Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2001, 09:41 AM   #1
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

Finley for the third time in four years has lead the NBA in minutes played. However it's time people start giving Finley HIS DO!!! I'm sick of people not giving him his props. LAM, I can respect the fact you like Dirk more than Fin, I have no problem with that, but to not recognize this is FIN'S TEAM he is the leader and will be for some time to come you're not giving him his props. Dirk finished the year averaging ONLY .3 more points than Fin. The impressive part about this is Dirk took about 100 more free throws and more than 100 more three pointers and managed to score about 50 more points than Fin. You can look at all the statistics all you want, the proof is in the pudding right there! This guy has stepped up big when they needed him and they're riding him into the playoffs. It is this man whose determination will lead this team to victory. Now he can't do it alone, the past two years that's been proven, but he can lead this team and when he puts forth that effort people do follow!!! So it's time EVERYONE recognize it's Finley's team right now, get on his coat tail and ride him into the playoffs!!!!!! So it's time people start giving Fin his props.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:27 AM   #2
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Amen to that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2001, 12:22 PM   #3
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

To many newcoming fans give Finley short shrift bercause of thier enamoration of Dirk. I love Dirk (he or Bradley are very close competition for the title of being my favorite player on the Mavs), but Fin should be recognized as the bedrock of this team. Finley is arguably the best shooting guard in the West (after the possible #1 hangnail injury prone-Bryant), and probably one of the top five in the league as a whole... He is also the on and off the court leader of the Mavs, and the best example of leadership by example that I have ever seen on our previously blighted franchise. He plays through pain, and continues to either lead the league in minutes, or count himself amongst the lead leaders in that category. The Kid is absolutely right in pointing this out, and I will say Hail! in tribute to Finley, as he did...
Old 04-19-2001, 12:37 PM   #4
dallaslaker

dallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura aboutdallaslaker has a spectacular aura about

I think the biggest change I've seen in Finley in this year and last was his leadership. I think he has realized that this is HIS team. HE has to set the example. HE has play hard every single minute. HE is the one that cannot and will not give up when we're down by 10 with a little over a minute left to play. That is the biggest difference I've seen in his game. And like you guys have said, he does this and it encourages others to follow his lead.

Props mainly to Fin for extremely stepping up his game.
Props to Dirk and Nash for following and also stepping up.
Props to Juwan for really stepping in this season and making *significant* contributions.

*sniff* I love you guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
dallaslaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 01:02 PM   #5
ReggieThetaChi

ReggieThetaChi is on a distinguished road

Finley is the man on this team. As I have said many times before, as he goes, the Mavericks go. People need to realize this. That is why he was the All-Star on this team. Dirk is awesome. Don't mistake that fact, I thik he is a bad ass. But he is maybe third in rank of value to this team. As the guards go on this team, so goes the team. Finley and Nash must carry this team. I think what is more valuable than anything that Finley brings are his minutes. That more than anything shows his value. He led the league in minutes, played every game, and because of that, Dallas won 53 this year. Much props to Finster (as he likes to be called, according to his website).
Old 04-19-2001, 01:08 PM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

What is his website?
Old 04-19-2001, 03:53 PM   #7
LAM0015
Banned

LAM0015 is on a distinguished road

dirk #3?
get a clue..thanks
finley may be tied for the most important player on this team...if he's lucky
LAM0015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 03:57 PM   #8
giostar

giostar will become famous soon enoughgiostar will become famous soon enough

Yea, Wang is pretty important too...

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
giostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 04:27 PM   #9
LAM0015
Banned

i agree...that this year, finley is the most important player, ..but i don't see that being the case next year....if not next year, then definitely the year after
Old 04-19-2001, 04:47 PM   #10
IZZO

IZZO is on a distinguished road

for the majority of the year, finley could be characterized by a 7th grade girl. no defense playing, no shooting basketball player.
well, maybe a hot shot jordan wannabe 7th grade boy. a guy that takes way too many bad shots, doesn't play defense, and can't shoot to begin with.
finally, at the end of the year, he pulled his head out of his ass and began shooting the ball well. Let's not forgot that finley was one of the worst three point shooting 2guards in the NBA this year, when you take three point percentage,three point percentage, and free throw percentage into account.
finally, he probably moved into the top 50% of shooters for two guards.

LET'S GIVE HIM HIS CREDIT..HE FINALLY, TOWARDS THE END OF THE SEASON, PLAYED GOOD. IT'S GREAT THAT HE FINALLY DID PART OF WHAT HALF OF YOU DAMNED PEOPLE THINK HE DOES. CONGRATULATIONS FINLEY, YOU ARE NOT PLAYING MEDIOCRE BASKETBALL LIKE YOU DID FOR MOST OF THE SEASON, ... I'M FREAKING PROUD OF YOU.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:47 PM   #11
IZZO

for the majority of the year, finley could be characterized by a 7th grade girl. no defense playing, no shooting basketball player.
well, maybe a hot shot jordan wannabe 7th grade boy. a guy that takes way too many bad shots, doesn't play defense, and can't shoot to begin with.
finally, at the end of the year, he pulled his head out of his ass and began shooting the ball well. Let's not forgot that finley was one of the worst three point shooting 2guards in the NBA this year, when you take three point percentage,three point percentage, and free throw percentage into account.
finally, he probably moved into the top 50% of shooters for two guards.

LET'S GIVE HIM HIS CREDIT..HE FINALLY, TOWARDS THE END OF THE SEASON, PLAYED GOOD. IT'S GREAT THAT HE FINALLY DID PART OF WHAT HALF OF YOU DAMNED PEOPLE THINK HE DOES. CONGRATULATIONS FINLEY, YOU ARE NOT PLAYING MEDIOCRE BASKETBALL LIKE YOU DID FOR MOST OF THE SEASON, ... I'M FREAKING PROUD OF YOU.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:48 PM   #12
IZZO

I FELT SO STRONGLY ABOUT THIS THAT I HAD TO POST IT TWICE.
Old 04-19-2001, 04:51 PM   #13
IZZO

THE ONLY ONE THAT RIDES FINLEY'S COAT TAIL IS JUWAN HOWARD
Old 04-19-2001, 04:57 PM   #14
LAM0015
Banned

and what exactly do you mean by that?
Old 04-19-2001, 05:24 PM   #15
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

give it up dude, it's obvious you are the same person.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:00 PM   #16
Mavinator
Golden Member

Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Frighteningly obvious.
Old 04-19-2001, 06:00 PM   #17
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

If he shares an office with you, why are you responding to his message just minutes after he posted it right next to you?!!?!
Old 04-19-2001, 06:05 PM   #18
scooterj5
Golden Member

FIN IS DA MAN

How many other players as good as Fin would stick with the 96-97 Mavericks team and not jump ship??? That team was AWFUL! We had what, Robert Pack, Sasha Danilovic, Fin, AC Green and Shawn Bradley.

Old 04-19-2001, 06:08 PM   #19
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I really liked having Pack, Danilovic, and Green! Was sad to see them leave too.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 06:18 PM   #20
scooterj5
Golden Member

Why did Danilovic leave anyways??
Old 04-19-2001, 06:27 PM   #21
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

He wanted to play in Europe. In other words, he didn't want to play for a losing team after being shipped from the Heat.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2001, 07:03 PM   #22
ReggieThetaChi

Izzo, it's not April 20th yet, so put the joint down. You are insane. How can you say that about Finley, who is the base of our franchise?
Old 04-19-2001, 07:05 PM   #23
ReggieThetaChi

www.michaelfinley.com
Old 04-19-2001, 11:10 PM   #24
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Izzo's finally back...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Izzo doesn't like Juwan or his herpes...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2001, 09:01 AM   #25
TheKid
Diamond Member

I was using this as a thread for people to voice GOOD opinions about Finley. Mostly because he lasted through some of the TERRIBLE years with the Mavericks. I'm happy for him, his hard work and dedication paid off so I wanted people to voice GOOD opinions of Finley. The title "Tribute to Finley!" So Lam if you don't have anything good to say, don't bother please!!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 09:51 AM   #26
LAM0015
Banned

man...do i have to go through this again?
i thought i had been through this enough with djbacklash
Old 04-20-2001, 10:24 AM   #27
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

I like Izzo, and also know that Izzo is not LAM... It's about time he came back. His thread with Juwan was one of my favorites
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
Old 04-20-2001, 10:38 AM   #28
LAM0015
Banned

i thought it was kinda classless...

but, i do think he has very valid points involving finpooch

welcome back the crippler...hadn't seen you in awhile. Don't you agree that finley was hurting the team for the majority of the year with his poor shot selection and horrific shooting percentages (especially from three)?
Old 04-20-2001, 10:53 AM   #29
The Crippler
Diamond Member

I do agree with that Lam. Only recently, has he been playing for the good of the team. He still shoots a little too much for my liking, but I don't play, so what do I know. He better keep his ego in check for the mavs to go anywhere in the playoffs. He's never been on a big stage like this, so we'll see if he distributes the ball like he should against the jazz.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:06 AM   #30
TheKid
Diamond Member

Wrong again, he was in the playoffs as a rookie AND according to Paul Westpaul, Charles Barkley and Kevin Johnson HE was the reason they couldn't get past San Antonio because he was the only player that could defense Elliot. He missed that series with a sprained ankle. Now those aren't my words, those are people who played and were all STARS in the NBA. I'm sure they know a little more than all of us!!!!

Also it's funny you all say that he was hurting the team, well this is how the year ended up.

FG% 3Pt% PPG
Dirk 47% 39% 21.8
Fin 46% 35% 21.5

Now I've seen many posts by Lam talking about how GREAT Dirk played since the All-Star break. Fin didn't go on his REALLY hot streak until the last month so he had to be doing decent to improve his numbers that much. Dirk for the season didn't shoot that much better than him or score that much more than him. However you all keep talking about how GREAT Dirk is going to be and how much Fin needs to improve. Come on.

Here's a more telling stat Dirk averaged 1.6 offensive rebounds a game. Fin averaged 1.3. That's ridiculous if you ask me. (Granted it's ridiculous also Howard only has 1.9 but that's another thread) However Fin hurts the team huh???? He also lead the team in steals, gets 4.4 assists per game (second on the team) however he hurt the team for the majority of the year!!!!!!

Get real!!!
Old 04-20-2001, 12:20 PM   #31
LAM0015
Banned

actually, when you take two point field goal percentage, three point and free throw percentage into account, dirk did shoot significantly better than finley this year.

so, ..you think that just because someone does alot of things that help the team that there aren't certain aspects of their game that hurts the team? is that it?
please tell me that isn't the case....i would hope that you're a bit brighter than that.

yes, finley's shot selection for the first 3/4 of the season was a problem.
yes, his defense isn't great....
yes, dirk's defense at times isn't that good either.
yes, good players do have certain parts of their games that can hurt a team at times. you should know that. you're not that stupid

and i've said SEVERAL times that dirk needs to improve his defense..needs to drive to the basket more...so don't give me that b.s.... they both have parts of their games that need to improve
Old 04-20-2001, 01:14 PM   #32
TheKid
Diamond Member

Read my post, did you hear me saying anything in MY LAST POST about Dirk's defense??? No! What I said was you keep talking about 3/4ths of the season he hurt the team. This is all I'm saying and I've said it before. You're concentrating on STATISTICS!!! His statistics were better the past two years and where was he and the rest of the Mavericks at this point the last two seasons??? On vacation, this year he took a less role and took more of the leadership role and guess what happened, they're in the playoffs. So your constent infatuation with him HURTING the team for 3/4th's of the season is stupid. If he hurt the team, then you know what, I want him to keep hurting the team because him hurting the team this year for 3/4th's of the season as you put it has made them a better team and if it can continue to make them a better team then I'll take it. As a Mavericks fan I think any fan will take it.

You don't leave it at just constructive criticism, you are down right vile when you talk about Finley. You're almost saying he's a detriment to the team when he's A MAJOR reason they are where they are. NOT THE ONLY, (I'll repeat that before you go off on and put words in my mouth) NOT THE ONLY reason they're successful but a MAJOR reason they are. Hey all of us have hid criticism's for one player or another on this mavericks team and I think we should as fans, but damn, the fact remains Finley has done NOTHING bust positive things for this team this year. So if you think OUR ALL-STAR and BEST PLAYER (That's right I said BEST PLAYER) hurt us for the majority of the year, you're more misinformed than I thought!
Old 04-20-2001, 01:33 PM   #33
TheKid
Diamond Member

Also I said on another post, EVERYONE does things to hurt the team. EVERY player in the NBA takes bad shots, make turnovers, you name it they do it. So I'm NOT saying he's flawless, but I'm saying he does WAY more good than bad!!! What you're debating is like me saying, "Iverson could be a great player if he didn't take so many bad shots!" He takes a ton of bad shots, but he makes a lot of them too!!! Or me saying, "The 76ers could have won 60 games!" I mean how ridiculous would that sound for me to say that????
Old 04-20-2001, 02:28 PM   #34
LAM0015
Banned

I know that finley does more good than bad.
read a little bit...i've said that already.
i'm saying that he could take his game to the next level by eliminating some of his bad shots. he could average more assists and truly become a "great" player if he did this. and i also think that he needs to pick up his defense to get to the next level.
what the hell is wrong with that statement.

and i said that certain aspects of his game are sometimes detrimental to the teams success?
umm..isn't that true with EVERY PLAYER IN THE NBA? is there a player in the nba that does everything right to where they can't improve anymore?
and 3/4 of the season, finley was a poor all around shooter.
Old 04-20-2001, 02:52 PM   #35
TheKid
Diamond Member

Well thank you for stating the OBVIOUS!!! "Every player in the NBA can improve their game." I believe that's something "I" said! No kidding! By the way, Iverson was a poor shooter the ENTIRE season, plays AVERAGE defense at best. He can improve on both of those aspects. Guess what, last time I checked he lead the NBA in scoring and he's probably going to be MVP! Taking a page from your book, I see the need to drive that point home. So I'm going to start lobbying (because I do like the Sixers) that Iverson work to improve his game, then I'll say he's on the next level of players.

My point is, in my book and most people's book, that TRUE level of greatness is not bestowed upon someone until they win a championship. UNLESS they play at a high level like Malone, Stockton, Barkley, Ewing. So your "valid statements" are simply your way of expressing that you don't think Mike is that good. You want to EVERYONE to believe Dirk is the best thing since sliced bread because YOU like him. Atleast be honest, stop trying to "dress up" your disdain towards Finley.
Old 04-20-2001, 03:07 PM   #36
LAM0015
Banned

actually...i think finley may be the slightly better player at this point of their careers...slightly better than dirk.
um, no, i wouldn't put finley in barkley's,stockton, malone, or ewings class. i think he has a ways to go to get to that level.
He seriously needs to play better defense and hit a higher percentage from three point land and from the free throw line.
if he can get his three point percentage around 38 percent or higher consistently, keep his field goal percentage above 46%, average 7 assists a game, shoot above 80% from the free throw line, play good defense consistently...then i'll think..."damn, this is one hell of a player"..."he's truly living up to the abilities that he's blessed with". but, until that time, he's a very good player with areas that he can improve.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:23 AM   #37
TheKid
Diamond Member

Great Article, it's what I've been saying all along. Toss the statistics, it's time to give the man his due! A Win For Fin
Playoffs Are Michael's Stardom Stage

By Gary Adornato – DallasBasketball.com
Throughout the lean years, Michael Finley has been groomed for just this moment. From the day that Don Nelson signed him to his first big contract, to the day that the Mavs clinched their playoff spot, Finley has been the leader of this team, and the soul of the franchise.
Finally, he has a stage equal to his character, a spotlight that he’s waited for, and had to wonder if it would ever come. The barbs of a fading Pippen as Finley struck All-Star gold last year can finally be expelled. Mr. Finley is a winner, and among winners, a star.
In the two games that the Mavericks have played, Finley has averaged 29 points on 44% shooting, and 39% from 3-point range. He has played 94 of a possible 96 minutes, and has been the best Maverick player, often by a considerable margin. While he has had problems against Utah during the season with turnovers, his playoff total of three is an excellent improvement, especially considering the amount of time that he’s spent at the point.
Perhaps most impressively, Finley seems to understand what the playoffs are all about. He has been the media focal point, yet hasn’t slipped once, showing remarkable poise for a post-season rookie.
There is a common refrain when discussing the Mavericks: they lack the superstar necessary to achieve team greatness. In a league where that stardom comes too often from commercial endorsements, Finley is quietly building a rebuttal case to those who declare him unqualified. Currently fourth among all players in post-season scoring, ahead of such monikers as Shaq, Kobe, KG, Vinsanity, C-Webb and Duncan, while facing the same concentrated defenses as the larger names, the only thing that will keep Finley from stepping into that league is if his teammates fail him, and his stay is too brief.
Don Nelson and the Mavericks chose Michael Finley to build their team around. They consulted him on trades, kept him the focus of their attention, and supported him at every turn. With his extraordinary play down the stretch of this season, and his early personal success in the playoffs, Finley is demonstrating once and for all the wisdom of that choice, and a critical reason to believe in this team’s future.

Discuss this story at DallasBasketball.com Boards. --BACK--

Old 04-26-2001, 11:37 AM   #38
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks--thekid--for posting this article here. I read that earlier this morning and thought it was a nice piece for Fin. He has stepped up his game in the post-season, although he really picked it up before that. If it weren't for him, we would of had worse losses than we've had.

Now, if only Dirk would show up...Even LAMCHOP can't argue the statistics between the two.
Old 04-26-2001, 11:53 AM   #39
LAM0015
Banned

"i think finley may be the slightly better player at this point of their careers"

a quote form a post of mine back on friday before the playoffs started.
i think that before the playoffs, i was saying that finley is the slightly better player.

but, every player has hot and cold nights... look at finley last game.. scorching hot first half, semi cold second.
dirk, putrid first half, late third & 4th quarter, almost willed the mavs back into the game.

yes, the mavs definitely need a better game out of dirk.. and they need finley to stay hot...they need nash to drive and not make as many poor decisions...
just some of the needs
Old 04-26-2001, 11:55 AM   #40
LAM0015
Banned

no arguments from me..yes, fin has been the best player for the mavs.. maybe the best player on the court for both teams (stockton may have something to say about that, but i'd give the nod to finley...but don't tell mavs#1fan, because he's currently in the process of trying to start crap)