Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-20-2002, 05:31 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

The Mavericks Report
by "Maven" Dawn Santoianni
HOOPSWORLD.com
Aug 18, 2002, 11:00am

Apologies to all for skipping my weekly report last Sunday. The move to my new digs left me without Internet connectivity for an entire weekend (gasp). I returned to the web world Monday to discover Mark Cuban found a new cause celebrité during a lull in the long, boring 2002 summer of free agency – insurance coverage for Mavericks scheduled to compete in the World Championships later this month. Mark this time has not only logic but financial sense on his side, so while no one will argue he’s wrong (actually he’s quite right), words are quite different from actions. While Germany did not want to risk Dirk Nowitzki pulling out at the behest of his boss and secured the additional insurance, Michael Finley and Raef LaFrentz have made their decision to compete for Team USA, despite what Cuban calls inadequate insurance should they suffer an injury. From Finley’s and LaFrentz’s perspective, they’re covered no matter what – guaranteed contract and all. Of course Cuban is the one that would take a bath not only in paying direct salary but the additional luxury tax and replacement player salary and tax should either player get injured. But that’s okay I guess, since he’s a billionaire. Ever notice how easy it is to gamble with someone else’s money?

Steve Nash, however, has decided to withdraw from the Canadian national team, to the resounding cheers of Mavericks fans everywhere. Not that Mavs fans are anti-patriotic or anti-Canadian, but we’ve seen the ugly, lingering effects of Nash’s participation in summer basketball two years ago when nagging injuries and extreme fatigue left the Mavericks with only Howard Eisley as floor leader. I was heartened to hear Nash had decided that the wear and tear on his body while giving all for Canada this summer ultimately would hurt the Mavericks postseason chances, and Canada’s Olympic hopes. But what is particularly frightening is the language Nash chose in giving his reasons for not competing: "I'm just not ready to play, mentally or physically," Nash said. "I'm just too tired and too burned out." As soon as I read that, I grabbed for my calendar. Yep, just as I thought – its mid August, not mid-May. I figured three months would be enough time to rest and recoup, but Nash is still feeling "burned out" with 6 weeks left before training camp. There’s reason to worry, Mavs fans.

I would have rather heard Nash blame Cuban or the insurance issue for his decision. And while I don’t doubt that entered into the decision, I take Steve’s words at face value. Even the Canadian press had been remarking how lethargic and uninspired he seemed during practices. Suddenly, Mark Cuban and Don Nelson look even more like geniuses. After all, Nick Van Exel is standing by and more than capable of taking over. Suddenly, I’m grateful it’s the much maligned, volatile Van Exel and not Charlie Ward (rumored to be a possible pawn in Van Exel to Knicks trade) sitting on the Dallas bench. Which got me thinking...if Nash is still so fatigued (and probably won’t be miraculously ready to rock come October), who’s to say that he should be the starter for the entire season? Maybe training camp will give Tricky Nick the opportunity to show why he should start half the season. And what better way to keep Nick happy then to let him share the starter’s role. The more I thought about it, the more sense it made. Preserve Nash for the end of season grind and playoffs, while getting Van Exel comfortable with the Mavericks system and his teammates.

"Glamourboy" Dirk.
Since I’ve been trying to follow this insurance mess, I inevitably end up reading the German news quite a bit. While my Deutsch is still developing, I have friends who are kind enough to forward on some translations (thanks Jever and Raina!). The German media have closely been following the insurance issue for months, and story after story has talked about how important Dirk is to his national team for the upcoming World’s. Quoting from a recent story, Dirk is the "Glamourboy of German Basketball." He is also the glamourboy of Dallas basketball, and the Mavericks will go as far as Dirk takes them. What some American fans may not know is that the European Supercup just ended, which is quite big in Germany and Yugoslavia. The Yugoslavian team led by Peja Stojakovic successfully defended their cup title with a narrow win over Germany. Dirk Nowitzki has played very well in Supercup action, averaging over 22 ppg, and to the delight of German (and Dallas) fans, seemed to suffer no ill effects from ankle surgery performed earlier this summer.

Waiting on Rashard.
Will Rashard Lewis make up his mind sometime this century? First it was friend Desmond Mason’s wedding that had things on hold, now he is still listening and talking to Seattle, despite his threats to walk if they didn’t increase their offer. Well Rashard? Time to either put up or shut up, as they say. If respect is that important to you then sign with the Mavs. Otherwise, get on with it and accept your guaranteed money from the Sonics. Meanwhile, the Mavericks continue to wait like the homely wallflower at a high school dance as the Kings snatch up freaky Keon Clark, and the Nets net burly Rodney Rogers. What bothers me is not that Clark is such a great player, but that he went to the competition. As if the Kings needed more frontcourt help when it comes to the Mavericks. The Mavs were already seriously outmatched with Webber, Divac, and Pollard down low. Now they have Clark too, who turns into superman whenever Shawn Bradley is on the court (remember the freaky one-armed sky hook slam over the Mantis?). Meanwhile, the Mavs boast Nowitzki, Wang and LaFrentz, who are usually camped out on the three-point arc, and Bradley who is crumbling to the floor whenever he isn’t picking up a technical for trying to take off someone’s face with a pointy elbow. Next we’ll see Charles Oakley sign with the Lakers, because they need more bulk, obviously.

Cuban has said if the right player comes along, the Mavs will use their mid-level exception even if Lewis has not made a decision. Yeah, right. When have you known Cuban to not try and spoil someone else’s party? Isn’t that the reason he traded for the underachieving Christian Laettner, so the Lakers wouldn’t get their paws on him? Portland and New York were rumored to be negotiating for LaFrentz at the deadline last February, until Cuban swooped in with cash, picks and the offer to take on big contracts. So why not spoil the Kings’ chances at Keon? No, the Mavs have decided to wait on Lewis, no matter what. If Lewis decides to take the Sonics’ offer (and that looks very likely since he has yet to jump at the Mavs’ money), then who does Dallas get as a consolation prize? Maybe the Mavs are hoping Arvydas Sabonis passes up the $10 million from the Spanish team or $6 million from the Blazers to accept their $4.5 mil. Yeah, that seems quite probable.
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The supercup isn´t big in germany.
And Dirk didn´t play "very well" in those games. He was average at best and looked a little rusty (no surprise when you consider he just had a foot surgery).
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 07:22 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

The expression is 'cause célèbre' isn't it?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote