Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
Caliente
Diamond Member

Caliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to allCaliente is a name known to all
Default Prince to Get Funky at Super Bowl

by Josh Grossberg Mon Dec 11, 8:15 AM ET

Los Angeles (E! Online) - Are you ready to go crazy?

Following in the footsteps of such mega-acts as the Rolling Stones and Paul McCartney, Prince is set to be the star performer for the Pepsi Super Bowl XLI Halftime Show, airing live on CBS Feb. 4 from Miami's Dolphin Stadium.
The big news was unveiled Sunday, during the Eye network's NFL Today and comes three days after His Purpleness grabbed five Grammy nominations for his new release, 3121, including Best R&B Album, Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song.
The invitation affords Prince, 48, the honor of playing in front of his largest audience ever at the highest-rated sporting event of the year.
An estimated 141 million U.S. viewers and nearly one billion people from over 230 countries worldwide tuned in for last year's Super Bowl, which saw the Stones serving as the main halftime attraction.
In 2005, McCartney headlined the show in a staid performance designed to counter the furor caused by Janet Jackson's infamous wardrobe malfunction at the 2004 pigskin classic—a nipple slip that resulted in legislation increasing indecency fines for broadcasters.
Prince has an extensive back catalog of hits to keep the festive crowd grooving when he takes center stage at the halftime extravaganza, including "Little Red Corvette," "1999," "Kiss," "Cream," "Let's Go Crazy," "U Got the Look" and "Raspberry Beret."
Super Bowl XLI's Halftime Show will be directed once again by veteran producer Don Mischer, whose Don Mischer Productions will executive produce with White Cherry Entertainment.
In addition to getting ready for some football, the artist formerly known as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince has been experiencing a musical renaissance of sorts over the last couple of years.
After his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004, Prince released Musicology, his biggest-selling CD since Diamonds and Pearls. The disc was followed by the same year's successful Musicology tour, which thrust him back in the limelight after years of toiling in obscurity—much of that due to his disdain for his former recording contract with Warner Bros., which led him to appear in public with the word "Slave" scrawled across his cheek and adopt a symbol for his name in protest in 1994.
Prince went on to win the NAACP Vanguard Award in 2005, and in April he scored his first number one debut ever on the Billboard album charts. The funkster also contributed a new tune, "Song of the Heart," to the Happy Feet soundtrack and opened up his first-ever club on the Las Vegas strip.

Last edited by Caliente; 12-11-2006 at 04:59 PM.
Caliente is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

nice font change.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Just as long as he doesn't have a wardrobe malfunction, I'm down with it.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Genius.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
I'm not a big fan of football, and I didn't see very much of the Super Bowl that year. My sister and I were at home when I said "Oh yeah, the Super Bowl's on." So we turned on the TV to see what was going on real quick and BAM! Wardrobe malfunction. Then we turned the TV off.

True story.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:04 AM   #6
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan
I'm not a big fan of football, and I didn't see very much of the Super Bowl that year. My sister and I were at home when I said "Oh yeah, the Super Bowl's on." So we turned on the TV to see what was going on real quick and BAM! Wardrobe malfunction. Then we turned the TV off.

True story.
That, sir, is an excellent story.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't they get someone worth a damn to perform at halftime?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Wierd Al at halftime would rock.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Prince for half-time? What a disappointment.

Prince once told one of his audio engineers, "We don't allow cameras, and we don't allow no non-funky people around here." I guess if your life's endeavor is to be funky, you can't have anyone detracting from your image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan

True story.
That's hilarious timing!

I was watching that superbowl with friends, and -thanks to the wonder of TiVo- we spent the remainder of the day repeatedly replaying the malfunction in slow motion. We conducted our own investigation as to whether it was planned, intentional, pleasing, etc.

(Okay, to be honest, we -probably- eventually watched the rest of the game, but I don't remember a bit of it.)
Old 12-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Would be better than Prince...not much, but definitely better.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You sir have read my mind.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:56 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Weird Al > Prince.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:40 PM   #13
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

To not respect Prince is to not respect musical ability.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Would you like some pancakes? Bitches.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

What is it with the pancakes?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 PM   #16
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Shoot the J!

SHOOT IT!

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterChaffy
To not respect Prince is to not respect musical ability.
People can have all the musical ability in the world and not use it in a manner that's worth a shit. Some of the most talented people in the world decide to use their 'talent' in a manner that doesn't fully convey that 'talent'.

Prince sucks ass. Do I respect him? No, ..not in the least bit. I have been around many people with significant musical ability... I can't say that what Prince does impresses me all that much.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #18
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Do you guys have that poor of music taste? Prince is a legend. Not only is he brilliant musician he was responsible for Morris Day and the Time. Not to mention Purple Rain. Graphiti Bridge, Diamonds and Pearls, Starfish and Coffee, an entire library of great music, all of which he actually plays live. He even appeared on the muppet show. Ever been to a Prince concert. It's a celebration of humanity and soul. Weird Al is a schtick guy who takes hit songs and changes the words. Any 8 year old can do that.
Geeze some people are clueless when it comes to music.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Prince is a piece of shit, and quite frankly.. so are you.

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-13-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #20
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Murphy is Wrong.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:48 PM   #21
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
Prince is a piece of shit, and quite frankly.. so are you.
Them's fight'n words.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM   #22
Murphy3
Guru

If you have a problem with me, then we should step outside.

... wait, is this the right thread for If/Then statements?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #23
rmacomic
Platinum Member

If you can't handle someone having an opposing opinion, then maybe you should go hang yourself.
...wait forget that just go hang yourself.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #24
Murphy3
Guru

You've gone overboard. You really don't know where to draw the line. My brother hung himself last year... It's really not something to joke about.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #25
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
You've gone overboard. You really don't know where to draw the line. My brother hung himself last year... It's really not something to joke about.
And I knew this how?
You called me a piece of shit for disagreeing with your music taste. You went overboard first, I dove in after you.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

It doesn't matter. Joking about suicide is never somewhere that you should go. Ya know, I was completely joking about you and prince. But, the suicide thing... you just went too far.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #27
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
It doesn't matter. Joking about suicide is never somewhere that you should go. Ya know, I was completely joking about you and prince. But, the suicide thing... you just went too far.
Fair enough,
I've ribbed with you before Murph,
I thought I had a better read on you than I obviously do. I really didn't think that one was going for the jugular, but if you will forgive me crossing the line sometimes, I promise you they will become less frequent as I get a better idea as to what is overboard or not. I lurked this forum for over a year before I signed up, and did so because I genuinely liked the place. I don't want to get kicked out over something like this.

Last edited by rmacomic; 12-13-2006 at 06:12 PM.
rmacomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #28
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

If we banned people for fighting with Murph we'd have about 9 members left by now.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:20 PM   #29
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
Fair enough,
I've ribbed with you before Murph,
I thought I had a better read on you than I obviously do. I really didn't think that one was going for the jugular, but if you will forgive me crossing the line sometimes, I promise you they will become less frequent as I get a better idea as to what is overboard or not. I lurked this forum for over a year before I signed up, and did so because I genuinely liked the place. I don't want to get kicked out over something like this.
I don't think you should be banned. I think you should leave on your own.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:25 PM   #30
rmacomic
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think you should be banned. I think you should leave on your own.
I wonder how many times you've heard that yourself.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:56 PM   #31
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Game......... blouses.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #32
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What is it with the pancakes?
its from chappelle show, when dave chappelle is doing a skit about prince..its pretty damn funny
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote