Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-15-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light
Default Lakers Rockets first round o O

this should be an AWESOME series..this is what everyone has wanted...shaq vs yao in the playoffs

what's the word on francis..he seemed to have his arm heavily wrapped when he was on the bench in the mavs game..i'd hate to see them play at less than 100%
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Lakers Rockets first round o O

Yao is ready
Old 04-15-2004, 11:38 AM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

this will be a great series...cant wait to watch it unfold

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:43 AM   #4
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Yao has outplayed Shaq in 2 games, but a motivated Shaq is a different story. In their last game, a motivated Shaq definitely outplayed Yao.

Do you think Shaq will be motivated in the playoffs? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:58 AM   #5
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Yao has outplayed Shaq in 2 games, but a motivated Shaq is a different story. In their last game, a motivated Shaq definitely outplayed Yao.

Do you think Shaq will be motivated in the playoffs? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Yes I do, but have we seen Yao really motivated, but one thing is for sure that Shaq is going to have a hard time dunking over Yao everytime down the floor. I believe Kobe will be the key to them getting out of the first round (well that's only if isn't court two much for the next couple of weeks)...

I would have to say the Rocket's and the Spur's are the 2 teams the Laker's didn't want to face because they matchup really well with them, and it looks like if the Spur's take care of business they will have to take on both (that's only if the Laker's take care of business as well)...

I think it's safe to say that no team in the west will get a sweep in the first round or probably through the whole playoff run, and there will be no gimme's in this year's playoff's; I think it's going to be pretty wide open this season for the top 5 teams in the west this season in the playoff's, and maybe Pacer's or the Piston's if they contunie to improve...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Lakers Rockets first round o O

dirno - I like that animation.

Yao is going to cause Kobe some vaginal tearing in this series.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31
Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex

Yes I do, but have we seen Yao really motivated, but one thing is for sure that Shaq is going to have a hard time dunking over Yao everytime down the floor. I believe Kobe will be the key to them getting out of the first round (well that's only if isn't court two much for the next couple of weeks)...

I would have to say the Rocket's and the Spur's are the 2 teams the Laker's didn't want to face because they matchup really well with them, and it looks like if the Spur's take care of business they will have to take on both (that's only if the Laker's take care of business as well)...

I think it's safe to say that no team in the west will get a sweep in the first round or probably through the whole playoff run, and there will be no gimme's in this year's playoff's; I think it's going to be pretty wide open this season for the top 5 teams in the west this season in the playoff's, and maybe Pacer's or the Piston's if they contunie to improve...
Moreover, matchup-wise, this will be the toughest road to the finals for the Lakers. The only thing that makes it somewhat easier, is their guaranteed home court advantage in the first and second rounds.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:45 PM   #8
Nicky31

Nicky31 is on a distinguished road

Moreover, matchup-wise, this will be the toughest road to the finals for the Lakers. The only thing that makes it somewhat easier, is their guaranteed home court advantage in the first and second rounds.[/quote]

I agree, but if I'm not mistaken the Laker's have been known better for their play as a road team than a home team come playoff time. I thought that is what has really set them apart from playoff contenders (that and having a giant for a center)...

I'm sure the Laker's are not celebrating Kobe's jumper much today..considering he didn't make their road to the finals any easier...

Nicky31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Nicky31

I'm sure the Laker's are not celebrating Kobe's jumper much today..considering he didn't make their road to the finals any easier...
Either that or they're lamenting another ankle injury to the mailman.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

I expect this series to be a 4 game sweep by the Lakers. The Rockets are playing PITIFUL ball right now, why expect that to change vs Shaq, Kobe, and Payton? Shaq vs Yao might be fun to watch but the rest of the Lakers are going to destroy the lousy Rockets.

I think the Lakers wanted the Rockets because that was the easiest path for them to advance in the playoffs.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I expect this series to be a 4 game sweep by the Lakers. The Rockets are playing PITIFUL ball right now, why expect that to change vs Shaq, Kobe, and Payton? Shaq vs Yao might be fun to watch but the rest of the Lakers are going to destroy the lousy Rockets.

I think the Lakers wanted the Rockets because that was the easiest path for them to advance in the playoffs.
I disagree. I think the Lakers match-up better against the Mavs rather than Houston. I agree that normally, Houston is not better than Dallas, but for some reason they rise-up (especially Yao) against the Lakers and Shaq.

I don't think it will be a sweep. I don't think it will go to seven either, but it will be tougher than you think.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:21 PM   #13
Subliminal012

Subliminal012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Is this vaginal tearing? I'm just curious.

Subliminal012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:35 PM   #14
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Subliminal012
Quote:

Is this vaginal tearing? I'm just curious.

LMAO!

Oh, and Malone is definitely playing.

Oh, and Rockets are tired (Yao) and injured (Cato, Francis, Cuttino).
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

FYI: Lakers only get home court in the first round unless there is an upset in the first round or if Minny loses before the WCF.

I don't think posters here are familiar with the Lakers. The Lakers match up better with Spurs/Rockets/Kings than they do with the Mavs/Grizz. The Lakers play better against teams that are built similar to them, they have tons of trouble with unorthodox teams like the Mavs, Griz and to a certain extent the Kings.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:15 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

francis will lose this series single-handedly.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:42 PM   #17
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

With Francis, Mobley, and Cato injured, and Yao tiring out so easily, Houston has just about nothing to fall back on. I'm not sure if Jim Jackson will be able to get this done by himself. How severely is Mobley injured? Cause I've seen this guy get red hot from the field, and he would be a good counter for Kobe Bryant.
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:15 AM   #18
Big Lo

Big Lo will become famous soon enough

francis just about single handedly lost this game for houston. how can u call yourself a pg and turn the ball over that much !
Big Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #19
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Ugly, ugly first game of a series that the Rockets had a chance to take but they just couldn't finish the job. I don't think they will be as lucky in game 2 to see such a pedestrian performance by Kobe.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:49 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Both teams should have lost the game by 30.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #21
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'm so glad the Mavs are the best team in the NBA at protecting the ball. All the turnovers that Houston has kill me when I watch them play.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 11:12 AM   #22
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

if the rockets can somehow trade francis and sign steve nash in the offseason, they will likely be champions next year..

all they need is a PG that can make shots and not turn the ball over..that's their final piece to the puzzle
Old 04-18-2004, 12:44 PM   #23
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
IMO had the Lakers faced anyone else in the first round they would have lost by 30!

Old 04-18-2004, 01:21 PM   #24
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: WayOutWest
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
IMO had the Lakers faced anyone else in the first round they would have lost by 30!
That's why the Lakers wanted to get the Rockets so badly. The Rockets are Eastern conference bad.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:40 PM   #25
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Rockets are Eastern conference bad.
That's a perfect description...........of their offense that is.

Their defense is one of the best in the league and it the main reason why they had a shot to win last night.

And I have to give credit were credit is due.........Mobley's defense was why Kobe was off last night. Every time Kobe touched the ball, Mobley was there to slap it away and create confusion for Bryant offensively. And when Bryant tried to shake him with his moves, Mobley stuck to him like ticks on a cow's arse.

That especially was clear on the last play when they forced Kobe to take that awefull fadeaway three and which turned out to be an air ball (that Walton claimed was a pass)........which was only to be caught and stuffed home by Shaq for the game winning points. If the Rockets had one more low post defender in the paint, Shaq doesnt catch that air-ball and the Rockets probably win.........

I think some of you are all wrong about how this series will play out.

I agree the Rockets will probably lose this series.........but this wont be as easy as some of you people think.

The Lakers will have to fight and sweat this one out........just like Magic was doing on the sidelines last night.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:30 AM   #26
Shaq Attack2

Kobe wasn't off just because of Mobley, that's homer BS and you know it NYCdog. Rockets played stifling team defense, and that's what gave Kobe some trouble. That said, he was just off, period. He was missing little baby jumpers and floaters he usually nails, and would have passed more had the role players hit their shots more consistently.

Everyone has their off games. Look for Kobe to get his points on 45%+ shooting in Game 2.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:15 AM   #27
NYCdog

Quote:
that's homer BS and you know it NYCdog.
Shaq Attack 2,

Clearly your up way past your bed time cause its effecting your posting skills.

Me talking "homer BS" in favor of the Rockets..........havent you seen my user name?

I'm sure you have noticed it being that you included it in your post.

What about my "Time Square-like" sig (hint, hint [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ).........have you seen that too?

That should give you and anyone here a pretty good idea to make the assumption that I am probably not a "Rockets homer."

In fact, make that definitely not a "Rockets homer."

Think about it...........that's like me calling you a "Rockets homer" despite your user name.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:07 AM   #28
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
that's homer BS and you know it NYCdog.
Shaq Attack 2,

Clearly your up way past your bed time cause its effecting your posting skills.

Me talking "homer BS" in favor of the Rockets..........havent you seen my user name?

I'm sure you have noticed it being that you included it in your post.

What about my "Time Square-like" sig (hint, hint [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ).........have you seen that too?

That should give you and anyone here a pretty good idea to make the assumption that I am probably not a "Rockets homer."

In fact, make that definitely not a "Rockets homer."

Think about it...........that's like me calling you a "Rockets homer" despite your user name.
Stunning analysis. I'll be sure to take a dump on it when I find the time.

Oh, that said, if you're not a Rockets homer than I don't know what a Rockets homer could possibly be defined as; the vast majority of your posts are about the Rockets, and usually involve defending the Rockets on this board. I could give an eff if you have a hard-on for all things New York, you're obviously a Rockets homer.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:06 PM   #29
NYCdog

Quote:
Stunning analysis. I'll be sure to take a dump on it when I find the time.

Oh, that said, if you're not a Rockets homer than I don't know what a Rockets homer could possibly be defined as; the vast majority of your posts are about the Rockets, and usually involve defending the Rockets on this board. I could give an eff if you have a hard-on for all things New York, you're obviously a Rockets homer.
Hehe...........the only thing "stunning" in this thread is how incredibly stupid your accusations of me being a Rockets homer are. Your incompetence makes my job of dissing your worthless post way too easy for me. Honestly, I'm not even gonna try........its so pathetic, it aint worth my time.

I'm just going to post a couple of facts for you to ponder.........maybe you can be smart enough to figure things out from there. AND IF NOT, might I recommend you ask "mummy dearest" to pick you up a story book best suited for your current level of intelligence..........a copy of "Encyclopedia Brown," to help improve your deductive reasoning skills.........

First off, who doesn’t post about the Rockets on this board?

Every time I look in this forum, there always seems to be a thread pertaining to the Rockets.

Yet, I'm not the one starting the damn threads..........

I'm just replying it, like everyone else does here, posting my opinion, whether it be positive or negative........

And BTW, you should really venture out of this NBA forum alot more often cause you would then realize I post about anything on this board.........from getting to know other users to funny advertising tactics to the new Cowboys stadium and everything in between.

FYI.........Yours truly has also given these fans here at D-M.com sneak peaks of the new silver Mavs alternate before it debuted along with the Stars new alternate, as well as the Raptors and Suns new alternates........if anything, think of me as the resident D-M.com uniform/logo guy..........

So please pique my curiosity.........after you finish reading and comprehending "Encyclopedia Brown," please logically explain to me how am I a "Rockets homer" again?

Old 04-19-2004, 12:21 PM   #30
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Mobley is a good defender but giving him credit for Kobe's poor performance is incorrect. Much like the Kobe-Stopper, this is not about one guy on Kobe, it's about team defense on Kobe. The only guys I've seen give Kobe ALOT of trouble, or actually shut down Kobe, by themselves with no help have been Bowen and AK-47. AK-47 gave Kobe fits for three games before Kobe figured him out and really took it to him, Bowen is on again, off again with Kobe but Bowen consistant quarter to quarter and game to game. Sometimes it bothers Kobe sometimes it doesn't. When team like the Kings and Blazers concentrate on Kobe is really does affect him and that's what the Rockets did and it probably let to taking Kobe out of rythm and caused him to miss some open shots.

Kobe usually bounces back strong after performances like this so I don't expect (hope [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) game 2 to be that close.

Old 04-19-2004, 01:58 PM   #31
NYCdog

Quote:
Mobley is a good defender but giving him credit for Kobe's poor performance is incorrect. Much like the Kobe-Stopper, this is not about one guy on Kobe, it's about team defense on Kobe. The only guys I've seen give Kobe ALOT of trouble, or actually shut down Kobe, by themselves with no help have been Bowen and AK-47. AK-47 gave Kobe fits for three games before Kobe figured him out and really took it to him, Bowen is on again, off again with Kobe but Bowen consistant quarter to quarter and game to game. Sometimes it bothers Kobe sometimes it doesn't. When team like the Kings and Blazers concentrate on Kobe is really does affect him and that's what the Rockets did and it probably let to taking Kobe out of rythm and caused him to miss some open shots.
WOW,

I understand what your trying to say. But I actually think Mobley deserves more credit then he gets.

The Rockets didnt focus there defense on Kobe by any means.

JVG most all the time has his team play man-to-man defense.

The only player they really double against the Lakers is Shaq to help out Yao and keep him out of foul trouble. They'll frequently roll out Cato or Taylor to either play against or double team Shaq (you've noted that in the past) thus leaving either Malone or Slava as the open man to take the shot, which neither of them really wanted to take late in game 1.

The rest of the perimeter defense was set man-to-man in order to force the ball into Malone and Slava's hands to take the shot.

And late in Game 1, this game plan on defense was working.

And when Malone and Slava couldnt convert, Kobe tried to force the issue by forcing up shots including the "air ball" prayer he threw up which Shaq luckily caught and dunked home for the game winner.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to proclaim Mobley as being the next "Kobe-stopper" or anything.

I just felt Mobley played good defense on him that night. He never left Kobe open, no matter how hard Kobe tried to shake him. Every shot was contested.........basically his defense helped contributed to Kobe having an off night. It wasnt quite Bruce Bowen-like but it was headed in that neighborhood.

I would also like to note during the season series against the Rockets, Bryant's numbers have really been rather average compared to other performances in the season.

In fact, compare what he has done this season against both Mobley and Bowen

Vs Mobley
PTS... ASST... REB

23, 6, 8
14, 3, 1
18, 13, 8
26, 4, 7

Vs. Bowen

37, 2, 5
17, 7, 4
21, 3, 6
28, 3, 6

And note this........Mobley has responded to Bryant's offense at times, having two good nights to nearly match or better him with 26 (which Kobe had) and 21. (Kobe had 14)

So by all of this, its pretty much evident that Mobley's defense is contributing to Bryant's play.

This could be pretty interesting matchup to watch as the series develops.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:23 PM   #32
WayOutWest
Golden Member

Alot of whay you state dog applies to the regular season. Even the clueless commentators noted that the Rockets were playing the Lakers very different from the regular season in respect to Shaq. Shaq was not getting doubled and defended like the previous games to protect Yao. I think JVG bought into the Yao hype and let them go one-on-one and Shaq showed the Rockets that Yao in not in Shaq's league. This is not Chamberlin vs Kareem, Shaq is just waaaaay better than Yao at this stage of their careers. In the 3rd quarter the Rockets did focus on Shaq more and Kobe was getting more one-on-one looks vs Mobley but didn't convert. I agree that Mobley played very good defense but that ususally doesn't matter when you talk about players like Kobe, T-Mac and Iverson. Very good defense doesn't do much when these guys are on. Kobe just wasn't on and it's happened before against below average defenders. It's possible that the early defense, as well as Shaq's early dominance, affected Kobe for the whole game but I'm not sure.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:46 PM   #33
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

GO ROCKETS!.....minus Francis....that guy is a terd!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:58 PM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

A great game going on right now...hopefully houston can pull through when it counts

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 04-19-2004, 11:02 PM   #35
rakesh.s
Golden Member

houston works much much better with francis at the 2 and mark jackson at PG

i still think if they can add a guy like steve nash and get rid of francis, they will be a championship team
Old 04-19-2004, 11:27 PM   #36
rakesh.s
Golden Member

that kobe bryant lucky basket shouldn't have counted..the one he flipped in backwards and got fouled on

it looked like his foot landed..pretty much an up and down violation..

no one even bothered to look at it closely and the announcers are gushing over it
Old 04-19-2004, 11:47 PM   #37
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

houston now falling back a bit

Old 04-20-2004, 12:16 AM   #38
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
WOW,

I understand what your trying to say. But I actually think Mobley deserves more credit then he gets.

The Rockets didnt focus there defense on Kobe by any means.

JVG most all the time has his team play man-to-man defense.

The only player they really double against the Lakers is Shaq to help out Yao and keep him out of foul trouble. They'll frequently roll out Cato or Taylor to either play against or double team Shaq (you've noted that in the past) thus leaving either Malone or Slava as the open man to take the shot, which neither of them really wanted to take late in game 1.

The rest of the perimeter defense was set man-to-man in order to force the ball into Malone and Slava's hands to take the shot.

And late in Game 1, this game plan on defense was working.

And when Malone and Slava couldnt convert, Kobe tried to force the issue by forcing up shots including the "air ball" prayer he threw up which Shaq luckily caught and dunked home for the game winner.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to proclaim Mobley as being the next "Kobe-stopper" or anything.

I just felt Mobley played good defense on him that night. He never left Kobe open, no matter how hard Kobe tried to shake him. Every shot was contested.........basically his defense helped contributed to Kobe having an off night. It wasnt quite Bruce Bowen-like but it was headed in that neighborhood.

I would also like to note during the season series against the Rockets, Bryant's numbers have really been rather average compared to other performances in the season.

In fact, compare what he has done this season against both Mobley and Bowen

Vs Mobley
PTS... ASST... REB

23, 6, 8
14, 3, 1
18, 13, 8
26, 4, 7

Vs. Bowen

37, 2, 5
17, 7, 4
21, 3, 6
28, 3, 6

And note this........Mobley has responded to Bryant's offense at times, having two good nights to nearly match or better him with 26 (which Kobe had) and 21. (Kobe had 14)

So by all of this, its pretty much evident that Mobley's defense is contributing to Bryant's play.

This could be pretty interesting matchup to watch as the series develops.
Hang yourself.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:11 AM   #39
NYCdog

Quote:
Hang yourself.
Why Shaq Attack2?

Cause Kobe finally busted out against the Rockets last night........and made me look wrong in your eyes?

Big whoop........I'll be a man and accept it. Its not the end of the freakin world though..........

But in my defense, I knew Kobe was going to explode sometime in this series. Its impossible to keep him quiet offensively against any team for that long. That's why in my previous post, I included notes like these..........

Quote:

I just felt Mobley played good defense on him that night. (Game 1)
Fact is, we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. That's why I choose not to reply the smarter Laker fan's (W.O.W.) latest response.......cause it was spot on and there was no way I could disagree with it. Regardless of good defense, Kobe was going to have his good nights when he was "on".........

But hey, if it will shut your little whinny trap..........I'll be the bigger man and eat crow.

Question is...........Will you be man enough to eat crow yourself when comes to your ridiculous accusation of me being a Rockets homer?

I'm still waiting for your pathetic response on that issue.

If you choose to hide from the issue to prevent eating crow yourself (like your doing right now)........then I suggest that you take your own pathetic advise and hang yourself.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:27 PM   #40
Shaq Attack2

Quote:
Will you be man enough to eat crow yourself when comes to your ridiculous accusation of me being a Rockets homer?
You are a Rockets homer. Do a search on your name via the Advanced search function available at the top of this forum. The majority of your posts are about the Rockets, usually defending the Rockets in some form or fashion.

Hey, weren't you the same guy that said KG might come to Houston before he resigned with the Twolves for 7 years last summer?

EDIT: Wrong quote tags.