Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up.

Delhomme was not the reason the won that "Big Game". The fact that his running backs combined for over 300 yards rushing was the reason that Carolina won that "Big Game".
Deangelo Williams had more rushing yards than Delhomme had passing yards. All Delhomme had to do was hand off last night and he still managed to throw to the opposing team.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #2
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Deangelo Williams had more rushing yards than Delhomme had passing yards. All Delhomme had to do was hand off last night and he still managed to throw to the opposing team.
Let me back it up then because I can say the EXACT same for Romo. Deangelo and Choice had about the same total number of yards, so why did Romo not decide to just hand the ball off to Choice in the crunch rather than taking all those gambles in crunchtime? Thats on Romo, because he can make adjustments at the line of scrimmage.

My point again, is that Romo is a Mental Midget. All he had to do is make the right play by handing the ball off and let our defense hold up and win the game. Why did this NOT happen? Real simple. Romo as a QB does not make the right decisions in the crunch. That is part of his job is to make the right play, rather it be a pass or run. Once he gets to the line he can make all the adjustments needed to make the right play....
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Smoov View Post
Let me back it up then because I can say the EXACT same for Romo. Deangelo and Choice had about the same total number of yards, so why did Romo not decide to just hand the ball off to Choice in the crunch rather than taking all those gambles in crunchtime? Thats on Romo, because he can make adjustments at the line of scrimmage.
Here were Choice's 4th Quarter runs. We were up 13-3 at this point. AKA "crunch time".

1-10-DAL3 (12:20) T.Choice right guard to DAL 5 for 2 yards (Aa.Smith, R.Clark).
1-10-DAL14 (10:58) T.Choice up the middle to DAL 14 for no gain (T.Polamalu, J.Farrior).
3-5-DAL19 (9:28) (Shotgun) T.Choice right guard to DAL 18 for -1 yards (T.Polamalu).
1-10-DAL40 (7:15) T.Choice right tackle to DAL 41 for 1 yard (L.Woodley).
1-10-DAL15 (1:58) (Shotgun) T.Choice up the middle to DAL 17 for 2 yards (J.Farrior, T.Kirschke).

If only we had 5th downs like Colorado, we could actually make something out of those 2-yarders.

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 12-09-2008 at 02:45 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #4
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Here were Choice's 4th Quarter runs. We were up 13-3 at this point. AKA "crunch time".

1-10-DAL3 (12:20) T.Choice right guard to DAL 5 for 2 yards (Aa.Smith, R.Clark).
1-10-DAL14 (10:58) T.Choice up the middle to DAL 14 for no gain (T.Polamalu, J.Farrior).
3-5-DAL19 (9:28) (Shotgun) T.Choice right guard to DAL 18 for -1 yards (T.Polamalu).
1-10-DAL40 (7:15) T.Choice right tackle to DAL 41 for 1 yard (L.Woodley).
1-10-DAL15 (1:58) (Shotgun) T.Choice up the middle to DAL 17 for 2 yards (J.Farrior, T.Kirschke).

If only we had 5th downs like Colorado, we could actually make something out of those 2-yarders.
Ok, lets have "Real Talk".

How many pts did Pitt get from that? ZERO

What happens sometimes after that? Romo INT for a 7pt score for Pitt

No matter what, if Whitten makes his break, that is still an INT. That ball was poorly thrown, in addition to Whitten not getting out of his break. No matter what that is an INT for a TD...Now, stop making excuses for Romo...
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ok, lets have "Real Talk".

How many pts did Pitt get from that? ZERO

What happens sometimes after that? Romo INT for a 7pt score for Pitt

No matter what, if Whitten makes his break, that is still an INT. That ball was poorly thrown, in addition to Whitten not getting out of his break. No matter what that is an INT for a TD...Now, stop making excuses for Romo...
So what did you think we should do in the last two minutes of the game? Run the ball so that we prevent Pittsburgh from getting an interception that they return for a touchdown? Let's say Choice leads us to another 3 and out and Pittsburgh gets the ball with 1:30. Now, they have all the momentum in the world and need only a field goal.

And even if Choice does get the first down, what is the result of your strategy? Choice runs the clock out and takes us to overtime? Why is that a good a strategy?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
So what did you think we should do in the last two minutes of the game? Run the ball so that we prevent Pittsburgh from getting an interception that they return for a touchdown? Let's say Choice leads us to another 3 and out and Pittsburgh gets the ball with 1:30. Now, they have all the momentum in the world and need only a field goal.

And even if Choice does get the first down, what is the result of your strategy? Choice runs the clock out and takes us to overtime? Why is that a good a strategy?
Thanks for answering your own question. I put both strategies in bold so you know how to manage a game better.

Ooooh, by the way, Romo could also hit the open WR and run the clock out or win the game as well. So, there are other options out there in managing a game..FYI
Old 12-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for answering your own question. I put both strategies in bold so you know how to manage a game better.

Ooooh, by the way, Romo could also hit the open WR and run the clock out or win the game as well. So, there are other options out there in managing a game..FYI
So you think Romo saw three options: run the ball, throw it to a receiver, or throw it to Deshea Townsend, and he chose answer c?

If you want him to throw it to a receiver, I hate to break it to you, he just might throw an interception. Football's a crazy game like that.

And considering the fact that Choice was average something like 1 ypc, how on earth do you expect him to run the clock out?

And if he does run the clock out, what happens if you never see the ball again because Pittsburgh wins the flip and marches right down the field for the score like they did on their last two drives. Then what do you think of your genius strategy?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #8
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
I like how you totally neglect the fact that Carolina's backup running back (Jonathan Stewart) had 115 yards by himself. If you think Choice running the ball against Pittsburgh was anywhere near as effective as what the Carolina backs did last night, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd love to see the lists of teams that lose when their running backs combine for 300. I bet it's slim no matter who the quarterback is.

And did you not pay attention to how much we tried to hand off to Choice in the fourth quarter that got nowhere? The Steelers defense wasn't going to let us run the clock out, they were too good for it. We tried to run the clock out when we had the lead, but it failed pretty miserably. When else did you think we should run the ball? During the 2 minute drill?

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson

Last edited by FINtastic; 12-09-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
I like how you totally neglect the fact that Carolina's backup running back (Jonathan Stewart) had 115 yards by himself. If you think Choice running the ball against Pittsburgh was anywhere near as effective as what the Carolina backs did last night, I don't know what to tell you.

I'd love to see the lists of teams that lose when their running backs combine for 300. I bet it's slim no matter who the quarterback is.

And did you not pay attention to how much we tried to hand off to Choice in the fourth quarter that got nowhere? The Steelers defense wasn't going to let us run the clock out, they were too good for it. We tried to run the clock out when we had the lead, but it failed pretty miserably. When else did you think we should run the ball? During the 2 minute drill?
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. Just keep coming up with them.

No matter what, running the ball for 1+yd is betting than throwing an INT for a TD. As of matter of fact. Running the ball for negative yds is better as well. It is all about managing the game. I will take 3 straight plays of no yds than throwing the ball for an INT for a TD.

Our defense played great all night long, so I would have found a way to manage for the defense to finish off the game. I am talking about all the mess at the end of the game before that last drive by the Cowboys.

Feel free to continue the excuses.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
Excuses, Excuses, Excuses. Just keep coming up with them.

No matter what, running the ball for 1+yd is betting than throwing an INT for a TD. As of matter of fact. Running the ball for negative yds is better as well. It is all about managing the game. I will take 3 straight plays of no yds than throwing the ball for an INT for a TD.

Our defense played great all night long, so I would have found a way to manage for the defense to finish off the game. I am talking about all the mess at the end of the game before that last drive by the Cowboys.

Feel free to continue the excuses.
Our defense played great all night long? Seriously, did you not even watch the fourth quarter? There's a reason the score went from 13-3 to 13-13, and contrary to what you seem to believe, it was not Tony Romo.

But let's play along and pretend that all of the sudden the defense would have stopped acting like the sieve they were at the end of the 4th quarter and would have stopped Pittsburgh. How does the defense then finish off the game? Are you expecting them to get a turnover returned for a touchdown? How much time do you expect it to take for your defense to finish them off? You know the game eventually runs out of time, Donovan.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 12-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:

My point again, is that Romo is a Mental Midget. All he had to do is make the right play by handing the ball off and let our defense hold up and win the game. Why did this NOT happen? Real simple. Romo as a QB does not make the right decisions in the crunch. That is part of his job is to make the right play, rather it be a pass or run. Once he gets to the line he can make all the adjustments needed to make the right play....
Choice was getting 1 yard here or 2 yards there. It was causing us to have 3rd and 8. And you're forgetting that Jonathan Stewart had 120 yards himself. That's what the Cowboys missed. They missed Barber. He's the closer. And Choice had a great game. He did something no other running back this year could do and he murdered the Steelers. But when it was time to use some clock the Steelers were stopping our running game. And let me say this about the Bucc's. Its not that they weren't there to tackle. Its just they were getting ran over. Especially Ronde Barber. I was expecting for him to say he was about to retire after that game.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #12
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Silk, I really don't understand your complaints of Romo. I don't know if you're bandwaggon fan or what but coming from a guy who lived through Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson i'm thankful to have Romo. We've been with over 10 quarterbacks and every single one of them except 3rd stringer Drew Henson is out of the league. So I guess my next question is who do you propose we get next season to start for us? Rex Grossman is out there. Matt Cassell might or might not be out there. Who's the guy you want?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #13
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Silk, I really don't understand your complaints of Romo. I don't know if you're bandwaggon fan or what but coming from a guy who lived through Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson and Drew Henson i'm thankful to have Romo. We've been with over 10 quarterbacks and every single one of them except 3rd stringer Drew Henson is out of the league. So I guess my next question is who do you propose we get next season to start for us? Rex Grossman is out there. Matt Cassell might or might not be out there. Who's the guy you want?
Let me say this again...Romo is a "Mental Midget".....That is as simple as you can get....I have said many times that Romo has all the tools to be a great QB, but he is just a "Mental Midget"....There have been alot of Mental Midget QB's who have learned to manage the game and become the great QB that they could be..

I say again, Romo is a "Mental Midget"....Does that mean I said get rid of him?? NO!!!! I am saying loud and clear that he is a "Mental Midget"....What do you do as a "Mental Midget" to get to the next level? You learn the game, you look at films, you call players like Aikman, Montana type of guys to learn how to manage the game. You do the little things to put your team in the best position to win. In other words, you "LEARN" to play the game the right way to help your team win...Is that clear enough?

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 12-10-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Let me say this again...Romo is a "Mental Midget".....That is as simple as you can get....I have said many times that Romo has all the tools to be a great QB, but he is just a "Mental Midget"....There have been alot of Mental Midget QB's who have learned to manage the game and become the great QB that they could be..

I say again, Romo is a "Mental Midget"....Does that mean I said get rid of him?? NO!!!! I am saying loud and cleat that he is a "Mental Midget"....What do you do as a "Mental Midget" to get to the next level? You learn the game, you look at films, you can players like Aikman, Montana type of guys to learn how to manage the game. You do the little things to put your team in the best position to win. In other words, you "LEARN" to play the game the right way to help your team win...Is that clear enough?
So we've been arguing this whole time about what name you want to call him. Great. I find that hard to believe. With two years as the starting QB you are giving him little to no leeway for error.. expecting him to do things only the likes of Tom Brady and Ben Roethlesburger have done.

Now who would you really want over him right now? (assuming players that are available of course)

Last edited by Windmill360; 12-10-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM   #15
Silk Smoov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360° View Post
So we've been arguing this whole time about what name you want to call him. Great. I find that hard to believe. With two years as the starting QB you are giving him little to no leeway for error.. expecting him to do things only the likes of Tom Brady and Ben Roethlesburger have done.

Now who would you really want over him right now? (assuming players that are available of course)
Stop with the excuses about Romo...Romo is a grown man and a professional athlete and the highest paid player on this team, and one of the highest paid QB in the league. Why do you give him a pass? WHY? This guy was given a team that is the "Team to Beat" with a All Pro RB, WR and TE!!!!!!!! This team was bought by Jerry to win "NOW"!!!!! So, why would I give Romo all these excuses??? In two COMPLETE years here, I have given Romo all the excuses in the world. I have left Romo alone until after this game...So, what are you talking about?

Problem is that you dont want to hear "ME" criticize Romo for "SOME" reason?! You know what? I could care less!!!! None of this talk bother me at all. OUR Cowboys have a "Mental Midget" for a QB..Is it fixable???? HELL YES!!!! Who can fix it? ONLY ROMO!!!!

Last edited by Silk Smoov; 12-10-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Tags
ass hattery, creditxpert2003, douchebaggery, ed werder hates t.o., homo raters, romo haters, romo homers, to + witten = <3