Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default What can we get for Eddie Jones?

So Eddie Jones is going to exercise his player option, and I really don't want him on our roster taking up space--a young guy in that spot would be better. So what are the possible scenarios for Jones?

Here's what I'm thinking: he's going to make $2MM or so, right? Which costs the Mavs $4MM, even if they cut him, because of luxury tax.

So what if we trade Jones to a team that is under the cap, or under the LT threshhold and has a big enough trade exception, along with $3MM cash? That team can keep him or cut him, it really doesn't matter. Mavs save $1MM on Jones (arguably they about break even if they give a minimum contract to a young guy to fill the roster spot, but whatever). The other team pockets a cool mil for nothing, and gets Eddie Jones if they want to keep him (either to play, or as bait for a deadline deal). The Mavs also get a $2MM trade exception out of the deal, which they could use to try to acquire a player of up to what, about $2.6MM from another team in exchange for a future #2? It's not the trade that puts us over the top, but it gets us something better than Eddie Jones on our roster next year--and I'm bored at work today.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote