richard_

richard_ will become famous soon enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKBLWmR-cR4
richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #122
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

simply amazing.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #123
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

That's a pretty nice catch.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #124
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

The best catch I think I've ever seen was when David Wright caught a blooper barehanded. Have you ever seen that play? Could someone find a video of it?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #125
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin mitchells barehand was just as good if not better than wrights. Wrights catch going into the stands was better imo.(better than jeters too) Are we talking best catches or plays? Catch is pretty much wrights dive into the stands, mitchells barehand, wrights barehand, and gmjs that i can recall. As for play ozzie's dive, barehand and throw is probably the best play ive ever seen(yes i watch ALOT of baseball.)
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM   #126
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
Kevin mitchells barehand was just as good if not better than wrights. Wrights catch going into the stands was better imo.(better than jeters too) Are we talking best catches or plays? Catch is pretty much wrights dive into the stands, mitchells barehand, wrights barehand, and gmjs that i can recall. As for play ozzie's dive, barehand and throw is probably the best play ive ever seen(yes i watch ALOT of baseball.)
Yeah, I was talking about the best catches, and both of Wright's are very nice catches. Definetly two of the best I've ever seen.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:12 PM   #127
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget Jim Edmonds, with a full out dive with his back to homeplate. That's gotta be in the conversation.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #128
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

not really. His is no more special than any of the other 10 (at least) times it has been done. If anything its less impressive because of the fact that he sets himself up to dive both by not being particularly fast(yes he is fast but hes not major league cf fast) and by slowing down to set up dives.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #129
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
not really. His is no more special than any of the other 10 (at least) times it has been done. If anything its less impressive because of the fact that he sets himself up to dive both by not being particularly fast(yes he is fast but hes not major league cf fast) and by slowing down to set up dives.
Are we talking about the same catch? I'm talking about when he dove AWAY from the infield, on a ball that was coming directly over the top of him.

In general, I agree on diving catches. They're generally done by the slower outfielder, like Rusty. But, catching a ball over your shoulder on the dead run is hard enough. Catching a ball coming over your shoulder with a dive is very impressive, and that has NEVER been done like that before.

Lumping that in with other diving catches is like dumping GMJ's catch in with any ol' wall catch.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 07-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #130
Five-ofan
Guru

you are talking about a play from when he was with the angels and yes it has been done before and since. it was amazing but it does happen. I have NEVER seen anyone do what gmj did and i watch roughly 400 baseball games(or pieces of them) a year plus bbt just about everyday.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #131
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

GMJ's catch was pretty nice, but plenty of guys are able to do that. I've seen Tori Hunter make plays just as good as that lots of times.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 PM   #132
Five-ofan
Guru

agree to disagree. Hunter is amazing but ive never seen him do that.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #133
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Here's a great Jim Edmonds mix, and he has a very nice rob of a home run at the end of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguMx...=jim%20edmonds

Old 07-07-2006, 11:00 PM   #134
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I don't see what's so special about GMJ's catch. I'm positive I've seen catches like that before.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:02 PM   #135
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Ok, I just watched it again, and it's a heck of a catch, but not the best I've ever seen.

I still think David Wright's catches were better.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:15 PM   #136
Five-ofan
Guru

have you seen the mitchell barehand catch?
Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 PM   #137
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Hunter's never made that catch. Griffey's had a few wall catches that might compare to GMJ's. The thing about GMJ's is the angle he took. Most people have the wall at their side, and backhand the ball. That gives you the best extension over the wall.

On GMJ's catch, he got the spot at the same time as the ball, and he had to put a spike into the wall at a really awkward angle, and then he had to twist his glove around because he couldn't catch it backhanded, and then his momentum kept him spinning. Notice he landed 180 degress from when he jumped, and he had to stop in the middle of that and catch the ball.

I remove my previous statement. This catch is clearly better than that Edmond's catch. Although I still say I've never seen that particular catch done again either.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 PM   #138
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
have you seen the mitchell barehand catch?
No, I haven't.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #139
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I think GMJ made that catch harder on himself though. It's a very nice catch, but he could have played it better, and that's why it looks more difficult than it needed to.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #140
Five-ofan
Guru

I wont do it on this computer but at some point you need to youtube search for it. If you dont find it in the next week or so i will find it.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #141
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I think GMJ made that catch harder on himself though. It's a very nice catch, but he could have played it better, and that's why it looks more difficult than it needed to.
Umm, how? He didn't take a bad angle, and he didn't misjudge the ball.

That was a line drive homerun to dead center field. 80% of the time the CF isn't even CLOSE to making that play, so I fail to see how he made it harder on himself. He didn't have time to line up an easier angle for his jump into the wall. He had to run directly for his spot, that's the only way he had time.

I lot of guys wouldn't even have tried that from where he was. Kind of dangerous to put a spike into the wall going at that speed, and from basically dead on. The way he's spinning, if his spike catches in the padding, things turn nasty.

You are underselling this catch.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 07-07-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #142
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wont do it on this computer but at some point you need to youtube search for it. If you dont find it in the next week or so i will find it.
I tried. I couldn't find Mitchell's, either of Wright's, or Hunter robbing a homer.

Old 07-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #143
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I really don't believe a barehanded catch is a big deal. Hell, I see fans catch HR's barehanded from time to time. I suppose it's a great catch for a fan, but not a biggie for a major league player.

The Edmonds catch mentioned was special as was the GMJ play. Hunter definitely makes his share of amazing catches, but I haven't seen him make one as amazing as the GMJ play.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #144
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

The GMJ play was as good as its going to get. I doubt anything tops that this season.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #145
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Also Chris Young has another nice game, he's having a hell of a season. Imagine if we had Young right now, we could be a couple games ahead of the A's right now.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #146
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Personally, I really don't believe a barehanded catch is a big deal. Hell, I see fans catch HR's barehanded from time to time. I suppose it's a great catch for a fan, but not a biggie for a major league player.

The Edmonds catch mentioned was special as was the GMJ play. Hunter definitely makes his share of amazing catches, but I haven't seen him make one as amazing as the GMJ play.
Yeah, barehanded catches prolly aren't big deals for major leaguers, but I think it's an impressive catch, at least from the fans stand point like you said.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:45 PM   #147
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

Rangers are tied for 1st going into the 2nd half, they hope they have a great start after the break, unlike last year
Old 07-10-2006, 12:03 AM   #148
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1MavsFan
Also Chris Young has another nice game, he's having a hell of a season. Imagine if we had Young right now, we could be a couple games ahead of the A's right now.
Or not.

We got our CLOSER in that trade. Where would we be without Akinori Otsuka? We might be 10 games out of 1st by now.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 AM   #149
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Tori Hunter said that the GMJ play was the best he's every seen. He asked GMJ "How did you do that?"
Old 07-10-2006, 12:49 AM   #150
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Tori Hunter said that the GMJ play was the best he's every seen. He asked GMJ "How did you do that?"
Tori Hunter is a pretty nice and humble guy, and that's the right answer. Of course he's not going to say "Well, it wasn't that great, I could've done it." He's put in a spot where he has to say what the interviewer/fans want to hear, acknowledging that it was a nice play.

I still think Hunter makes catches as good as that a lot, and that GMJ made the play harder on himself by not taking the best angle on the ball. I play baseball as a centerfielder, and I can tell that he could've played that ball better (I'm obviously not saying I could make that play, no way I could, but he could've judged the ball better and taken a better route to it).

Bottom line, it was a nice play, I've seen better, and he made it look harder and more impressive than he needed too, but it was still a nice play.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 AM   #151
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

all star game??? when?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 07-10-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:13 AM   #152
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
all star game??? when?
Tuesday at 8:20 ET

The Home Run Derby is on Monday at 8 ET i think with a Celebrity softball game afterwards.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-10-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:17 AM   #153
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Tuesday at 8:20 ET

The Home Run Derby is on Monday at 8 ET i think with a Celebrity softball game afterwards.
athanku

Old 07-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #154
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL
Or not.

We got our CLOSER in that trade. Where would we be without Akinori Otsuka? We might be 10 games out of 1st by now.
Unfortunately, the Padres were not interested in Chris Young and wanted, get this, Gerald Laird. The Rangers had to actually talk them into taking Young instead of Laird. How is that for some good horse trading? The way I understand it is the Padres wanted to trade straight up Adam Eaton for Gonzales and Sledge. The Rangers wanted Otsuka so the Pads asked for Laird. The Rangers couldn't part with Laird because they thought he had more value so they shipped out Young in his place believing they fleeced the Pads.

I think this is just another example of why the Rangers probably will finish 4th again this year. I also am thinking that the Rangers management are really overdue on doing something seriously stupid.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #155
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Here's a David Wright highlight reel:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TD2rIj9oS...david%20wright

It shows the catch where he jumps into the stands 1 minute and 49 seconds into it, and the barehanded play happens right after.

Here's another video with only the barehanded play:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pE65ltjgGFc

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 07-10-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:26 AM   #156
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
athanku
No problem, it seems like not many people are going to be watching it

Old 07-10-2006, 01:50 AM   #157
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
No problem, it seems like not many people are going to be watching it
i'll catch it only if nothing else is to be done....

it used to appeal to me...but no longer...

Old 07-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #158
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Tori Hunter is a pretty nice and humble guy, and that's the right answer. Of course he's not going to say "Well, it wasn't that great, I could've done it." He's put in a spot where he has to say what the interviewer/fans want to hear, acknowledging that it was a nice play.

I still think Hunter makes catches as good as that a lot, and that GMJ made the play harder on himself by not taking the best angle on the ball. I play baseball as a centerfielder, and I can tell that he could've played that ball better (I'm obviously not saying I could make that play, no way I could, but he could've judged the ball better and taken a better route to it).

Bottom line, it was a nice play, I've seen better, and he made it look harder and more impressive than he needed too, but it was still a nice play.
Bottom line. You're full of sh!t. Even being a humble guy, Tori Hunter had no reason to say that it's the "greates play he has ever seen." If he were to do that every time he saw a 'nice play', he'd be coming out and saying that dozens and dozens of times every year. Your statement was nothing short of idiotic.

I don't give a f'ing rats ass whether or not you play centerfield a the little league level or whatever. What route does a centerfielder take on a ball that's hit directly over his head? Gary Matthews didn't take a bad route to the ball in the least bit. The ball was hit directly over his head and then tailed a bit which caused him to reach back.

Bottom line: You don't have a freaking clue as to what you're talking about. No one gives a sh!t whether or not you've played centerfield or whatever. I was better at the game of baseball than you'll ever be. I know more about the game of baseball than you'll ever know. Don't give me that shit about you playing centerfield. No one freaking cares.

Last edited by Murphy3; 07-10-2006 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:27 AM   #159
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Bottom line. You're full of sh!t. Even being a humble guy, Tori Hunter had no reason to say that it's the "greates play he has ever seen." If he were to do that every time he saw a 'nice play', he'd be coming out and saying that dozens and dozens of times every year. Your statement was nothing short of idiotic.

I don't give a f'ing rats ass whether or not you play centerfield a the little league level or whatever. What route does a centerfielder take on a ball that's hit directly over his head? Gary Matthews didn't take a bad route to the ball in the least bit. The ball was hit directly over his head and then tailed a bit which caused him to reach back.

Bottom line: You don't have a freaking clue as to what you're talking about. No one gives a sh!t whether or not you've played centerfield or whatever. I was better at the game of baseball than you'll ever be. I know more about the game of baseball than you'll ever know. Don't give me that shit about you playing centerfield. No one freaking cares.
Yup. As I said earlier, he took the only route he could to the ball. It was a line drive directly over his head, and he says he took the wrong route?

Most wall catches you see are people coming in from an easier angle, to reach with their backhand.

No one makes catches as good as that "a lot". You can argue that it's not the best catch you've ever seen. That's fine. But to say that people make catches on that level "a lot", is asinine.

Joe Morgan called it the best catch he's ever seen. Joe Morgan has no reason to say that other than it's his real feeling.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 07-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #160
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if I should post this in the Home Run Derby thread or here, but Tex has 3 HRs and 7 RBIs on the first game back from the all-star game!

Geez Tex...