Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #121
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
Well, that is true. One of the remarkable things about last year's team is that every single guy on the roster, just about, played a huge role in at least one win. Would I have kept Barea and the junkyard dog? Of course I would have! (I would have been okay with Peja retiring.) But still...while your point is made...I think it remains true that Chandler was a more important piece than the others.

I hope so. But I'm not entirely sold yet. "Options" or "flexibility" means nothing, until it is ultimately cashed in. As I said, we'll wait and see.
The last 2 chips of flexibility we had were:
the Stack Chip, turned into Marion
the DUST Chip, turned into Chandler

Not sexy names, but starters on a championship team. Agree, it's a wait and see. Both were almost instant winners when we traded the chips in. Cuban isn't about Dirk any more,(it's the same with the Spurs and Duncan) he's looking at 5-8 years down the line, he wants to continue the winning and playoff runs, but he won't mortgage the future to do it. Spurs are in a situation with Duncan, who's a free agent, do they give him 20 million for 2 - 3 seasons, or do they claim the cap space and go for a Howard, or Bynum in 2013?
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #122
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
I offered this point of view right before this season started, and certain people assured me that it would never happen--that the team would come back just as hungry or hungrier.

Frankly, I thought it was very unlikely. There's a certain pride in defending your championship, but I don't see how it remotely compares to the drive that comes from realizing that you're on the downslope of your career (or already near the end, in the case of Kidd) and that you may not have another chance.
One of the interesting things that came about from the clincher was the team did not know what to do, it was like "oh that's it, we won?" They had never been on that stage before, it was all new to them. One of the more interesting learning points, would have been for Cuban to go out and bring in an MJ, or Shaq or Magic to talk to the guys about their experiences after winning that first ring. What was their offseason like, what did they do to stay hungry. Due to inexperience with finally obtaining that goal, the individual players did not know what to do, it was like they were fully satisfied, Kidd chased this thing for 17 years, Dirk 14 and all down the line. Also I remembered a half time interview of Kidd during the finals, question, career complete without a ring....Kidd "yes." Then the lockout came, piling more dirt onto the 2012 coffin, no resigning Chandler and all the other FA's, Kidd saw the writing on the wall for the season, Dirk was already out of the basketball world long before the lockout. So it was a lost season long before it even started.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #123
pepe

pepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to allpepe is a name known to all

What would I do?....

Plan A
Dirk/DWill and the rest

Plan B
Move a couple of slots in the draft and pick Kendall Marshall, sign Roy Hibbert and pick Brendon Rush either via trade or sign.

KMarshall/JKidd/NCalathes
Buke/West/Roddy
BRush/either (GHill or Matt Barnes)
Dirk/BWright'
RHibbert/Mahini
pepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #124
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McGuire View Post
Man I'm hoping we come away from the draft with a guy who can be a piece for the future. I know it's hit or miss, but I just really want a young guy who we can root for to get better and better.

I miss the days when we were the athletic, good-in-transition team. I know a #17 pick won't immediately do that, but a great young wing + Deron would take us pretty close.

I really wish we could get Bradley Beal.
Ya we definitely need a good draft. It's getting critical we start hitting on picks.

Lets say we don't land D Will. If Kendall Marshal falls I wouldn't be too upset.

Last edited by OneLove22; 06-11-2012 at 10:06 PM.
OneLove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #125
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove22 View Post
Ya we definitely need a good draft. It's getting critical we start hitting on picks.

Lets say we don't land D Will. If Kendall Marshal falls I wouldn't be too upset.
Unfortunately, Cuban does not control the NBA calendar, draft comes first, then free agentcy.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #126
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Something I was wondering about tonight. Are things just kinda magically coming together right now for whoever it is that ends up winning Thunder/Heat? In other words, will the winner look back on things at some point in the future and think, "You know, we were pretty lucky to pull that off, now that you think about it."

Because if so, I'm sure it would add to my enjoyment of the series. You know, lightning-in-a-bottle being such a rare and precious thing.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #127
Scott McGuire

Scott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to beholdScott McGuire is a splendid one to behold

Any interest in in Lavoy Allen and Jason Thompson?

The Sixers were dumb enough to only sign Lavoy to a one year deal without any team options. He's 23 so he's not super young. He is a good mobile defender who can rebound. He may not be that much different than Mahinmi or Wright although he is definitely better at defense.

The Kings will likely make Thompson a restricted FA, but may not be too inclined to match offers if they pick up Drummond in the draft. Thompson isn't great at anything, but he is pretty good at everything except defense. His defense is lacking because he lack the mobility to defend a 4 or the size to defend a 5. He's probably too similar to Mahinmi.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #128
OneLove22

OneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to allOneLove22 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Unfortunately, Cuban does not control the NBA calendar, draft comes first, then free agentcy.
hahaha.

Anyways, if Kendall Marshall falls I'd take him.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #129
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'm not taking away from it. Those are just numbers, I look at how they got those numbers more than the actual number itself. They had to catch lightning in a bottle numerous times in order to come back from what seemed like insurmountable deficits.

Dirk Nowitzki? HE was dominant. The 2011 Mavericks will never be considered one of the most dominant champions the league has ever seen. They will hopefully go down as one of the most persistent and resilient ones anyone as seen.
So I agree with Bryan that it wasn't as much of a domination as some people are stating.

But the flip side is, for those of you saying Mavs couldn't have beat Thun this year even with Chandler...we lost the first 2 games of the series this year by a combined 4 points.

You don't think Chandler makes 4 points of difference? You think if Mavs win Game 1 and 2 Thun come back and win the series?

Regardless of whether you were for or against resigning Tyson...there is NO way you can legitimately state that the Mavs couldn't have beat the Thunder this year if they resigned him.
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #130
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartywithDirk View Post
So I agree with Bryan that it wasn't as much of a domination as some people are stating.

But the flip side is, for those of you saying Mavs couldn't have beat Thun this year even with Chandler...we lost the first 2 games of the series this year by a combined 4 points.

You don't think Chandler makes 4 points of difference? You think if Mavs win Game 1 and 2 Thun come back and win the series?

Regardless of whether you were for or against resigning Tyson...there is NO way you can legitimately state that the Mavs couldn't have beat the Thunder this year if they resigned him.
I hate that Chandler left but it's old news. Were you saying "Man I wish Nash was still here" every time there was a boneheaded turnover? Probably not. Fact is it'd be a hell of a lot less exciting offseason if the same old team was in place. Who knows maybe one of these days we'll be the exciting young athletic team instead of the old guys looking to turn it into a half court game.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #131
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Well, you easily can't say that the Mavs COULD have beaten the Thunder if they resigned him. What if he got in foul trouble, what if he got hurt, etc etc.
We'll never know.

I still go back to the point that offense was the issue in series against the Thunder. With that, a much more compelling case could be made about how things would be different in Barea was still on the team, compared to Chandler.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #132
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

And if that is accepted, the idea that they would have been right back in the finals has to be entertained as well.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #133
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
I hate that Chandler left but it's old news. Were you saying "Man I wish Nash was still here" every time there was a boneheaded turnover? Probably not. Fact is it'd be a hell of a lot less exciting offseason if the same old team was in place. Who knows maybe one of these days we'll be the exciting young athletic team instead of the old guys looking to turn it into a half court game.
You call this exciting? This is like watching paint dry.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM   #134
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Well, you easily can't say that the Mavs COULD have beaten the Thunder if they resigned him. What if he got in foul trouble, what if he got hurt, etc etc.
We'll never know.

I still go back to the point that offense was the issue in series against the Thunder. With that, a much more compelling case could be made about how things would be different in Barea was still on the team, compared to Chandler.
Then you have to make the case that the Mavs were complete idiots to let jjb go for 5 million or whatever if it would have gotten them back into the finals. It should have been a no-brainer.

Edit: make that 4.3 million and probably less as jjb would have given some discount.

Last edited by dude1394; 06-26-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #135
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Quote:
We'll never know.

I agree with the offense being the issue as well...and honestly, I wasn't on the side of resigning Chandler.

My point is 2 pages ago we have half the posters saying there is no way last years team would've beaten OKC.

I strongly disagree with that statement. In fact, I think last years Mavs team may have swept this years Thunder team (at least 4-1 like last year).
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #136
PartywithDirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
You're missing the point or you haven't read the whole thread...I'm not pining for the days of Tyson.

I'm responding to the posters who said last years Mavs team couldn't have beaten this years Thunder team. Far from fact IMO.

While we're here though...you still thinking this is exciting? Cunningham, Crowder, and James?? Possibly Nash (younger/athletic?) as PG??

Looks a bit like what they've been doing in Houston for the past 15 years to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #137
dallasrob

dallasrob is infamous around these parts
Default Re:

Break the bank for D Howard.
dallasrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 AM   #138
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but play for next year/summer. There's no other way to put it, we lost/failed this summer, let's not overspend on scrubs.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #139
Quetzalcoatl

Quetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the roughQuetzalcoatl is a jewel in the rough

It will be a difficult season.
Quetzalcoatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #140
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Chandler was also very important to our OFFENSE. Mavs should have kept him.

how fitting...
Quote:
"Honestly, it came down to the roster," Kidd said. "Brooklyn made moves that improved the roster dramatically, and he saw things were going that way. That would be my opinion from looking on the outside. He felt that if Dirk goes down he's sitting with himself."

Last edited by markus1234; 07-05-2012 at 03:16 AM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #141
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

If i were the GM, i'd tank the season now. I would trade Marion, amnesty Haywood, Let Kidd go, and play a Roddy-Cunningham-Crowder-Dirk-James lineup. Yes, i'd try to put this down on Dirk's and Carlisle's throat, because at this point, that would immensely help the team's future. We could have a chance at a top 2 pick with this lineup.

Let's be realistic, Dirk's next year is already wasted. You could keep his minutes down, or rest him a lot even. Next summer, you try to put together a new big 3 with Howard and Paul, if it fails, you build a new around the top 2 rookie. At this point, with all those superteams, why not keep trying to get big names? We can't realistically chase a championship next year, that's already decided. You gotta have talent. Now, i absolutely understand this won't happen (tanking) but that's what i would do.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #142
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrob View Post
Break the bank for D Howard.
The vault is empty.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #143
He15man

He15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to allHe15man is a name known to all

If I'm Mark Cuban, after missing out on Deron i look at the options realistically.

The fee agent market is weak this year for what Dallas needs. Outside of Dwight or Deon, the rest of the market wouldn't be much help and even if Dallas signed some of these guys there is no way they win a championship.

Cuban didn't become who he is today by investing his money in stupid ways. I trust that Mark has a plan for the Mavs and i think he knew Deron was not coming to Dallas well before his decision(which is why he was in LA filming Shark Tank).

It sucks, but its the situation that Dallas is in and as Mavs fans we need to accept it and support the team.
He15man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #144
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

I'd shoot for a 2 year window, Marcus Camby, Andre Iguodala expiring in 2014 are a couple of players I'd love to see here.

Tags
cuban has tasty balls, let's talk chandler again, my ass bleeds for tyson