Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2024, 11:37 PM   #81
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

PJ's defense so far has been legitimately surprising to me. Icing on the cake as I think his offensive role will settle in and be a difference maker.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2024, 02:31 AM   #82
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I'm going to celebrate this win because otherwise Kidd's decision not to play Hardy over THJ would ruin an amazing night.
The THJ getting minutes over Hardy is my one and only complaint tonight. Swap those two players and the Mavs probably win by 20 or more.

But yeah, I'm not gonna let that ruin this feeling. This is the best team we've had in many, many years. EASILY the best team in the Luka era. This team is leaps and bounds better than the one that went to the WCF. Unfortunately, the rest of the conference is also way better, so I have no idea how for we'll get in the playoffs. But man, I don't remember the last time I felt this good about the Mavs.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:41 AM   #83
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
PJ blocking KD is one of the top moments of the year
That was actually DJJ

Give that man his credit 😂
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #84
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
PJ's defense is just what I said he needed to do...and is doing it. The fact that he gives you a few points is just icing because that D is sick.
They trying to make him a 3&D player but his range isn't that good.

He has the defense part but offensively they got to use him differently
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:49 AM   #85
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

And it's the same issue they had with Grant IMO who is now flourishing with Charlotte.

I just think it's somewhat of an awkward position offensively when you don't really need ISO ball handling from the position. But Kidd can make it work if he was good enough of a coach.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:54 AM   #86
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Something makes me think that he will have a similar trendline to Dodo, though

Dodo went from 30 to 37 to 40 with us. He just had to get comfortable. He's going to get some open threes.

But if all we get is elite defense and 33% from three, I would be happy. He's also far superior to both Dodo and GWill in drives/slashes. He's way beyond what I'd expect from a guy in his 4th game in a brand new system.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-23-2024 at 10:56 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 01:21 PM   #87
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And it's the same issue they had with Grant IMO who is now flourishing with Charlotte.

I just think it's somewhat of an awkward position offensively when you don't really need ISO ball handling from the position. But Kidd can make it work if he was good enough of a coach.
See though, PJ has shot the 3 ball well in his career before. It will come around, plenty of adjustments coming from a perennial dog team to fitting into a winning rotation with better players for once.

And I'm not sure flourishing is the word I'd use for Grant. He's shot the 3 ball better since the trade, but only once decent rebounding game. He's the shiniest turd on that team and doing what he couldn't do here when guys were out. I think that was his final nail in the coffin here when he produced jack shit when everyone was out.

Promise I'm not targeting you/this comment, I'm just supremely glad Grant is no longer on my favorite team and elated at the upgrade in PJ over him.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:25 PM   #88
saclare
Platinum Member

Quote:
Something makes me think that he will have a similar trendline to Dodo, though

Dodo went from 30 to 37 to 40 with us. He just had to get comfortable. He's going to get some open threes.

But if all we get is elite defense and 33% from three, I would be happy. He's also far superior to both Dodo and GWill in drives/slashes. He's way beyond what I'd expect from a guy in his 4th game in a brand new system.
PJ is a much more polished shooter than Dodo ever was and he came into the league firing that way. 1st season he shot 37.4% on 4 attempts, 2nd season was 38.6% on 4.5 attempts. He started regressing after the first two seasons but not in a can't make this guy a 3&D type of way. He will come around on that end and it will open up his offensive game. Already enjoy watching him be able to put the ball down and make something else happen if the 3 is contested.

I think he will find his form and return to 35% plus. He's getting looks he has probably never seen in his NBA career to date. As good as the team is playing and not missing a stride since the deadline/acquisitions, we still need to be patient on a lot of fronts.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:44 PM   #89
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, PJ's ball handling is on a different planet than Dojo's. He is also a better defender, too. More poised. Dodo used energy and athleticism, but he often too too many risks. PJ is a steady ship.

Gafford also needs mention this game because he makes a big impact that doesn't show up in the box score. It's a little weird seeing Maxi get more minutes than either Lively or Gafford, but I get wanting the 3 point shooting.

Once Lively starts hitting threes (and Kidd allowing him to), then it's going to be a totally new team.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:09 PM   #90
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

I?ll admit I?ve seen very little of PJ before he became a maverick, but from what I have seen in four games, he is not a spot up shooter at all. The Mavs should use him very differently. He should be constantly moving on offense, and never just standing behind the three-point line. He should be cutting, curling, setting pics and rolling to the basket at all times. Just my first impression.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:49 PM   #91
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I?ll admit I?ve seen very little of PJ before he became a maverick, but from what I have seen in four games, he is not a spot up shooter at all. The Mavs should use him very differently. He should be constantly moving on offense, and never just standing behind the three-point line. He should be cutting, curling, setting pics and rolling to the basket at all times. Just my first impression.
Agreed, very athletic and finishes strong around the cup. I also think Green is the same way, it's like Kidd just spreads the floor and lets Kai and Doncic create. They become so much more dangerous when there is movement off the ball.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 03:37 PM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
You're right

points per possession on spot-up shots
DFS - 1.06
GWill - 0.96
PWash - 0.88 (0.92 last season, 1.03 the season before that)

He has had better seasons, but of the three PFs we've had recently, he's having the worst season of the three on spot ups. I expect it to change, but it'll take 20+ games so maybe by the playoffs he can be pulling at least 1ppp
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:58 PM   #93
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

If the Mavs keep this up, my wife and I may have to buy the team.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:48 AM   #94
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Remember, if we lose this game, we are pretenders and Luka isn't an MVP candidate. If we win, it's a fluke and Luka is still not an MVP candidate.

A win tonight would get us at least temporarily out of the play-in.

Both teams are 7-3 coming in, although Mavs went 1-3 and then 6-0. Suns 5-1 and 2-3

Only Exum out for the Mavs. Only Lee out for the Suns AFAIK.
We didn't lose the game, so Luka IS an MVP candidate.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:20 PM   #95
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Remember, if we lose this game, we are pretenders and Luka isn't an MVP candidate. If we win, it's a fluke and Luka is still not an MVP candidate.

A win tonight would get us at least temporarily out of the play-in.

Both teams are 7-3 coming in, although Mavs went 1-3 and then 6-0. Suns 5-1 and 2-3

Only Exum out for the Mavs. Only Lee out for the Suns AFAIK.
I apologize !!!! It was a fluke and Luka is still NOT an MVP candidate.

Of course. A very, very thoughtful post again by Erica.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 03-06-2024 at 02:21 PM.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote