Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 AM   #1
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road
Default Jamison for Martin/Zo?

I saw this trade on LMF and thought it was pretty good. Martin is a slam dunk as far as an upgrade in talent over Jamison but taking the contract of Zo is harsh. But that's the only reason New Jersey would consider it.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2003, 10:20 AM   #2
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Jamison for Martin/Zo?

I'd take Zo's contract in a heart beat if we could get Martin for Jamison.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:58 AM   #3
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future
Default RE: Jamison for Martin/Zo?

ok, unless we could stick Martin at the 3 then i dont do this, and even then i still dont like it because it keeps Dirk at the 5. Or we could put Dirk at the 4, Walker at the 3, and Martin at the 5 but with Martin only being 6'9" 234 he would be undersized...would it work? i dont know...how does Martin play against larger opponents in the post? His stats are there and I like the notion of having his attitude on this team..but ultimately would it be worth covering a players contract who will never play again.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Dirkenstein,

I share your concern with Martin at the 5, but we already have 2 guys with less ability at the 5. Ben Wallace is what, 6'9". So are Kurt Thomas and Brian Grant I think. True, they are all in the East, but my point is that his height alone would not necessarily be a deterent.

How has he done against Duncan, for instance? There are no Shaq stoppers. We need someone who can play against Duncan, Elton Brand, Garnett's, etc.

BTW, I thought Fortson was doing a nice job on Brand.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 12:44 PM   #5
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I'd think really hard about it.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

i share dirkensteins concerns as well...but the more important thing that you guys havent touched on is this...Martins contract is up after this year...and there is no way in hell we could resign him and Nash. And with Martin i doubt we win a championship this year
Old 12-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Martins contract is up after this year...and there is no way in hell we could resign him and Nash
Why?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Martins contract is up after this year...and there is no way in hell we could resign him and Nash
Why?
Nash we have the Larry Bird Exception right? So Martin would have to take a MLE?

Is that right?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #9
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Mark has said that if the Mavs win the championship this year he'd sign AW to a long term contract. If he can afford to do that, he could afford to sign KMart to a long term contract. No reason to assume that money would be an obstacle.

I'd probably do this trade. We're just not using AJ, and at this point I've lost my optimism that that will change. KMart's a better defender/shot-blocker/rebounder, not as good at creating his own shot, his mid-range to outside jumper is roughly on par with AJ's. We'd have to start him, but I'd feel quite comfortable starting a lineup of Steve, Mike, AW, Dirk, and KMart, and I'd venture to say that lineup would be better than our current one. Not sure New Jersey would want to take on AJ's contract (since it's roughly the same as what KMart will be wanting next year, just with the first couple years already paid out), but they could sure use someone who can score in the half-court set.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road

Martin wont take the MLE hes gonna want a big time deal
Old 12-12-2003, 01:32 PM   #11
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

If you trade now for Martin, doesnt that give you his Bird rights aswell? Actually - iirc - Bird Rights (if there are any) are always owned by a team owning his contract, so only if we try to sign him away from another team we cannot execute em, ain´t we?
Old 12-12-2003, 01:34 PM   #12
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: seelenjaeger
If you trade now for Martin, doesnt that give you his Bird rights aswell? Actually - iirc - Bird Rights (if there are any) are always owned by a team owning his contract, so only if we try to sign him away from another team we cannot execute em, ain´t we?
That's my understanding. I'm not aware of any reason outside of Mark becoming a miser that would prevent us from resigning him if we traded for him.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:54 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
Originally posted by: seelenjaeger
That's my understanding. I'm not aware of any reason outside of Mark becoming a miser that would prevent us from resigning him if we traded for him.
I only think that Mark would not put up the money if he was getting poor performance on the court. In that case would we really want him back?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #14
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Very interesting Max. Boy that would be a tough one. I like Martin, but haven't watched the Nets this year.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:31 PM   #15
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I hate to be cheap with Mark Cuban's money, but signing Martin & Nash & Walker and paying off the rest of Zo's uninsured contract plus the current deals with Finley, Dirk, Jamision, TAW, etc. is getting into very serious money.

And you're still weak in the pivot.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:34 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: SeriousSummer
I hate to be cheap with Mark Cuban's money, but signing Martin & Nash & Walker and paying off the rest of Zo's uninsured contract plus the current deals with Finley, Dirk, Jamision, TAW, etc. is getting into very serious money.

And you're still weak in the pivot.
1. It is serious money, but Cubes can afford it.
2. He doesn't have to pay if the players don't produce on the court. Or could just offer a 1 year contract.
3. With a strong player like Martin in the front court, we could get by with a mediocre center by committee. We already have Bradley, if we can find an average spare 7' center to go with him we'd be fairly well set.
Old 12-14-2003, 02:02 PM   #17
Walkerforthree
Golden Member

Walkerforthree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
I saw this trade on LMF and thought it was pretty good. Martin is a slam dunk as far as an upgrade in talent over Jamison but taking the contract of Zo is harsh. But that's the only reason New Jersey would consider it.
good call, lol
Walkerforthree is offline   Reply With Quote