Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 AM   #121
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs
Diamond Member

MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant futureMavsWiLLHaVeRinGs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
No offense to Kidd, but Mavs should have traded for Billups. This guy is a winner
IIRC they did try to get Billups at one time but Detroit said no.
MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #122
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
Damn. Denver got lucky they had unhappy AI at the same time Detroit was looking for a change
vRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #123
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Denver 1

C.Billups 34:23 fg 10-15 | 3p 8-9 | ft 8-8 | +30 36 pts

Wow !
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #124
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Miami 4th quarter FG% = .158

DWade with 19 points in 40 mins (8-21)...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-20-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #125
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsWiLLHaVeRinGs View Post
I believe the official statement was, "we were never in the Billups race to begin with."

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM   #126
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

New AI owns. I miss the old AI though =[

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #127
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

How many turnovers did Wade end up with yesterday? He was looking like he was a step slow (he hadn't played a minute since his 55 point game against the Knickerbockers).

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #128
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was an interesting take. I'm not sure I buy into it, but it's interesting.

Link
Quote:
David Thorpe Loves Joakim Noah's Foul
April 20, 2009 10:34 AM

You can see it at about the 2:30 mark of this video.
In a nutshell, with the Bulls up one and the game clock in its final seconds, Paul Pierce made his way with the ball towards the elbow, shadowed by Kirk Hinrich. Joakim Noah -- who had been watching Glen Davis under the hoop -- thundered out to help on Pierce.
As Noah approached, Pierce rose to fire.
Noah crushed the ball, and (although it's a little hard to tell on regular speed video) quite probably a hunk of Pierce's arm, too.

It was a foul on Noah. He argued it a little, but I think just about everyone had already convicted him. Despite his NCAA championships, his hustle and his great play all night in Boston, he's still the guy who got busted by the cops, essentially for partying. He's the guy who recently said on the record that his friends could make their own version of Entourage with their antics. He's the guy with the crazy hair, the crazy screaming, and the crazy dance moves.

And what's he doing? He's fouling the jump shooter, as in, he's breaking one of basketball's oldest axioms. With the game on the line. Potentially negating the high point of post-Jordan Bulls history.
I don't know what Noah's teammate Kirk Hinrich was feeling at the moment of that play -- was he exasperated at Noah, or the referee? -- but he was surely disgusted. Watch his body language. Just fed up. Announcers, fans, media ... everyone seemed to agree this was a disastrously good example of what's wrong with Joakim Noah.
Noah didn't help matters by standing there holding his head in disbelief at the call. He didn't look like a guy who knew what he was doing.

And yet somewhere the smartest basketball guy I know, David Thorpe, cheered. When Noah fell to the Bulls on draft day 2007, Thorpe told me that he thought the Bulls would win a championship with him.
The kinds of things that made him say that, believe it or not, were at the heart of this play.
"Sure," says Thorpe, "I wish he didn't come down quite so aggressively. But you're playing the defending champions on the road. This is a Paul Pierce jumper from the free throw line. You can't play solid. You have to make a play."

The irony, he points out, is that this play is right out of Tom Thibodeau's Boston Celtics' playbook. One thing that Thorpe and his IMG Academies colleague Mike Moreau have been noticing all year about the Celtics is that they do foul jump shooters. Not constantly, but more than most good defensive teams.
And to Moreau and Thorpe, that's OK.

"The reality is that you need to contest shots so aggressively all the time," Thorpe explains. "That's what Joakim does. You ask him to go hard, and he goes hard. The Celtics, too. And you can't go that hard and not cross the line once in a while. Coach Moreau said it's like asking someone to run 28 miles, and then getting mad because they ran 28 miles and one foot."

Thorpe points out that Joakim Noah holds the all-time record for blocks in the Final Four, and in the NCAA tournament -- despite the fact that he's not really known as a shot-blocker. That, Thorpe says, is because Noah contests shots hard. "The fact is, you can't apply standard rules to that guy," says Thorpe. "And Gator fans know what I mean when I say 'thank goodness.' His pushing those limits is a big reason why Florida won two titles, instead of none."

Thorpe points out that the Bulls were making big aggressive contests like that all night, and did that help Ray Allen into a bad night? That's the idea ... "Ray Allen had a good look at the end of overtime," says Thorpe, "and missed badly. One thing he might have been thinking was 'here they come ... I better get rid of it quickly.'"

If you get people thinking like that, that's good defense.
Thorpe contrasts it to how Hedo Turkoglu defended the final possession against Andre Iguodala. Everybody agrees that was great defense by Turkoglu, and he sure didn't foul the jump shooter. But Thorpe posits that by being determined not to foul, Turkoglu's defense lost a little edge.
"To play at the highest level," says Thorpe, "you're going to to over the top sometimes. You'll risk some mistakes. And that's OK. Sometimes, you're not playing percentages ... you just want to go play. To me, Hedo Turkoglu is 6-10, and Andre Iguodala is 6-6 -- just make a play. I don't care what happens. Make that play. That's what Joakim did, and I'll take it."

And in the end of course, the fates smiled on Noah for his aggression, as so often seems to happen. Not only did Paul Pierce miss one of the free throws to ensure overtime, but they also proved Noah somewhat correct -- in overtime Pierce made that exact same shot with ease. We'll never know if his earlier shot would have gone in, thanks to Joakim Noah, and that could be a good thing for Bulls fans.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 04-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 PM   #129
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I don't know why all of the announcers went ape sh*t over Noah's foul. It ALMOST wasn't one. He just barely got the wrist. In another year, he'll be able to make that play without fouling.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #130
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

It was all ball. But, you just have to have a better understanding of the situation. It was against Paul Pierce in Boston, a foul being called was pretty much premeditated.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #131
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
It was all ball. But, you just have to have a better understanding of the situation. It was against Paul Pierce in Boston, a foul being called was pretty much premeditated.
Say what? He was all over his arm.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #132
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaverick View Post
Yeah, there was no "understanding." Noah got him.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #133
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Funny: Noah has a clean block on Perkins, foul called. Then Perkins acts and mouths off and Noah gets the T. Nice job refs.

Last edited by Fidel; 04-20-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #134
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

And now the same ref overrules a foul on Perkins which clearly was the right call and calls it on Noah instead?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #135
vRookie

vRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to allvRookie is a name known to all

Yep. I guess Stern called the refs to make sure Cs don't go down 0-2 in this series
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM   #136
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Noah is playing like a Troll-like beast, in a good way.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #137
vRookie

This chicago team has a lot of heart, not so much brains though
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #138
Fidel
Diamond Member

Yeah I kinda like Noah. He allways gives 100%.

I happen to like this Bulls team. Reminds me of the late 80´s when MJ´s Bulls got me interested as a kid. After the desaster years with Curry and the likes it´s good to see them building something again.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #139
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Salmons would be nice to have had. Ty Thomas is blocking everything and has a nice mid-range J now.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #140
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vRookie View Post
This chicago team has a lot of heart, not so much brains though
They are young, they can learn.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #141
vRookie

Yeah, I can't believe Chicago had never won in this building in the playoffs prior to Saturday's win. That's unbelievable considering how dominant Bulls were back in the day
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #142
CadBane
Banned

IMO, these Bulls are the most fun playoff team to watch in the EC.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #143
vRookie

Who is that Nocioni look-alike on bulls bench?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #144
CadBane
Banned

Aaron Gray.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:23 PM   #145
vRookie

Pierce got owned by a rookie. wow
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #146
CadBane
Banned

Rose D'ing up PP.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #147
vRookie

Thanks, CadBane
Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #148
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Funny. Due to trades and injury, the Bulls had nine guys average double figures for them this season.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #149
Fidel
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
IMO, these Bulls are the most fun playoff team to watch in the EC.
Yep.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #150
CadBane
Banned

When did Perkins get a post game?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #151
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I sure hope the celtics get beat by chicago...so I don't have to inadvetantly see the foul-mouthed garnett making out like an idiot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #152
CadBane
Banned

Ben Gordon!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #153
vRookie

Gordon drilling them
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #154
Fidel
Diamond Member

Gordon on fire. Man I love the blocks. Bulls playing with great intensity.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #155
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

5 pts. up , 3 minutes to go and Bulls start celebrating. The should know the Celtics better.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #156
CadBane
Banned

Gordon has shot at least 41% from three every year he's played (5), that's pretty crazy.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #157
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Ben Gordon... WOW!
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #158
vRookie

15 blocked shots by the bulls. That's eff'n amazing

Last edited by vRookie; 04-20-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #159
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

Ben Gordon. What. The. FRAK.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #160
CadBane
Banned

Gordon is a Uber Terry.

Tags
5 piece mcnuggets, 92b anti-basketball rant, clutchbane! lol, got a bit fluffy in here, kobe may opt out, pop rockets, throwfootballoverthemmtns