Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold
Question Xbox 360 or PS3?

Which one is better?
Old 12-27-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Nintendo Wii........
Old 12-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

ps3!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

PS3 hands down.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Wii
NES
Old 12-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I love new hardware as much as anyone else, I am a hardware junkie. But consoles are all about games. And right now, the 360 IMO is ahead, whereas the Wii is the most fun (never thought I'd see my parents playing videogames in my life). The PS3 is entirely too scarce and expensive right now to be worth it. I will get it for myself eventually, but let there be some games I'm interested in (I'm sorry, FPS's=PC only in my househould, so Resistance, hmm, bleh).

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-27-2006 at 05:35 PM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM   #7
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

My 60+ year old father broke a lamp playing Wii sports Christmas night. He was flailing around whilst I kicked his ass at bowling and tennis.

The nintendo is good times.

Last edited by capitalcity; 12-27-2006 at 05:26 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I'm getting a Wii, cheaper and all around seems more fun.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:18 PM   #9
FreakNasty

FreakNasty will become famous soon enough

At this very moment, I suggest the 360. Like Bernardos said, its all about the games. And the line up of games for the ps3, at this moment, comes no where close to the 360. The only game worth playing on the ps3 at the moment, and is exclusively on ps3, is Resistance Fall of Man(not blown away at all). The other games worth playing you can play on the 360 also and are virtually the same. Right now, the 360 has Gears of War (AMAZING, this is the reason for my ps3 collecting dust.), F.E.A.R, Elder Scrolls (if you like RPG), and the Tom Clancy games are great too. But the ps3 has games like Gran Turismo hd, GTA IV(heard rumors of it not being exclusive?), Armored Core 4, Final Fantasy XIII, MGS4 that are set to launch this year, if you decide for the ps3.

I work at best buy, and shipments range from 2-8 ps3s every week to every week and a half. Even if you wanted one, it will be hard to get one, because they are gone in less than an half an hour. This trend may continue into spring time, but by that time, the list of games should way better than it is now(barring anything getting pushed back).
FreakNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wii
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 AM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

I played a Wii a little bit today, they had them like displayed in a section of the mall, and it was pretty cool. That's the one I'll be getting, Nintendo hasn't disappointed me so far, so I'm sticking with them.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:01 AM   #12
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, im thinking of getting the Xbox 360 since PS3 doesn't have anything to offer right now. But im affraid PS3 will be better in the future with better games and graphics and such, so i don't wanna regret it since its pretty expensive for me since im not rich =/. Also, the Wii does look pretty fun but does it have any cool games?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Right now its hands down 360. Been out for over a year already(i.e all the bugs/problems have been fixed). PS3 is still VERY buggy, and is far behind in quality games. Probably be another year or so before the PS3 really gets going.

Edit: PS3 just costs too much right now. You're basically buying a Blu-Ray player because the PS3 doesnt offer much else right now. You can get a 360 and Wii for the same price as PS3.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.

Last edited by LonestarROB; 12-28-2006 at 09:30 AM.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

GTA 4 will not only not be a PS3 exclusive, it'll be launched simultaneously on the 360. Gran Turismo Vision (think that was the name) has been scrapped in favor of Gran Turismo HD, which is scheduled for a 2008 launch. Final Fantasy XIII and MGS are the ones I'm looking forward to, and Formula 1 to a lesser extent. Winning Eleven is no longer an exclusive either.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

PS3 isnt doing so well right now-- with incredible shortages at launch of the machine, there are still many many of them in stores not being puchased. Ouch.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
PS3 isnt doing so well right now-- with incredible shortages at launch of the machine, there are still many many of them in stores not being puchased. Ouch.
Those boxes at the stores are empty, Erica....... "for display purposes only." I know this since I joke around everytime I go in one of the stores with friends and I dash straight to it, pick it up, and act disappointed when it is empty.

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-28-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #17
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a PS3 box in a locked case at Best Buy. I assumed it wasn't empty, being locked up.

I haven't bought either one, but the 360 is a no-brainer over the PS3 for all the reasons already listed.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70
Nintendo Wii........
Oh yeah.....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:47 PM   #19
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I've got a 360 and I love it. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is online play. Xbox Live beats the living crap out of anything else right now.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #20
FreakNasty

We took down are dummy boxes, but they werent locked up so you must have seen the real thing. Those boxes were driving us nuts with questions regarding our stock, and not to mention how they disappointed customers (bernarados) lol. Hell even our display ps3 is a dummy. Where the real one is you will never know.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM   #21
FreakNasty

Oh, and to ease the demand for the wii and ps3, you can also find some nice deals for the 360. Some stores offer 50 dollar gift cards or a free wireless controller. Best buy did both every so often.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:42 PM   #22
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

You can get a premium 360 for around $320 if you know where to look.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:05 PM   #23
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

$320? haha w/e.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #24
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Try Toys r Us. Theyve been running a deal for a $100 giftcard when you buy 360.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #25
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

That promotion ended last week. I picked up 4 of them for $325 each (and free $100 gc each) using the 25% off AMEX coupon My xmas shopping and vacation have been completely funded by PS3/Wii/Xbox360 sales lol
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #26
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

wii > all
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbacklash
That promotion ended last week. I picked up 4 of them for $325 each (and free $100 gc each) using the 25% off AMEX coupon My xmas shopping and vacation have been completely funded by PS3/Wii/Xbox360 sales lol
Genius. I wish I could have found some pre-Christmas.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:52 AM   #28
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Question:

To play online X-Box do you have to have a subscription or do you just need an internet connection?

I am close to buying one and this will take me over the fence if I don't have to subscribe to play online.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:06 AM   #29
bernardos70
Diamond Member

To play online? You need a Gold subscription which will run you $50 per year. You don't have to get that to download stuff like demos and videos. You can also get cheaper subs for less time, like 3 months.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:09 AM   #30
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

horsepucky
Old 12-30-2006, 03:36 AM   #31
bernardos70
Diamond Member

Get a core system and the live subscription, it is above and beyond the online service for any of the other systems out. The wii's online system is quite possibly the most disappointing aspect of the system. There are several people having problems connecting to it, me included. It also is in the same general area of the 360, and while the 360's wireless adapter is capable of picking up a fairly decent signal, the Wii struggles.

Also, as far as playing people online, I've heard you have to exchange friend codes. That's a pain in the ass. You'll definitely have the most fun with the 360 if online is your thing.

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-30-2006 at 03:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:12 AM   #32
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

XBox 360 is great. I've had mine for nearly a year now. The games have improved a lot in the past year. I signed up for XBox Live today and it works great. Live even worked great on the previous XBox. The game play is soooo smooth. Honestly, it is no different than playing someone on your console. I am sure Wii is a ton of fun, but for traditional consoles, PS3 v. XBox 360, the 360 has the upperhand since its been around so long and the online play. I just signed up for Live for a month and I think it was $7-8. I'll probably pay for a 3 month subscription over the summer.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 11:55 AM   #33
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Question:

If my T.V is in one room and DSL is in another, would you suggest I purchase a wireless router and the 360 Wireless receiver? I have been reading about it and people suggest I fork over the dollars for the receiver instead of using the ethernet.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #34
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Question:

If my T.V is in one room and DSL is in another, would you suggest I purchase a wireless router and the 360 Wireless receiver? I have been reading about it and people suggest I fork over the dollars for the receiver instead of using the ethernet.
I've always strung an ethernet across my room. Its a bit of a hassle, but since I won't be using Live for too long, I don't want to pay the $100 for wireless.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #35
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Ethernet! Without question.

I have a 1 month Live Gold trial if anybody wants it. Serious offers only please.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:11 PM   #36
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Planning to get a 360 and hopefully a Wii. Ill leave the PS3 buying to my younger brothers. That way, I can have the best of all consoles. Hmmm

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:16 PM   #37
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Well, hopefully they make a long ethernet cable.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #38
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

How long we talking? Mines like 25-30 feet.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #39
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Sonicwall TZ-170 Wireless Firewall/Router in my office and a separate WPA capable wireless bridge in my living room that connects directly to my XBOX via an ethernet cable. The actual Internet play is done wireless back to the TZ-170 and out to the net using RR. It works VERY well and is nice and secure.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #40
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Well, at least 25-30 ft. Plus, the wife will not want a wire running across the living room floor. hehe..