Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 03-30-2021, 12:33 AM   #1
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Lakers getting Drummond for free
Yeah it's ridiculous. The funny thing is though, I'm not really sure he helps them much. I mean, sure he helps them while Lebron and AD are out, but once they're back, I feel like all he does is clog up the offense. Their best lineups are always with AD at center.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #2
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yeah it's ridiculous. The funny thing is though, I'm not really sure he helps them much. I mean, sure he helps them while Lebron and AD are out, but once they're back, I feel like all he does is clog up the offense. Their best lineups are always with AD at center.
It does get tiresome seeing teams stack up talent like this. Yeah, it may not be the best fit at times, but talent is usually what wins. Having said that, my money is still on Denver. I'm rooting for them to win it all. I'd love to see a solid team that plays team basketball anchored by a big just tear through everybody and put a stake through the heart of the midget 3-ball, analytics fanbois. The Lakers got the ball rolling with their big lineups last year winning a title. Denver winning would likely solidify a transitional wave of copycats in the NBA moving more towards size and defense. It's long overdue imo. I just wish the Mavericks would get ahead of the trend and lead the way instead of being followers.

Last edited by turin; 04-05-2021 at 09:38 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #3
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody laying on the Nuggets getting to the finals? It looks effortless for them since acquiring Gordon. It pains me to think about how good he would be with Luka.

Also Saddiq Bey is so good. What could have been.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Anybody laying on the Nuggets getting to the finals? It looks effortless for them since acquiring Gordon. It pains me to think about how good he would be with Luka.

Also Saddiq Bey is so good. What could have been.
I had been wanting the Mavs to trade for Gordon for the past two years

He just checked a lot of boxes for things they needed and like you I felt as if he would have a been a great lob threat in Dallas playing with Luka.

Defensively he could defend 4-5 positions also something they needed.

I'm not even going to get into the rookie debates anymore because they simply blew it plain and simple.
Dallas41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
It does get tiresome seeing teams stack up talent like this. Yeah, it may not be the best fit at times, but talent is usually what wins. Having said that, my money is still on Denver. I'm rooting for them to win it all. I'd love to see a solid team that plays team basketball anchored by a big just tear through everybody and put a stake through the heart of the midget 3-ball, analytics fanbois. The Lakers got the ball rolling with their big lineups last year winning a title. Denver winning would likely solidify a transitional wave of copycats in the NBA moving more towards size and defense. It's long overdue imo. I just wish the Mavericks would get ahead of the trend and lead the way instead of being followers.
I mean... kinda? Not really?? They played big lineups in the regular season and were successful, yes. But in the finals, Dwight and Javale were liabilities. They dominated when they sat both of those guys and went with AD at center. Javale racked up DNP's in the finals, and even Dwight got only garbage time in game 6 (1:06 mins total.)

For the record, I'm not for or against "midget 3-ball." You should play to whatever the strengths are of your roster. Denver plays the way they do because they have an all-time great big in Jokic. And yes, I am already comfortable saying that Jokic is an all-time great. Ditto Lakers, Sixers, and Jazz.

The point is, you play bigs if your bigs are good. If they're not good, but you have a roster full of shooters, then you're probably better off with "midget 3 ball."

I do think a lot or people have taken the wrong lesson in the last decade or so and just assumed that you're better off with no bigs and always playing small ball. I obviously don't share your critique of Carlisle and the Mavericks being guilty of this trend.

I think the real lesson of analytics and the 3 point revolution of the last decade is that every person you put on the floor needs to contribute on both ends of the floor. In the previous era, the Erick Dampiers of the world could be starters for championship contenders just be being big and protecting the paint on defense. But in today's NBA, you can't really afford to play 4-on-5, on offense or on defense.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #6
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
TNT crew was so funny but they always keep it real

Called half the league GM's dumb by letting Drummond walk straight to LA

Was showing highlights of him playing tonight and said LA got the perfect player to bang with Jokic, Ayton and Gobert.

I personally don't by that non-sense that he can't play with AD upfront.

Even if the Lakers get 25-28 MPG from him on the floor with AD that is still better than any other frontline in the NBA.

Talent always trump system
Dallas41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #7
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
TNT crew was so funny but they always keep it real

Called half the league GM's dumb by letting Drummond walk straight to LA

Was showing highlights of him playing tonight and said LA got the perfect player to bang with Jokic, Ayton and Gobert.

I personally don't by that non-sense that he can't play with AD upfront.

Even if the Lakers get 25-28 MPG from him on the floor with AD that is still better than any other frontline in the NBA.

Context matters though. He will take less usage in LA because he's got a high chance to win a championship. He will not be ok with being a roll man on the Mavs for 8-10 shots max a game. Plus it's LA... all players want to be in LA. Plus I'm sure the Mavs and many others wanted him but did he even entertain ideas elsewhere? Nobody in contention has money to give him to not choose LA. So I disagree with TNT crew saying GM's "let him walk to LA".
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #8
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Context matters though. He will take less usage in LA because he's got a high chance to win a championship. He will not be ok with being a roll man on the Mavs for 8-10 shots max a game. Plus it's LA... all players want to be in LA. Plus I'm sure the Mavs and many others wanted him but did he even entertain ideas elsewhere? Nobody in contention has money to give him to not choose LA. So I disagree with TNT crew saying GM's "let him walk to LA".
Couldn’t have said it better myself.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #9
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Wish the mavs saw it this way.