Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #1481
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

this is a little off topic but i have a feeling bosh will be in a dallas uniform in 2010!!
think about it
-hes from dallas, born and raised!!
-toronto is never gonna do or win anything
-we need a center of his pressence!!!!
whatcha think??
i think cubans waiting til next season and will go this season with damp and hollins!!!
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2009, 09:12 PM   #1482
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

The last thing I could possibly want is a guy like Chris Bosh to be our center. He's a PF without a doubt. We need a bruiser at the 5, plain and simple, and Bosh is a borderline-soft jumpshooter and always will be. Great player. But not made for the center position.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #1483
mavsfan4lyfe201

mavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these partsmavsfan4lyfe201 is infamous around these parts

exactly..he is not a good option at the 5. but he is the most likely FA to come to dallas due to those reasons..im hopin for joe johnson instead, and a beast in the paint..i do think the mavs will win a title within a few years. i hope its this year! (if we ever get a center) and F THE MAGIC. that douche otis snubbed us bad. karma will F him in the A.
mavsfan4lyfe201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #1484
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

Andris Biedrins anyone?
Old 07-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #1485
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

F yeah!

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #1486
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwitzki View Post
Andris Biedrins anyone?
pipe dream, he is the prized player of GS and even less likely to be traded than Monta Elis, they will only do it if they are getting a super star in return.

Last edited by mavs777; 07-14-2009 at 10:24 PM.
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM   #1487
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Once again Thomas86 has crossed the line.
(How's that? )
Wow you must be a comedian!!!!
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #1488
darkwitzki
Golden Member

darkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of lightdarkwitzki is a glorious beacon of light

How bout this? :

Eddy Curry showed he has his weight and his game back under control during a two-day visit to the NBA Summer League. But his personal strength coach, Thomas Weatherspoon, emphasized that the Knicks should not expect him to show up for training camp at his fictitiously listed weight of 285. "Honestly, when coaches are saying he has to get back to 285, they're delusional," said Weatherspoon, who came with Curry for a midsummer progress report. "They don't have a clue; that's not where he can go. If he goes back to 285, that would make him a scrawny kid. One of the things we're doing is adding more muscle now.

Curry weighs 328, Weatherspoon said, 30 pounds lighter than when he started a strict diet and fitness regimen in late May. For the first five days of the program, Curry was limited to fresh-squeezed juices and broths while he went through a cycle of a colon-cleansing product. He lost 15 pounds from that alone.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...,5194704.story

Wonder why did he get really fat??

Last edited by darkwitzki; 07-15-2009 at 12:48 AM.
darkwitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #1489
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wonder why did he get really fat??
http://api.ning.com/files/*rfculJuTX...urryBigMac.bmp

Last edited by sefant77; 07-15-2009 at 01:00 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 AM   #1490
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Someone in another forum translated a quote from Gortat.

"I didn't switch from american time zone yet so I could calmly talk with my agent at night. the case of my contract is is quite complicated. Everyone tap me on my arm saying that most important thing is that I have the money which I already negotiated. I know that well but it would be stupid If it turns up that Dallas offer will be matched by Orlando and after 90 days I will be traded for other player from team which fights for 10 wins in a season"

So he does not want to be traded to a bad team. I still can't believe Otis matched this, they have one unhappy hammer on their hands.

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #1491
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well Smith doesn't give a rats rear end what gortat thinks. It'll be interested to see how he does really...I expect he'll be traded by end of next year...to some crappy team probably.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #1492
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Well Smith doesn't give a rats rear end what gortat thinks. It'll be interested to see how he does really...I expect he'll be traded by end of next year...to some crappy team probably.
Remember this year Gortat can simply say no to every team he doesnt like.

A lot can still go wrong for Otis.

They have a great trade but Gortat doesnt like the club.

Gortat blows his knees in november or december and probably no one wanna trade him for 2 seasons.

He becomes really unhappy and unmotivated and getting close to a Diop 2.0

And of course that Gortat really isnt so good and get stucked on his level now.

Last edited by sefant77; 07-15-2009 at 01:43 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 AM   #1493
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
The Magic and Otis Smith have every right to do what they have done. But in so doing they have embraced the ugly side of basketball. Here's a guy who is young enough to reach his ceiling with more playing time... he prefers to be in Dallas, his agent wants him in Dallas.. his fans in Poland want him in Dallas and that dream will never be realized. It's just a lose-lose for everyone including the Magic because there's simply not enough pt for everyone. Maybe SVG is a magician and he can someone keep Bass and Gortat happy, but I kind of doubt it. I'm not bitter but more disappointed. Not just because I'm a Mavs fan but for all the principles involved in the situation. I frankly don't know how Otis Smith can sleep at night.....
I wouldn't call it the ugly side of basketball. If you do your job scouting and developing a player you should have a chance to keep him if he gets good.

As far as Gortat if he really wanted to control his own destiny he could have signed his qualifying offer and been free to play anywhere he wanted next year.

Both Dallas and Gortat knew the risk they were taking so as much as I hate how it turned out Otis Smith didn't do anything wrong by matching the offer. He's trying to keep his team competitive with the East getting better around him.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:37 AM   #1494
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I wouldn't call it the ugly side of basketball. If you do your job scouting and developing a player you should have a chance to keep him if he gets good.

As far as Gortat if he really wanted to control his own destiny he could have signed his qualifying offer and been free to play anywhere he wanted next year.

Both Dallas and Gortat knew the risk they were taking so as much as I hate how it turned out Otis Smith didn't do anything wrong by matching the offer. He's trying to keep his team competitive with the East getting better around him.
You're quite right, sir. Smith did what he thought was best for the organization he's working for. It was clear from the beginning that he was allowed to match the Mavs' offer, regardless of Gortat's preferences. That's what he did, and it happens all the time.

Gortat might be unhappy? Fine, but this man will make more money in one year for throwing a ball into a basket in beautiful Florida than most people will make in their entire lives. When his new contract has run out, he will never have to work again and still live a wonderful life. At age 30. Do we really have to feel for him?

In the NBA, contrary to other sports, players are traded from one club to another all the time without even being asked whether they like it or not. Do you think Donnie asked Antoine Wright about his opinion on the recent four-team trade and whether he wanted to move to Toronto? Probably not. And Donnie might actually have cared about Wright's opinion and destiny, but in the end it just doesn't matter in this league. GMs do what they think is in the best interest of their team. Remember when Devean George had a clause in his contract that allowed him to reject trades, most people were furious about it and didn't want a player (or maybe just George... ) to have that much control over his future.

One might not be fond of that practice, but it seems a little hypocritical to go after Smith for doing his job the way every single GM does it. I'm just as disappointed as most of you that we weren't able to acquire Gortat, but it's a little too simple to blame Smith for it, not to mention throwing blind hate at him. I hope we're just kidding around.

Last edited by dalger; 07-15-2009 at 02:41 AM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #1495
darkwitzki
Golden Member

burn him at stake..
Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 AM   #1496
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish22 View Post
Someone in another forum translated a quote from Gortat.

"I didn't switch from american time zone yet so I could calmly talk with my agent at night. the case of my contract is is quite complicated. Everyone tap me on my arm saying that most important thing is that I have the money which I already negotiated. I know that well but it would be stupid If it turns up that Dallas offer will be matched by Orlando and after 90 days I will be traded for other player from team which fights for 10 wins in a season"

So he does not want to be traded to a bad team. I still can't believe Otis matched this, they have one unhappy hammer on their hands.
Gortat seems like a smart guy. And that 10 wins a season, in my eyes, would be the Rockets. I don't think they are a playoff team anymore after losing Artest and Ming out for the season.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #1497
darkwitzki
Golden Member

Gortat should hide in Poland and have a plastic surgery then put in a new identity and have Nelson contact him as a european project.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #1498
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Gortat should hide in Poland and have a plastic surgery then put in a new identity and have Nelson contact him as a european project.
Maybe he could dress up as Pavel Podkolzin
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #1499
NYMAVGUY

NYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura aboutNYMAVGUY has a spectacular aura about

Let's get Odom!
NYMAVGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #1500
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post

I agree Smith didn't do anything illegal or wrong from a business perspective. But when you weigh the pros and cons of re-signing the guy it's not even close imo. It's a surprising move and one that doesn't make much sense. It's also heartless. The NBA is obviously a business but there is a human factor that shouldn't be ignored. Too often ignoring the human factor screws up team chemistry and signals the decline of an organization. The Magic have done the equivalent of an "all in" by signing both Gortat and Bass. If it doesn't end up in a championship in the next year or two, then may very well be headed for a rough road. You go too far in the direction of treating these talented players like property and it will end up biting you in the arse. Just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #1501
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder if we could've inserted some "poison pill" such as needs to play 20min per game otherwise some nasty incentive kicks in.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #1502
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Smith and Donnie had a handshake deal, and he reneged on it. Now that may not be illegal, but it most definitely is unethical. Or was that not the case?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #1503
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Smith and Donnie had a handshake deal, and he reneged on it. Now that may not be illegal, but it most definitely is unethical. Or was that not the case?
I'm not sure if we know that for sure. If they didn't have some wink-wink agreement, then Donnie should be reprimanded by Cuban for giving up Bass so easily. Seems to me Bass could have been used as leverage.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM   #1504
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Haha, to be honest, once Orlando swapped out VC for Hedo, they will not be in the finals a year from now, VC does not have the urgency to win, he has the urgency to be a showman, this will not bode well for Howard, they will have some hissy fits during the post season, but they will reconcile by having a sit down next offseason it'll the be the same crap, i wouldn't worry too much about Orlando for the next couple of seasons. Cleveland and Boston are the top 2 competitors. I'd keep an eye on Toronto and Atl as a couple of squads that could be on the rise.....Mavs can put a wrench on those plans.

Let's move on....Gortats not going to be a Mav. The Magic have their issues and we have ours.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #1505
clutch#41
Golden Member

clutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the roughclutch#41 is a jewel in the rough

we found our new center!!!! lol
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.323f903.html
clutch#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:22 PM   #1506
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch#41 View Post
That is poorly written article. Hubbard doesn't even really delve into what makes his journey so special. On top of that, the kid isn't even ready to play a summer league game. Not really sure how this made it to the DMN sports page.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #1507
Spurs817

Spurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these parts

Wow, this is quite a thread you all got going for a guy your not getting, your FO is pathetic.

Last edited by Spurs817; 07-15-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Spurs817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #1508
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Quote:
We don't have any evidence to suggest that, really. It's just hard to believe that Dallas would help Orlando get that trade exception in the Marion deal and let Bass walk away so easily without at least once discussing Gortat with the Magic.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #1509
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
I do wonder if we could've inserted some "poison pill" such as needs to play 20min per game otherwise some nasty incentive kicks in.
haha that would have been awesome
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:31 PM   #1510
badfish22
Golden Member

badfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant futurebadfish22 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs817 View Post
Wow, this is quite a thread you all got going
Wow, thats quite a life you got going

BEAT LA
badfish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #1511
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack View Post
We don't have any evidence to suggest that, really. It's just hard to believe that Dallas would help Orlando get that trade exception in the Marion deal and let Bass walk away so easily without at least once discussing Gortat with the Magic.
Stern would love that, if we did, it's 2 independent deals. There would be some regulations that manage 2 separate deals. I don't think you can give incentive for someone not to match the deal....and if you want under the table, forget it, Stern would love to screw Cuban any way he can.....but bottomline, Otis Smith sucks cock for waiting this long to match it. It doesn't take 3 or 4 days for them to figure out their matching, Otis just screwed us because he didn't want us to go back to Bass and match or exceed the Magic's offer...once Bass signed, Otis matched. He's not a moron, just someone who took advantage of Cuban's generosity...hidiing behind the cloak of misinformation that they are an unwilling payor of the luxury tax.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #1512
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Exactly what I thought, especially the way we let Bass go. As soon as Bass left I thought Gortat was ours and that may have very well been the handshake deal. Otis decided to be greedy. This is all speculation but if this was really the case then Otis Smith is a true D*ckhead.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #1513
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

God I hope the Magic miss every shot and Lose every single game next year. F them.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #1514
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

As soon as Bass signed with Orlando I was thinking it didn't feel right. That gave Orlando way too much leverage. Whether we would have outbid them on Bass is undetermined, but at the very least it would have given them a potential deterrent to think about.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #1515
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien View Post
As soon as Bass signed with Orlando I was thinking it didn't feel right. That gave Orlando way too much leverage. Whether we would have outbid them on Bass is undetermined, but at the very least it would have given them a potential deterrent to think about.
No doubt, Smith knew all along in his mind, he was matching Gortat....he also wanted Bass all along....the assumption throughout the media was that Orlando won't pay the tax and that was a wide spread assumption. Once Bass signed he matched Gortat. I probably thought he would give Bass a deadline to take the deal and given it was 4 million per, it beat anything he got on the market. I doubt they had a handshake deal....more of ideology that Orlando is not a lux tax payer, which is driven by the media and history, Smith went against both. We got smoked either way.....it just opens your eyes to how much of an ass Smith is.....he played his cards well and basically thanks for doing business Mark!!
Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #1516
Cerrakin

Cerrakin will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof View Post
Ha yes. I wonder if that's legal in the NBA. Check this out from the NFL:

Quote:
similar clauses have appeared in other contract offers, including a contract offered to Vikings wide receiver Nate Burleson by the Seahawks, which, with irony fully intended, was structured as a seven year, $49 million deal. The contract given to Burleson had two vengeful poison pill clauses in response to the contract offered to Hutchinson. Firstly, it stipulated that if Burleson were to play five or more games in the state of Minnesota during any single season over the life of the contract, the entire $49 million would become guaranteed. Secondly, if Burleson were to earn more per year on average than all of his team's running backs combined, the $49 million would be guaranteed. Since the Vikings play half of their games at home in Minnesota, and their running backs combined earned less per year than the $7 million in Burleson's contract, Minnesota was unable to match it.
Cerrakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #1517
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats to Otis Smith for signing an unrestricted free agent and reclaiming his own restricted free agent.

Whoop-de-doo, what a genius.

If the playing field was even, Cuban wins no matter what. If Gortat was unrestricted, he signs with the Mavs and we don't give a rodent's behind what happens to Bass. If Bass was restricted, then Gortat signs the MLE offer first, and Smith's seven-day timer runs out first. Matching pretty much guarantees he won't get Bass, but not matching would allow Cuban to screw him over by keeping both players anyway if he wants.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #1518
Jon Avalon
Platinum Member

Jon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to allJon Avalon is a name known to all

lol saw this posted on the DB forums, got a chuckle out of it.

Titled Gortat spotted in Otis Smith's office. Can you read the body language?
http://i27.tinypic.com/30b350i.jpg

Last edited by Jon Avalon; 07-15-2009 at 05:44 PM.
Jon Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #1519
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurs817 View Post
Wow, this is quite a thread you all got going for a guy your not getting, your FO is pathetic.
Pretty f-in sad that you had to edit your still pathetic post. Your original post was "Wow, this is quite a thread"....wow, glad a fan of another team has no life but to browse other teams boards.....just to give such fantastic insight.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #1520
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Pretty f-in sad that you had to edit your still pathetic post. Your original post was "Wow, this is quite a thread"....wow, glad a fan of another team has no life but to browse other teams boards.....just to give such fantastic insight.
queue that pic of the scoreboard
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic threads, epic fail, f otis, hammered, he's polish, no gortat no chance, offseason trolls!, orlandomatchesoffer, otis loves polish sausage, otis you son of a..., that's racist!, the return of windmill, trade black, we win super balls now?