Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #121
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
let it go, dan, let it go. fantasy players are normal people. we're not talking world of warcraft here.
Exactly. I was actually going to bring that up lol.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #122
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know BBL... The scale could tip either way on that comparison, though you are probably right... World of Warcraft nerd is a bit more nerdier than Fantasy sports nerd.

But isn't that like comparing turds? I mean, sure, chili turd is a bit smellier than chicken noodle turd, but they both smell like shit!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #123
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male23Dan
I don't know BBL... The scale could tip either way on that comparison, though you are probably right... World of Warcraft nerd is a bit more nerdier than Fantasy sports nerd.

But isn't that like comparing turds? I mean, sure, chili turd is a bit smellier than chicken noodle turd, but they both smell like shit!
I don't find fantasy sports nerdy, because it doesn't take up hours and hours, and it's about sports.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 10-19-2006, 09:54 PM   #124
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

...but remember nashty, it smells like shit! Surely that adds to its nerdiness, right?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #125
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

You should listen to Colin Cowherd every once in a while on ESPN radio during 9-12. He does some funny bits on fantasy sports nerd.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:05 PM   #126
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i guarantee that cowherd is in a fantasy league. all those talking heads like to rip on fantasy sports, but they all play.

as for the shit comparison, some would label extreme football fans (that know all the plays and formations) as nerds as well. so what is that? a beer and hot wing shit?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #127
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
i guarantee that cowherd is in a fantasy league. all those talking heads like to rip on fantasy sports, but they all play.

as for the shit comparison, some would label extreme football fans (that know all the plays and formations) as nerds as well. so what is that? a beer and hot wing shit?
No he doesn't... He has said as much several times.

And no, an extreme football fan that played it with flags, played it with helmets, played it on concrete, and watches it religiously is under no circumstance a nerd. Under no circumstance!
Old 10-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #128
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

that's what he says on the air. he's bashed it on the air. so why would he say he plays? but i guarantee he actually does. it will be the scandal of the worthless radio hosts when it's revealed.

and why is someone who played not a nerd when it comes to being obsessed? unless you're sticking to the nerd definition as someone with a pocket protector and taped-up glasses. but then that doesn't fit with people that play fantasy football. they're not like that...

just because you played doesn't make your obsession any less nerd-like.

i'm passionate about basketball. played it all my life (high school, college, city leagues, pick-up, etc.). but i can be characterized as a basketball nerd, as i know so much about the game and devote a lot of time to it.

same goes with football. played it all my life (high school, flag, pick-up). i know a lot about the game and can be classified as a football nerd.

but i don't have the pocket protector or taped-up glasses. i wear contacts.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-19-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #129
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
that's what he says on the air. he's bashed it on the air. so why would he say he plays? but i guarantee he actually does. it will be the scandal of the worthless radio hosts when it's revealed.

and why is someone who played not a nerd when it comes to being obsessed? unless you're sticking to the nerd definition as someone with a pocket protector and taped-up glasses. but then that doesn't fit with people that play fantasy football. they're not like that...

just because you played doesn't make your obsession any less nerd-like.

i'm passionate about basketball. played it all my life (high school, college, city leagues, pick-up, etc.). but i can be characterized as a basketball nerd, as i know so much about the game and devote a lot of time to it.

same goes with football. played it all my life (high school, flag, pick-up). i know a lot about the game and can be classified as a football nerd.

but i don't have the pocket protector or taped-up glasses. i wear contacts.
Pocket protectors come in Prada... That is the equivalent of contacts!

In all seriousness, I think you are confusing my reference of nerd to yours, (God I hope this doesn't turn into an MIP situation). Forget the stereotypes of guys with glasses and suspenders, or of guys that do something obsessively. So an obese person that is obsessed with food is a nerd in your definition? Come on man. When I say Fantasy Nerd, I am just talking about the majority of the guys that play and don't love the sport, don't watch the sport, never played the sport, and only pay attention sparingly so they can do well in their leagues. Sure, that doesn't apply to most people here, because this is a message board for Maverick fans and I know most everyone here posts about the games, reads the articles, attends the games, and truly - deep down - cares about sports. That is why I put the smiley in there and all that, but I DO get tired of hearing about it. I PMd you about all of this several times and we have talked back and forth about it several times. You know how I feel so no need to type a letter about it again here.

...and regarding Cowherd, dude, give that up. That is just some crazy opinion you have. Listen to him - he is pretty genuine about his hate for it. I would bet my left nut that he doesn't sniff a fantasy league for any sport.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 PM   #130
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

You are right in saying that not all people who play fantasy sports truly love the sport, but I would actually say most people who play them actually do. I love sports, and play fantasy sports because of that to learn more and cuz it's fun because it's centered around sports.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:43 PM   #131
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

it's not a crazy opinion. it's a conspiracy theory. that's his skeleton in the closet. Cowherd is the mark foley of fantasy sports.

yeah, there is such a thing as food nerds.

i also do not like those people that only play fantasy sports and don't care about the game in general. I just didn't agree with your sweeping generalization.

but we can keep this to PMs. it's been fun.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-19-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 PM   #132
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

I don't like the people who play fantasy sports and don't really care about the game, but I would say they are in the minority. Most people who play fantasy sports play them because they love the sport.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 PM   #133
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
I don't like the people who play fantasy sports and don't really care about the game, but I would say they are in the minority. Most people who play fantasy sports play them because they love the sport.
At least 80% of the people I know from work, (40ish people), fall under my category... At least 50% of my friends that play this play it for all sports and care about 1 or 2... I would stop short of betting my house, (sticking with U2s betting methods since he is such a fantasy nerd too), on the fact that there are more overall fantasy nerds than fantasy players.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #134
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
At least 80% of the people I know from work, (40ish people), fall under my category... At least 50% of my friends that play this play it for all sports and care about 1 or 2... I would stop short of betting my house, (sticking with U2s betting methods since he is such a fantasy nerd too), on the fact that there are more overall fantasy nerds than fantasy players.
I know both kinds. Lots of people play through their work just to do something as a group. Lots of people though play it because they really love the sport.

The point was though, you started out calling all people who played fantasy sports nerds, which isn't true. Yes there are some, even many, but not all. Many play them because they love the sport. That's the reason I play, and I don't find it nerdy at all.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #135
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

...despite being a nerd!

Yeah, I don't consider things to be true that knock me either.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 AM   #136
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I should hope there are those fish. Else, how would the leagues ever get filled?

As nashty says, it's a communal sort of thing. It's something you can brag about, or argue about, or negotiate about, when your buds get together.

It's not any different than the golf game or the poker game you have weekly with your buds. There will always be guys who take it more, and less, seriously than others. That's just the way it goes.

Fantasy is fun. Get off your horse and dig into it, and you will recognize it for yourself. Now, there *are* no cheats, like in the video games. You will actually have to use your mind for this one. And there stands a good chance that you won't be miles and miles ahead of second place. It's all about making yourself vulnerable and being willing to lose. Not sure you are ready to do that. Not sure you are ready for the week-in and week-out heartache.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #137
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I should hope there are those fish. Else, how would the leagues ever get filled?

As nashty says, it's a communal sort of thing. It's something you can brag about, or argue about, or negotiate about, when your buds get together.

It's not any different than the golf game or the poker game you have weekly with your buds. There will always be guys who take it more, and less, seriously than others. That's just the way it goes.

Fantasy is fun. Get off your horse and dig into it, and you will recognize it for yourself. Now, there *are* no cheats, like in the video games. You will actually have to use your mind for this one. And there stands a good chance that you won't be miles and miles ahead of second place. It's all about making yourself vulnerable and being willing to lose. Not sure you are ready to do that. Not sure you are ready for the week-in and week-out heartache.
Again, someone wants to knock me for DOMINATING the arcade... Someone that simply can't hang... But sure, make ME look like the one that can't hang...

Sure, thats it!
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #138
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't knock you. You are pretty damn awesome! But dip your wick into one of our fantasy leagues. I think you will find that it requires a different sort of skill.

I bow before you on the video games. In fact, I've often wondered just how it is that you are so able.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #139
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Chum, get with BBL and have him cc you on my PMs to him on why I feel the way I do on Fantasy leagues. No high horse involved.

And I dominate because I have skill. You have made two insinuating comments now regarding my domination being tainted... You have something to say?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #140
chumdawg
Guru

Sure, I'll say it. Your domination is tainted.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #141
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Hahaha... OK dude... Then come and take my domination from me!
Old 10-20-2006, 01:30 AM   #142
chumdawg
Guru

I don't know how to play those games.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:33 AM   #143
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

what has become of my sweet darling thread....
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #144
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

chum, i like the golf and poker game analogy. live fantasy drafts are hands-down one of the most fun things you will EVER do. EVER.

and yes, dan. you are an arcade cheater. i don't know how. but i know. i just know.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 10-20-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #145
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
chum, i like the golf and poker game analogy. live fantasy drafts are hands-down one of the most fun things you will EVER do. EVER.

and yes, dan. you are an arcade cheater. i don't know how. but i know. i just know.
Yeah, fantasy drafts are so fun. It's a mix of gambling (like waiting one more round before taking your sleeper pick etc.) and strategy. Very fun stuff.