep...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
DOMINATOR

T-Mac talks about Francis signing (Video)
Old 07-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #19
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

If they don't implode, they should be very very very good.

(But I think that Houston will trade 1-2 players away to make room for some of the egos of their players.)
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #20
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

hahahahahaha. This makes me so very happy. Less touches for Yao which means nothing but good things for opponents of the Rockets. Yes.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #21
ballin_boi
Banned

ballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the roughballin_boi is a jewel in the rough

Everyone seems to be underestimating these moves much like last year with GS getting Harrington, Jackson and Nelson. I just hope to god we make some kind of impact move as well without disrupting the core, otherwise I fear this could bite us in the ass.
ballin_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #22
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly
It's not overkill if the players are signing for cheap....Scola getting about 2.6 mil a year, Francis about 2.6-3 mil a year, bonzi for 2.5 mil a year, mike james 4 or 5 mil a year.
Well, consider this....

When the Rockets hired new GM Morey, it was a straight "Moneyball" move out of the Oakland A' playbook, as Morey is an MIT grad who had no experience in the professional sports industry. Like Billy Beane of the A's, he evaulates players based solely stats.The Rockets were the first team in the NBA to bring the Moneyball way of thinking into the GM position...and most did not think it would work.

Well, seems like stats are not the only numbers he's crunching. Morey's doing a damn good job with his salary crunching too.....we could use some of that up here in NYC! Looks like the Rockets "Moneyball experiment" is a success...in the offseason that is. Could be during the season as well.

BTW, love the move.

Face it, while Morey is the GM, Adelman has a large say so on moves. So why did Adelman approve of this move? Cause he likes slashers who can penetrate and finish...which Steve Francis can do. Since Francis is a low I.Q. point guard, I bet we will see McGrady run the offense more, as JVG had him do sometimes last season. So now, Adelman has his slashers in Francis & McGrady and he has his "high post player w/passing skills" in Yao, and maybe Scola. Yao might even have his enforecr/rebounder in Scola too. Bonzi Wells chose to come back...and its most likely due to the fact he likes playing for Adelman, which will probably keep him happy and productive this time around. Not to mention, this team is deep, which will ighten the burden on T-Mac and Yao, thus making things easier for them. I think the pieces fit together....this team will be interesting and fun to watch, much like Adelman's old Kings teams.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #23
DOMINATOR

could Battier be traded next? along with rafer/head. would have to get a solid PF in return. move T-mac to the 3. (his real position)
i dont think it would be a good move considering battier is the ultimate glue guy but it would an interesting thought to toy around with.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Their biggest downfall last season was athleticsm--this helps them out big time

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #25
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

trying to ride yao's coattails, that 'franchise'.....

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:29 PM   #26
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
could Battier be traded next? along with rafer/head. would have to get a solid PF in return. move T-mac to the 3. (his real position)
i dont think it would be a good move considering battier is the ultimate glue guy but it would an interesting thought to toy around with.
Nah...no chance, Battier stays.

The only way I saw Battierleaving was for a starting playerto fill the need at 4. With the stealing of Scola from San Antone, its not that huge of a need as the Rockets will likely resign both Mutombo and Chuck Hayes, as they've said they've intended on doing.

Any trade the Rockets make will likely include Alston, maybe Luther Head, and the expiring contract of Bob Sura. Miami has been shopping Udonis Haslem and needs more PG depth....the Francis signing (and MIA's failed attempt at Francis) could signal a trade between the two as I would think the Rockets would next look at beefing up the 4 spot.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, why would they want to trade away Shane.. when they have like 6 PG'S on their roster

Contact Me
Old 07-19-2007, 09:56 PM   #28
DOMINATOR

i was just putting it out there as an idea... not one i am for.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #29
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Woot woot. I am loving our new GM. So far we have obtained a PF (gotta see how he pans out), a PG that can shoot (James) and two guards that can score off the bench (Wells and Francis)....and all it cost us was Juwon Howard. You can't knock that at all. None of these pickups are all-star type players, but each one should be a quality role player to fit around our two stars. Last year we had huge issues with a PG that couldn't shoot and a bench that couldn't produce any points. Problems solves on paper at least. Hopefully chemistry won't be an issue......
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 PM   #30
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

this is a step backwards

Relax, steve has been humbled thru his tour thru the association. He has matured and wants to clean his image and win a championship. Pl do not judge him strictly based on his previous play in Houston. Perhaps you must wait and see if this works before you are on board....but be open minded.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 07-20-2007 at 11:53 AM.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 PM   #31
And1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortmund
and with deep i dont mean "crappy mavericks deep." i mean actually talented players deep...

the 2004 mavs team was bangin' though
Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #32
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

This may seem nice on paper, but Yao will not get ANY touches... Tmac will get less (and he needs lots of shots to heat up some nights), and Mike James is a head case on the level of Artest so when he sees Stevie jacking up shots he will show him he can shoot bricks way better.

It's great they have shooters, but really all they needed was someone to give Yao the damn ball more and they have taken a step back from that. I suspect they will also be a lot worse on defense as well. Will be interesting to see how it plays out though, if it all pans out it could really be dangerous.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #33
bradleywillcrushyou44

bradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the roughbradleywillcrushyou44 is a jewel in the rough

i say it doesn't help or hurt them, they will be about the same. every year the rockets make a move that is supposed to get them over the hump, T-Mac, Battier, Wells, but it never happens. end result, first round exit...
bradleywillcrushyou44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:32 PM   #34
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets trolls in July.... gay.

Aren't there some sort of Rockets boards on which to discuss this?
Old 07-19-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
kingmalaki

kingmalaki is infamous around these partskingmalaki is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Rockets trolls in July.... gay.

Aren't there some sort of Rockets boards on which to discuss this?
Why do you constantly whine about people posting about another team in the AROUND THE NBA THREAD????
kingmalaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #36
And1

ha +1 ^^
Old 07-20-2007, 01:15 AM   #37
alby
Guru

Yao got enough touches last year. 25 PPG 9 Rebs.

It wasn't about T-Mac or Yao last year--their supporting cast was the problem.

Contact Me
Old 07-20-2007, 01:28 AM   #38
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

About post #3...

Why do I get my posts edited while the Houston fans run amok?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:44 AM   #39
DOMINATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
About post #3...

Why do I get my posts edited while the Houston fans run amok?
sorry about that wasnt too happy about the signing at the time
Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #40
jmwilliamson

jmwilliamson will become famous soon enough

I think the Rockets would have beaten the Jazz in the 1st round if they had a legitimate third scorer. They have now added at least two in Mike James and Steve Francis. Who knows what Bonzi and Scola will add.

If they had beaten the Jazz, they probably would have beaten the Warriors as easily as the Jazz did and went on to the Western Conference Finals. I'm sure their run would have ended there, but nonetheless, these moves should make the Rockets very serious. They had glaring holes at PF and PG last season and with the additions of Scola, James and Francis those holes could all be gone. Take them lightly if you like, but in my mind a 52 game winner has drastically improved. And incidentally, John Hollinger at ESPN called the Rockets the most improved team in the league BEFORE they signed Francis for peanuts.
jmwilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote