Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-27-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Nuggets aim to buy out Jackson

Added: 27th September, 2002

Mark Spears of the Denver Post reports that The Denver Nuggets are expected to buy point guard Mark Jackson out of his contract as early as today.

"That's the way we are heading," said Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe, when asked about the possibility. "I understand Mark's perspective. It will allow us a little more flexibility. Mark is a very good friend of mine, I have a lot of respect for him and I would have enjoyed him being around him this year. But I definitely understand."

Jackson came to the Nuggets as part of the trade with the Knicks that brought Marcus Camby and Nene Hilario to Denver. Since the trade, Jackson has expressed reservations about playing in Denver. He would prefer to for a playoff contender this late in his career Vandeweghe had negotiations with Jackson’s agent, Arn Tellem on Thursday and could announce a buyout agreement as early as today.

Jackson is slated to make $4.2 million this season and $4.5 million during the 2003-04 season (which includes a $2.25 million buyout option). Jackson and Tellem could not be reached for comment.

If he is bought out, Jackson will be placed on waivers. After he clears waivers, he will be an unrestricted free agent. The Utah Jazz, looking for a veteran backup to John Stockton, are reportedly interested in signing Jackson if he clears waivers.

Without Jackson, the Nuggets are left with two true point guards in second-year Kenny Satterfield and rookie Junior Harrington, who has an unguaranteed contract. Swingman George McCloud has seen a lot of action at point guard for Denver. Also, NBA free-agent veteran point guard Darrick Martin is expected to be in training camp, which begins Tuesday. Other free-agent point guards still available include Rod Strickland, ex-Nugget Robert Pack, Greg Anthony, Mookie Blaylock, Damon Jones, Rafer Alston and Dana Barros.